Police: Shooting Of Home Intruder Was Self-Defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Police: Shooting Of Home Intruder Was Self-Defense

DOC44
04-22-2012, 20:24
Investigators said Michael Moffitt and his girlfriend, Caycee Albright, heard a knock at their door around 11 p.m. and Moffitt found the door peephole was covered. He told Albright to call police while he got an AR-15 rifle and opened the door once he saw it was uncovered.

Police said Martin charged in with a semi-automatic pistol and wearing a mask and gloves. Moffitt was shoved into an interior wall and opened fired, killing Martin.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/17595261/police-shooting-of-home-intruder-was-self-defense

Doc44

janice6
04-22-2012, 20:28
Once again, Goodness triumphs over Evilness..........

Good shoot.

B_RAD
04-22-2012, 20:45
If only armed robbery/home invasion/murder were illegal, then these types of events would not happen! :whistling:

Glad to see these folks were able to protect themselves.

BobbyT
04-22-2012, 20:58
Martin? Any relation to Tay Tay?

Glock30Eric
04-23-2012, 06:37
I don't understand why the one want to rob a gun-enthusiast; it often come out something similiar to this situation. I feel sorry for the dead guy.

Albright said she knew Martin through friends and police think he might have come to rob Moffitt of his guns. Moffitt is a firearms enthusiast and had legal weapons in his apartment.

eracer
04-23-2012, 07:12
I don't understand why the one want to rob a gun-enthusiast; it often come out something similiar to this situation. I feel sorry for the dead guy.

Your last sentence was a joke, right?

smokin762
04-23-2012, 07:28
Now, this is a good example of how a gun owner needs to keep better company.

The girlfriend knew the bad guy through friends of hers. She must have shot off at the mouth to her friends that her boyfriend is into guns. Then they tell him.

Then girlfriend was arrested for an outstanding warrant.

This dude needs to cute loose the bad company before it get's him into trouble.:upeyes:

smokin762
04-23-2012, 07:31
I am a little surprised that TBO didn't post this story first. He usually tries to get gun owners and CCW holders to learn about mistakes and what you should do to avoid them.

Bren
04-23-2012, 07:37

I do understand exactly why someone would rob a gun enthusiast (they have guns and most of them aren't really up to a fight) and I don't feel at all sorry for the dead guy - I am happy that he is dead.

Glock30Eric
04-23-2012, 07:47
Your last sentence was a joke, right?

Honest, I think he shouldn't do it at first place. I felt sorry for him because he was that dumb. I do not enjoy hearing people getting killed over their crime acts.

jay-bird
04-23-2012, 07:55
Honest, I think he shouldn't do it at first place. I felt sorry for him because he was that dumb. I do not enjoy hearing people getting killed over their crime acts.

The repeat-felon broke into someone's residence. He got what he deserved.

It's not like he was just walking around outside, looking "suspicious".

Glock30Eric
04-23-2012, 08:22
The repeat-felon broke into someone's residence. He got what he deserved.

It's not like he was just walking around outside, looking "suspicious".

Yes, he deserved it and yet I feel sorry for him.

DOC44
04-23-2012, 08:29
A multiple felon who was turning his life around and was going to sell the guns to get money to go to medical school and then help the sick children in Detroit.

Doc44

jay-bird
04-23-2012, 08:35
I feel sorry for his loved ones. They've known this would happen. And it has. Life goes on.

FL Airedale
04-23-2012, 08:41
If someone covers my peephole, I'm not opening the door. When the bad guy breaks the door down, it is an even better shoot.

Glock30Eric
04-23-2012, 10:07
If someone covers my peephole, I'm not opening the door. When the bad guy breaks the door down, it is an even better shoot.

I agree and I'll rack the slide to make a noise as a warning.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cavalry Doc
04-23-2012, 11:16
I agree and I'll rack the slide to make a noise as a warning.

Why would you drop a live round on the floor when you are facing a threat.

DOC44
04-23-2012, 11:56
Why would you drop a live round on the floor when you are facing a threat.

The click from the cocking of the hammer on the ole "97" should be enough warning for anyone.

:dunno:

Doc44

Sam Spade
04-23-2012, 14:22
Yes, he deserved it and yet I feel sorry for him.

Never feel sorry for those who receive justice.

Gunnut 45/454
04-23-2012, 14:49
Sam Spade
AGREED!! He probably needed to find justice a few crimes earlier! A fresh breeze through the gene pool!

FL Airedale
My exact thought why open the door! He's lucky the BG didn't pop a cap through the peep hole!:shocked: And definately dump the GF it isn't golden and there's alot more out there to choose from!

4TS&W
04-23-2012, 15:01
Birth certificate REVOKED.

Good shoot.

I think its pretty tough to shoot someone at point blank range, when they have a pistol and you have a long gun. Extra credit for muzzle control and weapon retention.

bear62
04-23-2012, 15:04
Good story. One less bad guy..... :thumbsup:

jastroud
04-23-2012, 15:06

+1 on this

bear62
04-23-2012, 15:07
I see Martin is black. Why no protests from Jackson and Sharpton???:whistling:

BLACKMAGICK
04-23-2012, 15:19

Really? You feel sorry for a convicted felon that apparently decided to expand his resume to include armed home invasion?

I feel sorry too...sorry it didn't happen sooner.

Understand something. There are worthless, pieces of **** in this world that would kill you and the ones you love just as soon as look at you...some for what it can get them...some for the hell of it. Nothing to feel sorry for here.

He knocked...wut? Darwin award winner.

dodgecope89
04-23-2012, 15:20

That was my first thought. I mean yeah go get the gun and be ready but im just gonna stand back an let him bust the door down or come through a window. Opening the door leaves you open for exactly what happened to him getting slammed against the wall. Maybe it was skill that allowed him to overcome this but i think he was probably just very fortunate the door thing didn't come back to bite him in the end. Oh well end story is good prevails over evil once again thats the best outcome there could be.

Sent from my IGlock 4s

Glock30Eric
04-23-2012, 15:55
Really? You feel sorry for a convicted felon that apparently decided to expand his resume to include armed home invasion?

I feel sorry too...sorry it didn't happen sooner.

Understand something. There are worthless, pieces of **** in this world that would kill you and the ones you love just as soon as look at you...some for what it can get them...some for the hell of it. Nothing to feel sorry for here.

He knocked...wut? Darwin award winner.

Guys,

He deserved to be killed in action for his crime. If I were in that situation and I probably would have shot him. I feel sorry for him that his life was ended by that way. It is a really too bad for him.

Kingarthurhk
04-23-2012, 16:02
Martin? Any relation to Tay Tay?

I hope not, because Sharpton, Jackson, Spike Lee, Obama, and the Panthers will riot and protest until the home owner is arrested and given trumped up charges.

Meanwhile, NBC will splice the 911 call to make it sound racist.

Cavalry Doc
04-23-2012, 16:44
Guys,

He deserved to be killed in action for his crime. If I were in that situation and I probably would have shot him. I feel sorry for him that his life was ended by that way. It is a really too bad for him.

I feel bad for the homeowner. It looks real cool to shoot someone on TV and in the movies. You're the hero and everyone loves you, and you're over it by next weeks episode. The reality is that you are worried about prosecution, civil liability, the new way your neighbors look at you, the potential a dozen of his friends will show up at your place looking for revenge, or maybe they'll go to your girlfriends house, or your parents house, your child's bus stop etc....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the second worst thing that could happen to me in a fight/robbery would be to have to shoot someone.

Glock30Eric
04-23-2012, 18:01
I feel bad for the homeowner. It looks real cool to shoot someone on TV and in the movies. You're the hero and everyone loves you, and you're over it by next weeks episode. The reality is that you are worried about prosecution, civil liability, the new way your neighbors look at you, the potential a dozen of his friends will show up at your place looking for revenge, or maybe they'll go to your girlfriends house, or your parents house, your child's bus stop etc....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the second worst thing that could happen to me in a fight/robbery would be to have to shoot someone.

Agree

QNman
04-23-2012, 18:15
Wait... Martin was a convicted felon AND he had a pistol? How is that possible? :dunno:

This guy is a disease. The world is better without him.