Federal Tactical Bonded .357sig ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Federal Tactical Bonded .357sig ammo

sic_semper_tyrannis
04-28-2012, 17:54
In all the discussions here about what ammo people use in their .357sig, the conversations constantly focus on only a few specific rounds (Speer GD, Double Tap, Ranger, and sometimes HST). A while ago I picked up a 1/2 case of Federal Tactical Bonded 125gr, product code LE357ST4, at a decent price and haven't even bothered shooting any of it yet. No one ever seems to mention this Federal offering, despite it being a bonded round, which theoretically should make it a strong performer. I'm guessing it is just generally overshadowed by HST, which people assume to be Federal's premium line (even though HST is a non-bonded round).

Has anyone ever done any testing with this Tactical Bonded load? Specifically chrono and gelatin tests? I would be very interested to see any results, as well as hear about anyone else's experience with this round.

RMD
04-29-2012, 06:29
I'm not sure I've even seen it for sale in the local & online retailers I usually use. I know Federal makes a great round, but I almost never come across it, so I've generally stuck with Speer since they're easier to obtain and so darn consistent.

sic_semper_tyrannis
04-29-2012, 20:52
It appears to be very hard to find, which I think is why no one really talks about it. Heck, I didn't even go out looking for it when I bought it, I just happened upon a pretty good deal on them online and figured I'd go ahead and buy them. If I remember correctly they came out to ~$23 per 50rd box, which seems like a good deal on any bonded JHP round.

The bonded Golden Sabres are even easier to find than this round, which says a lot, because that stuff is rare. I guess I will just patiently wait for someone to post a youtube video with a test on the Federal.

RMD
04-30-2012, 05:41
It appears to be very hard to find, which I think is why no one really talks about it. Heck, I didn't even go out looking for it when I bought it, I just happened upon a pretty good deal on them online and figured I'd go ahead and buy them. If I remember correctly they came out to ~$23 per 50rd box, which seems like a good deal on any bonded JHP round.

The bonded Golden Sabres are even easier to find than this round, which says a lot, because that stuff is rare. I guess I will just patiently wait for someone to post a youtube video with a test on the Federal.

That's a good deal indeed. It's the same price as the least expensive FMJ I can find locally.

NitLion
04-30-2012, 14:35
Sure looks like it will be a good round!! I will get a box and add it t the list :supergrin: I sure won't find it at the price you did.... if I could, I might make it a staple. Right now, there are several rounds I would have no problems carrying - Gold Dot, Ranger bonded, HST, Gold Sabre bonded, Corbon and others! So many great choices these days (with both firearms and loads!)

gatorboy
05-02-2012, 08:07
The 9mm +P is a 135. That would be a nice addition in 357 auto @ 1250-1300. Split the posts of 125 and 147 pretty well. Something tells me it'll never happen though.

sic_semper_tyrannis
05-05-2012, 20:49
I honestly think that Federal might have discontinued this round. I cannot find it anywhere online. This actually wouldn't surprise me since it appears that Federal is focusing on HST as their premium JHP line. I guess I'm glad I picked up 500rds while it was still around... although I still haven't seen how the round performs, so for all I know the round is junk (doubtful though).

I'm going to shoot some rounds into water jugs sometime later this summer and see how they do. Hopefully I can also get my hands on a chronograph beforehand so I can get velocity measurements. I'll report back with photos.

NitLion
05-06-2012, 15:18
I honestly think that Federal might have discontinued this round. I cannot find it anywhere online. This actually wouldn't surprise me since it appears that Federal is focusing on HST as their premium JHP line.

I found it HERE (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_68_155/products_id/7839) although you can see it is nowhere near the bargain you got! I ordered one box and it should be here tomorrow. Then I will add it to the list I keep on the first page of THIS THREAD (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316941)...... it will bring the list to 109!! Looking forward to seeing your test results!!

sic_semper_tyrannis
05-07-2012, 00:03
That price is... absurd. :wow: And it doesn't even include shipping.

There is absolutely no reason the ammo should cost that much. We all know that .357sig is not a cheap round, but that crack is whack.

NitLion
05-08-2012, 06:17
That price is... absurd. :wow: And it doesn't even include shipping.

There is absolutely no reason the ammo should cost that much. We all know that .357sig is not a cheap round, but that crack is whack.

Adding the word "Tactical" automatically adds $20 to the price.... thank goodness they didn't name it Ninja Tactical!! :supergrin: