04-24-2012, 23:02

FatBoy
04-25-2012, 09:39
Try US Plastics

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24938&catid=459

FB

Donn57
04-25-2012, 15:33
Where can I buy food-grade tubs? My Google fu is poor on this. The five and six gallon buckets are too small IMHO. I'm looking for 14 to 30 gallon tubs.
Thank you,
GeG

What are you going to store? Five gallon buckets will hold 30+ pounds of food (rice, wheat, pasta, etc.) A 30 gallon tub of food will weigh well over 100 pounds if filled with even one of the lightest commonly stored food item - macaroni.

fletch_man
04-25-2012, 15:39
Wal-Mart will sell you used ones for a $1 each. Bleach before use.

glockeglock
04-25-2012, 17:36

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-25-2012, 18:53
Why is it that a person can't ask a question in this forum without getting a lecture? I'm a big boy. I ask for the help I need. Please trust me to figure out the rest. Thank you.

It's POSSIBLE that someone may come into S&P, and ask questions to which they have not really thought out the question, let alone what to do with the answer. I don't think he said anything derogatory, just asked what your plans where.. heck, maybe HE is thinking of going with larger storage containers, and wanted to hear YOUR idea/plan..

That crap said.. if I was going to store, say grains in bulk containers, I would go with plain old steel drums, with a mylar. They make them in large sizes, just for such use. I know "some people" who did 2 tons of wheat, in the 5 gallon mylars, in 55 gallon drums. We... err.. THEY, just filled the bags down in the drum, added a O2 absorber, ironed the top closed.. repeat until drum was full and then put on the lid. But I have since learned of the existence of the mylars big enough to do a whole drum at once.. If they do another load like that...

BTW: arms and legs fold.. and will go in a 5 gallon bucket. The problem is the torsos man..

Bolster
04-25-2012, 19:11
Why is it that a person can't ask a question in this forum without getting a lecture? I'm a big boy. I ask for the help I need. Please trust me to figure out the rest. Thank you.

I agree with this comment.

Half the time I ask a question on this forum, my premise is challenged ("why would you need to ask that question?"), rather than the question answered.

I'm certain a major reason for the 'challenge-the-premise' responses is that people don't know the answer you're looking for. Or maybe they just want to sound informed.

I get this all the time from salespeople. Me: "Where are your widgets?" Salesman: "What exact type of widget are you looking for?" Me: "Why, do you store different widgets in different areas of the store?" Salesman: "No, they're all together." Me: "OK, I'll start over, where are your widgets?" Salesman: "They're to the back left."

Anyway, off topic, monitoring the thread because I'd like to know the same thing the OP wants to know. And never mind why!

Snakeonastick
04-25-2012, 19:21
Google Cambro food storage containers. They are available through several on line suppliers.

glockeglock
04-25-2012, 19:46

glockeglock
04-25-2012, 19:50

glockeglock
04-25-2012, 19:50

Aceman
04-25-2012, 20:01
In the land of S&P, there are far more people with goofy ideas than good sense, and more Mad Max fantasies than practical tools and skills.

Asking why such a thing is wanted is always a good idea for those reasons alone. Furthermore, if you explain what you want to do, maybe....just maybe someone out here will have a BETTER idea than you.

I'm a consultant. when people tell me EXACTLY what they want done i pass. I have found they are rarely correct. Tell me what you want to achieve and I'll give you options with pro's and con's - then you can choose wisely.

For those of you who know everything, fix it yourself. Or find it, as the case may be.

glockeglock
04-25-2012, 20:29

Bolster
04-25-2012, 23:48
Turning into a bit of a meta-thread, but this topic is interesting to me.

I'm a consultant. when people tell me EXACTLY what they want done i pass.

I don't think the OP was asking for consulting; he was simply asking for a source. And I don't think simply asking for a source deserves an "if you're so smart find it yourself" answer. The OP didn't claim superior intelligence. He just got peeved with the game of 20-questions that often completely derails an inquiry:

A: What X would you recommend?
B: What the hell do you need an X for?
A: Will my answer change your recommendation of an X?
B: No, but...well hell, if you're so smart, figure it out yourself!

