Review, ISSC M22, 4" version, AAF serial prefix [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Review, ISSC M22, 4" version, AAF serial prefix

guncats
04-26-2012, 17:47
Disclaimer: any info you see in this review is for educational and entertainment purpose only :whistling:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z5/audiocats/IMGP2509.jpg

Recently picked up a little Glock look-a-like ISSC pistol, here is a little review on it. This one has the AAF serial prefix and only came with one spring, so I suppose it is a later production.

The little gun feels solid, very well made. slide shell is made of alloy, the alloy seem to be of very high quality, not the Jennings/Bryco type pot-metal. Breech block is well machined, I'd rate the machine work quality as high as my Steyr M40's. Well, they are both Austrian guns, after all.
There is a sub-frame containing the trigger group and barrel. The sub-frame is alloy, looks similar to the alloy used in slide shell. The sub-frame can be taken off the plastic grip by drifting out two cross pins.

Grip is made off thick plastic, similar to what is on a Glock, except thicker/sturdier.
For those of you wanting a ISSC for "Glock practise".... the grip is quit a bit smaller than what is on a real Glock, so the feel is quite different. Trigger feels similar to a Glock trigger, and pull weight is similar to a 5.5LB factory trigger, but the reset is much longer than what is on my gen-3 G35.
The trigger feel is different enough that I would not want to use this little gun for a "Glock-trainig", especially for repeat-firing.
And.... won't fit into my Fobus glock holser, the rail part under the slide is too thick.

The mags are very very well made, solid metal construction. Single stack, holds 10rd. This gun comes with a magazine-disconnect, if you don't like this feature you can disable it by taking out the little disconnect piece and the spring (under the trigger linkage bar, you will see it once the sub-frame is out of the grip).
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z5/audiocats/IMGP2504.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z5/audiocats/IMGP2503.jpg
( ** Do not lose the little "trigger bar pusher" plunger and spring when you take the sub-frame out of the grip.)

Barrel is mounted solidly onto the sub-frame, it seems that it is locked into place by one cross pin and one cross screw?
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z5/audiocats/IMGP2505.jpg

Safety: the trigger system is a single action with slide mounted safety. Once engaged, the safety bar rotates out and will shield the firing pin from a hammer strike. And when it is engaged it also decocks the hammer, you can not cock the hammer with the safety on. If you don't like the automatic decocking function, you can take out the little lever that is sticking up (where the screw driver is pointing at in the photo).
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z5/audiocats/IMGP2512.jpg

Reliability:
with powerful enough ammo, this little gun is reliable even when it is dirty. And, no misfires.
-- federal bulk-pack: not enough wooph to cycle reliably. Wish this thing has a 5" barrel, then I am sure it will cycle fine.
-- federal automatch: not hot enough either.
-- remington golden bullet: note to self: ABSOLUTLY do NOT use Remington HV in this gun. The golden bullet cycles very but I encounted two raptured rim (aka. KABOOM!) in 30 rounds. It seems that the hot loading plus the fact that the firing pin mark is cutting into the case pretty deep caused the thin remington case to rapture right at the firing pin mark.
-- remington Viper: again, ABSOLUTLY do NOT use Remington HV in this gun. I only fired three rounds, the third KABOOM'ed.
-- CCI blazer: 100% when the barrel is clean. Start to have failure-to-extract/eject after about 100rd or so. Fired cases have big bulge, similar to fired cases from a TacSol TSG-22 conversion.
My take on this little pistol:
-- reliability is much better than my TSG conversion, at least there is no light-strikes. however it is still ammo sensitive. A longer barrel can solve the cycling problem (bullet stays in the barrel longer, longer pressure duraiton, more recoil energy transfered to the slide). I'd bet the Fed bulk-pack will cycle 100% in the 5.5" version.
-- feel is similar to the glock but not quite there. Not a real "glock simulator". The fact that it won't fit into a Glock holster is a deal-killer.
-- other than plinking for fun, there is not much other purpose. If you want to carry it cocked with safety on, you will have to disable the decocker first. (Otherwise you will have to draw -->flip the safety off --> cock the hammer...since the hammer can not be cocked when the safety is on)
-- the mechanical accuracy should be great, judging from the very well made Austrian barrel (well, it does have Austrian proof-mark on it). But how are you gonna mount the optic? It does have the under rail in front of the trigger guard, you can put a mount there, but it is still clamping on plastic and can flex a little.
Would I recommand the M22 to anybody?....If he wants something to simulate a Glock, this thing won't cut it, better wait for a good conversion. Now if he just want a good little plinker that is well made and fun, I'd say get the M22, but it needs to be the longer barrel version (4.5" threaded or 5.5"). JGsales currently have the 5.5" version for $260, that is about as good a deal as any other 22 plinkers on the market right now.

Have fun

ADK_40GLKr
05-04-2012, 07:22
My 5.5" M22 does fit in my cheap Uncle Mike's G19 (etc.) holster. I think the slide lock bar catches a little, but no problem, just a bit of resistance.

