Best way to lubricate a 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lubricate a 1911

JoleBole
04-27-2012, 01:30
Hi everyone.

I just bought my first 1911 (a Ruger SR1911) and I immediately noticed that I'm gonna need to lube the rails more so I can have smoother slide action. There is lot more friction between the slide and the frame, compared to my Glock. I see that some people use oil, some use grease for the rails, cuz that's where the most friction is. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Nakanokalronin
04-27-2012, 05:10
I use grease on all of my semi-auto slides and oil everywhere else. The only exception might be the Beretta 92s where I apply grease on the barrel rails/locking block as well. You should also go shoot it more which will break it in and smooth things out.

ArmoryDoc
04-27-2012, 05:11
Absolutely there is more friction because there is much more contact surface between the slide and frame. With a 1911 you have near full length frame rails and grooves contacting near full length slide rails and grooves. The Glock only has 4 small points where it contacts the slide.

My rules for lube are as follows:

For tight slide to frame fit I use oil. Don't be stingy.
For looser slide to frame fit I use a very light grease in very small amounts.

Your Ruger should qualify for a good, light grease such as Tetra or Weapon Shield.

Don't fall into the "if it rotates use oil, if it slides use grease." It's more important the tolerance of the slide to frame fit than the fact that it slides, in my opinion. Looser guns can take the grease but the viscosity is important. It should be "thin" grease.

This is just my highly experienced opinion with 1911's. Someone will be along shortly to refute it.

faawrenchbndr
04-27-2012, 06:07
My thoughts,.......?

If it slides, grease it.
If it rotates oil it!

Lately I prefer Slide-Glide & Slip 2000 EWL

** Just saw ArmoryDoc's post.........he has a bit of experience as well.
So,.................:whistling:

Nakanokalronin
04-27-2012, 06:17
I'll add that I've been using Militec grease on my slides for a few years now and their oil everywhere else. Some people seem to have a problem with it (mostly AR guys) but the grease is still there and clean no matter how many rounds I put through my semi-autos. The oil stays put and does the job as well.

ArmoryDoc
04-27-2012, 07:10
My thoughts,.......?

If it slides, grease it.
If it rotates oil it!

Lately I prefer Slide-Glide & Slip 2000 EWL

** Just saw ArmoryDoc's post.........he has a bit of experience as well.
So,.................:whistling:

LOL ! :rofl::wavey:

hotrodcummins12v
04-27-2012, 07:41
This will tick off some haters... I use Frog Lube... yes it's true. It does work great though and my slide racks like a dream... smoother than my Glock! :-)

Sub Club 828
1911 Club 828
Outdoor Hub Mobile

TN.Frank
04-27-2012, 07:52
I've been using Ballistol for so long I can't remember using anything else. I lock the slide back and spray a little down each grove in the slide and around the last inch of the barrel then I lower the slide and put a little squirt down into the hammer/sear area and that's about it. Rack the slide back and forth by hand a few times to work in the lube, wipe off the excess and load and store the gun back in the drawer.
I do have some little viles (for lack of a better word) of G.I. grease that I got when I bought an M1 Garand off of a guy, might give it a try on the slide to see how it works.

faawrenchbndr
04-27-2012, 07:59
This will tick off some haters... I use Frog Lube... yes it's true. It does work great though and my slide racks like a dream... smoother than my Glock! :-)

Sub Club 828
1911 Club 828
Outdoor Hub Mobile

Still need to try that stuff,......heard very good things about it.

okie
04-27-2012, 08:31
I use Royal Purple, Max Tuff engine assembly lube. That stuff is freakin awesome:thumbsup:

gator378
04-27-2012, 14:00
I use Royal Purple, Max Tuff engine assembly lube. That stuff is freakin awesome:thumbsup:

I use Mobil 1 15W-50. So far so good

fnfalman
04-27-2012, 14:21
I use WD-40.

never enough
04-27-2012, 17:14
Tetra grease for the rails,oil everything else

MoCop
04-27-2012, 18:10
CLP on everything.

Troubled Gecko
04-27-2012, 18:44
I typically use what ever motor oil I have on hand, never had the need for grease.

I think too much thought/hype goes into some of the lubricants used for normal daily carry. However, in harsh combat enviroments be it sub zero temps, very humid rain forest/jungle or desert enviroments closer attention needs to be given to your choice of lube.

jb1911
04-27-2012, 18:59
I use WD-40.

No you don't.

NeverMore1701
04-27-2012, 19:03
I just use Mobil 1 5w30 in both my vehicles and all my guns. Works great.

dakrat
04-27-2012, 20:23
I use whatever I can find in the garage. lately I have been using some Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle. this sum slick stuff. good enough for motorcycle wet clutches, good enough for my guns :)

Cobra64
04-27-2012, 22:18
Still need to try that stuff,......heard very good things about it.

