Range Politics and Black Rifles [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range Politics and Black Rifles

whitebread
04-27-2012, 09:21
I belong to a nice private range with 300 members - skeet range, 250 yard rifle, and pistol pit. Most members are probably in their 50's or older, with maybe 20-30% being younger. On the rifle range you will see a lot of bench rest guns, lever guns, bolt actions, and a muzzle loader here and there. I am fairly active in the club, attend all meetings, dinners, work days, etc.

There seems to be growing tension between the older folk and 'those kids with black rifles.' A lot of sighs, dirty looks, and on rare occasion, a snarky comment when an AR or AK is pulled out of the rifle case. (I haven't seen this reaction to wooden stock M1A's or M1 Carbines.)

There are no rules prohibiting rate of fire, type of gun used, or anything like that. You just can't shoot the soft steel silhouette targets with jacketed bullets.

Why are other (more traditional?) shooters against black rifles? For the life of me, I can't figure it out. If you like shooting rifles, why wouldn't you embrace other rifle shooters regardless of their favored weapon? Please enlighten me!

HoldHard
04-27-2012, 11:54
Let's reverse the situation. You are now in your 60's and a young wipper-snapper pulls his latest "space gun" out of the case and starts shooting.

Would you be annoyed that his new rifle can outperform your Evil Black Rifle?

It's just one of those generational things.... unless you have gone all tacti-cool on it...:supergrin:

http://www.kollewin.com/EX/09-16-19/geared_out_AR15.jpg

HH

Firecop203
04-27-2012, 11:56
Bad press, bad reputation, bad image on TV. Take your pick.

ithaca_deerslayer
04-27-2012, 12:08
I belong to a nice private range with 300 members - skeet range, 250 yard rifle, and pistol pit. Most members are probably in their 50's or older, with maybe 20-30% being younger. On the rifle range you will see a lot of bench rest guns, lever guns, bolt actions, and a muzzle loader here and there. I am fairly active in the club, attend all meetings, dinners, work days, etc.

There seems to be growing tension between the older folk and 'those kids with black rifles.' A lot of sighs, dirty looks, and on rare occasion, a snarky comment when an AR or AK is pulled out of the rifle case. (I haven't seen this reaction to wooden stock M1A's or M1 Carbines.)

There are no rules prohibiting rate of fire, type of gun used, or anything like that. You just can't shoot the soft steel silhouette targets with jacketed bullets.

Why are other (more traditional?) shooters against black rifles? For the life of me, I can't figure it out. If you like shooting rifles, why wouldn't you embrace other rifle shooters regardless of their favored weapon? Please enlighten me!

Are you pacing your shots?
Picking up your brass?
Picking up your steel?
Obeying all the normal range etiquette?
Not destroying targets or backgrounds?
Picking up after yourself?
Not hitting the other guys with empties?
Not sweeping them with your guns?
Giving breaks at appropriate times to allow their target changes?

If you are doing all of that, they shouldn't have a problem. I suspect that some of the younger guys, if not you, are not doing all the stuff on that list. And that is the source of the problem.

Pacing shots is difficult to address. If they are used to one sort of pace, and timing their shots between other shots, and you come in there and set a different pace from a 30 round mag at a quicker tempo, that might be annoying for them.

But it is probably the other stuff in that list that really gets to them.

Just guesses :)

ronin.45
04-27-2012, 12:46
I see the same thing at some local ranges regarding pistols.
Most private shooting clubs were started several generations ago and have a decidedly "mature" member base. That older group is more comfortable with bullseye and maybe PPC competition. When they see someone practicing for IDPA or God forbid USPSA, they don't understand it. As with most people, they are against things they don't understand. Plastic guns and fast shooting are looked at as "punk kid" stuff.

I don't let it bother me.

sheepman
04-27-2012, 13:01
The range I belong to has over 1000 members, hosts muzzle loading matches, Hi Powder Matches (mostly black rifles), Black Powder cartage Matches ETC. The type of gun you shoot does not get as much attention as how you act when at the range. As listed above bad safety habits and lack of respect for other shooters will get comments.

Our range rules do not allow loaded guns other than at the firing line or rapped fire. This seams to be a problem with some of the younger shooters (WA is an open carry state) who feel they should not have to obey any rules. Also we used to allow 50BMG on the range but some one had to see if it would shoot through the over head baffles ( it did).

