Do any atheists want to argue with a fellow atheist? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do any atheists want to argue with a fellow atheist?

Gunhaver
04-23-2012, 20:33
Why should the Christians have all the fun? What can we disagree on?

Geko45
04-23-2012, 20:36
Grape and I disagreed once, but then two posts later we had the misunderstanding cleared up and had a beer.

:beer:

Danny Reid
04-23-2012, 21:20
I honestly can't think of anything to argue about. We are all pretty much on the same page. I guess the only area where I might conceivably differ would be in how I view believers and interact with them.

Frankly, I don't care what they believe. If they want to go to church on Sunday...say a prayer before a football game...say a prayer before they have a meal...more power to them. I don't care at all. I may not get it, but they don't offend me. When they ask me why I don't believe, I am always happy to talk to them. But I do not try to talk them out of their beliefs, either.

As much as I can, I try to adhere to 'live and let live'

ArtificialGrape
04-23-2012, 21:24
Maybe a topic could be:

In a MMA free-for-all which god would be the last god standing?

Tilley
04-24-2012, 01:05
Maybe you guys could argue over which pitchfork hurts the worst or who's going to be BFF with Adolf or fight over front row seats for Micheal Jackson's newest "Thriller" album or who's going to run Obama's reelection campaign...:steamed:

Japle
04-24-2012, 06:05
That’s helpful, Tilly. We can see how much your personal debate trainer has done for your technique.

Lone Wolf8634
04-24-2012, 06:39
Maybe you guys could argue over which pitchfork hurts the worst or who's going to be BFF with Adolf or fight over front row seats for Micheal Jackson's newest "Thriller" album or who's going to run Obama's reelection campaign...:steamed:

Wow. Who put a quarter in you?

Chillax dude:smoking:

Geko45
04-24-2012, 07:15
Edited: Not for Tilley's sake, but because it might offend some other believers here with actual principles.

John Rambo
04-24-2012, 07:19

Its all about the ****, not the ass.

Well, heck. Glocktalk censored me out so we can't even argue about that....

AlexHassin
04-24-2012, 07:34
Coke vs Pepsi?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

and Thor wins the god league MMA smack down<o:p></o:p>

Bren
04-24-2012, 07:49

Christians have positive beliefs they can differ on. To a rational person, "no evidence" remains "no evidence" no matter who looks at it.

Gunhaver
04-24-2012, 08:04
Christians have positive beliefs they can differ on. To a rational person, "no evidence" remains "no evidence" no matter who looks at it.

Yep. I believe that's the crux of it right there. Not positive in that they're a good thing, just positive in that they exist. Have you ever seen kids fight over their imaginary pretend scenario?

"No, I'm the pirate! You have to be the Ninja!" They are very adamant about it. And then we grow up and have religion or sports teams or patriotism so we can continue to feel better than the other guy for completely arbitrary reasons.

And Coke. Definitely Coke.

Also Thor. Not to be trifled with because to him every problem looks like a nail.

Altaris
04-24-2012, 15:07
Tilly, why are you commenting on an Atheist thread? Don't you have your own forum to go to :tongueout:

On things we disagree about:
Gunhaver, I don't like your hat.
Bren's hat looks similar, so I don't like it either
ArtificialGrape, I like grapes, but I hate grape flavored drinks and candies.

discuss.....

Tilley
04-24-2012, 17:52
Tilly, why are you commenting on an Atheist thread? Don't you have your own forum to go to :tongueout:..

Finally...an atheist with a freaking-sense of humor! :rofl::rofl::rofl::embarassed:

Ramjet38
04-24-2012, 18:03
I honestly can't think of anything to argue about. We are all pretty much on the same page. I guess the only area where I might conceivably differ would be in how I view believers and interact with them.

Frankly, I don't care what they believe. If they want to go to church on Sunday...say a prayer before a football game...say a prayer before they have a meal...more power to them. I don't care at all. I may not get it, but they don't offend me. When they ask me why I don't believe, I am always happy to talk to them. But I do not try to talk them out of their beliefs, either.

Excellent Danny! That's what I like to hear, and I feel the same about atheist. Why all this confrontation between the two I'll never know, but there are many that don't feel the same as you. Thanks! :wavey:

Japle
04-24-2012, 18:32
Posted by Altaris:
ArtificialGrape, I like grapes, but I hate grape flavored drinks and candies.

discuss.....
All soda is poison. I suspect it’s the work of Satan. Who else could it be?

Since no one can prove Satan didn’t do it, I must be right.

rgregoryb
04-24-2012, 18:37
All soda is poison. I suspect itís the work of Satan. Who else could it be?

