18 yr old carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 18 yr old carry

wvboy
04-24-2012, 11:12
Hey Mas,
Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, just read "GLOCK" The Story of America's Gun, was glad you were mentioned in it. I just turned 18. I want to start carrying open in the city where I live when I walk with my grandfather at night, he has no ccw license. I talked to a LEO in the city and he said as long as it's visible, and I don't enter certain buildings etc., the usual stuff, I'm okay to carry. But having never done so away from private residence, such as on a friend's farm, I don't really know how to approach it. I want to do it, but don't know how to go about it. What's your adivce and thoughts.

Thanks again,
wvboy

Mas Ayoob
04-25-2012, 08:30
wvboy, I'd go in this order:

1. Take training in when you can and can't carry a gun / use deadly force in your state.

2. Get a good snatch-resistant holster and drill with it until using it is second nature.

3. Get some training in retention of the gun against a determined snatch attempt. As recent events have repeatedly shown (see Carry Issues here), it can happen to an open-carrying "civilian" as surely as it happens to openly-armed cops and security guards.

Good luck. Stay cool, stay educated, and be safe. Thanks for providing companionship and security to your grandfather.

best,
Mas