Price for Bluing my 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Price for Bluing my 1911

fendertele87
04-24-2012, 12:06
I got a hold of a local gun shop where I live and they turned me to an individual who does some bluing local so I don't have to ship it off. He charges $200. Is that a good deal or no?

I'm also looking to see what people get polished the most and why?

Camu Mahubah
04-24-2012, 15:12
Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good Parkerized finish? He is prolly cold blueing and it's mostly for damaged or worn or ruined guns that are blued already. The Parkerized finish is awesome...leave it like it is and enjoy the rugged durability of your finsish.

faawrenchbndr
04-24-2012, 15:17
I got a hold of a local gun shop where I live and they turned me to an individual who does some bluing local so I don't have to ship it off. He charges $200. Is that a good deal or no?

I'm also looking to see what people get polished the most and why?

Ask the guy how he blues firearms. Most blue jobs have matte
rounds and brushed, or polished flats, (slide & frame sides)
$200 is a bit low, all the work is in the prep, prior to the blueing.
Also ask about disassembly & reassembly fees, or other "hidden" costs.

Camu Mahubah
04-25-2012, 03:09
Ask the guy how he blues firearms. Most blue jobs have matte
rounds and brushed, or polished flats, (slide & frame sides)
$200 is a bit low, all the work is in the prep, prior to the blueing.
Also ask about disassembly & reassembly fees, or other "hidden" costs.

Well your smarter than me...I was figuring it would be a whole lot more than $200 for anythang other than cold blueing..

I know it's off topic...but OP...can I ask why you wanna blue your RI? You just got it? Why don't you at least wait until it's got some holster wear? It's your gun tho man...have fun with it!

How many rounds have you shot through it?

fendertele87
04-25-2012, 07:42
Well your smarter than me...I was figuring it would be a whole lot more than $200 for anythang other than cold blueing..

I know it's off topic...but OP...can I ask why you wanna blue your RI? You just got it? Why don't you at least wait until it's got some holster wear? It's your gun tho man...have fun with it!

How many rounds have you shot through it?

I Probaly won't be doing it anytime soon. I was just asking. I do the like the look of it. I'm taking it Friday and I can't wait!

Zombie Steve
04-25-2012, 07:47
Awww, come on. You can get it blue for much cheaper than that.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3199/unledgz.jpg

:whistling:

TN.Frank
04-25-2012, 08:29
Awww, come on. You can get it blue for much cheaper than that.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3199/unledgz.jpg

:whistling:

Let me guess, Duracoat,LOL.
You can get stuff from Brownell's to do Hot Tank Bluing. Just need a stainless pot/vat large enough to get the parts into. IIRC the salts and stuff weren't that expensive. The hard part is getting the gun ready to be blued. You have to polish is without removing the roll marks and without rounding off any of the sharp edges, not an easy thing to do.
I use to run a lot of our small parts back to Robbie(Robars) when I worked at McMillian(his shop was in back of ours) and I'd watch em' plate guns. He has a heck of a set up and a pretty good crew. When time comes to refinish a gun it's going to Robars for either an NP3 or Rogaurd finish. It's just under $400 but it'll last a lifetime and is self lubricating so you can even run your gun dry and not hurt it.
Still, likes been said, nothing wrong with the Parkerized finish on it, just run that until you can save up enough to send it off to Robbie. JMHO, YMMV.