Why not more love for the .400 Corbon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why not more love for the .400 Corbon?

TN.Frank
04-23-2012, 21:09
I've known about this ctg. for some time but never gave it much though because I wasn't into 1911's for quite a few years BUT now that I'm back into em' I'm taking notice of this ctg. and it really looks like a winner. Basically just a barrel fitting to your current 45acp 1911 and you're in business. Ammo can be made from 45acp brass sized and trimmed and Lee even makes dies for it, $28 bucks, so you don't need expensive dies(like the RCBS 7.62 Nagant Revolver dies, $160 bucks last time I checked, OUCH!) so I just wonder why folks looking for 10mm Auto performance out of their 1911 who already owns one in 45acp just wouldn't do a conversion.
Was there something "wrong" with this cartridge that I've not read about or is it just Old News in the 1911 World. I mean I know it's been out for some time but still, 155gr JHP at 1300fps is nothing to sneeze at with a barrel change in a 1911.
Once I get a few other things done to my gun I'd really love to get into this ctg. so I've got something to play around with. I've always loved messing around with "odd ball" cartridges. So who's got em', what do you think about it and does it really live up to the ballistics that I've seen on the reloading forums.

faawrenchbndr
04-23-2012, 22:13
What's the point?
The 45 ACP has been puttin men in pine boxes for 100 years, I'll take a PROVEN winner!

Angry Fist
04-23-2012, 22:13
Cuz the 10MM kicks its ass.

TN.Frank
04-24-2012, 05:43
The point is that it'd be an easy way to get 10mm Auto ballistics for hunting medium game without the expense of having to buy a dedicated 10mm Auto gun. Once you fit the barrel/bushing/link to your current 45acp gun it'd be a drop-in conversion from that point onward. You could use 45acp for SD and 400 Corbon for hunting or any situation where you'd need more power.
You also have a larger array of 10mm/40cal bullets today from 135gr up to 200gr so you could really play around and have some fun with this ctg. You can get 1400fps out of a 135gr JHP and if you want something heavier then you can still get 1250fps out of a 165gr JHP. That's pretty awesome IMHO.

Cuz the 10MM kicks its ass.

Guess you've not done any research on this ctg. have ya'.
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=400%20Corbon&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=
10mm Auto has NOTHING on the 400 Corbon except one more round in an expensive magazine. 400 takes standard, less expensive 45acp mags that you'd already have on hand.

MD357
04-24-2012, 07:59
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Powder&Source= (http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=400%20Corbon&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=)
10mm Auto has NOTHING on the 400 Corbon except one more round in an expensive magazine. 400 takes standard, less expensive 45acp mags that you'd already have on hand.

Actually Frank, it's YOU that needs to do some research. DT 10mm number's smoke all of those loads....

10mm also seems more versatile. No 200-230 loads for .400?

TN.Frank
04-24-2012, 08:44
Actually Frank, it's YOU that needs to do some research. DT 10mm number's smoke all of those loads....

So can you convert a 45acp 1911 to 10mm Auto with just a barrel change?

Brucev
04-24-2012, 10:31
Why no love for the .400 CB? No factory produced ammunition and no handguns produced in that chambering. Note... if it were not for factory ammunition being available for the 10mm, it would be in about the same shape as only Glock chambers for it. Sig's .357 has the advantage of being chambered beyond Sig brand guns as it is offered by Glock, S&W, etc. If the .400 did not require such a large platform, if it could instead be chambered in a smaller format such as a 9mm/.40 S&W sized pistol, it would be more attractive to both the shooting public and the manufacturers.

MD357
04-24-2012, 10:46
So can you convert a 45acp 1911 to 10mm Auto with just a barrel change?

Not really the point I was trying to make, you said the 10mm has nothing on the .400 Corbon and you were incorrect.

TN.Frank
04-24-2012, 11:18
Not really the point I was trying to make, you said the 10mm has nothing on the .400 Corbon and you were incorrect.

I think my point is that it's just a matter of a barrel swap to convert a 45acp gun to shoot 400 Corbon but if you wanted to convert the same gun to 10mm Auto you'd need a barrel, slide, mags, different brass to reload, recoil spring.
It's easier to make a 45acp into a 400 Corbon and get very similar ballistics then it is to convert the same gun to shoot the 10mm Auto round.

MD357
04-24-2012, 11:54
I think my point is that it's just a matter of a barrel swap to convert a 45acp gun to shoot 400 Corbon but if you wanted to convert the same gun to 10mm Auto you'd need a barrel, slide, mags, different brass to reload, recoil spring.
It's easier to make a 45acp into a 400 Corbon and get very similar ballistics then it is to convert the same gun to shoot the 10mm Auto round.