There is nothing bad about Black rifles or the people that shoot them. There always has been some groups that are not interested in some shooting venues and do not see why any one else should be either. As shooters some times we are our own worst enemy. :upeyes:

whitebread
04-27-2012, 13:51
Good insight. I think the pace of fire may be what is annoying them.

I don't see any .223 brass around, and always pick up all of mine, but there is a ton of steel 7.62x39 rusting in the grass in front of the firing line.

I should also disclose, most the other members don't seem to have a problem with me and area always friendly. I was just perplexed by what I have observed. I wasn't necessarily talking about prejudices against myself.

Reb 56
04-27-2012, 23:37
Well I'm 74 and enjoy shooting my AR at the Range,just don't understand why some Ranges insist on a 3 second pause between shots. As long as the shots are on the target what difference does it make?

Folsom_Prison
04-28-2012, 01:39
Well I'm 74 and enjoy shooting my AR at the Range,just don't understand why some Ranges insist on a 3 second pause between shots. As long as the shots are on the target what difference does it make?

At your age I'm surprised you know how to use a computer... :tongueout:

Just kidding of course! :supergrin:

One of the ranges around here doesn't permit rapid fire, it's beyond me as well!

04-28-2012, 03:32

Go ask Jim Zumbo. He'll tell you all about it.

Highspeedlane
04-28-2012, 04:38
Just pure speculation on my part but I believe some of the older folks just view younger participants shooting black rifles as not truly "embracing" the shooting sports, but rather into it for the "cool" factor, and perhaps along with that the inherent perception of recklessness.

Of course it doesn't have to be a "black rifle thing" either. I once got chastised at a range for having the audacity to carry my blued Ruger MkIII in a (gasp) leather hip holster instead of a more cushy and protective pistol rug.

I'm sure even before the black rifle era there were folks that looked down their noses at and held a dim view of, anyone who had the nerve to show up with a repeating Winchester. Why on earth would anyone need a lever action bullet launcher when "real" riflemen use single shots.

If it's not one thing, it will be another, rest assured.

Highspeedlane
04-28-2012, 04:42
Let's reverse the situation. You are now in your 60's and a young wipper-snapper pulls his latest "space gun" out of the case and starts shooting.

It's just one of those generational things.... unless you have gone all tacti-cool on it...:supergrin:

HH

That pic always cracks me up. It's missing a hood ornament though. If it had that it would be perfect...:whistling:

Highspeedlane
04-28-2012, 05:10
One of the ranges around here doesn't permit rapid fire, it's beyond me as well!

An older friend from work invited me to his range and suggested I join.

Went out to the pistol range and saw a sign that read, "No more than 6 rounds may be loaded at a time. No rapid fire"

No thanks.

eyelikeglasses
04-28-2012, 14:05
I get that alot. I'm covered in tattoos, might be bumping Tupac when I pull up, I like black rifles and AKMs. I'm also a well raised, God fearing, veteran. My book is judged by the cover constantly. My actions speak louder than words, even if a picture of me is worth thousands of them.

ponchsox
04-28-2012, 14:10
I was at the range today and heard what sounded like a cannon coming from the AR side of the range. It was an older gentleman shooting it. I definitely wouldn't want to be in the booth next to him. I double up in hearing protection when I shoot and it was loud from about 60 feet away.

DGilbert
04-28-2012, 14:23
It only takes a few bad examples to taint the rest of the field. I've seen shooters rip the heck out of target frames with black guns because they were shooting rapid fire and couldn't really control the firearm as well as they thought they could. That ultimately just costs the range and the users more money. Getting pelted with hot brass from a guy 5 positions down doesn't generate a lot of sympathy either. I don't really think it's the black rifle that generates the resentment, it's the youthful ignorance of range etiquette and disregard for others.

Decguns
04-28-2012, 14:24
I worked at a public range for many years. No bizarre rules on rapid fire and such. But I have to admit it is rather annoying to have a bunch of guys playing Rambo while you're trying to sight in your hunting rifle or trying to lay down the group of a life time. So I tend to put noobs flinging brass with evil black rifles over on the pistol range away from the bench's.

