Odd-lot Speer Gold Dot ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Odd-lot Speer Gold Dot ammo

sic_semper_tyrannis
04-28-2012, 17:37
Quick question. I am familiar with three different variations of 125gr Speer Gold Dot .357sig ammo currently on the market:

Product code
23918: Reduced-power 1350fps load in 20rd box
53918: Exact same as above, but in 50rd LE box
54234: Full power 1375fps load in 50rd LE box

However, I currently have about six 50rd LE boxes of product code 53972 sitting around in my man room, and for the life of me I cannot find any information on this product code. I've searched all over the interwebz, and have seen this product code mentioned a few other times by various people, but no one seems to know any details on it. Does anyone here have any insight?

sic_semper_tyrannis
04-28-2012, 17:40
Oh, and on a related note, does anyone happen to know the approximate timeframe when Speer switched from the 5-petal design to the 6-petal design?

RMD
04-29-2012, 06:35
I have a few rounds of 3927 as well. I think it's just the predecessor to the 4234, not sure if there were any ballistic differences. The 5-petal design was for the 3918 load I believe.

Check this thread (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341650) for more info.

sic_semper_tyrannis
04-29-2012, 20:42
That old thread just made me more confused! I thought that the 6-petal design had completely replaced the 5-petal years ago, but apparently I was wrong. And my theory on the 53972 ammo was that it was higher-velocity ammo, like >1400fps, as the .357sig was originally designed. I know this round has suffered from an industry-wide downloading to sub 1400fps velocities recently, which is unfortunate, as the industry standard now seems to be a "less exciting" 1350fps. However, I realized that my theory may be dead from the get-go, as my 53972 rounds are packaged in the modern-style Gold Dot packaging, which I think changed from the old gold box to the new black box sometime around 2004-2005, so the ammo can't be all that old.

RMD
04-30-2012, 05:47
That old thread just made me more confused! I thought that the 6-petal design had completely replaced the 5-petal years ago, but apparently I was wrong. And my theory on the 53972 ammo was that it was higher-velocity ammo, like >1400fps, as the .357sig was originally designed. I know this round has suffered from an industry-wide downloading to sub 1400fps velocities recently, which is unfortunate, as the industry standard now seems to be a "less exciting" 1350fps. However, I realized that my theory may be dead from the get-go, as my 53972 rounds are packaged in the modern-style Gold Dot packaging, which I think changed from the old gold box to the new black box sometime around 2004-2005, so the ammo can't be all that old.

The folks at Speer have been pretty good about answering my questions, but I don't think I ever asked them about the 53972 load. Might give it a shot and see what they say.

Here's the link I used:

http://www.speer-ammo.com/ask.aspx

sic_semper_tyrannis
09-19-2012, 14:19
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to add some closure to my original question, since I finally have an answer. I called Speer and spoke directly to one of the techs, and he looked up the specs on product code 53972 and advised that it is the exact same loading as the 54234 (full-power 1375fps). The product code is different because it was a special contract run for an agency purchase.

So there ya go, question answered!

NitLion
09-19-2012, 17:28
Nice that they worked with you and researched it!! Pretty interesting!

fastbolt
09-19-2012, 18:44
Yep, it can become confusing when commercial customers get their hands on special runs made for large LE/Gov orders, and the product/Sku codes are different than the commercial catalog stuff. ;)

I've also heard that some LE/Gov orders might include specs where the weight/pressure amount required before bullet setback occurs is greater than in a standard run/catalog item.

You can also find whereLE/Gov specs for primer cup sealant and/or sensitivity & case mouth sealant is different than some commercial runs.

Then again, smaller agencies may just order the same stuff that's sold in 20-rd boxes packaged into 50-rd boxes (for FET exempt, discounted pricing), too.

Over the years of seeing LE ammo sales, I've learned to "never say never". ;) The reps and companies are usually pretty good about finding out the differences among production runs/lots and explaining them, when asked, though. I've asked often enough.