Me too. There's been some very positive discussion over on Sig forum about it.

Until then, I'll continue using what Grayguns (http://grayguns.com/gallery/) recommended several years ago.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Gun%20Cleaning/GGI-02-19-11.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Gun%20Cleaning/P1010416.jpg

swinokur
04-28-2012, 04:50
TW25B on rails. FP-10 everywhere else.

Wil Ufgood
04-28-2012, 05:04
http://www.youdopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bacon-flavored-lube_640x645.jpg

jb1911
04-28-2012, 07:42
I've been using Gun Butter and I'm happy with it. Slicker'n snot on a door knob.

fnfalman
04-28-2012, 10:28
No you don't.

Yes I do. When the gun runs dry, squirt a bit more in.

It's not like I'm a tactical operator crawling through the desert of Iraq or climbing the mountains of Afghanistan or steathily tracked trafficantes in the jungles of Colombia.

cangler
04-28-2012, 12:28
I've been using just ballistol for everything, seems to be working just fine for me.

dakrat
04-28-2012, 13:49

It's not like I'm a tactical operator crawling through the desert of Iraq or climbing the mountains of Afghanistan or steathily tracked trafficantes in the jungles of Colombia.

you mean you don't use frog lube for that special mission where you have to swim a muddy swamp? its supposed to be water resistant :embarassed:

Wyoming
04-28-2012, 16:43

Scooter man* is right. It will work under the conditions stated. A few decades ago before we were told that WD40 wasn't a gun oil I used to use it. When shooting 22 revolvers I use to take a can and a 22 cal bore brush to clean out the chambers every so often and get back to shooting. Now I use high price cleaner/lubricate for that purpose mainly because if some one see my using WD40 I don't want to take the time to tell that it works just as well as the high price stuff.

* Several months ago on a motorcycle topic (which I know nothing about) I referred to fnfalman's fast Italian motorcycle as a foreign made "scooter":rofl:

minderasr
04-28-2012, 16:48
I've been using Gun Butter and I'm happy with it.

Same here.

El_Ron1
04-29-2012, 00:48
I use WD-40.

:patriot:

Jager1
04-29-2012, 12:53
Breakfree CLP for most applications.

Eezox is good stuff, but it evaporates so quickly, it makes me wonder if I applied it everywhere it needs to be.

Militec is another that works well.

Ballistol gets the job done.

I'm not particular about grease. Just about anything I've used has worked - from firearm specific ones to automotive applications.

JoleBole
04-30-2012, 00:42
By "accident" I bought some Tetra Gun Grease from my local gun store and it came up to be one of the best products out there. My SR1911 really likes this stuff :). I put about 200 rounds in two days and the slide action is smooth as a shaved (this will be censored, but you all know what I think) :) Balistol also is my primary and only gun cleaner I use currently.

Absolutely there is more friction because there is much more contact surface between the slide and frame. With a 1911 you have near full length frame rails and grooves contacting near full length slide rails and grooves. The Glock only has 4 small points where it contacts the slide.

My rules for lube are as follows:

For tight slide to frame fit I use oil. Don't be stingy.
For looser slide to frame fit I use a very light grease in very small amounts.

Your Ruger should qualify for a good, light grease such as Tetra or Weapon Shield.

Don't fall into the "if it rotates use oil, if it slides use grease." It's more important the tolerance of the slide to frame fit than the fact that it slides, in my opinion. Looser guns can take the grease but the viscosity is important. It should be "thin" grease.

This is just my highly experienced opinion with 1911's. Someone will be along shortly to refute it.

prez1967
04-30-2012, 07:25
I have CLP, Balistol, Hops....

I recently started using Wilson Combat lube products and im very happy with them all.

tsmo1066
04-30-2012, 10:44
I use either Breakfree or Mobil-1 5W-20.

Both work great.

COLDSTEEL165
04-30-2012, 13:36
I bought a new Ruger SR 1911 also, I am going to field strip it & clean it down with EEZOX as mfg instructed,Then let it dry overnight & lightly re apply it to the whole gun again. Then on the rails, & barrel lug only, I will use Brian Enos Slide Guide & then re assemble & then take it out & run some break in ammo through it. Once this is done this will be my EDC CC SD gun,Stuck in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster & loaded with Fed 230 gr HST ammo.

jb1911
04-30-2012, 14:29
I bought a new Ruger SR 1911 also, I am going to field strip it & clean it down with EEZOX as mfg instructed,Then let it dry overnight & lightly re apply it to the whole gun again. Then on the rails, & barrel lug only, I will use Brian Enos Slide Guide & then re assemble & then take it out & run some break in ammo through it. Once this is done this will be my EDC CC SD gun,Stuck in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster & loaded with Fed 230 gr HST ammo.

This sounds like the plan of the century. I wouldn't change a word of it.