TN.Frank
04-28-2012, 14:31
Simple enough to fix. Pistols at one end, single shot and bolt guns in the middle and semi or full autos at the other end away from everyone.

eyelikeglasses
04-28-2012, 14:40
Simple enough to fix. Pistols at one end, single shot and bolt guns in the middle and semi or full autos at the other end away from everyone.
Quote for brilliance!

arclight610
04-28-2012, 15:08
Old people, that's your problem.

WoodenPlank
04-28-2012, 15:12
I've rarely run into that issue. At the public range I used to frequent, I saw just as many old guys showing up with black rifles (often of the transferrable, full-auto variety) as young guys.

NailShooter
04-28-2012, 16:22
I've rarely run into that issue....I saw just as many old guys showing up with black rifles....as young guys.

Yup, I'm one of those "old guys" and would much rather shoot my AR(s) than a Fudd rifle or shotgun. YMMV.

Nail

smokin762
04-28-2012, 16:32
At the Club that I belong to, I have met some guy's in their 70's and they shoot the same kind of EBR's I do. They act and talk like they are in their 40's as I am.

I have met some guy's at the Club who are in their 40's who you would think they are in their 70's.

Go figure. :dunno:

HAMMERHEAD
04-28-2012, 16:41
I don't have a problem with black rifles as long as all your bullets make it safely into the burm. At my range we have a neighbor who lives about a half mile past the end of the rifle range. She found so many bullets on her property near her house that we were forced to rent excavating equipment and build the burms extra high and dig the range lower, so that we shoot downhill slightly.

This was because of the tactical crowd bump firing their AR's and the rounds easily making it over the 200 yard burm. They even bring exploding targets and don't understand why it's not OK to destroy the target boards. ' I paid my $50, I can do whatever I want' is the typical response.

We are considering instituting a shoot from the bench only and slow fire only policies because the ***** #0les don't get it. And they love to go the action pistol range and puncture the steel plates when no one is watching.

smokin762
04-28-2012, 16:50
I don't have a problem with black rifles as long as all your bullets make it safely into the burm. At my range we have a neighbor who lives about a half mile past the end of the rifle range. She found so many bullets on her property near her house that we were forced to rent excavating equipment and build the burms extra high and dig the range lower, so that we shoot downhill slightly.

This was because of the tactical crowd bump firing their AR's and the rounds easily making it over the 200 yard burm. They even bring exploding targets and don't understand why it's not OK to destroy the target boards. ' I paid my $50, I can do whatever I want' is the typical response.

We are considering instituting a shoot from the bench only and slow fire only policies because the ***** #0les don't get it.

Stuff happens at all Clubs. It always has and always will. I have no problem with our Club Rules and they are very anal, but stupid people do stupid things. Welcome to society.

HAMMERHEAD
04-28-2012, 16:53
It used to be that gun owners were the responsible ones. Now every spoiled punk has an AR and thinks he has a God given right to spray lead wherever he pleases. In the end it will end up hurting all gun owners.

cowboywannabe
04-28-2012, 16:55
its because "asault" rifles tend to attract more idiots than a lever or bolt action.
when they get to know you and find out youre not one of "those idiots" theyll accept you as a normal guy too.

cowboywannabe
04-28-2012, 16:59
I get that alot. I'm covered in tattoos, might be bumping Tupac when I pull up, I like black rifles and AKMs. I'm also a well raised, God fearing, veteran. My book is judged by the cover constantly. My actions speak louder than words, even if a picture of me is worth thousands of them.

bro, you cant blame folks for judging you based on your looks. you made yourself look that way. it doesnt matter what kind of person you really are if you present a certain image first. thats what they see.

eyelikeglasses
04-28-2012, 17:20
bro, you cant blame folks for judging you based on your looks. you made yourself look that way. it doesnt matter what kind of person you really are if you present a certain image first. thats what they see.
Hey Bro, I could care less what anyone thinks. My statement never said that it mattered. I am a very successful person by any standard you find merit with. Expect for allowing judgement by fools to bother me. At that, I fail.

BTW, your name on here speaks a lot about you.

cowboywannabe
04-28-2012, 17:32
Hey Bro, I could care less what anyone thinks. My statement never said that it mattered. I am a very successful person by any standard you find merit with. Expect for allowing judgement by fools to bother me. At that, I fail.