Since no one can prove Satan didnít do it, I must be right.

just energy drinks............they are mark of da beast

Geko45
04-24-2012, 18:47
Enough of this athiest anti-ecumenical discord, what does everyone think of my new golf cart? Picked it up last weekend.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/pilotbob/chick-magnet.jpg

Ramjet38
04-24-2012, 18:56
Was it free with Obama's tax break for Green crap or whatever?

kenpoprofessor
04-24-2012, 19:29

Ditto. :supergrin:

I still can't figure out why all the believers want to condemn us simply on our non belief. We are hell bound for simply existing I guess. :faint:

I'm happy with my moral compass, and no believer is going to make me think otherwise, it's been tried many times.:shocked:

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

AlexHassin
04-24-2012, 20:01
http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2012/04/25/7ut3y3jmzx.jpg (http://www.fakeposters.com/)

AlexHassin
04-24-2012, 20:05
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2k89h4rS01qaaowno1_500.jpg

juggy4711
04-24-2012, 20:31
As a non-religious believer I couldn't think of anything to argue with atheists over except the one thing that doesn't really matter, whether there is a God or not. Go figure. Then again my concept of God is so far distant from any religious one maybe it makes sense after all.

http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2012/04/25/7ut3y3jmzx.jpg (http://www.fakeposters.com/)

:rofl: Made me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

G23Gen4TX
04-24-2012, 22:15
Oh, this is easy for us atheists. Let me start two arguments here.

Argument #1 - Glock trigger sucks.

Argument #2 - 1911 suck.

Enjoy.

Syclone538
04-24-2012, 22:56
Can it be proven there is no god? Can you know there is no god?

If you only lack belief in any god, are you really atheist? Can you be atheist and agnostic?

randrew379
04-24-2012, 23:41
Yes
Oh yes.

Gunhaver
04-24-2012, 23:49
Oh, this is easy for us atheists. Let me start two arguments here.

Argument #1 - Glock trigger sucks.

Argument #2 - 1911 suck.

Enjoy.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k88/drollerindy/glockv1911.jpg

Syclone538
04-25-2012, 00:49
If presented with evidence, would you believe, or question your own sanity?

The universe as we know it has not existed forever, and light takes time to travel, so there is a horizon beyond which we can not see. Is there anything past the horizon, and if so, did it have to travel faster then the speed of light to get there?

A train is going to run over 5 workers. You could push a button to divert the train to another track with only 1 worker. Should you do it?

Woofie
04-26-2012, 08:13

The universe as we know it has not existed forever, and light takes time to travel, so there is a horizon beyond which we can not see. Is there anything past the horizon, and if so, did it have to travel faster then the speed of light to get there?

A train is going to run over 5 workers. You could push a button to divert the train to another track with only 1 worker. Should you do it?

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/525000/525347_scale_of_universe_ng.swf

Neat little animation showing relative sizes ranging form the quantum world on up. If you scroll all the way to the right you can see how big the observable universe is compared to what the estimated size of the entire universe is. If there is anything outside the observable universe, we'll just have to wait to see it until the light from it can reach us.

Is there anything outside the universe? I'm sure there is lots of speculation. Perhaps Geko is knowledgeable about it; I'm not.

And if workers are killed by an oncoming train I don't feel too bad for them. Trains are loud and can shake the earth as they move. Get off the freaking tracks! But if I must intervene I need more information. Does the one worker weigh more than the the other five combined? If so, I must vote to save the fat guy, because that would promote more utility through sheer tonnage.

If I were presented with falsifiable evidence that held up to scrutiny of the existence of the christian god I would accept it as relevant and search for more. If I were presented with undeniable proof of existence I would be in my best interest to become a worshipper.

Altaris
04-26-2012, 10:16

Evidence does not require belief. My belief in gravity existing or not is irrelevant. The evidence for it overrides anything that I might believe about it.

Likewise, if there were evidence presented about god existing, the evidence is the evidence and my belief doesn't matter. My sanity also doesn't matter in the face of evidence. Quantum mechanics makes people question their sanity at times because basic human intuition says that can't happen, but the experiments and evidence tell us otherwise. It produces some of the most verifiable and accurate results of any experiments, therefor our belief about it doesn't matter.

That is the Trolley Problem

1. Great Ideas of Science & Philosophy - Sam Harris on The Trolley Problem - YouTube

Syclone538
04-26-2012, 10:29
Yeah I got it from Sam Harris. I was going to save the other half until a few people had answered the first half.

Altaris
04-26-2012, 10:30
Yeah I got it from Sam Harris. I was going to save the other half until a few people had answered the first half.

Doh! Sorry to spoil it for you then :supergrin:

eracer
04-26-2012, 11:03
Richard Dawkins - "What if you're wrong?" South Park - YouTube

rgregoryb
04-26-2012, 13:56
10mm and open carry..........nuff said!

scccdoc
04-26-2012, 14:02

Nice post, Danny. That bold print statement would be the one difference in our thought processes.I want you to experience God.But, if you don't believe, there's nothing I can say which will change your mind, and vice versa. Some just like to argue because they don't have anything better to do. Make a deal with you Danny, don't attack my beliefs and I won't attack yours................ GLTY , DOC

Bren
04-26-2012, 14:37
Nice post, Danny. That bold print statement would be the one difference in our thought processes.I want you to experience God.But, if you don't believe, there's nothing I can say which will change your mind, and vice versa. Some just like to argue because they don't have anything better to do. Make a deal with you Danny, don't attack my beliefs and I won't attack yours................ GLTY , DOC

And your position is exactly what causes many atheists to be come activists. Atheists don't have a religious belief - there would be nothing to talk about...if they didn't live in a society where the religious feel compelled to push their religion on others by anything from a friendly conversation to public protest to federal legislation.

Even "live and let live" atheists tend to get tired of it.

The real irony is that those same religious people are most offended by any other belief set being pushed at them.

scccdoc
04-26-2012, 15:05
And your position is exactly what causes many atheists to be come activists. Atheists don't have a religious belief - there would be nothing to talk about...if they didn't live in a society where the religious feel compelled to push their religion on others by anything from a friendly conversation to public protest to federal legislation.

The real irony is that those same religious people are most offended by any other belief set being pushed at them.

"But, if you don't believe, there's nothing I can say which will change your mind, and vice versa."

End of conversation, unless you're Danny......................

eracer
04-26-2012, 15:10
"But, if you don't believe, there's nothing I can say which will change your mind, and vice versa."

End of conversation, unless you're Danny......................And yet you say it.

Geko45
04-26-2012, 16:21
If you have an hour and a half to kill, this is a great video by Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson discussing a variety of topics (including religion and athiesm). Very entertaining!

Dr Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Amazing Meeting 6

Celtic Pride
04-26-2012, 17:43

Oh I disagree. If religion was outlawed from public discussion, society would still have much to talk about. Religion is only a belief system that includes a higher power. If that was taken out of the equation, conservatives and liberals would still be locked in the current disagreements that are truly controlling and destroying our country. I assure you, if religion were gone there would still be plenty of hate to go around.

Syclone538
04-26-2012, 20:56

Don't forget terrorism.

Altaris
04-26-2012, 21:50
If you have an hour and a half to kill, this is a great video by Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson discussing a variety of topics (including religion and athiesm). Very entertaining!

Dr Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Amazing Meeting 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vfOpZD4Sm8)

I LOVE listening to Dr. Tyson and I am always searching for new videos of his. I have seen this one before, but can always listen to it again :supergrin:

void *
04-26-2012, 22:09

I remember reading somewhere about a gravitational effect observed that indicated there was a large amount of mass beyond our light horizon (or at least, that there was back then when the observed light was emitted). As I understand it, the speed of light was not exceeded because the expansion of the universe put more space in between us and that mass (i.e. the mass didn't move faster than light, we didn't move faster than light, but the universe expanded enough that there is now more space between us and that mass than there was time for light to travel from that mass to us).

Forget where I read it, though, so *shrug*. ;)

Syclone538
04-26-2012, 22:46
Speaking of Tyson, he and Richard Dawkings talked about the visual horizon in a discussion they had.

GreenDrake
04-27-2012, 07:28
Geko, watched the whole thing, good stuff. It always amazes me how blind faith and simple arrogance collude the human mind.

Kingarthurhk
04-29-2012, 12:37
As a non-religious believer I couldn't think of anything to argue with atheists over except the one thing that doesn't really matter, whether there is a God or not. Go figure. Then again my concept of God is so far distant from any religious one maybe it makes sense after all.

:rofl: Made me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

That was hillarious.:rofl::supergrin: I played that more my wife and told her they should give it for a persentation for the community band she attends. I went to the Christmas Concert they had, and it pretty much described the whole lot.:supergrin:

She had to liaugh too.

void *
04-29-2012, 13:16
If you have an hour and a half to kill, this is a great video by Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson discussing a variety of topics (including religion and athiesm). Very entertaining![/url]

I really like the bits between about 50 minutes in and 1:03 or so. Great points. (This is not intended to marginalize the rest of the video).