Translation of B: "I am omniscient and do not own an X, so neither should you."

Zealots. Zealotry I think is the issue here...

Hero of the week. I never had the right word for the unique sort of unhinged-ness we share on this forum (myself included), but I think that's it.

Protus
04-26-2012, 16:49
if you want yes or no answers the web is not the place to ask.

Part of your problem is this.

you-How do you play baseball?
poster- you havent played before? maybe you should join a local league and read/learn the rules of the game. Here is several leagues in your state...(add link here) etc etc etc I started that way and learned so much.....
you- I DIDNT ASK FOR ALL THAT I JUST WANTED TO KNOW HOW TO PLAY.

That is how you come off. The newb, asking a question and then getting upset when someone doesnt give you that black and white answer. IMHO thats where you'r issue's are you dont take the time to actually try and learn you just want an answer.

Before the web you learned as went...now days..folks just want the fast and easy way ...Why should anyone help you if every time they try you go off on a tantrum about the answers you get.

free advice/answers are just that...FREE on someone else s dime, and time.

glockeglock
04-26-2012, 20:07

glockeglock
04-26-2012, 20:26

Donn57
04-26-2012, 21:48
I'm going to store the legs and arms of nuns and school marms. They're too long for a bucket. /sarcasm off

I appreciate your concern, but I didn't ask about comparing tubs to buckets, nor am I concerned about the weight of the loaded tub.

Fatboy and Fletchman. Thank you. I'll check those out.

Your Google fu must need a tune-up because I easily found large food grade buckets on Google.

I hate lazy people who come here asking questions that are easily answered with a 30 second search on Google. There. Two can be snarky.

Protus
04-27-2012, 05:38
Interesting. This is how I may come off to SOME people. Yet I'm neither a newb nor have I failed to "take the time." I've been spending about a year taking "the time to actually try and learn." I just could not find a food safe tub. Judging by the responses, none of our "experts" can either.

Ahh the old " im doing research to make sure ...."
before you take the leap reason... Agian..when your asking about LTS you come off like you have never done it. Your questions about it show that. Again, when you come off that way you need to understand that some will treat you that way and answer your questions that way.

As to the tubs. There are plenty of "food grade" ones out there. But like your other TWO threads on LTS storage already I've answered the question for you when packing with Mylar.

I apologize for the length of this post, i know you dont like it when 50 words or more are used.:wavey:

oh and i very well may be a zealot after all, when i started packing LTS the only threads about it on the web were folks just dumping food in whatever they could find....trial and error was the means of learning ( aka time,money and effort ) vs reading "learning" like many today are accustomed to. So if i come off that way..its because i had to LEARN it ,,not just ask and read about it.

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-27-2012, 06:14
oh and i very well may be a zealot after all, when i started packing LTS the only threads about it on the web were folks just dumping food in whatever they could find....trial and error was the means of learning ( aka time,money and effort ) vs reading "learning" like many today are accustomed to. So if i come off that way..its because i had to LEARN it ,,not just ask and read about it.

I guess I am a zealot too..

When I started to store/prep.. there was no INTERNET.

:supergrin:

Toyman
04-27-2012, 06:59
I appreciate your concern, but I didn't ask about comparing tubs to buckets, nor am I concerned about the weight of the loaded tub.

1. Because you previously stated "Where can I buy food-grade tubs?" Tubs to most people means square or rectangle containers. What you are going to put in them will determine:
a) How much weight they need to hold.
b) What type of seal they may need, if any.

2. " ...The five and six gallon buckets are too small IMHO. I'm looking for 14 to 30 gallon tubs. " which infers that you may think that a 5 or 6 gallon bucket is the largest bucket type container available - it isn't.

People were simply trying to get a little more info on exactly what you wanted so they could provide the best answer from the 100's of links they might have bookmarked.

Simply stating a weight concern is not a lecture, it was simply trying to help. They took time out of their day to try and help you and you got all pissy. There are a lot of stupid people in the world. Ever help someone move and they fill a large cardboard box with 300 lbs of books and don't even tape the bottom?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but biting off someone's head when they are just trying to help is un-called for.

