For the retired folk. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For the retired folk.

okie
04-28-2012, 11:34
Do you have a set daily schedule or do you go where the wind blows you, and do what you feel like doing? My Step Mother freaked me out when she retired, I kept my mouth shut but she was the worlds biggest worry wart, she would be like OMG I have this to do and that to do and the other too do, I don't know where I'm going to find the time. The bad part was none of this was life or death stuff, and I'm thinkin to my self, damn woman you're retired you have the rest of your life to do this, and if you die then it didn't need to get done. Kinda weird if you ask me:headscratch::supergrin:

GioaJack
04-28-2012, 11:47
It seems that you actually have less time to get things done when you're retired than when working.

I think it has something to do with all the naps. :dunno:

Jack

69HEMI-R/T
04-28-2012, 11:49
HaHa, I have been retired for a little over a year now and it really is an "adjustment". Instead of going to work each week and spending most of your time doing your work and interacting with your peers there, you now have to choose what you are going to do each day and that can be a little overwhelming.

Just sitting down in an easy chair and "retiring" is not good for you and really impossible for most folks so you have to learn to manage your own time and stay engaged with life or .... things start going wrong with your life or, especially, your body. Just a fact of life when getting older !

Retirement is nice for me but requires a big adjustment in your day to day life.

Buki192327
04-28-2012, 11:52
Do you have a set daily schedule or do you go where the wind blows you, and do what you feel like doing? My Step Mother freaked me out when she retired, I kept my mouth shut but she was the worlds biggest worry wart, she would be like OMG I have this to do and that to do and the other too do, I don't know where I'm going to find the time. The bad part was none of this was life or death stuff, and I'm thinkin to my self, damn woman you're retired you have the rest of your life to do this, and if you die then it didn't need to get done. Kinda weird if you ask me:headscratch::supergrin:

Okie, after my wife passed, I went back to work. The extra money helps, plus it forces me to get out of the house. Other than going to work, when scheduled. I don't feel that I have to do anything, at a particular time. I know it will still be there, when I get around to it. :shocked:

Caver 60
04-28-2012, 12:30
Have things to do that occupy your time and that you enjoy. Unless you're a golf pro, you can only play so much golf.

I'm happy as can be since I retired over a quarter century ago. Run a cattle farm, do church work, go caving, step out the back door and go hunting or shooting, etc.

Don't know how I ever got things done before I retired.

And try to be debt free and have a retirement income set up before you retire. Farming when you have to depend on it to put food on the table and pay the bills is too much like work. I make a modest amount from my cattle, but I couldn't live on that alone.

cowboywannabe
04-28-2012, 12:50
museums, art galleries, target shooting, fishing, hunting, hiking, brunches, movies, going to the mall, writing your memoirs, gardening, seeing distant family, looking forward to the holidays because you dont have to work them....

okie
04-28-2012, 12:55
I know a person has to stay busy for sure, it just freaked me out that my Step Mom would freak out like that, I mean it was just busy work, nothing that had to be done yesterday. However there may have been something wrong with her, I saw several times she had gotten a letter that there was going to be a family rebellion and it was 6 months away, and she was to bring a covered dish. The day she got the letter she would already be freaking out about what she was going to cook for her covered dish:alex::faint:

4GLOCKER
04-28-2012, 13:00
When people ask, what do you do now that your retired, I say, "Nothing before 10:30".

LoadToadBoss
04-28-2012, 13:37
Retirement is for sissies.

spork
04-28-2012, 14:07
All the retired people I know stay very busy. I don't really get it, since I am always trying to find more free time.

RDW
04-28-2012, 15:37
Retirement is for sissies.

I'm a BIG Sissy

jtmac
04-28-2012, 15:54
I know a blessed older lady who laid down the law when her husband retired: He wasn't coming in the house during working hours just to sit in his armchair so they could annoy each other as he wasted away. No, she said, he could spend it in his shop working or go find something else to do, but he wasn't coming in the house.

They're in great health and get along well. :supergrin:

lethal tupperwa
04-28-2012, 16:04
retirement is hell.

there are no weekends

no holidays

no vacations

of course

there are also no mondays or fridays. ;O)

deputy tom
04-28-2012, 16:06
Okie, I went from a full time real job to a few days a week part time job. I spend my off time either here with you folks or running around with my lovely wife. Dining out, shopping, working on the house,what ever she wants me to do.Sometimes I fix the vehicles or what ever. Today I spent most of the day with my daughter's boyfriend at the gunshow.Then a good lunch. Good times.tom.:supergrin:

deputy tom
04-28-2012, 16:07
When people ask, what do you do now that your retired, I say, "Nothing before 10:30".

Happy hour.tom.:embarassed:

Just kidding.tom.

Diesel_Bomber
04-28-2012, 16:19
Retired life is like working life: It is what you make of it.

I enjoy it.

okie
04-28-2012, 16:50
The main point here for me anyway is that my Step Mom is so worried about time, since it's all just busy work for her anyway:supergrin:

cphilip
04-28-2012, 16:52
I don't know how I had time to go to work. Busy... and not always with just what I want to do. Something to fix, something to do all the time. I also am keeping my little 3 year old grandson three days a week so it keep me hopping...

captcurly
04-28-2012, 17:28
Been retired for 18 years and it works for me. When I wake up I decide what I am going to do for the day. I am into shooting,motorcycles and music. Retirement is great and hear is how I explain it. Remember when you were a kid in grammar school and out for recess? Well now you do not have to come in when the bell rings. I do what I want,when I want and if I want. The main thing is to stay in shape and watch your diet.

NJDrew1
04-28-2012, 18:47
HaHa, I have been retired for a little over a year now and it really is an "adjustment". Instead of going to work each week and spending most of your time doing your work and interacting with your peers there, you now have to choose what you are going to do each day and that can be a little overwhelming.

Just sitting down in an easy chair and "retiring" is not good for you and really impossible for most folks so you have to learn to manage your own time and stay engaged with life or .... things start going wrong with your life or, especially, your body. Just a fact of life when getting older !

Retirement is nice for me but requires a big adjustment in your day to day life.

I retired at 49, sort of. I immediately opened a retail store which was doing quite well until the recession hit. It wasn't until last month (about 10 years later) that I closed the store. I haven't not worked since I was about 15 years old. It is definitely a major life change. I built a task list/honey-do list of stuff that I've ignored around the house for years and I'm checking off the finished tasks one-by-one. Still having my hobbies of shooting, woodworking and photography, and all of the trappings that go with them, I'll keep myself busy. I find it hard not to rush around like I did when I worked for a living.

napp32
04-28-2012, 22:57
There are some things that dictate how much freedom you have when retired. For example: My garbage pickup is every Wednesday about 1:30 PM. That means my entire Wednesday morning is wasted; because I have to sit around until about 12:30; and think about taking my garbage out to the street. Other than that thorn in my side, my life is fairly unstructured. :whistling: .

ldmtulsa
04-29-2012, 15:22
Retirement is great. I do what I want, when I want if I want.