Where did the Assault Weapons Ban come from? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where did the Assault Weapons Ban come from?

frank4570
04-27-2012, 13:34
I'm not very educated on this subject. But I don't remember reports of hordes of people roaming the streets and shooting people with black rifles. So I'm guessing the idea was started of "Just think what COULD happen." And then the fearmongering was used to whip people up into a frenzy. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
So, how did that idea get legs in the first place?

Javelin
04-27-2012, 13:49
Our rights have been under attack since the days of Prohibition ended and the government needed to figure out how to employ all of the thugs they hired to break up stills and hooch houses. These folks named "The Untouchables" for their ruthless acts of violence against US citizens were a hard bunch of government thugs. The government tried to keep these guys employed through the Volstaed Act and later the Alcohol Tax Unit for a while following the end of Prohibition.

These roughneck government thugs were given a new mission a few years later (1942) and the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) was formed. Then they started targeting gun owners and gun rights to further their employment.

To continue with their employment and the overall Progressive movement of government agenda that was created in the 1930's the reign to disarm American citizens began using scare tactics through the ideolized MOB and Mafia organized crime. Make people scared and they will give up rights for 'protection'. Social engineering at it's finest. In 1968 the government created the Gun Control Act whereabouts the name ATF became official under the auspicious of Organized Crime Control Act of 1970. Later in 1972 they fell under the Treasury as they have established themselves through taxation and interstate commerce clauses.

Long story short it has been a slow noose that is being tightened on almost every administration (yes including Reagan, Bush, Clinton, etc).

Javelin
04-27-2012, 13:53
That noose is around the gun owner's necks and the goal is simple.

If you can't make guns illegal then make so many laws that almost any gun owner can become a criminal.

EDIT: You are seeing this today... I believe there are over 25,000 gun laws @ local, state, and federal levels. That's not a typo.

fgutie35
04-27-2012, 13:54
I'm not very educated on this subject. But I don't remember reports of hordes of people roaming the streets and shooting people with black rifles. So I'm guessing the idea was started of "Just think what COULD happen." And then the fearmongering was used to whip people up into a frenzy. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
So, how did that idea get legs in the first place?

Watch 48 hours.

It was consecuence of a shooting that happened in Los Angeles back in the 80's where bank robbers confronted police with fully automatic AK-47 and AR rifles and had bullet proof vests. That incident also gave birth to the SWAT team. Back then, poilce only had 9mm berettas to fight back. So they were underpowered. Until a policeman had the idea to go into the local gunstore that was across the street to arm themselves with high power rifles.

G-19
04-27-2012, 13:58
Our rights have been under attack since the days of Prohibition ended and the government needed to figure out how to employ all of the thugs they hired to break up stills and hooch houses. These folks named "The Untouchables" for their ruthless acts of violence against US citizens were a hard bunch of government thugs. The government tried to keep these guys employed through the Volstaed Act and later the Alcohol Tax Unit for a while following the end of Prohibition.

These roughneck government thugs were given a new mission a few years later (1942) and the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) was formed. Then they started targeting gun owners and gun rights to further their employment.

To continue with their employment and the overall Progressive movement of government agenda that was created in the 1930's the reign to disarm American citizens began using scare tactics through the ideolized MOB and Mafia organized crime. Make people scared and they will give up rights for 'protection'. Social engineering at it's finest. In 1968 the government created the Gun Control Act whereabouts the name ATF became official under the auspicious of Organized Crime Control Act of 1970. Later in 1972 they fell under the Treasury as they have established themselves through taxation and interstate commerce clauses.

Long story short it has been a slow noose that is being tightened on almost every administration (yes including Reagan, Bush, Clinton, etc).

Man, you really hate America. I agree that Clinton passed the AWB, but the rest of your theory is really out there. I mean every post you post is anti American. If you hate it here so bad, leave. Of course, no where else would put up with you, would they?

I mean, all you Paul supporters do is talk about how bad America is, and it is really getting stale.

4TS&W
04-27-2012, 14:04
Watch 48 hours.

It was consecuence of a shooting that happened in Los Angeles back in the 80's where bank robbers confronted police with fully automatic AK-47 and AR rifles and had bullet proof vests. That incident also gave birth to the SWAT team. Back then, poilce only had 9mm berettas to fight back. So they were underpowered. Until a policeman had the idea to go into the local gunstore that was across the street to arm themselves with high power rifles.

The North Hollywood shootout was 97. The AWB was 94. Swat teams have been around since the 80's.

:upeyes:

4TS&W
04-27-2012, 14:06
Man, you really hate America. I agree that Clinton passed the AWB, but the rest of your theory is really out there. I mean every post you post is anti American. If you hate it here so bad, leave.

I mean, all you paul supporters do is talk about how bad America is, it is really getting stale.

Actually, he isn't anti-American. It's the antigun agenda that is anti-American. He is also correct. :yawn:

snerd
04-27-2012, 14:10
Man, you really hate America.....
We get it. Just shut up and go along to get along. No matter what. You can't even conceive of who it is that actually hates America, so I won't bother trying to point it out to you.