If that was your point you shouldn't have erroneously tried to correct someone on peformance numbers. Here's what you said...

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Powder&Source= (http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=400%20Corbon&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=)
10mm Auto has NOTHING on the 400 Corbon except one more round in an expensive magazine.

Now you have the conversion niche for sure but you are wrong when it comes to your peformance similarity claim and like I said.... 10mm is more versatile. Probably why it's considerably more popular EVEN in spite of the conversion factor.

Angry Fist
04-24-2012, 15:22
The point is that it'd be an easy way to get 10mm Auto ballistics for hunting medium game without the expense of having to buy a dedicated 10mm Auto gun. Once you fit the barrel/bushing/link to your current 45acp gun it'd be a drop-in conversion from that point onward. You could use 45acp for SD and 400 Corbon for hunting or any situation where you'd need more power.
You also have a larger array of 10mm/40cal bullets today from 135gr up to 200gr so you could really play around and have some fun with this ctg. You can get 1400fps out of a 135gr JHP and if you want something heavier then you can still get 1250fps out of a 165gr JHP. That's pretty awesome IMHO.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=400%20Corbon&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=
My 200gr. @ 1250 kicks the crap outta that, and I have more ammo. Not trying to start anything. How come there are no 230 grain bullets in .400?

TN.Frank
04-24-2012, 15:56
Now you have the conversion niche for sure but you are wrong when it comes to your peformance similarity claim and like I said.... 10mm is more versatile. Probably why it's considerably more popular EVEN in spite of the conversion factor.

Well let's just put it this way. It's close enough and the conversion can be done with less hassle that it makes more sense then buying an entirely different gun in 10mm Auto. :upeyes:

TN.Frank
04-24-2012, 15:57
How come there are no 230 grain bullets in .400?

Because they're probably be too long to load to proper OAL and still have enough powder in the case to push em' to a decent velociety.

Neal
04-24-2012, 16:27

People with chronographs say that Doubletap's numbers are fiction. I would pick another source for bragging rights.

countrygun
04-24-2012, 16:58
People with chronographs say that Doubletap's numbers are fiction. I would pick another source for bragging rights.

I sure wouldn't bet my lunch on DTs numbers. I have yet to see one person who has gotten close to the claimed velocity.

fnfalman
04-24-2012, 17:52
Double Tap's velocity claims may be too ambitious, but I have had extremely high accuracy with their ammo, especially the 10mm FMJ. Definitely not cheap though.

I personally don't care enough about squeezing every last drop of velocity out of these typical self-defense rounds. If I were to really want to fire some hot loads, I'd break out the .454 and .44 Magnum.

brisk21
04-24-2012, 22:42
Yeah no thanks. Too obscure of a caliber for me. If .45 ACP isn't powerful enough, its time to get a revolver. I'd just get a .44 mag.

BlackPaladin
04-24-2012, 22:56
Interesting caliber, nothing it can do that others cannot though. Frank, are you actually getting a firearm chambered for this round, or is this the "flavor of the week" of potential purchases?

MD357
04-24-2012, 23:27
Well let's just put it this way. It's close enough and the conversion can be done with less hassle that it makes more sense then buying an entirely different gun in 10mm Auto. :upeyes:

Regardless of what you want to see there's a significant difference between the two loads. Which is probably one of the reason why one is significantly more popular than the other.

I've personally chrono'd their .357 sig in several loads through my G32 and I found them to be a bit conservative. We used the same chrono for some 10mm loads through a G20 and came up a hair short, can't remember the exact numbers but it wouldn't come close to comparing to the number differences being discussed here. Regardless the potential is there so I will stick with what I've actually seen. :supergrin:

20South
04-25-2012, 05:46
...that it makes more sense then buying an entirely different gun...:upeyes:

This statement should never be seen on a gun forum. Some of our wives/girlfriends might read this heresy...

TN.Frank
04-25-2012, 07:52
Interesting caliber, nothing it can do that others cannot though. Frank, are you actually getting a firearm chambered for this round, or is this the "flavor of the week" of potential purchases?

Just kicking around ideas for my ATI once I get some of the MIM parts replaced and start to get bored with it. I think after reading up on the 45 Super that it would be an even easier and less expensive way to go in order to ring a bit more power out of my gun without a lot of expense.

Bob2223
04-25-2012, 08:20
Why no love for the .400 CB? No factory produced ammunition and no handguns produced in that chambering. Note... if it were not for factory ammunition being available for the 10mm, it would be in about the same shape as only Glock chambers for it. Sig's .357 has the advantage of being chambered beyond Sig brand guns as it is offered by Glock, S&W, etc. If the .400 did not require such a large platform, if it could instead be chambered in a smaller format such as a 9mm/.40 S&W sized pistol, it would be more attractive to both the shooting public and the manufacturers.

?:dunno:

Kimber
Sig
S&W
EAA
Dan Wesson
Nighthawk
Colt

To name a few,,:supergrin:

Bob

faawrenchbndr
04-25-2012, 08:29
Regardless of what you want to see there's a significant difference between the two loads. Which is probably one of the reason why one is significantly more popular than the other.

Yep,.........:thumbsup:

glock2740
04-25-2012, 08:56
Why a .400 Corbon when there's the 10mm? :dunno:

TN.Frank
04-25-2012, 09:33
Why a .400 Corbon when there's the 10mm? :dunno:

Because 400 Corbon uses the 45acp as a parent cartridge so you only need to do a barrel swap in order to throw .401" lead down range. With the 10mm you'd need to get a new slide since the breach face is different and new mags since they're different, basically an entire new top end and that runs into a lot of money. Roto 4 makes 400 Corbon barrels for $60-$80 bucks depending on weather you have a Commander size or Full size gun and if you really wanted to add to the cost you can get a new bushing, link and pin and maybe a new recoil spring too. It's all kind of a moot point now that I've started learning about the 45 Super. It's even simpler, just a spring change and the install of a Flat Bottom FPS and maybe a FLGR with a buffer on it and you're in business.

faawrenchbndr
04-25-2012, 09:41
The easiest route is not always the smartest!:whistling:

TN.Frank
04-25-2012, 09:48
Love to sit here and chat with you guys all day long but I've got bullets to cast and ammo to load. That 1000+ rounds of 45acp isn't going to load it's self.:supergrin:

MD357
04-25-2012, 10:32
Because 400 Corbon uses the 45acp as a parent cartridge so you only need to do a barrel swap in order to throw .401" lead down range. With the 10mm you'd need to get a new slide since the breach face is different and new mags since they're different, basically an entire new top end and that runs into a lot of money. Roto 4 makes 400 Corbon barrels for $60-$80 bucks depending on weather you have a Commander size or Full size gun and if you really wanted to add to the cost you can get a new bushing, link and pin and maybe a new recoil spring too. It's all kind of a moot point now that I've started learning about the 45 Super. It's even simpler, just a spring change and the install of a Flat Bottom FPS and maybe a FLGR with a buffer on it and you're in business.

Roto barrels are well known for being crap barrels.

faawrenchbndr
04-25-2012, 11:34

Yep,..........just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Javelin
04-25-2012, 11:41
I think I love the 400 Corbon :supergrin:

I just have never seen one. :whistling:

SDGlock23
04-25-2012, 12:00
I can understand that it's another option by a simple barrel swap. But....

I'm going to take it one step further. The .400 Corbon cannot do anything the .40 S&W cannot. Forget the 10mm, looking at that load data, I've gotten better velocities out of my 4" Glock 23. I don't care much for the 10mm, even less for the .400 Corbon.

TN.Frank
04-25-2012, 12:18

Good, then it'll be right at home installed in my Crap ATI 1911.:rofl:

MD357
04-25-2012, 12:32

Fair enough.

Just don't want anyone to read this and think it's smart to go with a junk barrel with higher pressure loads. :supergrin:

TN.Frank
04-25-2012, 12:42
Fair enough.

Just don't want anyone to read this and think it's smart to go with a junk barrel with higher pressure loads. :supergrin:

Long as we're on the same page. Way it looks it'd be better to just go with the 45 Super(even with the Tactical Loads) then to mess with having to buy and fit another barrel.
That's still a few months down the road. Quite a few other things I'd like to get sorted out first before I play around with a different loading, even if it is still kind of a 45acp but hotter. :cool:

faawrenchbndr
04-25-2012, 12:43

Yep,....ranks right there with installing bias ply tires on a Camaro.
There are MUCH better cars, there are MUCH better tires!
Putting cheaper crap parts on a marginal firearm is absurd!
But, then again,.........it was your idea!:whistling:

MD357
04-25-2012, 14:23
Yep,....ranks right there with installing bias ply tires on a Camaro.
There are MUCH better cars, there are MUCH better tires!
Putting cheaper crap parts on a marginal firearm is absurd!
But, then again,.........it was your idea!:whistling:

Tires? Tires? We don't need no stinkin HY DOLAR TYRES!!! WE just melt down some trashbags and throw in some chicken wire..... works great.

Angry Fist
04-25-2012, 18:19
Why not try .460 Rowland? :whistling: