Soap - for cleaning up the S when it HTF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Soap - for cleaning up the S when it HTF

DoctaGlockta
04-25-2012, 14:53
Curious how many of you stock enough soap.

We have quite a bit of bar. A couple of jugs of anti-bacterial. Some extra laundry. And probably not enough shampoo. Boxes of baby wipes as well.

Any good tips on products or storage. From my listening to many 'experts' disease from poor hygiene can cause more problems than anything else.

Curious to know how much you all think is enough.

Bolster
04-25-2012, 15:01
I actually don't stock much, no more than 3 months worth, as I think it's one of the first items to be made in post-event industries (simply made from ashes and fat or oil, I think).

Donn57
04-25-2012, 15:18
We stock lots of soap and disinfectants. I think some folks overlook this important prep in favor of the more "fun" stuff but being able to maintain good hygiene is critical. I also think I prefer to have modern soap and disinfectants available rather than wait on a cottage industry for soap to spring up.

Tom Kanik
04-25-2012, 16:17
It can feel amazingly good to get cleaned up after busting your butt.....great for the morale. Make the wife easier to live with too!:supergrin:

M1A Shooter
04-25-2012, 17:36
i too stock lots of bar soap. also make my own laundry soap 10 gallons at a time and have at least enough to do this half a dozen more times. we have a few gallons of liquid hand soap and several bottles of dish soap too.

i did stock some baby wipes for a bit but we dont use them often enough to rotate and the ones i had dried out on the shelf.

Rooster Rugburn
04-25-2012, 18:49
As I've mentioned before, it was said that in post WWII Europe, metals got you nothing. Soap got you everything.

I buy 12 packs of Ivory for less than $4 and have it stacked deep.

It's perfect for barter: it's cheap, doesn't go bad (dries out, which is good), doesn't eat anything, doesn't take up a lot of space, everybody is going to want and need it, and it doesn't require any special storage needs. You can put it outside in the shed during the summer.

Good hygiene is great for moral and health.

There just isn't any reason not to have a ton of it.

bdcochran
04-25-2012, 19:35
Ivory soap - no perfume or abrasives in it. If anyone knows of a different brand with no perfume or abrasives, please post.

Pine tar soap - its sale is discouraged in my state, but legal to possess. My doctors confirm the same. This is the soap that my step mother used in Central Mississippi in the 1920s and 1930s to clean your hair. If you use this soap, your dandruff is gone.

Benzoil peroxide soap - its sale is discouraged in my state, but legal to possess. My doctors confirm the same. This soap will take off a layer of skin. Be careful not to go out into the sun for hours after using. If you use this soap, your pimples are history.

lawman800
04-25-2012, 22:25
I don't stock up on soap per se, but I travel fairly often for work and not much for personal pleasure, but as I am one person, I don't use up too much of a hotel's supply for the room.

I open up the first day's pack of soap and shampoo and that will last me a week at the hotel but everyday, the house keeping folks put another 2 bars of soap (sink/shower) and more shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom. After a few days, I have a whole stack of stuff which I always pack up and take home.

I have a pretty big box full of hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions. Quite a few hotels use good name brand stuff too so those little bottles will come in handy for barter. It's like coins and stuff, use the right quantity for barter instead of one big bar which you have to shave or cut or something when the time comes.

Bolster
04-25-2012, 23:19
I open up the first day's pack of soap and shampoo and that will last me a week at the hotel but everyday, the house keeping folks put another 2 bars of soap (sink/shower) and more shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom. After a few days, I have a whole stack of stuff which I always pack up and take home.

:rofl:

I thought I was the only pinchpenny to do this! That's how I acquired my current stash of soap, that will last me at LEAST 90 days and probably a year! One reason I'm not too interested in stocking more.

Bolster
04-25-2012, 23:24
Pine tar soap - its sale is discouraged in my state...
Benzoil peroxide soap - its sale is discouraged in my state....