These aren't "tubs" but they do have the sizes you want, and might be more practical for storing what you want:
http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/New-Drums.html

Protus
04-27-2012, 16:18
I guess I am a zealot too..

When I started to store/prep.. there was no INTERNET.

:supergrin:

yeah no kidding.
it wasnt until 02'-03' that i found out that my alice pack with 5 days of crap loaded into it back in the early 90's was supposed to be called a " bug out bag"...or that some old lc2 gear was really "line 2"....:cool:

Aceman
04-27-2012, 19:29
zealots. Great description!

and for the record, I usually give a direct answer to questions - before the lecture and suggestions that have nothing to do with the OP...

But the zealotry thing - that is dead on. Very insightful.

glockeglock
04-27-2012, 22:25

Protus
04-28-2012, 05:11
i found what you need glockglock...it should help you get your answers with out dealing with people. ;P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/easy-button.jpg

FatBoy
04-28-2012, 05:47
Zealot does not equal expert or professional.

Definitions:

zealot An immoderate, fanatical, or extremely zealous adherent to a cause, esp a religious one.

zealotry: fanaticism: excessive intolerance of opposing views.

A zealot is not someone who knows a lot about something or has a lot of experience in something. A zealot might know a lot about something or not know much at all about something. An expert or professional might be a zealot, but not necessarily. In fact, as a broad generalization, most true and experienced experts and professionals would be less inclined to zealotry.

More often, zealots are persons who are fairly new to a particular thing, have experienced some success at it, are very excited about it and want to share their excitement. They have found a specific program, method, belief or set of steps that worked for them and want to help others share in the same success by teaching them that very same pattern.

Examples of persons likely to become zealots might be an alcoholic who has completed five steps of AA or an obese person who lost 100 pounds on a cool new diet or a drug addict who got clean through God. We have all met such persons.

The first problem with zealots is they get real preachy and long winded and boring. We all get the subject is exciting to them. We all get that they gained success through their method. We are all happy for them. We try to be polite, but really we don't want to hear it.

The second problem, is the zealot is usually slow about understanding that their definition of success isn't everyone's and their program for success isn't what everyone wants and no one really wants to hear their entire story just to learn a teeny tiny part of it. When they do figure it out, they get all bent out of shape and butt hurt as if it was a personal insult.

So please, Mr. Zealot. I like you. Really, I do. I respect you. Honest. But seriously, I had just hoped you knew one teeny tiny piece of information that my lowly inept self could not find. That is all. I do not want to read your soliloquy in the hopes that the one teeny tiny piece of information is in there...especially when it's not.

Just answer the simple question to the best of your ability or don't. That is all.

(And hypocrisy being my greatest virtue, I got all preachy. LOL)
:wavey: Oh my has this thread gone off the tracks.

Bolster
04-28-2012, 13:33
...More often, zealots are persons who are fairly new to a particular thing, have experienced some success at it...The first problem with zealots is they get real preachy and long winded and boring...

I think I understand.

So take a hypothetical. A young guy with virtually no experience at his job (or anything) gives a good speech, and the establishment decides to elect him president because of how he looks and sounds and that he says the "correct" things. Once president, he gets really preachy, and since he has no practical experience, or any skills other than speechifying, he substitutes his ideology instead.

As his ideology fails to produce results, he doubles down and calls for even more severe ideological fixes that will make everything even worse. He decides he can stay in power by dividing a nation against itself, as that's what his ideology calls for.

Would that count as an example of zealotry?

dudel
04-29-2012, 12:09
I get them (3 gal and 5 gal) from the bakery in the local supermarket. Icing/frosting is shipped in them.

What I like is that they have O rings in the top and seal very well. What I like even better is that they are free (YMMV).

What's not so much fun is cleaning out the leftover icing (although the chocolate fudge isn't too bad)

Toyman
05-03-2012, 04:47
Zealot does not equal expert or professional.

You can cry about zealots all day long, but just look at how many answers you received, and I came really close to not posting mine.

I know there are guys with many links to cool stuff, but I doubt you're going to see any of them.

