Got the Mech Tech [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got the Mech Tech

blackgun556
04-27-2012, 12:49
I got my 10mm Mech Tech CCU last week. It seems to be a very sound unit. I took it to the range and it shot great. took about 4 shots to dial in the eotech.
It took my 180gr golden saber out of 5.2 barrel from 1250fps to 1420fps out of the 16.25fps. It is a blast to shoot. it even feed my my converted Asian Military 45acp mags with no problems. Now the only problem it the amount of ammo it goes threw. :wow:

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l589/BlackGun556/10mmCarbine1.jpghttp://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l589/BlackGun556/10mmCarbine2.jpg

_The_Shadow
04-27-2012, 13:12
Very nice! Be careful with the para chord as it could intefere with mag seating...:shocked:

I don't really like to give up the pistol while using the frame for the carbine...:dunno:

Mongosafari
04-27-2012, 13:31
Congrats. Mech Tech CCU's are great. I have the Glock 40 S&W because of ammo availability (issue).
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr219/MongoSafari/749c26f9.jpg

Mine now wears flip up AR front and rear sights in addition to the Vortex Strikefire.
I liked how simple it was to dissassemble and clean the unit.

I like the 550 cord wraps you tied on your.

Angry Fist
04-27-2012, 17:28
Cool setup. I like the paracord wrapped mags. :cool:

Would you mind telling us about the mags and how you got them to work?

Yondering
04-27-2012, 19:42
These MechTech units are great. I've got one of the old ones in 45 for a 1911 frame; it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. Really easy to rapid fire and stay on target. Of course the first thing I did to mine was get rid of the silly muzzle decoration (they don't even bother to call it a brake anymore). I'm thinking of getting another in 10mm for the G20 frame.

On a side note, I recently picked up a Keltec Sub2000 in .40 for backpack carry, because it folds up, and should give about the same ballistics as a 10mm pistol. It's about the same price as the MechTech (mostly due to demand) but nowhere near as nice to shoot, or as accurate.

gofastman
04-27-2012, 20:20
wouldn't 1420fps kersplode a 180gr Golden Sabre?

Ethereal Killer
04-27-2012, 22:38
Cool setup. I like the paracord wrapped mags. :cool:

Would you mind telling us about the mags and how you got them to work?

yes, please do tell us the method you used to make these asian military mags work. we have a thread about that very subject with no advice yet.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405249

blackgun556
04-27-2012, 22:47

1420fps was the average, the high was 1447fps and they were in grouping in a 4" group at 40 yards so I say no

Here is the link for the magazines.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384302

Thanks for the complements I can't wait to get out tomorrow and try to get gofer or a rabbit. :supergrin:

gofastman
04-28-2012, 12:47
1420fps was the average, the high was 1447fps and they were in grouping in a 4" group at 40 yards so I say no

I ment from a terminal balistics standpoint.
I thought the consensus was the "standard" 180gr GS is a fairly wimpy bullet when moved at even a really hot .40 velocity, lets say above 1150FPS

PsTaN
04-28-2012, 18:58
Nice .... can it be used without a rear stock? How's the accuracy?

PsTaN

bac1023
04-28-2012, 20:18
Congrats! :cool:

Yondering
04-28-2012, 20:54

PsTaN

Yes, they can be used without the stock. That is the "base model" that they sell, the stock is extra, and there are several choices.

I can't speak for the 10mm unit, but my 45 MechTech makes one ragged hole at 25 yards with the right ammo. The barrel did need some break-in time though, as the rifling was pretty sharp and didn't like lead bullets at first.

The length and balance of these make them very fast handling too.

I think I'm talking myself into a 10mm version.

blackgun556
04-28-2012, 21:54
I only got about 100rd threw it but it seems to be pretty accurate.
I found some of the Golden Sabre and they did retain there jackets. I had to dig them out of the dirt so they were pretty mangled. for the money this gun is the best bang for the buck. its a blast.

PsTaN
04-29-2012, 08:07
Yes, they can be used without the stock. That is the "base model" that they sell, the stock is extra, and there are several choices.

I can't speak for the 10mm unit, but my 45 MechTech makes one ragged hole at 25 yards with the right ammo. The barrel did need some break-in time though, as the rifling was pretty sharp and didn't like lead bullets at first.

The length and balance of these make them very fast handling too.

I think I'm talking myself into a 10mm version.

Interesting .... would make a nice 10mm long-barrel hunting pistol.

PsTaN

blackgun556
04-29-2012, 08:55

PsTaN

you can order it in any configuration you would like. They even have a telestock.
it only takes a min. and i can unscrew my stock and your ready to go.
check it out!
http://www.mechtechsys.com/accessories.php#a2

Yondering
04-29-2012, 16:55

PsTaN

Pretty heavy for that though, and not balanced right to use a normal handgun grip style. They are pretty front heavy for a "pistol" configuration, but balance well with a buttstock, when you hold it like a rifle.

If you are limited by hunting restrictions to using 10mm in a pistol but not a rifle, this could work well though. I'd want an extension out the back in place of the stock, for a cheek weld to help line up the sights, like shooting a pistol AR with a buffer tube.

Mongosafari
04-30-2012, 07:51
I must agree, it would be an aquward pistol but makes a very nice pictol caliber carbine. The weight may surprise you a bit- it is built SOLID and rugged.

I was considering using it from a tree stand on a deer but my 44 Mag lever gun has more punch and my old woods gun a 35 Rem lever gun has evem more energy.

If I was king, I would have ONE custom made in 44 Auto-Magnum.

nickE10mm
04-30-2012, 08:26

You owe me a new keyboard

Oh, and to the OP.... I MUST own one of these. Next on the list? Maybe so.

ModGlock17
06-19-2012, 05:03

On a side note, I recently picked up a Keltec Sub2000 in .40 for backpack carry, because it folds up, and should give about the same ballistics as a 10mm pistol. It's about the same price as the MechTech (mostly due to demand) but nowhere near as nice to shoot, or as accurate.

I've got a Sub-2000, too. Its folding capability allows it to go inside a computer softcase. About 2-3" groups at 25 yrds for 9mm ammo.

The MechTech is on my horizon. I just wish the 10mm bullet profile is better geared for a longer and accurate flight than a handgun range.

Yondering
06-19-2012, 20:11
I've got a Sub-2000, too. Its folding capability allows it to go inside a computer softcase. About 2-3" groups at 25 yrds for 9mm ammo.

The MechTech is on my horizon. I just wish the 10mm bullet profile is better geared for a longer and accurate flight than a handgun range.

Now that I've shot my Sub2000 more, I can say the MechTech is definitely more accurate. As a rough estimate, I'd say my MechTech has about the same accuracy at 75 yards as my Sub2000 does at 25 yards. There is a noticeable difference in weight too; the MechTech is much heavier and solid feeling.

Also of possible interest - the Sub2000 with it's 16" barrel in .40 S&W produces almost identical ballistics to my 6.6" 10mm G20 longslide. My 160gr cast hollow points, with 40 S&W book loads (9.0gr Power Pistol, book max is 9.2) do 1650 fps in the little Keltec, and 1550 fps with a 155gr JHP and the same load. I'd like to see what could be done with comparable 10mm loads in the MechTech.

nickE10mm
06-20-2012, 06:01
Is the OP's pictured stock the "M4" stock?

blackgun556
06-20-2012, 18:46
Now that I've shot my Sub2000 more, I can say the MechTech is definitely more accurate. As a rough estimate, I'd say my MechTech has about the same accuracy at 75 yards as my Sub2000 does at 25 yards. There is a noticeable difference in weight too; the MechTech is much heavier and solid feeling.

Also of possible interest - the Sub2000 with it's 16" barrel in .40 S&W produces almost identical ballistics to my 6.6" 10mm G20 longslide. My 160gr cast hollow points, with 40 S&W book loads (9.0gr Power Pistol, book max is 9.2) do 1650 fps in the little Keltec, and 1550 fps with a 155gr JHP and the same load. I'd like to see what could be done with comparable 10mm loads in the MechTech.

I was going out to the range I could take it out and see what I come up with. I looked threw my ammo stash and all I have is 1 box 155gr xtp but there loaded at 9.6 of power pistol. (10gr is max in my in my Hornady ) well that help any?

blackgun556
06-20-2012, 18:52
Is the OP's pictured stock the "M4" stock?
Its not the one from mechtech but its close. I had it laying around so I just got the m4 adapter and used it.

Yondering
06-20-2012, 19:52
I was going out to the range I could take it out and see what I come up with. I looked threw my ammo stash and all I have is 1 box 155gr xtp but there loaded at 9.6 of power pistol. (10gr is max in my in my Hornady ) well that help any?

Sure, post up. That's a relatively light load (.6gr more powder in a bigger case volume), but I'd like to know.

ModGlock17
06-21-2012, 05:13

It's true that the Sub2000 has the feel of a toy gun. I'd taken the thing completely apart and polished trigger mechanism, so mine still has the long pre-travel while very buttery soft. That helps tighten grouping at 25 yards. However, about the only thing that has any weight to it, is the barrel piece. As a system, it is tough to steady a toy gun like firearm. I'd expect the .40 Sub2000 to be heavier than my 9mm. My 9mm Sub2000's real advantages are its lightness, fold-ability, and Walmart ammo availability.

Mechtech, in contrast, seems to have more substance to handle a lot more powder in the 10mm. I'd expect the 10mm MechTech to be a heavier gun than other caliber MechTech conversions. I'd also expect that you can "test fire" the .40 in the 10mm conversion, just for a few rounds.

My impression of MechTech advantages are its trigger would still be my G20 trigger, and my G20 ammo... With a lot more guidance down range from a hefty system. It would be the best long range 10mm conversion system at $500 ballpark, or long range 10mm system at $1000 with a handgun option, lot better than an AK-47 size wise to carry.

Cwlongshot
09-24-2012, 12:33
This will be my next toy purchase!!!

Been watching all I can find in uTube! I'm sold! Now to work out the extras, buy a couple four hi cap mags and find a dedicated lower as I want a carbine all the time + my G20!!!!

Momma and I just bought new computers for each of us, so this will have to wait till next spring or so, but it's gonna happen!!!!! ;)
CW

blackgun556
09-24-2012, 19:03
you well be happy with!!

RYT 2BER
09-24-2012, 22:02
I've always found the mt to be very intriguing!

TAKtical
09-25-2012, 02:57
How is the weight? Relatively light? Ive heard that these vibrate a lot and make a "twang" sound when the bolt cycles. Is that true? Im trying to decide whether to get one of these or sbr one of my glocks for use with a hera arms kit.

drsjr1969
09-26-2012, 09:37
watch my mech tech youtube videos and tell me if you hear this "twang".

I'm about ready to make another one on how much the bullet drops between 100 -200 yards. looking to take it with me to Wisconsin in Nov. for deer season.

edhead35
09-26-2012, 11:23
Has anyone used a G21 lower for a 10mm mechtech upper? Does it work?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

dm1906
09-26-2012, 12:16
Yeah, they "twang". My son has one for his G22/.40, and it twangs. Twangs like a Daisy Red Rider. He has 1000 rounds through it, and if that's the "worse" it gets, let'er twang!

So far, it eats anything its fed. Dead-nuts accurate out to 150 yds. with factory power rounds. The red/green dot sight they sell is very effective.

And the weight.... They're heavy out front. Heavier than other "black rifles". No problem though, punching out 30 rds at a time. Don't even notice the weight. You can slim it down some, if you pass on all the accessories hanging on the front (rails, light, etc.).

dm1906
09-26-2012, 12:19
Has anyone used a G21 lower for a 10mm mechtech upper? Does it work?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

They (Mechtech) say it will work, and it should. G20 and G21 frames are identical. The same is also true for other "like" frame platforms. The website lists acceptable compatibilities.

MichiGun Hunter
09-26-2012, 14:02
There is a way to keep it "pistol" fellas. At least here in Michigan. UTG makes a folding stock adaptor. i think it is called the model 47 side folding adaptor. It was $20 shipped to my door. With this in use, the Mech Tech is under 30" in total length. It can also still be fired from the folded position. And barrel is 16". By Michigan law, im gonna wack and stack the deer with my registered Glock 20!!!!

dm1906: Also i am curious as to what factory ammo you are using that is "dead nuts" out to 150 yards? I myself handload some very hot 180gr XTPs. It is dead nuts out to 100 for me all day long. At 150 it still throws one hell of a group. But it is low by about 6-7 inches. I have found the 10mm, as most pistol ammo does, drops pretty fast after 100 yards. I believe thats why people say pistol caliber carbines are good 100 yard guns. With correct hold over i have become very good out to 150.

drsjr1969: I would be interested to see if your results from 150-200 yards are the same as mine. Please report.

Nate

nickE10mm
09-26-2012, 14:22
I'm always concerned about the amount of excess slide-rail wear the upper would impart on my G20 frame.... and since I've not seen these in person, I don't really know how to answer my own question: does putting on- and taking off the upper take a lot of force? Is it a very tight fit? Do you think putting it on and taking it off could induce more than a normal amount of wear in these places? I'd hate to shoot this upper a lot and then change back to my stock G20 slide and find that its fit is even sloppier...

Anyone?

MichiGun Hunter
09-26-2012, 16:31
I'm always concerned about the amount of excess slide-rail wear the upper would impart on my G20 frame.... and since I've not seen these in person, I don't really know how to answer my own question: does putting on- and taking off the upper take a lot of force?

Not at all. With my slide already off of my G20 frame it takes me all of 3 seconds to do.

Is it a very tight fit?

Nice and tight fit they way you would like it! In fact it is as good of fit as my Colt AR 15 upper to lower. No rattle or movement from the 10 or so different ones i have handled.

Do you think putting it on and taking it off could induce more than a normal amount of wear in these places? I'd hate to shoot this upper a lot and then change back to my stock G20 slide and find that its fit is even sloppier...

NOPE. I and many others i know personally have put thousands of rounds through our Mech Techs. And pretty potent ones at that! Still goes on and comes off as easy as it did the day it was brand new. Fit hasnt changed a bit after going back to the G20 slide. In fact the Mech Tech fit to frame is better than the Glock slide fit to frame.

Anyone?

In all honesty i have probably put as many rounds through my Mech Tech as anyone out there. Yes, that is a LOT! I actually could consider myself obsessed with it at times. When it comes to a 10mm Carbine, the Mech Tech is VERY hard to beat!!

MichiGun Hunter
09-26-2012, 16:41
Almost forgot.... And i only speak of this for the Glock model Mech Techs, as i have never handled the 1911 version.

But... with the glock models, there is no movement on the rails of the frame. It actually is held on by the rails and locked into place much like your slide, except the movement is all in the upper part of the Mech Tech itself. Imagine the upper of an AR-15 platform. Very similar. I believe this should help you to answer your question. If not sorry for the confusion. I tried... :supergrin:

ModGlock17
09-26-2012, 17:37
Nick, You and me, Bud. Tempted...

I called and they said they have been quite busy.

nickE10mm
09-26-2012, 19:19
Thanks for the response, MichiGun and yes, Mod, yes..... :drool:

dm1906
09-26-2012, 23:43
I'm always concerned about the amount of excess slide-rail wear the upper would impart on my G20 frame.... and since I've not seen these in person, I don't really know how to answer my own question: does putting on- and taking off the upper take a lot of force? Is it a very tight fit? Do you think putting it on and taking it off could induce more than a normal amount of wear in these places? I'd hate to shoot this upper a lot and then change back to my stock G20 slide and find that its fit is even sloppier...

Anyone?

No slide wear. As said above, once locked in, all the firing action is in the upper. The lock is against a hard rubber block, so it stays tight once locked. The Glock frame is only a feeder, handle and trigger. The "Glock Block" (fits over the locking block) is the ramp that feeds rounds to the chamber from the mag.

My son's G22 was a police academy whore for years. Probably in the neighborhood of 30K+ rounds through it (just a guess, as it's probably a lot more than that). It's all original, slide is still tight, and it shoots as straight as any.

Since he got his, the 10mm version made it to my short list....

dm1906
09-27-2012, 00:06
There is a way to keep it "pistol" fellas. At least here in Michigan. UTG makes a folding stock adaptor. i think it is called the model 47 side folding adaptor. It was $20 shipped to my door. With this in use, the Mech Tech is under 30" in total length. It can also still be fired from the folded position. And barrel is 16". By Michigan law, im gonna wack and stack the deer with my registered Glock 20!!!!

dm1906: Also i am curious as to what factory ammo you are using that is "dead nuts" out to 150 yards? I myself handload some very hot 180gr XTPs. It is dead nuts out to 100 for me all day long. At 150 it still throws one hell of a group. But it is low by about 6-7 inches. I have found the 10mm, as most pistol ammo does, drops pretty fast after 100 yards. I believe thats why people say pistol caliber carbines are good 100 yard guns. With correct hold over i have become very good out to 150.

drsjr1969: I would be interested to see if your results from 150-200 yards are the same as mine. Please report.

Nate

Accurate, as in, repeatable, consistent accuracy. It drops, of course. Curious, we found, is the POA is very close at 50' (originally sighted) and 150 yds. It would likely be very different if sighted at 50-100 yds. I don't have anything previous to base it on, so we're still building data. I'll have to work the trajectory calculator to confirm, but it's on, none the less. All the distant shooting was with the dot sight, so the peeps may open up a bit. I may have to try a scope, just for S&G's. The weapon shoots straighter than the shooters, for sure. Ammo is handloaded various bullets, loaded to factory velocities. Coming up will be some dedicated carbine rounds. Slower powders that don't normally work ideally with short barrels.

nickE10mm
09-27-2012, 09:06
No slide wear. As said above, once locked in, all the firing action is in the upper. The lock is against a hard rubber block, so it stays tight once locked. The Glock frame is only a feeder, handle and trigger. The "Glock Block" (fits over the locking block) is the ramp that feeds rounds to the chamber from the mag.

My son's G22 was a police academy whore for years. Probably in the neighborhood of 30K+ rounds through it (just a guess, as it's probably a lot more than that). It's all original, slide is still tight, and it shoots as straight as any.

Since he got his, the 10mm version made it to my short list....

Also quite EXCELLENTLY worded information on the mating dynamics. Thank you, dm...

Yes, its definitely on my short list... MMM man, I'd love a setup like the one on the first page.

nickE10mm
09-27-2012, 09:07
Accurate, as in, repeatable, consistent accuracy. It drops, of course. Curious, we found, is the POA is very close at 50' (originally sighted) and 150 yds. It would likely be very different if sighted at 50-100 yds. I don't have anything previous to base it on, so we're still building data. I'll have to work the trajectory calculator to confirm, but it's on, none the less. All the distant shooting was with the dot sight, so the peeps may open up a bit. I may have to try a scope, just for S&G's. The weapon shoots straighter than the shooters, for sure. Ammo is handloaded various bullets, loaded to factory velocities. Coming up will be some dedicated carbine rounds. Slower powders that don't normally work ideally with short barrels.

Sounds right. I have a good, easy to use tool to run that trajectory if you don't have one... But I suspect you do.

I wonder how much extra velocity handloading can get the 10mm up to...

dm1906
09-27-2012, 13:37
Sounds right. I have a good, easy to use tool to run that trajectory if you don't have one... But I suspect you do.

I do. I don't have a lot of interest in the .40, and really don't want to start another project. In the meanwhile, the damn thing is like peanuts! Just can't stop shooting it!

I wonder how much extra velocity handloading can get the 10mm up to...

THAT is on the agenda. There are limitations to blow-back action, but not something I can't work with.

nickE10mm
09-27-2012, 13:43
THAT is on the agenda. There are limitations to blow-back action, but not something I can't work with.

But would the limitations to blowback (in a carbine) be any more serious than the limitations created by, say, a stock G20 barrel?

Probably not. :-) which means you should be able to wring more velocity out of the setup...

dm1906
09-27-2012, 14:03
But would the limitations to blowback (in a carbine) be any more serious than the limitations created by, say, a stock G20 barrel?

Probably not. :-) which means you should be able to wring more velocity out of the setup...

Actually, a lot. I've been down this road before with other cartridges. I'm looking forward to it, but it'll be a couple months before getting started.

nickE10mm
09-27-2012, 15:14
Actually, a lot. I've been down this road before with other cartridges. I'm looking forward to it, but it'll be a couple months before getting started.

Well, the Glock / 1911 / BHP designs are not blowback.. .and I get that... BUT ... I'd think that you should be able to exceed 6" barreled loadings' velocities quite easily, and maybe even by a large margin.

Time will tell!

dm1906
09-27-2012, 15:36
Well, the Glock / 1911 / BHP designs are not blowback.. .and I get that... BUT ... I'd think that you should be able to exceed 6" barreled loadings' velocities quite easily, and maybe even by a large margin.

Time will tell!

Without a doubt, by a large margin. The 16" .40 is already faster than 10mm in a 5.2". Both loaded to moderate (factory) levels. So far, the comparisons have been basic and unscientific. We'll start gathering some real data, once he gets about 1000 rounds through. It should be about as broken in as it can be, by then. Any minute, now....

Cwlongshot
09-27-2012, 16:50
What are the options for a dedicated frame.. (lower)

I like the idea of switching but may just want a dedicated carbine AND my G20...

Rather not buy a complete gun and have a barrel and slide hanging around... Altho O have been wanting a G21... ;)

CW

Yondering
09-27-2012, 20:34

I can tell you at least that it will push a 180gr cast bullet over 1500 fps, probably 1600+ with the right load. That's just based on what I've been able to do with a blowback .40 in a 16" barrel.

dm1906
09-27-2012, 21:02
What are the options for a dedicated frame.. (lower)

I like the idea of switching but may just want a dedicated carbine AND my G20...

Rather not buy a complete gun and have a barrel and slide hanging around... Altho O have been wanting a G21... ;)

CW

You can buy frames (including internals), and they are a lot less than compete pistols.

However, if you don't have a G21, and want one, buying a complete G21 would be the way to go. As far as "dedicated carbine" goes, they're so easy to switch (no more difficult than a field strip), you could have the best of both worlds.

dm1906
09-27-2012, 21:15
I can tell you at least that it will push a 180gr cast bullet over 1500 fps, probably 1600+ with the right load. That's just based on what I've been able to do with a blowback .40 in a 16" barrel.

I don't have the actual velocities yet (will on Sunday), but everything indicates you are about right on with what I'm seeing (hearing). A gong report at 150 yds is noticeably faster with the .40 carbine, than a factory power 10mm round from the G20 with a 5.2" barrel. Also 180 gr. cast for both.

nickE10mm
09-28-2012, 09:45
MichiGun, dm and modglock,

I didn't even realize we were talking about a .40SW MechTech... lol... but the same still applies I guess.

ModGlock17
09-28-2012, 12:06

I didn't even realize we were talking about a .40SW MechTech... lol... but the same still applies I guess.

Well, I know they're talking about .40 but I'm talking about MechTech in general and 10mm.

See, with the .40, they're doing 1,600fps. With the lame 10mm dose, we'd be seeing the neighborhood of that speed.

My reluctance to go Mechtech thus far, is the hot 10mm rounds: if it goes 1,500fps (135gr HOT) with a 6" barrel,

1. would it burst the MechTech burst ???????

2. would I need to reload "lame" 10mm just for the MechTech??? Then we're not exactly talking about the same ammo for my G20 and a future MechTech.

3. Look at it another way, I am looking for Underwood to say something about NOT using their ammo in a MechTech.

4. I go cheap, with plated bullets. They have a max speed before they tumble, roughly 1,200fps. You can see the picture... Forget accuracy! So we are really talking about a different ammo and reloading for a 10mm MechTech.

Am I making sense ?

With the .40 ammo, it is a good route!

Cwlongshot
09-28-2012, 12:25
I haven't read anything about it not handling all 10mm loadings. Mine will likely never see a factory load!

The 21 is something I would like and it's also something I would not use allot. Which is biggest reason I don't have one. ;)

I will need to send some emails to mech tech and see what the consensus is about the barrels. I hope they are atleast as supported as a stick GLOCK is. Hoping it has better support like my KKM or LW barrels do.

Of coarse you don't "need" these top performing loads cause your gonna get at least a couple hundred additional FPS simply from a longer 16" barrel

BUT a bit more or wanting all you can get is American as apple pie and leamonade and Sunday dinner....

Also been reading allot about the funny/funky noise upon firing. I'm assuming most of you have shot a AR rifle... The spring in the butt doesn't sound funny to you??? Along these lines it's my guess the butt you choose will have everything to do with this noise.
I'm going to run a solid but with a foam top. Do not know the actual name.

Another question I've been wanting to know. I see these in AR fore des and like the look funtionality. It looks like a "v" with the open top mounted to the tube allowing you to hook this on something. Or and at the same time pull the rifle into your shoulder. What is this and where can I get it? I'll try to find a pic if no one can figure out what I am describing.

CW

ModGlock17
09-28-2012, 12:37
Also been reading allot about the funny/funky noise upon firing. I'm assuming most of you have shot a AR rifle... The spring in the butt doesn't sound funny to you??? Along these lines it's my guess the butt you choose will have everything to do with this noise.
I'm going to run a solid but with a foam top. Do not know the actual name.

CW

CW,

I thought the guy from MTech recommend dropping bathtub silicon on the recoil spring to keep it from zinging.

Cwlongshot
09-28-2012, 14:17
Thanks man I had not herd that..

OK I did some searhing and the forend piece I like is this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/557967.jpg

The butts I am thinking of is this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/aceskeleton.jpg

BUT I just saw and like this one too. This one will allow it to colapse too...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/149181.jpg

CW

ModGlock17
09-28-2012, 15:36
Thanks man I had not herd that..

CW

Yep. Basically, the spring acts like a tuning fork. So you damp it out by putting a chunk of bathtub silicone on it.

Here's another example of a huge tuning fork that didn't turn out well.

Tacoma Bridge - YouTube

nickE10mm
09-28-2012, 16:27
Lol Mod I know exactly what you mean regarding your list a few posts back.

And LOL about the bridge video. I remember watching that in physics in high school ... Vibration and oscillation lesson. :-)

CW - yes! Ask MT about the 10mm / blowback issue....

Yondering
09-28-2012, 18:35

I just brought up the .40 as an example, wasn't trying to change the subject. Just pointing out what the 10mm Mechtech should do, based on my experience with .40.

dixietoo
09-28-2012, 20:11
I am waiting on my G20 to get here. Soon I want to get the MT for it. Do you think an M4 stock with a cheek riser would be good? And that fore end, better than one that is perpendicular?

blackgun556
09-28-2012, 20:36
here is a pic of the chamber support in the mthttp://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l589/BlackGun556/001.jpg. I have a lw and a storm lake barrel and the support looks just as good. I have loaded pretty hot not to the full and have never had any bulges in new cases

MichiGun Hunter
09-28-2012, 20:46

I was NEVER referring to the Mech Tech in .40sw, other than when i said i got the wife one for her glock. If you hear anything about the Mech Tech from me it WILL BE in 10mm! I have no worries of hot loaded 10mm rounds in mine. After many many many rounds through mine it is perfectly fine. If you read your manual or even call Mech Tech Systems they will advise you to run the warmer ammo.

1600 fps with a 180gr XTP using Longshot is not hard to get with the 10mm Mech Tech. I know because this is what i shoot. Although i would be very surprised if one could do that with a .40sw using a 180gr bullet. I can tell you that i will never try that using a 40sw. The .40sw in no way can SAFELY equal the 10mm in ANY firearm. Like saying a .38 special can equal a .357 mag. :rofl: Thats my story and im sticking to it!!!

JMag
09-28-2012, 20:48

PsTaN

Probably gets an "A"...

:wavey:

dm1906
09-28-2012, 23:23
I was NEVER referring to the Mech Tech in .40sw, other than when i said i got the wife one for her glock. If you hear anything about the Mech Tech from me it WILL BE in 10mm! I have no worries of hot loaded 10mm rounds in mine. After many many many rounds through mine it is perfectly fine. If you read your manual or even call Mech Tech Systems they will advise you to run the warmer ammo.

1600 fps with a 180gr XTP using Longshot is not hard to get with the 10mm Mech Tech. I know because this is what i shoot. Although i would be very surprised if one could do that with a .40sw using a 180gr bullet. I can tell you that i will never try that using a 40sw. The .40sw in no way can SAFELY equal the 10mm in ANY firearm. Like saying a .38 special can equal a .357 mag. :rofl: Thats my story and im sticking to it!!!

No one suggested matching a .40 to 10mm. My comment was regarding a comparison of the MT .40 and a 10mm pistol, at that time, while shooting both side by side. Nothing more.

My .38 Spl is way more powerful than your .357 Mag. :tongueout:

MichiGun Hunter
09-29-2012, 01:07
No one suggested matching a .40 to 10mm. My comment was regarding a comparison of the MT .40 and a 10mm pistol, at that time, while shooting both side by side. Nothing more.

My .38 Spl is way more powerful than your .357 Mag. :tongueout:

My post was in no way aimed at you dm1906 or anything you wrote. In fact i read your comparison of the .40 MT & 10mm pistol clear as could be. But, I did read in this topic where someone had posted 1500, maybe 1600+ using a 180gr bullet from there experiences using a .40 with a 16" barrel. Maybe i read that out of context. You are right, there is no comparison between the two. 10mm always wins!!!!

Would love to hear about this .38 spl you have that is way more powerful than a .357 mag though. :wow: Thats something i have never seen or heard of before.

Cwlongshot
09-29-2012, 07:53
here is a pic of the chamber support in the mthttp://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l589/BlackGun556/001.jpg. I have a lw and a storm lake barrel and the support looks just as good. I have loaded pretty hot not to the full and have never had any bulges in new cases

THANK YOU for the pic BG!!!

CW

nickE10mm
09-29-2012, 08:12
Yes, thank you for the pic, BG! A little closer would be even better... :tongueout:

And no, a .40SW will never safely equal a 10mm with full loadings... ever...

And yes, I would like a MechTech unit for my G20sf ... badly. :-/

ModGlock17
09-29-2012, 11:11
[QUOTE=MichiGun Hunter;19466259]
I have no worries of hot loaded 10mm rounds in mine. After many many many rounds through mine it is perfectly fine. If you read your manual or even call Mech Tech Systems they will advise you to run the warmer ammo.

1600 fps with a 180gr XTP using Longshot is not hard to get with the 10mm Mech Tech. I know because this is what i shoot.

QUOTE]

Thanks. That's good info!

Ahh. Temptations!

dm1906
09-29-2012, 12:41
Well, I know they're talking about .40 but I'm talking about MechTech in general and 10mm.

See, with the .40, they're doing 1,600fps. With the lame 10mm dose, we'd be seeing the neighborhood of that speed.

My reluctance to go Mechtech thus far, is the hot 10mm rounds: if it goes 1,500fps (135gr HOT) with a 6" barrel,

1. would it burst the MechTech burst ???????

2. would I need to reload "lame" 10mm just for the MechTech??? Then we're not exactly talking about the same ammo for my G20 and a future MechTech.

3. Look at it another way, I am looking for Underwood to say something about NOT using their ammo in a MechTech.

4. I go cheap, with plated bullets. They have a max speed before they tumble, roughly 1,200fps. You can see the picture... Forget accuracy! So we are really talking about a different ammo and reloading for a 10mm MechTech.

Am I making sense ?

With the .40 ammo, it is a good route!

The mass of the chamber and bolt appears to be quite capable of handling any (otherwise) safe load. Chamber support appears to be as good as any aftermarket barrel.

"Bursting" the Mech Tech isn't the concern. Bursting the case is. "Blow back" action is never "locked" into battery. Only spring tension holds the bolt/breach to the chamber. Spring weight/rate and bolt mass determines the extraction event and bolt velocity. If the powder is too slow for the conditions, pressure will still be rising during extraction, which can allow the case to be unsupported. This is bad. The spring weight/rate can be increased to compensate for heavier/slower loads, but it may prevent lighter loads from cycling properly. It's probably no big deal with the .40, as a 10mm spring can be substituted. The problem with the 10mm, if it becomes an issue, is it's already the heaviest of the options. A custom spring may be the solution. Perhaps a spring shim, or adding bolt mass, if the mechanics allow that. I dunno, it may be a non-issue. Just thinking ahead, based on past experience. I do know what 9mm +P does to a Sten, and it ain't pretty. .380 will balloon cases if the powder is too slow, even at very modest pressures.

I wouldn't consider the "common" plated bullet options (Berry's, Ranier, Frontier). I can vaporize these at will. Perhaps one of the "heavy plated" options, like Hornady TMJ. Berry's off the shelf .40 bullets are a no-go, even at modest 10mm loading. Their .41M bullets do fine at very high velocities. A resized Berry's .41M bullet does very well in the 10mm, and as fast as I can push them with .38-40 (scary fast), but way too long for use in a .40 S&W.

Any Cal.
09-29-2012, 16:16
So is the recoil considerably heavier than expected, due to the mass of the bolt? Some of the 9mm carbines (Uzi, Ruger) are really slow even with light loads due to the time the bolt spends riding back and forth. Is the Mech-Tech similar, due to the straight blow-back action?

I know that even locked breech stuff recoils w/ pistol calibers, but it doesn't seem to move around so long. Any thoughts from somebody who has experience with any of these?

Yondering
09-30-2012, 14:13
But, I did read in this topic where someone had posted 1500, maybe 1600+ using a 180gr bullet from there experiences using a .40 with a 16" barrel. Maybe i read that out of context. You are right, there is no comparison between the two. 10mm always wins!!!!

I think you just misunderstood my post. It was intended more like "If the .40 can do this, then the 10mm can do that". I've pushed a 180gr cast bullet to 1500fps out of a .40 S&W blowback carbine (not Mechtech), although that load was a bit too hot. Based on that, I was saying the 10mm Mechtech should do 1500 or 1600 fps with the same bullet.

No drama intended here; I think we all know the difference between .40 and 10mm.

mscott
11-16-2012, 06:09
I have 3 of these things and got to say they are very fun. I use them for 3 gun matches since we don't have anything over 100 yards on most of the matches here. I got tired of moving things around and now have 2 dedicated frames for them. Here's a 9mm version somewhat customized.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/mscott_photos/newmechtech014.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/mscott_photos/newmechtech012.jpg

I've also been working on the bolt. I decided to flute one in an effort to shave weight and reduce friction inside the unit and maybe allow the use of lighter ammo.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/mscott_photos/mech%20tech/mechtechbolt002.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/mscott_photos/mech%20tech/mechtechbolt003.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/mscott_photos/mech%20tech/mechtechbolt005.jpg

Brakeman
11-16-2012, 07:49
Chiming in here on pistol versus barrel length velocities (in reference to the MechTech 10). Recommend checking out this YouTube posting by
drsjr1969 (https://www.youtube.com/user/drsjr1969) 10mm ammo Ultimate test Glock 20 and Mech-tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyQ-E9aEnI

In short, using a Shooting Chrony, he does a very nice job of comparing several factory loads from the standard 4.6" G20 to the Lone Wolf 6" to the MechTech 16" carbine...the results of which are very revealing for the high performance enthusiast! In short, plays out like this:

Video shows testing of Glock G20 with 6" Lone Wolf barrel and the MechTech 16" Carbine using the following ammo:
1. Underwood 135gr HP
2. Georgia Arms 155gr HP
3. Underwood 165gr HP
4. Buffalo Bore 180gr HP

Also shows velocity of the standard 4.6" Glock barrel as well:

135gr Underwood
4.6" Barrel: 1558fps
6" Barrel: 1735fps (+175fps)
16" Barrel: 2020fps (+462fps)
155gr GA Arms
4.6" Barrel: 1329fps
6" Barrel: 1470fps (+140fps)
16" Barrel: 1650fps (+321fps)
165gr Underwood
4.6" Barrel: 1361fps
6" Barrel: 1485fps (+125fps)
16" Barrel: 1695fps (+334fps)
180gr BuffaloBore
4.6" Barrel: 1327fps
6" Barrel: 1452fps (+125fps)
16" Barrel: 1565fps (+238fps)

Now those are some very worthwhile numbers detailing a substantial improvement over the OE barrel. And yes, the MechTech uppers are hell-for-stout strong!

If you've interest in a 10mm carbine, the MechTech is an excellent path to a very versatile multi-platform weapon system.

Brakeman

drsjr1969
11-16-2012, 12:42
Hey, thanks for posting about my info and linking my video.

I wish more people would get the 10mm info out there to get people to see what there missing.

Most under rated cartridge out there.

"10mm ammo" find this page on Facebook

Brakeman
11-28-2012, 07:47
Quick note out to those who own the MechTech Glock upper conversion unit; Did you find anything anomalous relative to your trigger movement and pull/release weight?

blackgun556
11-28-2012, 20:27
the pull / release weight stayed the same but it did move the reset with my fulcrum trigger.

G-nineteen
01-10-2013, 19:17
I just "discovered" the Mech Tech today. :wiggle:

Is there any difference in the reliability of a Glock and one converted with this kit? Reliable enough for HD?

Any other updates would be appreciated.

Also, would this be legal in TX?

Brakeman
01-12-2013, 07:58
Coming back to you here G-Nineteen;
Mechanically and functionally, it operates like your familiar Glocks. With the lower receiver/frame corrected attached to the carbine upper, it locks on with a click that is tight with zero slop anywhere. On my G20 / 10mm, the only observation in that category I've noted is the feel of the trigger is a smidge heavier than my Glock (with a 3.5lb connector). I'm really a fan of the concept of this accessory, it's a terrific "accessory" for any Glock owner interested in a Glock carbine.
As to your reliability question, frankly I've too few rounds through mine to report anything definitively as I got it a little more than a month ago. Time of year has made it difficult to get out and shoot it much, so I've not many rounds through it as of yet. That being said, hasn't stumbled once...

Legality in TX? Can't imagine why it wouldn't...here in Kaliforistan, semi-auto carbines must be equipped with the PITA bullet-button type mag release.

Brakeman

G-nineteen
01-17-2013, 00:07
Thank you Sir. :notworthy:

oceanbob
03-05-2013, 16:11
Hey, thanks for posting about my info and linking my video.

I wish more people would get the 10mm info out there to get people to see what there missing.

Most under rated cartridge out there.

"10mm ammo" find this page on Facebook

I agree.......after watching your entire series of 10MM speeds and the Mech Tech Videos I am now an owner of a Mech Tech 10MM CCU.!

Wow, this thing is quality and the barrel appears incredibably strong. I haven't shot it yet, working tonight on the Bullet Button. (stupid Kalifornistan). Since I already own 5 Glocks in 10MM including my Longslide I have plenty of FRAMES. :cool: Including 3 G21s if need be. I'am going to install an old MILLET red-dot that I had on a 9X25 GLOCK a while back. It's cheap but worked fine for my eyes.

For you Kalifornia people, I am considering going 'featureless' so I can use my normal capacity (called High Capacity by the State) magazines. Otherwise I am restricted to 10 round mags with the bullet button.

This would require I install a 'wall' behind the grip so it's not a pistol grip anymore. Just thinking about it, nothing firmed up yet.

Be well............Bob

nickE10mm
03-05-2013, 16:16
I agree.......after watching your entire series of 10MM speeds and the Mech Tech Videos I am now an owner of a Mech Tech 10MM CCU.!

Wow, this thing is quality and the barrel appears incredibably strong. I haven't shot it yet, working tonight on the Bullet Button. (stupid Kalifornistan). Since I already own 5 Glocks in 10MM including my Longslide I have plenty of FRAMES. :cool: Including 3 G21s if need be. I'am going to install an old MILLET red-dot that I had on a 9X25 GLOCK a while back. It's cheap but worked fine for my eyes.

For you Kalifornia people, I am considering going 'featureless' so I can use my normal capacity (called High Capacity by the State) magazines. Otherwise I am restricted to 10 round mags with the bullet button.

This would require I install a 'wall' behind the grip so it's not a pistol grip anymore. Just thinking about it, nothing firmed up yet.

