Standard cirriculum for classes? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Standard cirriculum for classes?

metallitera
04-26-2012, 12:40
Is there any standardized class cirriculum for training classes for civilians?

I have my CHL but am interested in more training such as shooting from a supine position, rapid fire, weak hand shooting, weapon retintion, etc. There are lots of classes offered by lots of different people but without any standard of what they're "teaching", im sure its very easy to waste your money on either; flat out wrong information & techniques, or, difficult to say the least, at being able to choose a quality program.

Mas Ayoob
04-26-2012, 14:33
Some states have a standard curriculum that instructors must follow to approve graduates for concealed carry permits. In the private sector, go to the websites of the various schools, and if the curriculum of each class they offer is not self-explanatory, contact the school and ask specifically.

Bear in mind that shooting while moving, shooting from disadvantaged positions, etc., usually isn't taught to someone who hasn't been through a more fundamental class at the same school, or another recognized by the given school.

best,
Mas

metallitera
04-26-2012, 17:32
Is there any nationally known way that schools will teach? "we teach john doe's way of shooting" or something to that effect?

Additionally, are there specific things I can look for when browsing the schools cirriculum? Like an outline of certain topics that should be covered in a basic class, and then more advanced level. I feel i am not a bad shooter and am very familiar with the safe operation of my fire arms, but also recognize that some places might want me to go through their basic class first.

Mas Ayoob
04-26-2012, 18:23
If they mention the Modern Technique, they're talking about the concepts promulgated by the late Col. Jeff Cooper at Gunsite and widely copied at other schools. If they offer Target Focused Shooting and mention Rob Pincus, they've probably been authorized by Rob to teach his system. And cetera...

Most instructors use an amalgam of techniques that they've found to work the best for their students.

It's more than worth your time to do a Google search of both school and instructor, and look for AARs (after action reports) about the classes by students. You'll find some here in the Search function at GT.

best,
Mas