Friend of mine has bugged out [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Friend of mine has bugged out

RMTactical
04-22-2012, 17:57
Kind of, check it out though. He is a pretty hardcore prepper, far moreso than me.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/04/bugged-out-a-homesteading-beginning.html#comment-2162

Dexters
04-22-2012, 19:33
How does he earn income?

BORNGEARHEAD
04-22-2012, 19:42
Great forum.

glockaviator
04-22-2012, 21:53
How does he earn income?

Selling to preppers.:whistling:

G22Dude
04-22-2012, 22:00
Great forum.

I learned a lot within the first 10 mins there

RMTactical
04-22-2012, 22:01
How does he earn income?

He does a little bit of everything actually. He is former USAF. He is a software engineer, but he runs that website, among others, also teaches survival skills. He does a lot of other cool stuff like search and rescue as well.

I am more of a casual prepper. I live a normal life for the most part, and I have a little bit more than the average person in terms of knowledge and preps.

This guy "lives" prepping every single day.

UtahIrishman
04-22-2012, 22:03
Interesting read

Dexters
04-23-2012, 08:08
He does a little bit of everything actually. He is former USAF. He is a software engineer, but he runs that website, among others, also teaches survival skills. He does a lot of other cool stuff like search and rescue as well.

I am more of a casual prepper. I live a normal life for the most part, and I have a little bit more than the average person in terms of knowledge and preps.

This guy "lives" prepping every single day.

I read the linked to info a couple of times. I didn't find where he says 'why now'. That interest me more - why now, what to look for etc, very few people can do what he is doing. It is like day dreaming about winning the lottery for most people. People just can't quit their job, move the family and establish a new job an life in a remote area.

There are a lot people on the net who make there money from talking about prepping to other prppers.

Bugging out in a RV isn't new.

This guy has been doing it the right way for 8 years. Maybe if he called himself a prepper he would make more money.

http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/

Lowdown3
04-23-2012, 08:54
Glad to see others doing it. If you can, you should.

This life is not for everyone.

People think if you move your family to the country, put in gardens, get off grid, raise animals and secure your homestead that you expect the S to HTF tomorrow. That's not the case for most of us. We just like living in the country. We like knowing where our food comes from (about 100 yards from here). We like to have some control over what we consume, whether it's power, water or food. We like the slower country life.

Some of us understand and value the economic implications of living this way. The control of our own resources we consume is important from a survival standpoint, but the savings realized on a day to day basis. So whether it's TSHTF or COLMOLLIIN, we live the way we want to live and enjoy life.

When you are completely debt free, produce your own power, have several income sources, raise most of your own food, you have a much lower need for money. Note I did not say you don't need money. However the people that make this lifestyle work do not live off of "selling eggs and homemade cheese." That's ridiculous and anyone that has that as their sole plan has no plan.

Yes moving out of familiar surroundings in the city or suburbs can be scary for some people. We moved 13 years ago and yes it does take some adjustment. I never lived in the country before, was not raised in the country, etc. This has just been my plan for my entire life.

Whether TEOTWAWKI or COLMOLLIIN, we will be here doing what we've been building for 16 years. If nothing ever happens, great! We will keep living like we are living now and we will have a really inexpensive retirement. If something ever does happen, we will be where we need to be.

Lowdown3

pugman
04-27-2012, 19:35
While this is an interesting read and I would welcome the opportunity to pay him to live there for two weeks to see how he does stuff he hasn't bugged out so much as he has decided to live off the grid.

Semantics maybe but he even said he moved 9 fully loaded trailers, pulled by a loaded van AND RV full of stuff

Given the right amount of time (which apparently he had) I think anyone could do it the bigger question is would you want to.

My BIL is ready to go within a year - all he needs is to find a piece of land which I have agreed to go in on with him; I have yet to see his future home's layout - however as an engineer he has told me his design will be as energy efficient as possible (especially during cold Wisconsin winters) and highly efficient when it comes to space.

Please encourage your friend to post updates as I'm very interested...maybe even charge a small fee :supergrin:

RMTactical
04-27-2012, 20:55
He's posted a few times since then.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/04/buggedout-filtering-water-improvised-solutions.html

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/04/buggedout-hoop-houses-and-lazy-sundays.html

He also has a facebook page if you are on there.

https://www.facebook.com/Preppers

Syclone538
04-28-2012, 00:17

Whether TEOTWAWKI or COLMOLLIIN,

Three hits on yahoo, and none of them say what it is.

AK_Stick
04-28-2012, 01:10
sounds like he's screwing his kids up for his fantasy "test"

Protus
04-28-2012, 04:53
Three hits on yahoo, and none of them say what it is.

plenty of hits on google......

Protus
04-28-2012, 05:02
Glad to see others doing it. If you can, you should.

This life is not for everyone.

People think if you move your family to the country, put in gardens, get off grid, raise animals and secure your homestead that you expect the S to HTF tomorrow. That's not the case for most of us. We just like living in the country. We like knowing where our food comes from (about 100 yards from here). We like to have some control over what we consume, whether it's power, water or food. We like the slower country life.

Some of us understand and value the economic implications of living this way. The control of our own resources we consume is important from a survival standpoint, but the savings realized on a day to day basis. So whether it's TSHTF or COLMOLLIIN, we live the way we want to live and enjoy life.

When you are completely debt free, produce your own power, have several income sources, raise most of your own food, you have a much lower need for money. Note I did not say you don't need money. However the people that make this lifestyle work do not live off of "selling eggs and homemade cheese." That's ridiculous and anyone that has that as their sole plan has no plan.

Yes moving out of familiar surroundings in the city or suburbs can be scary for some people. We moved 13 years ago and yes it does take some adjustment. I never lived in the country before, was not raised in the country, etc. This has just been my plan for my entire life.

Whether TEOTWAWKI or COLMOLLIIN, we will be here doing what we've been building for 16 years. If nothing ever happens, great! We will keep living like we are living now and we will have a really inexpensive retirement. If something ever does happen, we will be where we need to be.

Lowdown3

Well said LD.

There's so much more freedom imho once your not "tied" into the daily grid let alone the real one. Thats one major reason why i plan to move to a small 2k+ rural populated town...
I'll know where my food comes from..i'll know who lives around me...i'll know that if i dont make what i need $$ wise we have to work harder with our hands to make that gap smaller...in other words have something to show for our hard work vs just a pay check to " buy" things with. Now , dont anyone take that as me saying i dont need nor want money. Ive just used what money we have to become debt free vs buying the newest rifle, camo or gear like many "preppers" do.Doing that and becoming debt free really shows you how so many really are slaves to the dollar and their jobs and sacrificing so much along the way ( family time, life time, and health) Stuff that is so much more valuable than a piece of "paper".

Bug out? yeah i'd call it that. Making the choice to do it pre event is a lot BRIGHTER than waiting for "shtf" or colomolliin to do it...:wavey:

i cant wait till i fill up my bug out U- haul and head out of this city ......

RMTactical
04-28-2012, 09:27
sounds like he's screwing his kids up for his fantasy "test"

How so?

AK_Stick
04-28-2012, 11:24
Because those kids are not going to grow up well adjusted and socialized.

It can be bad enough with regular home schooled kids. More than likely these kids being so remote, will be pretty much screwed.

RMTactical
04-28-2012, 14:20
Because those kids are not going to grow up well adjusted and socialized.

It can be bad enough with regular home schooled kids. More than likely these kids being so remote, will be pretty much screwed.

I assure you that you don't have a grasp on the situation if you think these kids don't ever spend time around other kids.

AK_Stick
04-28-2012, 16:26
The question is not if they ever do, but if they do enough to grow up to be normal, well socialized kids.

I've dealt with a whole lot of home schooled kids, and you can pick them out 90% of the time just by the way they act. The more remote they are growing up, the more it stands out.

auto-5
04-28-2012, 16:44
Some men buy a vet when they have a mid life crises some go live like a hippie in the mountains. Personally I would rather have the car.

Lowdown3
04-29-2012, 07:07
:upeyes:

I always wonder why the hell some of the posters here are even on a "survival" message board.

Folks, it's about a lot more than just buying crap...

Lord I miss the old (real) survivalist movement.

I've dealt with a whole lot of home schooled kids, and you can pick them out 90% of the time just by the way they act. The more remote they are growing up, the more it stands out.

The same could be said about kids reared on the pablum of publix skewl edumakations.

It's always been about parenting, it will always be about parenting. If the parent is a POS and does nothing at all to teach and train the child, the child will be a POS, no matter if they go to publix indoctrination center or are homeschooled.

Like the famous movie line- "I've seen it before pal", too damn many times to tell you working with kids in various functions over the years.

It's the PARENTS responsibility to educate the children.

There is that big word we all hate that is at the heart of all the problems we are having today- RESPONSIBILITY. :wow:

Stevekozak
04-29-2012, 08:14
It's always been about parenting, it will always be about parenting. .

It's the PARENTS responsibility to educate the children.

There is that big word we all hate that is at the heart of all the problems we are having today- RESPONSIBILITY. :wow:
Amen, Brother!!

Dexters
04-29-2012, 08:25
I always wonder why the hell some of the posters here are even on a "survival" message board.

Folks, it's about a lot more than just buying crap...

So true. When I see these out of shape, overweight dudes loaded down with weapons but no food or water it motivates me to stay in shape. I'll just take their stuff off their dead, cold bodies and out of their dead, cold hands.

Seriously, a well prepared body and brain will serve a person better then multiple survival knives.

I wonder how many of these people with all that equipment are in debt or do not have an emergency fund.

callihan_44
04-29-2012, 14:28
The question is not if they ever do, but if they do enough to grow up to be normal, well socialized kids.

I do not agree with your premise that home schooled kids are not normal because they havent been exposed to the socialized nonsense our public schools offer, however I can see this excuse being used by the government against those who live off the grid to take those kids away...I think it says alot that a parent cares enough to personally take charge of their kids education/spending more time with them than just dumping them off to the state.

auto-5
04-29-2012, 16:05
I do not agree with your premise that home schooled kids are not normal because they havent been exposed to the socialized nonsense our public schools offer, however I can see this excuse being used by the government against those who live off the grid to take those kids away...I think it says alot that a parent cares enough to personally take charge of their kids education/spending more time with them than just dumping them off to the state.

Fine send them to private schools but kids need to be around other kids growing up.

And yes you can pick out home schooled kids. They act ****ing strange. You would too if the first time you really interacted with you're peer group was when you were 18 and heading off to college.

AK_Stick
04-29-2012, 16:15

Some parents take the time to get their kids out to sports/programs etc, and they have normal well adjusted kids who were home schooled.

However, they are not the norm. The majority that I see, spent most of their time with just family, maybe an adjoining family on the farm next to them/close neighbor, and they're socially retarded when they leave the familys property. They may be smart, and have a better education than a publicly schooled kid, but they almost always struggle when it comes to functioning normally in the real world.

rickster62
04-30-2012, 18:40
The real kids who will be screwed up are the ones that are glue to their cell phones and video games 24/7. If the SHTF these
kids will NEVER survive.

auto-5
04-30-2012, 19:09
The real kids who will be screwed up are the ones that are glue to their cell phones and video games 24/7. If the SHTF these
kids will NEVER survive.

Odds are S will never HTF in you're lifetime. Or at least HTF hard enough that you're life is in danger. Modern kids will at least interact with enough people that they will be able to function in society.

Syclone538
04-30-2012, 23:23
plenty of hits on google......

Well I guess you could consider 10 plenty. The fist one does not say what it is. What it does say is that Lowdown made it up.

Lowdown3
05-01-2012, 05:58
Well I guess you could consider 10 plenty. The fist one does not say what it is. What it does say is that Lowdown made it up.

I guess we as survivalists are more used to people copying others ideas and calling them their own than when someone goes off in a different direction aren't we?

Maybe THAT is part of it, a joke on some of this new crowd that is basically just restating old concepts and acting like it's their's. Acting like survivalism didn't exist before 2005 to 2008 when THEY got into it?

Could be...

Could be something else, could be a reminder to folks that while TEOTWAWKI will probably not happen in their lifetime, that good preparations and smart survival planning WILL serve them well, whether or not something major does happen. Could be getting people used to the idea that while things are bad now, they may slug along like this for a fairly long while- without a complete breakdown.

Could be about the Continuation of Life more or less like it is now....

I.e, always plan for tomorrow and the future and WHATEVER it may hold- SHTF, old age, life changes.

Listen to the podcast about it, it will begin to make the concept more clear.

Syclone538
05-01-2012, 08:39
Continuation of Life more or less like it is now....

Thank you. I just didn't like being expected to just already know something that the only way I could see to maybe figure it out was to download a zip from a site I've never been to before.

Lowdown3
05-01-2012, 11:19
Thank you. I just didn't like being expected to just already know something that the only way I could see to maybe figure it out was to download a zip from a site I've never been to before.

It's a podcast and it should open up in a player without the need to download it. Thanks.