Are you allowed to use ANY soap in your state? Some sort of no-wash hippie law? What a screwy state you live in. I guess you can console yourself that even though you can't wash with normal soap, or flush a toilet with a normal amount of water, or run a generator that's acceptable in 49 other states, or buy Everclear, or carry a gun, or buy and use a Berkey filter, and that virtually everything is "known to the state of California to cause cancer..."

...you can console yourself that if you're gay, you can get married, and that if you're an illegal from Me-hi-co, nobody will ask you to leave, or to get a driver's license, but you are encouraged to vote (if you vote for a Democrat).

Honestly, you should leave California and enjoy using whatever the hell kind of soap you want.

Oh....wait a second...um.... :embarassed:

Raiden
04-25-2012, 23:31
You can snag some good deals on bulk soap, buying by the loaf. I also happened on a good deal on little hotel soaps, which I've used when camping and have become sought-after barter items when on a popular trail. I've also gotten few boxes of pine tar soap bars and bottles of lemongrass & tea tree oil liquid soap. With regular use, I find I reduce or eliminate many minor skin conditions. I do have some small bottles of 3M Avagard surgical scrub soap, though I worry about it deteriorating with time (they're already 5 or 6 years old but no 'good by' dates).

lawman800
04-25-2012, 23:47

I thought I was the only pinchpenny to do this! That's how I acquired my current stash of soap, that will last me at LEAST 90 days and probably a year! One reason I'm not too interested in stocking more.

I don't know why I do it but at first, it was just my hoarding and collecting instinct just to see how many of the different brands and hotels I can collect and then it picked up steam and I found a lot of good uses for them, because their size makes them perfect for me to stash like a bottle of lotion in the medium sized pouch of my everyday tote when I need to moisturize my hands to keep them soft. They also make for awesome travel kits instead of buying empty tiny plastic bottles and pouring my own shampoo in it... thanks, TSA!

DoctaGlockta
04-26-2012, 06:35
i too stock lots of bar soap. also make my own laundry soap 10 gallons at a time and have at least enough to do this half a dozen more times. we have a few gallons of liquid hand soap and several bottles of dish soap too.

i did stock some baby wipes for a bit but we dont use them often enough to rotate and the ones i had dried out on the shelf.

Do you make the liquid type with Borax, Washing Soda, and a bar of soap? I've looked into doing it but not sure how well it gets clothes clean.

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-26-2012, 06:46
<< has about 4 years worth of Ivory in 12 packs in the linen closet..
10 "120 load" jugs of laundry D in the basement...
Gallons of Dawn..

and my wife travels for work alot.. we too have enough small bars and little shampoos to last or give away for months..

I need to put back several jugs of Downey though.. don't want to go into the apocalypse all staticy..

lawman800
04-26-2012, 07:46
Nothing worse than having static cling while walking around in the PAW.

WolfNotSheep
04-26-2012, 11:05
I like to store Ivory brand soap. It's hypoallergenic (not that I give a damn, but others might), has a minimal and non-fruity scent (so it doesn't attract bugs, and is gentle enough to use on infants as well as sores, wounds, etc. It's also not anti-bacterial, which is pointless in every day use soap, so it doesn't kill my septic tank. It can also be shaved over a steel hose clamp or cheese grater to make dish/laundry soap powder. I catch it when it's on sale for $3-4 for the 12 bar pack, usually once a month at the local Kroger.

I've figured that if I'm using Ivory for 100% of my soap needs I'll need approximately 2-3 bars per week. If I stretch it thin then 100 bars per year per person is sufficient.

quake
04-26-2012, 11:28
I like to store Ivory brand soap. It's hypoallergenic (not that I give a damn, but others might), has a minimal and non-fruity scent (so it doesn't attract bugs, and is gentle enough to use on infants as well as sores, wounds, etc. It's also not anti-bacterial, which is pointless in every day use soap, so it doesn't kill my septic tank. It can also be shaved over a steel hose clamp or cheese grater to make dish/laundry soap powder. I catch it when it's on sale for $3-4 for the 12 bar pack, usually once a month at the local Kroger.

I've figured that if I'm using Ivory for 100% of my soap needs I'll need approximately 2-3 bars per week. If I stretch it thin then 100 bars per year per person is sufficient.

Another oddity of Ivory that I personally see as a benefit, is that unlike most bar soap it floats. On our three-day "Guys Retreats" there's no showering, but there's occasions to jump in the pond; so we'll just toss a dozen bars of ivory soap in the water for anyone who wants to use it.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Guys%20Retreat%202011/DSC00566.jpg

Bilbo Bagins
04-26-2012, 11:56
Another oddity of Ivory that I personally see as a benefit, is that unlike most bar soap it floats. On our three-day "Guys Retreats" there's no showering, but there's occasions to jump in the pond; so we'll just toss a dozen bars of ivory soap in the water for anyone who wants to use it.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Guys%20Retreat%202011/DSC00566.jpg

Better to use floating Ivory soap, then to be bent over, underwater in a murky pond looking for soap in a "Guys Retreat" :whistling:

Que the banjo music....

Anyway I'm also a big Ivory Soap fan. Not only is it a hand soap but you can wash your body and your hair (even though the ladies will complain it dries the crap out of their hair), in a pinch you can use it to clean dishes, and clothes.

Also since its 99.9% pure, its OK to uses as a camp soap, and unlike the hippie hikers beloved Dr. Bonners soap which is basically a bear sized Peppermint Altoid, Ivory soap does not have a strong scent that attracts bugs and wildlife.

jarubla
04-26-2012, 14:16
Do you make the liquid type with Borax, Washing Soda, and a bar of soap? I've looked into doing it but not sure how well it gets clothes clean.

I did this and used the soap for over a year in our Frigidaire HE washing machine. Worked pretty well, but I felt that after a time the clothes had a 'buildup' on them. We eventually quit because it just seemed like they got to a point where they weren't getting clean. We corrected the issue by starting use of commercial type detergents again.

If you do want to try the straight homemade route, note that cold water wash will leave residue (and your whites will get dull).

In my experience rotating between homemade and commercial (say two months on, two months off) will maximize both your dollar and your clothes' life.

As a side note, I still have fixin's for making more homemade soap. Stock up on borax, washing soda and fels naptha or zote if you see them when you are out and about (some places just don't carry them).

-Jay

lawman800
04-26-2012, 23:05
With all the great things about Dove, I am surprised CA hasn't banned it yet.

M1A Shooter
04-26-2012, 23:20

this is what i use. i havent been using it all that long, 3 months or so, but i havent noticed any kind of residue and my clothes are clean. i even use it in a front loading HE washer. only time will tell. i do appreciate the heads up of the possibility from the poster above though.

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-27-2012, 06:25
We have done the homemade stuff also.. didn't seem to have any problems, but we also don't do cold water wash if the clothes don't call for it. I did find a big "ball" of undissolved soap in our drain pump housing/plenum a while back.. but I cannot say it was caused by either type.

EDIT: Hot water is good. It's one of the things that causes civilization to be, well, civilized.

auto-5
04-29-2012, 07:25
If you take the bar soap out of the boxes and let it dry out it will last a whole lot longer.

Stevekozak
04-29-2012, 08:06
This thread is much more interesting than I would have thought from the title. I need to go buy some soap!! :)

Allfal
05-01-2012, 23:15
We have done the homemade stuff also.. didn't seem to have any problems, but we also don't do cold water wash if the clothes don't call for it. I did find a big "ball" of undissolved soap in our drain pump housing/plenum a while back.. but I cannot say it was caused by either type.

EDIT: Hot water is good. It's one of the things that causes civilization to be, well, civilized.

Some recommend boiling the mixture before use to get the fels to mix with the other ingredients. I have never tried that. If you grate or grind the fels fine it seems to wash with no problem in cold water. I just made it a few times in order to know how. I still think store bought cleans better, unless I add trisodium phosphate. That's an ingredient removed from detergent years ago. The raw chemical is still available at hardware stores, lowes, home depot ect, as a cleaning agent.

The home made detergent does not seem to produce any suds. Add some trisodium phosphate and it suds all up. Seems to make the clothes cleaner. Obviously, don't do it if prohibited by law.