Does the mind kill God? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does the mind kill God?

greentriple
04-26-2012, 22:22
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-religion-analytical-thinking-20120427,0,5374010.story

ArtificialGrape
04-26-2012, 22:51
Already posted here (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417923)

Ramjet38
04-27-2012, 17:55
I've learned over my life time that gut instinct has kept me out of trouble and saved my life more than once, and overthinking an issue has never turned out good. I think I'll stay the course "gut instinct again".

packsaddle
04-28-2012, 13:12
your gut instinct evolved from lucky animals whose gut instincts saved them from death too 49 million years ago.

the gut instinct gene was passed on to you because evolution loves you and wants you to live and pass it on to other lucky mutants.

be sure to thank an aardvark and an alligator next time you see one.

Ramjet38
04-28-2012, 17:37
your gut instinct evolved from lucky animals whose gut instincts saved them from death too 49 million years ago.

the gut instinct gene was passed on to you because evolution loves you and wants you to live and pass it on to other lucky mutants.

be sure to thank an aardvark and an alligator next time you see one.

I'm so ever grateful, and their faithful servant. :notworthy:

I also promise not to eat 'gator tail anymore.
:rofl:

greentriple
04-28-2012, 17:43
Clearly dogmatic faith is not a problem for you two. If it were you disagree with the evolution you rely on.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Ramjet38
04-28-2012, 17:52
Clearly dogmatic faith is not a problem for you two. If it were you disagree with the evolution you rely on.

I rely on evolution? Maybe YOU do.

You keep on believing the evolution dogma without God and see what you harvest from that.

WS6
04-28-2012, 17:59
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-religion-analytical-thinking-20120427,0,5374010.story

Was the title of this thread the result of an intuitive response to the article?

greentriple
04-28-2012, 18:14
:)

Evolution, Creationism, God, no God...

Death may reveal the truth.

Gunhaver
04-28-2012, 18:21

Evolution, Creationism, God, no God...

Death may reveal the truth.

I wanted to know sooner so I read more than one book.

Arc Angel
04-28-2012, 19:51
IT IS NOT A MAN'S CONSCIOUS MIND THAT DESTROYS FAITH IN GOD. IT IS HIS EMOTIONAL HEART, INSTEAD.

If a man's heart is bad then whatever, 'vestiges of God' he might initially possess strangles and dies within him. If a man protects and continues to develop that heart Which God originally gave him then his faith in God is certain to increase and grow.

This ain't, 'rocket science', people. It's simple Judeo-Christian morality, instead.

LASTRESORT20
04-28-2012, 19:56
I've learned over my life time that gut instinct has kept me out of trouble and saved my life more than once, and overthinking an issue has never turned out good. I think I'll stay the course "gut instinct again".

This ^^^....we (most) were given a "Gut instinct"

Animal Mother
04-28-2012, 20:22
IT IS NOT A MAN'S CONSCIOUS MIND THAT DESTROYS FAITH IN GOD. IT IS HIS EMOTIONAL HEART, INSTEAD.

If a man's heart is bad then whatever, 'vestiges of God' he might initially possess strangles and dies within him. If a man protects and continues to develop that heart Which God originally gave him then his faith in God is certain to increase and grow.

This ain't, 'rocket science', people. It's simple Judeo-Christian morality, instead.Could you describe this uniquely Judeo-Christian morality for us?

Geko45
04-28-2012, 20:43

This ^^^....we (most) were given a "Gut instinct"

The fallacy of anecdotal evidence.

ArtificialGrape
04-28-2012, 21:06
Could you describe this uniquely Judeo-Christian morality for us?
You know... if your child strikes or curses you, kill him... kill homosexuals, witches, fortune tellers... if a woman was not a virgin when she got married, stone her to death on her father's doorstep... if a woman was raped in town, but was not heard screaming, she should be killed...

-ArtificialGrape

greentriple
04-28-2012, 21:13
I am a gnostic, and have deep faith in "God". I'm also a sceptic and believe logic and reason serve us best in this world.

Values, are man made. Morals are man made. Books are man made.

GreenDrake
04-29-2012, 06:40
You know... if your child strikes or curses you, kill him... kill homosexuals, witches, fortune tellers... if a woman was not a virgin when she got married, stone her to death on her father's doorstep... if a woman was raped in town, but was not heard screaming, she should be killed...

-ArtificialGrape

Yeah but AG, they got a do-over. Response will be something like, "but then god sent his son to set the record straight, and die for our sins" . Some christian responses are pretty elaborate, they just didn't anticipate mankind would find out the earth was round or that other continents existed, etc.