BTW, your name on here speaks a lot about you.

and your responce doesnt say much for you. you seem to get bent out of shape too easy. didnt your dad hug you as a kid?:rofl:

eyelikeglasses
04-28-2012, 17:36
and your responce doesnt say much for you. you seem to get bent out of shape too easy. didnt your dad hug you as a kid?:rofl:
This isn't "The Daily Show". When your points don't work, you shouldn't resort to name calling.:faint:
I have the feeling this thread has hit close to home for you. Do you get angry when a situation, such as the OP referenced, occurs around you?

eyelikeglasses
04-28-2012, 17:57
you made yourself look that way.
Here's why. To keep from having to interact with people like you.

I like to keep my life free of petty, unneeded wannabe problems. So, when faced with jack rabbits at the range, I enjoy a lunch/smoke/Coke&smile etc.

Here endeth the lesson.

countrygun
04-28-2012, 18:18
Some folks need a dose of reality. Go off in a corner and cry if you don't think it's fair that people judge you based on your appearnce or your choice of weapon. Tough. They have probably had negative experiences because of someone similar. The Constitution prevents the Government from descriminating against you but other citizens still have that right including the operators of a gun club or range and if their rules suit them but not you--oh well.

Around here we have nothing, within about 200 miles called a "range" but we have gravel pits and every one is littered with spent, steel cased 7.62 x 39 casings. I went up to a remote lake not long ago and there on the shoreline was a pile of them. It wasn't 30-30, it wasn't .270, it wasn't 45-70 it was casings from one of those "evil assault rifles". I picked them up as best I could because I don't want more folks to have their opinions tainted about my "evil assault rifles" but I understand those who do carry a bad opinion. I exercise my right not to like gun-grabbing liberals whenever I encounter them. This is a free Country and that also means that people are free to set rules on their own property and to like or dislike whomever they want. Sometimes you just have to respect that.

eyelikeglasses
04-28-2012, 19:00
^Word.

surefire21
04-28-2012, 21:19
This big Persian kid in my advanced physics class in high school use to wear the same holey nasty gnarly sweater like 4 out of 5 days a week. Well long story short we became good Frieda and he finally told me. It was his "social filter" anyone who wouldn't talk to him in his socia filter wasn't worth talking to. The man is a genius.

cowboywannabe
04-29-2012, 06:18
eyes, i dont care if you have tattoos and what not, and i like "assault" rifles too, more than deer rifles. it doesnt bother me that somebody else has one too, id like to talk with them about it.....

it seems that like texting, typing on the internet lacks the proper expressions and im not a big smilie user. you took my comment about folks judging you by the way you made yourself look as if i dont like it. in fact, thats just human nature, you only get one chance to make a first impression and all.

youre all tatted up, so, you play rap music loud, so, you have a "black rifle", so,.....dont get mad at folks who stereo type that based on what the majority of those types do or act. if you are not the stereo type than you are the exception, but thats not the norm.

i guess you dont understand about first impressions in person when there is no mistake on what somebody sees and how somebody presents themself. you cant fault people for that.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 11:34
cowboy, you caught me at a grumpy moment and I meant no personal attack. But I stand by my statement of not giving a fig what others think. I chose to modify my appearance because I like how it looks, and as an added bonus, it is a great social filter. I don't flip burgers or work in a tattoo shop. I do shoot at plenty of ranges where opinions are everywhere.

04-29-2012, 11:52
The thing I notice with the young guys/EBR shooters is that they have this "Look at me" sort of attitude. You can see is in some of the posts in some forums where they say that they "want to turn heads at the range". There's nothing wrong with that, but I can see how some people (older shooters) don't like it .*

Disclaimer: I don't shoot at public ranges. I shoot in the desert/mesa.

MadMonkey
04-29-2012, 11:54
It used to be that gun owners were the responsible ones. Now every spoiled punk has an AR and thinks he has a God given right to spray lead wherever he pleases. In the end it will end up hurting all gun owners.

Funny thing about having a free country... means everyone gets to enjoy it.

HAMMERHEAD
04-29-2012, 12:46
Funny thing about having a free country... means everyone gets to enjoy it.
This is the attitude that is causing hardship for my club.

We have a private club with a set of rules in place designed to keep bullets on club property and to keep the cost of maintenance reasonable. The second amendment doesn't give you the right to vandalize club property or send your rifle bullets in an unsafe direction. The club is liable for every bullet that leaves our property.

Free country, right. Maybe we should come to your house, paint graffiti on your siding, break a few windows, then when you complain, we'll just shrug our shoulders and say, 'free country dude, get over it'.

countrygun
04-29-2012, 12:48
cowboy, you caught me at a grumpy moment and I meant no personal attack. But I stand by my statement of not giving a fig what others think. I chose to modify my appearance because I like how it looks, and as an added bonus, it is a great social filter. I don't flip burgers or work in a tattoo shop. I do shoot at plenty of ranges where opinions are everywhere.

Aren't you doing the same thing as the folks you "filter out"?

They might be great people but might be put off, for reasons of their own, by the ink. Is chosing not to deal with people who don't like body art any different, really, than people who don't care for it?

cowboywannabe
04-29-2012, 12:54

They might be great people but might be put off, for reasons of their own, by the ink. Is chosing not to deal with people who don't like body art any different, really, than people who don't care for it?

Skin Illustrations.

MadMonkey
04-29-2012, 12:57
This is the attitude that is causing hardship for my club.

We have a private club with a set of rules in place designed to keep bullets on club property and to keep the cost of maintenance reasonable. The second amendment doesn't give you the right to vandalize club property or send your rifle bullets in an unsafe direction. The club is liable for every bullet that leaves our property.

Free country, right. Maybe we should come to your house, paint graffiti on your siding, break a few windows, then when you complain, we'll just shrug our shoulders and say, 'free country dude, get over it'.

You're also free to kick them out.

ted1
04-29-2012, 13:01

HH

Dang!!! Now that is an assault rifle lmao.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cowboywannabe
04-29-2012, 13:05
i like the ARs enough, but for pin point shooting i like a bolt action rifle and for battle type stuff i like the AKs.

HAMMERHEAD
04-29-2012, 13:11
You're also free to kick them out.
Trouble is we can't man the range 24/7 to find the trouble makers. We have installed a still pic camera at the gate to record license plates and are looking at video surveillance systems for the rifle range.

The excavating and legal fees have raised our dues from $30/year to $50/year, I suppose it will go up again for the video system.

countrygun
04-29-2012, 13:22
Dang!!! Now that is an assault rifle lmao.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I thought it was an "Insult Rifle" :rofl:

GTS197
04-29-2012, 14:25
Generational differences.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 14:26

No I'm not. If you base looks, on your judgement(not credible enough for me to shoot), you are doing it wrong.

You need positive ID, they have to be showing intent to harm, or be shooting at you or yours.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 14:29
The thing I notice with the young guys/EBR shooters is that they have this "Look at me" sort of attitude.
Disclaimer: I don't shoot at public ranges. I shoot in the desert/mesa.

I am not a young guy. This applies to all shooters.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 14:49
No I'm not. If you base looks, on your judgement(not credible enough for me to shoot), you are doing it wrong.

You need positive ID, they have to be showing intent to harm, or be shooting at you or yours.

This does not preclude anyone from using any stereotyoe, to raise their alert level. This is encouraged. Just don't engage me because I look scary(to some).

countrygun
04-29-2012, 14:55

Who Says? Who's rules are those?

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 14:57
American culture is different than others. White MAM don't usually get a warm welcome. Where the cultural differences come into play may be others inclinations towards tattoos being a criminal thing. They give legitimacy to people of a fair skin tone, in some areas. This is all OSINT.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 14:58
Who Says? Who's rules are those?
As of 2009, the US Army. Google ROE.

countrygun
04-29-2012, 15:02
As of 2009, the US Army. Google ROE.

Whoop-Dee-doo

How does that apply in the civillian world?

04-29-2012, 15:05
I am not a young guy. This applies to all shooters.

I wasn't referring to you or anyone else on this thread. If I was, I'd have quoted a post.

And, no, it doesn't apply to "all" shooters. The very reason my friends and I choose not to shoot at public ranges, is because we don't want to be around the "look at me" crowd.

You seem to be taking some comments on this thread personally, why?

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 15:08
Whoop-Dee-doo

How does that apply in the civillian world?
In a defense court, it's the same gold stars you got in grade school.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 15:09
I wasn't referring to you or anyone else on this thread. If I was, I'd have quoted a post.

And, no, it doesn't apply to "all" shooters. The very reason my friends and I choose not to shoot at public ranges, is because we don't want to be around the "look at me" crowd.

You seem to be taking some comments on this thread personally, why?
My bad. I rushed to judgement without reading your post carefully.

04-29-2012, 15:11
My bad. I rushed to judgement without reading your post carefully.

It's all good, no worries.:wavey:

countrygun
04-29-2012, 15:13
In a defense court, it's the same gold stars you got in grade school.

I suppose that makes sense to you, I'm a little unclear on the meaning.

Even the USMC has regulations on tats below the sleeves. In the civillian world we are free to make individual choices and decisions based on what we do or do not like. Private gun clubs are free to as well. You have a prejudice against people who judge you on your appearance, they have a prejudice because of your appearance, same thing.

FireForged
04-29-2012, 16:49
There are always going to be range snobs that resent or have contempt for other people using "their" range. Specifically- people who are running a different system than them. I see it all the time.

just like every range has that guy... you know.. that guy in all tactical "logo" clothing. The one who walks the range getting into everyone business and seems to have some need to convince everyone that he is some kind of expert-covert-special- ninja. Every range has one.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 18:14

Even the USMC has regulations on tats below the sleeves. In the civillian world we are free to make individual choices and decisions based on what we do or do not like. Private gun clubs are free to as well. You have a prejudice against people who judge you on your appearance, they have a prejudice because of your appearance, same thing.
I was never one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I can not answer your question.
I can tell you about my interactions with opinions from ignorant people at the range.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 18:17
You have a prejudice against people who judge you on your appearance, they have a prejudice because of your appearance, same thing.

I never said I judged anyone. You being scared by unknowns does not apply to me.

How many lessons are needed? I suggest "The Art of War".

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 18:32

Country, the argument has moved past that. Most of my tattoos are older than the Corps new rules pertaining to them.:wavey:

countrygun
04-29-2012, 18:46
Not sure how the argument "moves" per say? I seem to recall the OP talking about people at a range setting rules that weren't friendly to "black rifles", or at least something like that. Then someone brought up rap music and tattoos and kind of took it off track.

I think some folks have explained why there are rules unfavorable to those types of guns, and why those who run the ranges have that right.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 21:24
You are right. Please share your wisdom with your children and any other humans you deem fit. You Sir, are an opinion. Just like everyone else that has one. I hope your sins don't apply to your son. Looking tough on the interwebs will not protect your family.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 21:30
You are right. Please share your wisdom with your children and any other humans you deem fit. You Sir, are an opinion. Just like everyone else that has one. I hope your sins don't apply to your son. Looking tough on the interwebs will not protect your family.
This does not constitute a threat, butt sniffers. But if your panties are bunched, PM me.

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 22:31
Are you waiting for smarter GTers to take this?

eyelikeglasses
04-29-2012, 22:40
Don't get butt hurt. Take your licks and protect your family, my opinion is worthless.

cloudbuster
04-30-2012, 07:58
Every time I read any thread about range issues, it makes me glad that I live on a farm and never have to use a range! My schadenfreud is complete!

esh325
04-30-2012, 11:19
It's a generational thing. Nothing rational about it. The gunsmith at my work is just like that. Hates any "assault rifle" type weapons and refuses to work on them.

rv4driver
04-30-2012, 19:57
I'd have to agree that it's all about the rules. If everyone was responsible and considered all other members, there would be no rules, as they would be un-necessary. BUT...I was out at my range yesterday, and even with all the signs everywhere about "not sticking anything into the target-stand pipes other than target-stands", right there, right next to us, this yahoo was sticking crap into the target-stand pipes, to make HIS target stands perfectly vertical. And, even though there were plenty of signs advising to pick up your brass, there was a veritable carpet of spent brass of every imaginable caliber. Really? Your time is THAT valuable? You can't take a couple of seconds to pick up your brass? And NOW you want to pi$$ and moan about your rights as a member? You want less onerous rules? Clean up your act, and the more lenient rules will follow.
Having said that...EBR's rock, everyone knows that! BTW, so do old lever actions, and...and...and...(and it's not a generational thing, they all rock.)