I don't notice the difference in feel from the Glock that you described, except that the recoil of the center fired weapon is WAAAY heavier when shooting it AFTER the .22.:faint:

But I'm shooting my G27 with no extra backstrap so that may be why I don't notice the grip difference.

bac1023
05-04-2012, 21:52
Thanks for the report.

doc540
05-05-2012, 14:09
Thanks

Just bought a "new" one a couple of weeks ago.

cliffs:
Would not run.
LGS swapped it for a "newer" one.
FTE's, FTF's first three mag's
Ran fine with CCI Mini-Mags after that: 75 rounds

Jury's still out.

guncats
05-06-2012, 11:52
ADK....the ISSC grip is about 1/16" thinner and about the same amount slimmer front to back. Is your 5.5" with "glock-look-alike"grip or the new style grip?

I am in the process of filing the firing pin tip flat so it won't pierce into the case too much and cause a kaboom (have a bunch of Rem golden bullets to use up)

ADK_40GLKr
05-06-2012, 17:00
ADK....the ISSC grip is about 1/16" thinner and about the same amount slimmer front to back. Is your 5.5" with "glock-look-alike"grip or the new style grip?

I am in the process of filing the firing pin tip flat so it won't pierce into the case too much and cause a kaboom (have a bunch of Rem golden bullets to use up)

If you mean the trigger guard, mine is rounded.

Didn't know KABOOM could be a problem with ISSC.

guncats
05-06-2012, 18:31
I suppose round trigger guard --> newer grip....Or maybe 5.5" version all have different grips?

I got 2 KB out of 30rds of Rem Golden Bullet, and one KB out of 3 rounds of Rem viper, previously, so KB was a concern to me. I suspect it has more to do with the ammo than anything else, since both are Remington...:upeyes:.

Anyway I grinded down the firing pin tip by maybe 0.010", using a diamond bit on a dremel. Went to the range and shot 50rd of Blazer with no issue of any kind (to confirm it still works with "good ammo"), then I fired over 100rd of Golden Bullet, no Kaboom. The Golden bullet does feel significantly hotter, it recoils really hard, even though the published energy is about the same as the Blazer. maybe the chamber pressure rises much quicker therefore gives more energy in a short barrel? And the recoil feel is not consistant, some rounds recoils pretty violently:shocked:.

Maybe I will make a polyurathane buffer, to tame them wild golden bullets.:whistling:

smokin762
05-06-2012, 20:51
I like my ISSC M22. I have had it for a while now and I take it with me, just about everytime I go to the range.

So far, I have tried Blazer, CCI Mini Mags, Federal Bulk pack and Winchester X. No problems.

On their website they tell you, you may need to polish the feed ramp. I just haven't found the need to do that yet.

ADK_40GLKr
05-13-2012, 15:24
My 5.5" M22 does fit in my cheap Uncle Mike's G19 (etc.) holster. I think the slide lock bar catches a little, but no problem, just a bit of resistance.

I don't notice the difference in feel from the Glock that you described, except that the recoil of the center fired weapon is WAAAY heavier when shooting it AFTER the .22.:faint:

But I'm shooting my G27 with no extra backstrap so that may be why I don't notice the grip difference.

I'll update my own post here:

My ISSC also fits quite well in the new Crossbreed SuperTuck I just purchased for my G27. (It does rub at the slide lock bar and might scar the black polish on the leather.)

guncats
05-14-2012, 20:46
ADK, since we have different style frames....what is the distance between the bottom surface of the rail and the top surface of the slide, on your ISSC? On mine it is 1.5"/38mm.

ADK_40GLKr
05-23-2012, 19:26
ADK, since we have different style frames....what is the distance between the bottom surface of the rail and the top surface of the slide, on your ISSC? On mine it is 1.5"/38mm.

Hmmm.. I'm at camp, and the .22's at home, but I'd guess there's no difference. AFAIK, the only reason they changed the trigger guard was because Glock sued them.

guncats
05-28-2012, 17:12
measured my G35, it is 36mm from the bottom of rail to the top of slide.

Roughly 0.1" difference, that explains why the ISSC won't fit my fobus Glock holser.

Update, ammo warning:
Shot about 300rd of Blazer over the last two weeks. Lots of rapid fires, the barrel got pretty hot, and..... discovered lots of lead fouling during cleaning, mostly the first 1.5" from the muzzle. Somehow my buckmark target doesn't have this problem, I'd guess the difference is the barrel temp, the buckmark's bull barrel doesn't get hot so the bullet lube was working, not so in the thinner/warmer ISSC barrel. I guess I will be shooting Remington Golden in this little gun from now on (went through over 200 rounds after the firing pin tip polish, no kaboom).
If I have to shoot un-plated HV ammo through this gun, the barrel can not get hot (no rapid fire), or there will be major lead fouling.

Blazer fouls up the Tactical solutions conversion as well, big chunks of lead stuck to the rifling :crying:.....

HPFlashman
06-07-2012, 04:51
I have one of the M22 Glockalikes, works ok. With a bit of fiddeling it takes sights made for Glocks but the material in the slide is somewhat thinner so either shimming up or filing down the front sight screw is in order.

I`ve found that the gun will not fit in any of the proper Kydex holsters I have for the Glocks (Safariland and Comp Tac) but it will fit in two of Glocks holsters, the original pos and what I think is called the police model as well as an old leather holster I have of the Askins Avenger type.

I`ve also found that the M22 are not particulary compatible with large hands (size 12) and two handed grips. My hands will with this gripping, push the magazine back, messing with proper function. One handed it works great. I`m in the process of selling it off and get an AdvantageArms kit.