Vic Hays
04-29-2012, 09:39
Yeah but AG, they got a do-over. Response will be something like, "but then god sent his son to set the record straight, and die for our sins" . Some christian responses are pretty elaborate, they just didn't anticipate mankind would find out the earth was round or that other continents existed, etc.

You believe the myth that man thought the earth was flat?
You believe the myth that man did not realize there were other continents? Do you check your facts before you spout them as truth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth
"Historian Jeffrey Burton Russell says the flat earth error flourished most between 1870 and 1920, and had to do with the ideological setting created by struggles over evolution.[6] Russell claims "with extraordinary [sic] few exceptions no educated person in the history of Western Civilization from the third century B.C. onward believed that the earth was flat," and credits histories by John William Draper, Andrew Dickson White, and Washington Irving for popularizing the flat-earth myth."

The Bible authors knew that the earth consisted of more than their local area.

Isaiah 51:5 My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and my arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait on me, and on my arm shall they trust.

Ramjet38
04-29-2012, 17:38
The fallacy of anecdotal evidence.

And again you haven't a clue to life except what some simple-minded person taught you, or told you. Please branch out a little more for your own sake, and look beyond the dogma of evolution without God.

Ramjet38
04-29-2012, 17:48
Evolution, Creationism, God, no God... Death may reveal the truth.

It most certainly will.

Geko45
04-29-2012, 19:54
And again you haven't a clue to life except what some simple-minded person taught you, or told you. Please branch out a little more for your own sake, and look beyond the dogma of evolution without God.

LOL! Do you realize I was believer for 36 years until I finally sat down and studied the bible in a formal academic setting as taught by professors of divinity? The only way to maintain belief in the bible as the infallible word of god is to not actually read it (or have a tremendous capacity to tolerate cognitive dissonance).

juggy4711
04-29-2012, 20:18
It is a fact that the more "educated" one is the less likely they are to believe in God. While I would not go so far as to say that the educated mind kills God, it should certainly rule out the religious concept of a supreme being.

Gunhaver
04-29-2012, 20:21

The dogma of evolution? :rofl:

Hoooo, that's funny right there I don't care who you are.

That's like the dogma of calculus or the dogma of botany. When you're scientifically literate and have no more preconceived reason to doubt evolution than you do Ohm's law then it makes perfect sense. If not then you'd see people making valid arguments against the actual claims of the theory rather than against the constant strawmen they have to construct.

How often do you see atheists do that? When was the last time someone said, "You really expect me to believe that this Moses fella sailed a boat full of animals across the red sea until he was nailed to a cross by a talking snake and swallowed by a whale only to be resurrected by Lazarus? How absurd!"?

Some stories are absurd enough to argue on their own and others have to be twisted up a bit.

Gunhaver
04-29-2012, 20:26
Oh, and regarding the OP, when I was 8 I killed Santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny all with the power of my mind. Exploded their heads like 3 Cadbury eggs in the microwave. I swore to use my power only for good, so here I am.

Berto
04-29-2012, 20:26
It is a fact that the more "educated" one is the less likely they are to believe in God. While I would not go so far as to say that the educated mind kills God, it should certainly rule out the religious concept of a supreme being.

LOL, the older I get, the more I realize how little I know.

Geko45
04-29-2012, 20:28
LOL, the older I get, the more I realize how little I know.

Then you're doing it wrong.

Ramjet38
04-30-2012, 17:49
LOL! Do you realize I was believer for 36 years until I finally sat down and studied the bible in a formal academic setting as taught by professors of divinity? The only way to maintain belief in the bible as the infallible word of god is to not actually read it (or have a tremendous capacity to tolerate cognitive dissonance).

Good for you. Too bad you didn't comprehend the core curriculum, and also to be able to realize and understand things that are outside of text.

Ramjet38
04-30-2012, 17:52
I swore to use my power only for good, so here I am.

:rofl: Now that's funny.

Ramjet38
04-30-2012, 17:55

By all means keep thinking that if it makes you feel better.

Berto
04-30-2012, 18:17
Then you're doing it wrong.

That sounds dogmatic.:whistling:

greentriple
04-30-2012, 20:02
Oh, and regarding the OP, when I was 8 I killed Santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny all with the power of my mind. Exploded their heads like 3 Cadbury eggs in the microwave. I swore to use my power only for good, so here I am.

That was funny. I have young kids, in my home I've raised them from death and quite frankly it makes for more smiles and cool gifts.

juggy4711
05-01-2012, 23:34
By all means keep thinking that if it makes you feel better.

Unlike the religious I do not care how it makes me feel. It is statistically measurable.