Aceman
04-30-2012, 20:07
At the end of the day, youth and foolishness tend to go together. Oh yeah - lack of experience and skill too. Usually, but not always.

The jackwad most likely to raining brass all over me in the stall is going to be a) young b) shooting an AR or Glock, and c) Not hitting a damm thing.

*I did this once to three wahoos shooting a glock and behing PITA's. I just mag dumped. I was in the end stall, the steel hit wall and was bouncing back across their lane like hail. I shot so fast they thought it a full auto weapon. And every shot hit closer to center than any of theirs. Then my wife proceeded to own them making tiny holes in the red.

That said - performance talks, BS walks. If you think you can outshoot some shaky handed blind old geezer slow fire, and smoke in timed shooting, asking the old buzzard putting the evil eye on you to put up or shut up.

Then he has to either outshoot you, or you get to run smack on him forever:

"Hey grandma, nice piece there. Did you shoot that in the Revolution?"

"I bet when those three thugs jump you grandapa, at least one will stay still while you take a bead on him"

Or even better, invite him to an active shooting course...I love all sorts of shooting. No reason to hate!

The only thing I cop a 'tude about is safety.

arclight610
04-30-2012, 20:21
At the end of the day, youth and foolishness tend to go together. Oh yeah - lack of experience and skill too. Usually, but not always.

The jackwad most likely to raining brass all over me in the stall is going to be a) young b) shooting an AR or Glock, and c) Not hitting a damm thing.

*I did this once to three wahoos shooting a glock and behing PITA's. I just mag dumped. I was in the end stall, the steel hit wall and was bouncing back across their lane like hail. I shot so fast they thought it a full auto weapon. And every shot hit closer to center than any of theirs. Then my wife proceeded to own them making tiny holes in the red.

That said - performance talks, BS walks. If you think you can outshoot some shaky handed blind old geezer slow fire, and smoke in timed shooting, asking the old buzzard putting the evil eye on you to put up or shut up.

Then he has to either outshoot you, or you get to run smack on him forever:

"Hey grandma, nice piece there. Did you shoot that in the Revolution?"

"I bet when those three thugs jump you grandapa, at least one will stay still while you take a bead on him"

Or even better, invite him to an active shooting course...I love all sorts of shooting. No reason to hate!

The only thing I cop a 'tude about is safety.

You, sir, need to go into comedy. :rofl:

Spiffums
05-01-2012, 10:31
I bet they don't look down at you when you pay the same dues they do or they need to raise funds for something for the range.

eyelikeglasses
05-01-2012, 21:58
Hey Gters in this thread. I apologize for this post, and the ones that followed it. I was having a bad night, y'all didn't deserve that. I really like this site and respect hearing others points of view.:embarassed:

PlasticGuy
05-02-2012, 07:48
The last range I joined was extremely conventient. It was close enough to home, had several target stands from 15-200 yards, and gave all members the combo to the gate so you can come and go as you please. However, I quit.

I am in nuclear security, and occasionally shoot in an IPSC or IDPA event. I need to practice accordingly, and am a trained professional who is always safe and courteous. The vast majority of the members there are downright hostile toward anyone doing tactical shooting. It was so uncomfortable trying to practice my qualifications for work that I stopped going. I'm not the only one. They cost themselves a lot of money due to their policies and culture being 50 years out of date.

eyelikeglasses
05-02-2012, 14:22
The last range I joined was extremely conventient. It was close enough to home, had several target stands from 15-200 yards, and gave all members the combo to the gate so you can come and go as you please. However, I quit.

I am in nuclear security, and occasionally shoot in an IPSC or IDPA event. I need to practice accordingly, and am a trained professional who is always safe and courteous. The vast majority of the members there are downright hostile toward anyone doing tactical shooting. It was so uncomfortable trying to practice my qualifications for work that I stopped going. I'm not the only one. They cost themselves a lot of money due to their policies and culture being 50 years out of date.
Our local LEOs(and us civies) have problems like that at a local private range. No holster work, not a great way to train.