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-03-2012, 06:28
You can cry about zealots all day long, but just look at how many answers you received, and I came really close to not posting mine.

I know there are guys with many links to cool stuff, but I doubt you're going to see any of them.

You know, I can't for sure figure out why the Zealots comment has made me feel the way I do now.

This is not the first post I have seen here that really seems to be a "I need justification", or "I already know it all" or "I have already thought it through and KNOW I am right"..

And yet they are asking a question that makes it seem.. maybe not.

There are hundreds of years of experience in here, and most of those people are willing to freely share it. That is a good thing, I think. But I know that now, I doubt I (for one) will bother. I came into the S&P forum to learn and share, not find another arfcom.

I have grain to grind, venison to can, more garden to plant, firewood to get stacked, ammo to reload, bread to bake, and about another 500 "living the lifestyle" things to get done...

No need to come here to be told I am a buttwipe because of an attempt to share knowledge gained since I bought my first 250lbs of grain and a crappy little grinder back in '77.

Toyman
05-03-2012, 07:42
You know, I can't for sure figure out why the Zealots comment has made me feel the way I do now.

Maybe, just maybe, you're like me. Sometimes when someone asks a question you're somewhat familiar with, you truly want to reply to help.

So you spend a considerable amount of time, from 5 minutes to an hour or more looking for specific web pages to refer the person to. You spend the time to attempt to write a coherent reply only to get something like "That's not what I asked!".

These people don't realize that there are people who see replies like that, and have the perfect answer, but just think to themselves "I'm not replying to that jerk".

I've done it. I've seen stuff go unanswered for days when I knew the exact answer, just because someone was being a jerk.

Protus
05-04-2012, 05:00

This is not the first post I have seen here that really seems to be a "I need justification", or "I already know it all" or "I have already thought it through and KNOW I am right"..

And yet they are asking a question that makes it seem.. maybe not.

There are hundreds of years of experience in here, and most of those people are willing to freely share it. That is a good thing, I think. But I know that now, I doubt I (for one) will bother. I came into the S&P forum to learn and share, not find another arfcom.

I have grain to grind, venison to can, more garden to plant, firewood to get stacked, ammo to reload, bread to bake, and about another 500 "living the lifestyle" things to get done...

No need to come here to be told I am a buttwipe because of an attempt to share knowledge gained since I bought my first 250lbs of grain and a crappy little grinder back in '77.

well said.
And arfcom's SF aint that bad...come on...:wavey: not like it used to be though LOL. Like any forum you get your *********s from time to time. I always like arfcom for the reason that if you came there talking out your ass you got jumped for it ( for example this one guy who calimed he could hump 120 lbs over 20 miles with 4K in elevation change in under 6 hours or some jazz). Anyway LOL.

I just get a kick out of the folks who have just started preparing in the last 5 years who are now all "experts". I almost do wish it was 1990 again,,when the web wasnt much and to learn how to prepare you used the grey matter between your ears and your hands and not just the computer screen.

expatman
05-05-2012, 13:26
I have several very large plastic tubs that I am willing to part with for free.

All I ask is that you tell us all what you plan to do with them, and you change your username to "Tubby".

I am just playing! I could not resist after reading through this thread.

Stevekozak
05-05-2012, 13:56
I have several very large plastic tubs that I am willing to part with for free.

All I ask is that you tell us all what you plan to do with them, and you change your username to "Tubby".

I am just playing! I could not resist after reading through this thread.
Tubby!! I like it!! I was thinking OP needed to take the panties off those nuns before he puts them in the tubs, as he has his own in quite a bunch!! :wavey:

nyycanseco33
05-05-2012, 14:01
I'm going to store the legs and arms of nuns and school marms. They're too long for a bucket. /sarcasm off

Fatboy and Fletchman. Thank you. I'll check those out.

You are by far the rudest person on this particular thread, he wasn't lecturing you but instead trying to get more info to maybe help you out or give you a direction that you may not have originally considered... Your attitude is unwanted and it's people like you who make this place unbearable due to the high amount or sarcasm and negative responses

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine