Pistol purchase permits "rant" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pistol purchase permits "rant"

tim12232
04-26-2012, 19:15
So let me vent a little bit here about my NC pistol purchase permit headaches. Here in NC to purchase a handgun, you must go to the sheriff and apply for the permit to purchase, you pay 5 dollars for every petit you want and are told that due to volume they can take up to 30 days!!!!! I and others most of the time p into the sheriffs office dip off the application and will have a notification in the mail within a week that there ready fr pick up.
I have my shield on layaway and is ready to picked up but the damn sheriff wont do my permit until the 30th day!!!!
Any NC folks here that have had similar headaches withy mecklenburg sheriff taking his sweet time while you as a law abiding citizen wait for his blessing?

End rant,
Tim

tim12232
04-26-2012, 19:17
Sorry for spelling....iPhone sucks sometimes

4TS&W
04-26-2012, 19:19
So get a ccw. Then you don't have to get the purchase permits..

wrenrj1
04-26-2012, 19:20
Interesting, here in Nebraska the process is fairly simple. You need to renew every three-years, taking about fifteen-minutes and $5.00 to do so. You receive it in about a week. If you have a CCW from the state, it's even easier to purchase a handgun.

4TS&W
04-26-2012, 19:23
Have you joined GRNC and the NRA in order to change things?

Mister_Beefy
04-26-2012, 19:37
you've located the elephant in the room.

best of luck to you and your purchase.

4TS&W
04-26-2012, 19:42
I should say, I felt your pain... I lived in Char-Meck, and I went with the ccw. (and joined NRA/GRNC) I'm not trying to be critical, I'm trying to help you see that there are options to try and change things for the better if you like, permanently, as well as find a short term solution..

tim12232
04-26-2012, 19:47
So get a ccw. Then you don't have to get the purchase permits..

Have you joined GRNC and the NRA in order to change things?

I have a VA nonresident and really didn't see the benefit at the time to get a NC CHP. I am an NRA memebr but not GRNC, I know that things have come up to get rid of the ppp process but never get passed. At least we have castle doctrine now!

Black Dog Coffee
04-26-2012, 19:51
I and others most of the time p into the sheriffs office dip
Well, if you pee'd in his dip he's probably pretty ticked off at you!

USMCsilver
04-26-2012, 19:52
At least we have castle doctrine FOR now!

There. Wanted to fix that for you.

cphilip
04-26-2012, 19:57
Interesting, here in Nebraska the process is fairly simple...

And even simpler here in SC... we don't need no permits... :tongueout:

USMCsilver
04-26-2012, 19:58
And even simpler here in SC... we don't need no permits... :tongueout:

Yup. And just a few years ago, we did away with the "one handgun a month law".

Now, if we could just carry into a decent restaurant...:whistling:

cphilip
04-26-2012, 20:04
Now, if we could just carry into a decent restaurant...:whistling:

Amen...

Caver 60
04-26-2012, 20:11
Very glad MO got rid of that stupid law about 7 or 8 years ago.

The KKK got that law implemented in MO. Back then a permit cost 50 cents. If your skin color was correct you got your permit. By the time they got rid of the law, the permit cost 10 bucks, but the skin color didn't matter anymore.

Thats' the history behind many of these stupid laws from way back when.

m2hmghb
04-26-2012, 20:14
You got it lucky. In NJ you apply for the permit, no more then 5 at a time, pay your fees(which can be pricey) then wait for the permits to be delivered to pick them up(which can be up to 3-6 months although state law says 30 days). The permits expire in 3 months(but you can extend them for another 3 months by paying a fee), and you are limited to one handgun per month.

tim12232
04-26-2012, 21:03
You got it lucky. In NJ you apply for the permit, no more then 5 at a time, pay your fees(which can be pricey) then wait for the permits to be delivered to pick them up(which can be up to 3-6 months although state law says 30 days). The permits expire in 3 months(but you can extend them for another 3 months by paying a fee), and you are limited to one handgun per month.

:wow: 3-6 months even with a 30 day limit? how does that work?

Our are good for 5 years, but like others have said, it part of Jim Crowe laws that are racially based.

If I didnt have mine within the 30 day limit the state gives, I would be at the Sheriffs office until they printed them up!
The worst part is they themselves use the NICS check that any gunshop would use.

TSAX
04-26-2012, 22:43
In CA, I had to wait 10 days for the first new gun and 30 days for an additional new gun. Used guns can be every 10 days but I had to wait 70 days for 3 Glocks I bought at a gun show several years back. Now in WA with my carry permit I can buy and pick up same day and as many as I want/can afford. Each state has its own bs/hoops. I am for the background checks but not the long waits unless there some issue.

:50cal:

Stuntman22
04-27-2012, 00:50
So let me vent a little bit here about my NC pistol purchase permit headaches. Here in NC to purchase a handgun, you must go to the sheriff and apply for the permit to purchase, you pay 5 dollars for every petit you want and are told that due to volume they can take up to 30 days!!!!! I and others most of the time p into the sheriffs office dip off the application and will have a notification in the mail within a week that there ready fr pick up.
I have my shield on layaway and is ready to picked up but the damn sheriff wont do my permit until the 30th day!!!!
Any NC folks here that have had similar headaches withy mecklenburg sheriff taking his sweet time while you as a law abiding citizen wait for his blessing?

End rant,
Tim

It depends how you look at it. I would consider it preety good. If you really want to jump through hoops, move to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey Comrade....

The Never-ending Saga of Firearms Ownership in New Jersey - Full Hi-Res version - YouTube

BamaBud
04-27-2012, 09:25
Purchase Permit? We don't need no stinkin' permit!

Oh wait, I do need one. That's why I buy when my wife is out of town!

Once it's in the safe, she doesn't know how many I bought! (Except she did ask when I bought another Fort Knox!)

Jerry
04-27-2012, 11:01
I love rants. It makes me feel better too.

The infringements we That People put up with AMAZES me. But then, in a socity that has largely become dependent on the government for everything the government can demand anything it dame well pleases.

And what exactly are these permits supposed to do stop criminals form obtaining guns? :rofl:

My money is on, itís all about the money and control of honorable men. :steamed:

We donít need permits here. I have a CCW, a City Commission, a unique name and a one of a kind SS # yet I have a hold put on my purchase every time I purchase a firearm. Seems I must have opened my mouth once too often and made some government list. I donít know for sure because every government DRONE Iíve spoken with says they donít know and even if they did they canít give me any information and canít tell me who can or where to go to find out. Iím told I can fill out a FBI form, send it in with a picture and fingerprints and get a #, which in turn can be given to the INSTANT Background Check DRONE which MAY allow me to walk out with my purchase. Since I have what I want and very rarely make any new purchases now-a-days F-um.

Ps. I had so many that I began giving them to homeless people and dang if I didnít just give away the last one. :rofl:

AlphaTea
04-28-2012, 00:19
It depends how you look at it. I would consider it preety good. If you really want to jump through hoops, move to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey Comrade....

The Never-ending Saga of Firearms Ownership in New Jersey - Full Hi-Res version - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC2iu3CTPc)

You all have it made.
NY sux. You have to get a CCW permit to even own a handgun. You cannot even touch a handgun unless you have a permit.
It can take a year to get your permit, if it is granted at all. You want to buy another handgun? Go ahead. You cant take it home though. Each and every handgun has to be added to your permit with its serial number, model, caliber etc. So you have to wait until your permit is updated by the Judge. He then signs a piece of paper that that tells the County Clerk to update your permit with the info and the clerk then mails you a new permit and that paper from the judge. You give that paper the the person selling the gun and THEN you can take it home. I've had it take from 2 weeks to 2 months to add another pistol to my permit.
Oh yea, same applies to selling one of your handguns too.
NY sux.

tim12232
04-28-2012, 05:42
Sounds to me that NY is the worst with NJ being a pretty close second, and I have lived and purchased in CA and the worst part is waiting the 10 "24 hour" periods to pick up after purchasing. It is really nothing more than true infringement on 2nd amendment rights and I wont start talking about that so much because Im sure there are plenty of threads here about infringements!

Gunnut 45/454
04-28-2012, 20:06
I'm so glad ID doesn't have such of an Infringement to the 2nd! Why do you have to ask permission to Use your right to own? Sue them for infringemnt of your rights. The SCOTUS has already ruled that you have the right to own without permission.:steamed:

IhRedrider
04-28-2012, 21:02
They will inflict what ever tax or fee YOU are willing to pay.

Get involved and show "them" who "we the people " are, or quit crying.

Start where you are. Demand that they respect the constitution. It is their obligation and YOUR duty.

NMPOPS
04-30-2012, 23:08
Ah! Arizona. - no permits needed, Constitutional carry. Just walk in, hand them the money, they do the Insta-check, you walk out with your new gun.

Sent from my Ally

KentuckyPatriot
05-01-2012, 07:07
Heck...In Kentucky we hand over our CCDW card and no NICS is performed as the card is deemed to represent the same background check.

Jerry
05-01-2012, 11:30
Heck...In Kentucky we hand over our CCDW card and no NICS is performed as the card is deemed to represent the same background check.

We had the same in Louisiana but the MORONS changed the law. :steamed: