Twisted off screw [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Twisted off screw

Cwlongshot
04-24-2012, 05:54
Mornin guys!

First post here, GREAT informantion i have been reading for a couple weeks!!

I have a set of "big dot" sites and mistakenly twisted off the tiny front site screw. IIRC the manufacturer is Trijicon.

I think it was lock tited, generally I would just heat and remove screw.

My question is two fold;

Will I hurt anything with capsule by heating. (Or can I just return to Trijicon?)

Where can I get replacement screws?

CW

bam1131
04-24-2012, 05:59
You should bring it to your local gun store. I'm sure they can fix it and or supply a new screw

DocWills
04-24-2012, 06:26
Dont heat Nuclear materiel as a general rule. :supergrin:

bam1131
04-24-2012, 06:38

Ha true that.

stolenphot0
04-24-2012, 06:52

That's only if he has a 10mm. The other Glocks are stable, or so I hear.

cciman
04-24-2012, 15:24
Your question is not clear.

If the head of the screw is twisted off, with the threaded shaft inside, then you are screwed-- you are limited to pulling it off with a pair of pliers and buying a new front sight.

I would not heat sights with capsules- the amount of heat needed to loosen the loc-tite will pop the capsule.

Cwlongshot
04-24-2012, 18:39
Your question is not clear.

If the head of the screw is twisted off, with the threaded shaft inside, then you are screwed-- you are limited to pulling it off with a pair of pliers and buying a new front sight.

I would not heat sights with capsules- the amount of heat needed to loosen the loc-tite will pop the capsule.

Thanks guys!!

Cciman, YES, The site was on the slide, the screw screwed in completely and was twisted off, shank of screw remains in the front site....:steamed:

This confirms what I was worried about. Guess I need a new front site.

I was removing them as I lost allot of accuracy with the big dot sites. Yes the acquisition was faster, but when I needed to put a shot on target it was iffy. With conventional sites I can hit exactly where I want yet only loose a tiny bit with site acquisition...

SO, where can I get a new big dot, (OR smaller equivalent height) front site alone? A smaller dia front site may bring back some accuracy...

CW

8th ID
04-24-2012, 19:02
Don't know if you can just get the front. may have to buy a set. Here is a link to the XS big dot sights. There are 2 different sizes.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=handgun

10-acious
04-24-2012, 19:04

:supergrin:

Jim S.
04-24-2012, 19:13
I was removing them as I lost allot of accuracy with the big dot sites. CW

Why don't you give the big dots a little more time.
It takes a bit of shooting to get used to them.
I can get what I consider distance accuracy with my big dots after I shot them for a while.

cciman
04-24-2012, 19:23
Ah, too bad... I just came from a similar situation.

It is possible to buy a front sight of another brand for about $40, or go with just stock Glock sights for cheap, TruGlo's are cheap.

Try calling the company, see if they will sympathize with your SOB story and send you another, or sell you just the fronts.

Keoking
04-24-2012, 19:45

If it is a 10mm, he only needs to fire 2-3 rounds. This will generate enough heat to melt the loctite, pop the vial in his front site, and probably pop the vials in the sites of anyone standing within 6ft of him shooting. The pressure waves should also work the screw out, causing his front site to fall off.

Cwlongshot
04-25-2012, 03:41
Thats a good thought... I have seen a couple front sites of other makes offered. I need to measure the height and go I guess...

I have had a email into Trijicon for a couple weeks... no answer.

LOL on the "if its a 10MM" comments... It WAS on a 23, BUT was considering it for my 20....:upeyes:

CW

GThirtyTwo
04-25-2012, 04:25
Don't know if you can just get the front. may have to buy a set. Here is a link to the XS big dot sights. There are 2 different sizes.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=handgun

I had to replace just a front sight (that I broke) on a Sig P228 and I called XS and they sent just the front sight. (although it was not free of course)

Cwlongshot
04-25-2012, 06:07
I sent a second email to XS ( thank you for link!) this AM. Hopefully they will have solution! Not opposed to paying as I broke it!

CW

faawrenchbndr
04-25-2012, 07:12
I sent a second email to XS ( thank you for link!) this AM. Hopefully they will have solution! Not opposed to paying as I broke it!