Javelin
04-27-2012, 14:11
Man, you really hate America. I agree that Clinton passed the AWB, but the rest of your theory is really out there. I mean every post you post is anti American. If you hate it here so bad, leave. Of course, no where else would put up with you, would they?

I mean, all you Paul supporters do is talk about how bad America is, and it is really getting stale.

I don't even know where to begin or how to reply to this ridiculous post.

When did Machineguns become illegal to manufacture and import?
Answer: Reagan

When did the 922 laws come about that makes any gun owner a felon if they don't use enough US made parts in their guns? Answer: George Bush Sr.

When did the AWB come about to limit magazine capacity and a host of other rules and laws.
Answer: Bill Clinton

When did the ATF gain the ability to take away veterans rights to own firearms through the VA program without even being able to defend themselves in court (88,000 have lost their rights to gun ownership and are felons if they possess a firearm - most don't even know it).
Answer: George W. Bush

snerd
04-27-2012, 14:17
...... If you hate it here so bad, leave....
Ah, the 'ole 'love it or leave it' reasoning. You can't even understand the one basic principle underlying all of our other freedoms...... free speech. If someone's free speech bothers you so much, why don't YOU leave?

See how stupid that argument sounds?

fgutie35
04-27-2012, 14:21
The North Hollywood shootout was 97. The AWB was 94. Swat teams have been around since the 80's.

My bad, is friday afternoon!

Well, I think it all started here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

G-19
04-27-2012, 14:23
Ah, the 'ole 'love it or leave it' reasoning. You can't even understand the one basic principle underlying all of our other freedoms...... free speech. If someone's free speech bothers you so much, why don't YOU leave?

See how stupid that argument sounds?

You Ronulans are really out there. It is a good thing you and your party are irrelevant. If it wasn't for forums like this you would not even be noticed.

Only good thing about you, is you give me the chance to have some fun taunting you into showing your true colors.

4TS&W
04-27-2012, 14:27
My bad, is friday afternoon!

Well, I think it all started here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

That wasn't the start, but it was a major development. Another brick in the wall, my friend Pink Floyd would say...

Javelin
04-27-2012, 14:28
You Ronulans are really out there. It is a good thing you and your party are irrelevant. If it wasn't for forums like this you would not even be noticed.

You really have not said anything constructive or provided anything worthwhile in this thread. You have merely pointed out multiple times as to your complete dislike for 'Ronulans'.

So we get it. You don't like Ron Paul or anyone that follows him. Maybe go start your own thread about that.

G-19
04-27-2012, 14:30
That wasn't the start, but it was a major development. Another brick in the wall, my friend Pink Floyd would say...

You do realize Pink Floyd was a band not a person.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd

snerd
04-27-2012, 14:31

Only good thing about you, is you give me the chance to have some fun taunting you into showing your true colors.
If you had even one clue, or paid any attention at all, or did any small amount of inquiry, you would know that I'm no ronulan. But then again, that's my point......... you assume everything and question nothing.

The Maggy
04-27-2012, 14:48
Ultimately, the idea of gun control/ banning the sale of certain weapons dates back to the end of slavery.

Dixiecrats didn't were appalled by the thought of former saves being legally armed.

Hef
04-27-2012, 15:03
The AWB came from Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer. After the Stockton, CA schoolyard shooting (Patrick Purdy, 1989), "assault weapons" became a topic of gun banners interest, taking their focus off of handguns. Various incidents fed their interest, and the two concocted a list of models and another list of features, from what many believe to be nothing more than browsing gun catalogs.

greenman19
04-27-2012, 15:30
there have always been people who wanted to disarm the public... always will.

actually the 94 assault weapons ban got its roots from when reagan was shot. if you recall james brady was also shot in the head. this prompted his wife sarah to start the "brady campaign" trying to do away with all firearms. there were multiple bills proposed but the one we all know is the assault weapons ban.

now ask me what high capacity mag and scary rifle restrictions had to do with a couple of guys getting shot with a .22 revolver... on second thought dont, i haven't a clue.

CAcop
04-27-2012, 15:53
The Stockton schoolyard shooting started the ball rolling but the crack wars really got things moving. A lot of gun control has racial overtones in it. The reason why CA banned loaded open carry is because of the Black Panthers.

syntaxerrorsix
04-27-2012, 15:55

Who brought up RP?

You did.

Taunting us? Hardly.

4TS&W
04-27-2012, 16:25
You do realize Pink Floyd was a band not a person.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd

Yes, I do, I guess that was an inside joke that I let outside.

We used to page Mr. Floyd, Mr. Pink Floyd over the Walmart intercom.. among other nutty things.. :rofl:

madbaumer
04-27-2012, 18:22
Yes, I do, I guess that was an inside joke that I let outside.

We used to page Mr. Floyd, Mr. Pink Floyd over the Walmart intercom.. among other nutty things.. :rofl:

WHERE DOES THE NAME PINK FLOYD COME FROM?

Pink Floyd was taken from two blues singers:
Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

Angry Fist
04-27-2012, 18:30
Pretty easy to load up people in boxcars and send them off to die when they're unarmed. Fear, and social control. Nothing more.

HandyMan Hugh
04-27-2012, 18:35
The AWB came from Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer. After the Stockton, CA schoolyard shooting (Patrick Purdy, 1989), "assault weapons" became a topic of gun banners interest, taking their focus off of handguns. Various incidents fed their interest, and the two concocted a list of models and another list of features, from what many believe to be nothing more than browsing gun catalogs.

The Stockton schoolyard shooting started the ball rolling but the crack wars really got things moving. A lot of gun control has racial overtones in it. The reason why CA banned loaded open carry is because of the Black Panthers.

Hef and CAcop have it right. The Stockton shooting became the focus of the anti gunners. Never mind that "assault weapons had never (and still don't) accounted for more than 1% of gun crimes. It was an emotionally loaded issue, just perfect for their propaganda campaign.

We fell right into their trap. At that time very few people outside the military owned "assault weapons". They took the initiative, and defined "assault weapons" as THEY viewed them. They ran a great propaganda drive, and managed to ram the AWB through the legislature. Most other gun owners didn't stand up for assault weapon owners. It was divide and conquer. Their standard method is Demonize, Divide, and Conquer! It is still a viable strategy!

Alpine
04-27-2012, 20:58
Black rifles and their magazines and accessories were much, much less commonplace then. Huge factor.

Cavalry Doc
04-27-2012, 21:26
Black rifles and their magazines and accessories were much, much less commonplace then. Huge factor.

That is true. There are an awful lot more of us that own scary black rifles now. I'm not looking to give mine up.

happyguy
04-27-2012, 22:19
Swat teams have been around since the 80's.

early 70's

Regards,
Happyguy :)

4TS&W
04-27-2012, 22:29
early 70's

Regards,

My bad.. I wasn't born yet. :)

Sent via telepathy

jeager
04-27-2012, 22:30
Yes, the male prostitute from Oregon who returned to his elem. school in Stockton.
He should never have had (by existing laws) any guns let alone the toy soldiers he left deployed in his motel room.
An aquaintance of mine was there that day, and the day after and has been the same ever since.
Not even a comapassionate visit from Michael Jackson the next week could help. Schools throughout town began "intruder drills" as opposed to the Nuke drills we enjoyed during the '60's.

happyguy
04-27-2012, 22:39
My bad.. I wasn't born yet. :)

Sent via telepathy

:supergrin:

:wavey: Damn I'm old!

Regards,

G29Reload
04-28-2012, 04:26
Watch 48 hours.

Um, NO.

The North Hollywood shoot out did not occur till the late 90's.

The advent of demonization of "assault weapons" got its genesis from Patrick Purdy's shooting up a schoolyard in CA in the 80's.

There was another incident in which nut shot up a San Ysidro, CA McDonalds.

Libs in Congress and gun control nuts focused on these and a few other rare, but extraordinary events, fueled by the media and a few lucky elections with an aggregation of democrats to get traction that resulted in the AWB.

They managed to gain control of the narrative and corrupt the language since true "assault" weapons were never used. (No nation in its right mind would send its soldiers to assault anything with semiauto weapons when its just as easy to give them full-auto…the first true assault weapon bearing the name was germany's STG-44, a design later stolen by the Russian tank seargent who developed the AK)

But the word assault has a guttural, shock value that conflates civilian ownership with warlike behavior not belonging in the civil society, and their intellectual dishonesty took hold long enough to get laws passed.

As it turns out, the last election proved just how popular "assault" weapons are with the American public.

series1811
04-28-2012, 05:09
I was in law enforcement back then, and I remember that the gun ban didn't even make since to the ATF agents I knew and worked with.

I remember thinking. What possible difference could it make whether a criminal was carrying an AK 47 or a Remington 742?

But, somehow it made a difference to liberals.

QNman
04-28-2012, 08:37

Javelin and I don't always see eye to eye. And he may support Ron Paul - but everything he stated is accurate. All of it. Look up the fact portion. The rest is pretty obvious. There ain't no America hate there - I see American passion.

there have always been people who wanted to disarm the public... always will.

actually the 94 assault weapons ban got its roots from when reagan was shot. if you recall james brady was also shot in the head. this prompted his wife sarah to start the "brady campaign" trying to do away with all firearms. there were multiple bills proposed but the one we all know is the assault weapons ban.

now ask me what high capacity mag and scary rifle restrictions had to do with a couple of guys getting shot with a .22 revolver... on second thought dont, i haven't a clue.

This is correct. It was even called the Brady Bill before it passed.

madbaumer
04-28-2012, 11:33
I was in law enforcement back then, and I remember that the gun ban didn't even make since to the ATF agents I knew and worked with.

I remember thinking. What possible difference could it make whether a criminal was carrying an AK 47 or a Remington 742?

But, somehow it made a difference to liberals.

Because politicians believe this...

Carolyn McCarthy - YouTube

Syclone538
04-28-2012, 13:35
Don't forget the Miami (?) FBI shootout.