Be well............Bob

range report! :cool:

oceanbob
03-05-2013, 16:19
range report! :cool:

Nick....I will do that.! Gonna hit the high desert soon...:supergrin:

ModGlock17
03-05-2013, 16:36
Sounds like I just moved up the waiting list...

Congrats, OceanBob.

oceanbob
03-05-2013, 17:10
Sounds like I just moved up the waiting list...

Congrats, OceanBob.

ModGlock....I ordered it 12-30-12....just before New Years. They hit my credit card on 1-7-13......it arrived today, 3-5-13. So about 2 months for the wait. I understand they are so busy they are not taking back-orders now. :shocked:

Just like Starline Brass...nothing in stock and no backorders.

Be well..............Bob

ctious
03-05-2013, 19:16
I got in the line Jan 22. Talked to them last week. Told about 2 weeks till my build is up. So 2 months is holding pretty strong.

oceanbob
03-11-2013, 07:16
It arrived and I will be taking her out to the High Desert later for a Range Test.

I must say the quality is very good on this conversion unit.

Photos:

http://i50.tinypic.com/alomm1.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/ojm1jd.jpg

nickE10mm
03-11-2013, 09:46
It arrived and I will be taking her out to the High Desert later for a Range Test.

I must say the quality is very good on this conversion unit.

Photos:

http://i50.tinypic.com/alomm1.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/ojm1jd.jpg

I am SO VERY JEALOUS.... please take video, pics and report back! :wow: :cool:

ModGlock17
03-11-2013, 17:15
Nick, we've got to get one!

There are guys in my area who'd pay $600 for a Kel Tec Sub2000 which I plan to sell. That'll pay for a CCU.

Need to look into a folding stock.

nickE10mm
03-11-2013, 17:16
Nick, we've got to get one!

I know!

_The_Shadow
03-11-2013, 18:18
Looking good! Good luck!

Any Cal.
03-12-2013, 20:24
I didn't want one under the old ATF letter, but the newest interpretation allows the pistol to be assembled again and used as a pistol without running afoul of the law. Mucho better since you don't have to dedicate a frame to it. Now if primers weren't in such short supply picking one up would be a no-brainer.

ModGlock17
03-21-2013, 08:09
Oceanbob, please give us a report on what you are feeding it, or feeding experiments you may have

I am thinking, based on what they recommend at their site, that I may need to try exclusively reloads above 750ft-lbs, perhaps those with Magnum primers. By definition, this means no plated bullets.

Also, hard casts may create too much of a clean up job, that it is not worth trying.

Bongo Boy
03-21-2013, 10:43
I've just discovered this thing within the last few days and it's bothering me because I don't have one. I have this sweet EOTech sight that's just sitting on the shelf right now and that's just wrong...

ModGlock17
04-07-2013, 20:54
MechTech Owners should have at least a couple of these:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384302&page=2

jgrider
01-29-2014, 18:39
Hello everybody while looking for others that are having my problem I discovered this thread.
This is a FYI
I have an older .45 1911 unit that has never given me trouble in all the 3gun and Steel Challenge matches I've competed in.
And I also had a G17 unit until it was recently stolen.
I sent it in to Mech-Tech for repairs then they shipped it back out to me with out notifying me first. I called them to find out the status of the repair they told me it was delivered but I never received it. And I wouldn't have known anything if I hadn't called them. Fed-X says they delivered to the correct address, mine, and since there was no signature required they just left it at my front door, and Mech-Tech didn't take out any insurance so they were in the clear there also.
Mech-Tech says they aren't going to do anything for me since it was delivered to my house, that it's my problem. And that they never buy insurance or require a signature unless the customer requests it. I explained that I never was notified that it was going to ship, and allow me to insure it and require a signature. I tried to explain that if they would have required a signature from the recipient the item wouldn't have been stolen because Fed-X wouldn't have left it. It was all a waste of time
So now it's in the hands of a thief that may use it some how or sell it.
Moral of this post is if you're going to buy from them or send one in for repair, tell them you want to insure it and require a signature when hey ship it to you.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2014, 18:50
Wow, that sucks. I think MechTech owes you a new upper. Disappointing customer service too.

Johnny Ringo
01-29-2014, 19:13
Hello everybody while looking for others that are having my problem I discovered this thread.
This is a FYI
I have an older .45 1911 unit that has never given me trouble in all the 3gun and Steel Challenge matches I've competed in.
And I also had a G17 unit until it was recently stolen.
I sent it in to Mech-Tech for repairs then they shipped it back out to me with out notifying me first. I called them to find out the status of the repair they told me it was delivered but I never received it. And I wouldn't have known anything if I hadn't called them. Fed-X says they delivered to the correct address, mine, and since there was no signature required they just left it at my front door, and Mech-Tech didn't take out any insurance so they were in the clear there also.
Mech-Tech says they aren't going to do anything for me since it was delivered to my house, that it's my problem. And that they never buy insurance or require a signature unless the customer requests it. I explained that I never was notified that it was going to ship, and allow me to insure it and require a signature. I tried to explain that if they would have required a signature from the recipient the item wouldn't have been stolen because Fed-X wouldn't have left it. It was all a waste of time
So now it's in the hands of a thief that may use it some how or sell it.
Moral of this post is if you're going to buy from them or send one in for repair, tell them you want to insure it and require a signature when hey ship it to you.

Well, that's interesting. I dang sure appreciate this information...

Their policy resulted in your loss. They should make it right. MechTech has been on my short list for a long time - the only reason I haven't made the purchase is because I've yet to make up my mind which caliber I wanted. After reading your story, I'll pass on the whole MechTech experience.

I don't give my money to thieves if I can help it.

Oh well. The disappointment of owning one and having to deal with a company run by a bunch of Ingrates far outweighs that caused by not owning one at all..

Good luck, MechTech...