CW

I ran into this a few years back.....contacted XS. Asked them if they
could fix the front sight, they had me return the sight. I sent in
the set,.......they replaced them with a brand new set.

Great CS!

Cwlongshot
04-26-2012, 17:51
I ran into this a few years back.....contacted XS. Asked them if they
could fix the front sight, they had me return the sight. I sent in
the set,.......they replaced them with a brand new set.

Great CS!

IF I get a response, I hope they can at least SELL me a replacement! :shocked:

I'm still waiting for a response...

CW

Cwlongshot
05-05-2012, 14:43
UPDATE;
I got a reply from trijicon the other day! A guy named Bo.
I sent him pics and am waiting on his reply.

Hoping they will work with me!!

CW

RayB
05-05-2012, 22:01

This makes complete sense...

But my gun shop guys say they can do this with a soldering ironójust move quickly, so as not to heat the whole sight up excessively. Weaken the Loctite on the nut/screw and "crack it".

--Ray

Cwlongshot
05-06-2012, 04:58
Thanks Ray!

Yes I completely agree a soldering iron is excellent for removing lock tited gun screws!! It applies hear directly where needed without damaging delicate finishs!

Had I known/remembered it was lock tited I would have done that!

In his email he mirrored previous comments here about NOT heating the site as it would damage the capsul. He wanted pictures and my personal information.

I assume he will send a $$ and once I pay I'll get new site.

CW

RayB
05-06-2012, 05:34
Thanks Ray!

Yes I completely agree a soldering iron is excellent for removing lock tited gun screws!! It applies hear directly where needed without damaging delicate finishs!

Had I known/remembered it was lock tited I would have done that!

In his email he mirrored previous comments here about NOT heating the site as it would damage the capsul. He wanted pictures and my personal information.

I assume he will send a $$ and once I pay I'll get new site.

CW

If I may ask, what model gun is this?

--Ray

Cwlongshot
05-06-2012, 05:58
It was on my gen3 M23 Glock.

CW

RayB
05-06-2012, 06:25
It was on my gen3 M23 Glock.

CW

Ah!

I have a NIB set of AmeriGlo Operators I've never used. They were to be for my new G30, which got derailed by the onset of events, not the least of which is Obamanomics.

At any rate, they won't work for your G23.

--Ray

glockaviator
05-06-2012, 09:42
You used the old, "tighten till it breaks, then back it off a little" method. Been there, done that.:embarassed:

Cwlongshot
05-06-2012, 18:39
Thanks Ray!

Cw

Cwlongshot
05-10-2012, 20:14
I got home tonight to a shoe box sized box on my porch...

I noticed XS site systems logo on it and said WOW...already!!!

YES ALREADY!!! I have a BRAND NEW front site at NO CHARGE!!!! I broke it, I offered to pay and this company sent me a FREE FRONT SITE!!!!

I just wanted to say this company went above and beyond for this to make me happy and I AM HAPPY!!

So much so I have remounted the sites and promise to give them a couple range trips to get used to them!!

THANK YOU XS SITE SYSTEMS!!!!

CW

Happypuppy
05-10-2012, 22:09
So much so I have remounted the sites and promise to give them a couple range trips to get used to them!!

CW

i think you will love them. They are the best combat sight I have used to date. Anyone that's not a believer , try to shoot a target moving with a XS sight system vs stock sights.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

janice6
05-10-2012, 22:41
This makes complete sense...

But my gun shop guys say they can do this with a soldering ironójust move quickly, so as not to heat the whole sight up excessively. Weaken the Loctite on the nut/screw and "crack it".

--Ray

This is the way to go. I have done it many times with Locktite of various "grip". Epoxy too.

Doesn't take much heat to do it either

Cwlongshot
05-12-2012, 13:55
I found a good use for the "old" big dot front site!!

I filed off the oval "post" that fits the glock slide. The filed some grooves in the base to better let the epoxy "grip". The roughed up the tip of one of my shortened 870 barrels and epoxied it to the rib!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/REM%20870/02601f42.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/REM%20870/323c5a73.jpg

Now I have a nite sited 870 barrel!!

CW