My rights as an Iowa student *sigh* [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My rights as an Iowa student *sigh*

eccho
04-25-2012, 16:17
I am a 21 year old student at a local college that happens to me close to one elementary school and one high school. In iowa code there is a 1000 foot gun free zone around primary and secondary schools. (some gun owners debate the exact nature of code section 724.4A, but a talk with the local sherrif tells me how it is currently enforced).

Nothing in Iowa code says anything about colleges. I noticed new signage in the parking lot saying no weapons are allowed of any kind. Great, so I politely ask the facilities manager where the property line ends.

Much to my delight, the end of the property line for my college is awfully close to that 1000 foot zone for the two nearby schools. So not only did the school tell me if I have a firearm stored in my property on their property, I can be expelled, but the same applies for even a small pocketknife. It's "weapons of any kind" in our parking lot apparently.

I find it ironic that here in iowa, it wouldn't be a crime per say to carry on campus but private property owners can regulate their land as they see fit. That means whoever is reading this could probably come to my campus armed, and would simply be asked to leave, but a three inch buck knife in my pocket could get me expelled despite my permit to carry weapons.

I am not a criminal, and allowing me to leave my weapon in my car is not equivalent to Elmer Fudd babysitting second graders. /end rant