Tactical light recommendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical light recommendations

chascar
04-23-2012, 06:34
Hi all new to the forum am a retired LEO and carried a G27 for off duty, and have been hooked on combat tupperware eversince. I am looking to pick up a tactical light and was thinking of an Insight Procyon for my G34. I would be interested in any other recommendations, or experiences with other options. I found the Procyon for $ 115.00 and it seems like a solid unit.

Stay safe

Charles

Iron sharpens as a man sharpens the countenance of his friends Pro. 27:17

jwhite75
04-23-2012, 07:07
Hi all new to the forum am a retired LEO and carried a G27 for off duty, and have been hooked on combat tupperware eversince. I am looking to pick up a tactical light and was thinking of an Insight Procyon for my G34. I would be interested in any other recommendations, or experiences with other options. I found the Procyon for $ 115.00 and it seems like a solid unit.

Stay safe

Charles

Iron sharpens as a man sharpens the countenance of his friends Pro. 27:17

For that money I highly suggest looking at the Surefire line. The E2DL is a great light and if you contact Surefire they will discount you for LEO status. Plus it has the crenelated bezel and button end to use as a strike implement. I currently carry a Surefire E1L during working hours in my suit, which is a great light also then switch to the E2 after hours. If you need or want POlymer. The G2 L is also a great choice.

Brad55102
04-23-2012, 11:12
you wont find a Surefire for that price
the BEST light in that price range is the
Streamlight TLR-1

Amazon.com: Streamlight TLR-1S Rail Mounted Tactical with Strobe: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4150jkWJnfL.@@AMEPARAM@@4150jkWJnfL

fuzzy03cls
04-23-2012, 11:25
Surefire X300

Handhelds go to Fenix. Very bright well made lights for cheap prices.

MadMonkey
04-23-2012, 11:28
Streamlight TLR-1

Wizz
04-23-2012, 11:50
Surefire X300

+1 X300 is super nice and built like a tank. Fenix is indeed better than the new versions of Surefire handhelds...priced better as well.

itstime
04-23-2012, 12:21
Streamlight for budget

Surefire for the absolute best but you do pay for it.

boomhower
04-23-2012, 18:13
Another vote for the TLR-1/TLR-1S.

chascar
04-23-2012, 19:34
Thanks for all the input I've got a line on a X300 it really is built like a tank will let you know and post some pics. What would you recommend for a good Drop leg rig our tac guys all use blackhawks thats what they recommended.

jwhite75
04-23-2012, 19:52
Thanks for all the input I've got a line on a X300 it really is built like a tank will let you know and post some pics. What would you recommend for a good Drop leg rig our tac guys all use blackhawks thats what they recommended.

Safariland 6004 is the benchmark. I dont like the SERPA release system.

I agree with the Streamlight also.... they are both excellent I have an older SF X200 which is an X300 with an older design. The Streamlight and SF will be easier to find holsters for.

RayB
04-25-2012, 17:16
For the OP's application, I would recommend weapon lights as follows...

GOOD: Streamlight TLR-1 (Later Generation)

BETTER: Insight WX150 (Replaces Procyon)

BEST: SureFire X300 (Replaces X200 A&B)

All of these are good, and any one of them will offer impressive preformance, and serve great for home-defense and bedside duty, but both the SureFire and the Insight are a bit more hardened for actual use in the field.

The SureFire and Insight are also better optically, but whether that justifies the price bump, you'd have to decide for yourselves...

Just an FYI thingy... The SureFire X300 will not lock-up beneath the LaserMax Uni-Max (Red or Green) on 3rd Gen Glocks, because the lamp body is too long, and hits the trigger guard. However, the Insight XTI Procyon & WX150, with their shorter lamp bodies, will lock-up nicely! Not sure about the TLR-1...

--Ray

RayB
04-25-2012, 17:34

This...

Any of these guys would serve well as a pocket light...

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_PD_Series.html

I bought my wife a Fenix PD10 (now discontinued) from these guys, last fall, and it is one impressive little flashlight!

It is recommended that Fenix lights be purchased from an authorized distributor, like Fenix Gear, if you want prompt attention for a possible warranty issue....

Check this animal out!

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/fenix_TK70.html#catalog/img/8-tk70.jpg

--Ray