Got my lone Wolf barrels. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got my lone Wolf barrels.

orangeride
04-28-2012, 21:43
Finally got my two lone wolf barrels. They had been on order since mid nov. I guess they came in stock a while ago but I had one of the barrels blind marked and engraved. I got one stock length .40 SW conversion barrel and one threaded blind marked 10mm barrel. My first impressions were that the lock up on both barrels is very tight. Next the barrel support seems to be very good. My stock barrel is a late model gen3 that has never givin me smiles even with hot loads. Also the chamber seems to be tighter. So here's the bad news, I have three standard loads that I shoot. 1st. 180 fmj at 1.25" that fits fine. 2nd my HD load 135 Nosler at 1.25". This also chambered and feed fine from the mag. The last load is a bear tooth 200gr HC at 1.26". Here's the problem, at that length the bullet hits the rifling before its fully seated. It's a pretty hot load that gives me 1230fps from the stock barrel (no smiles) so I really don't want to shorten things up. I really only plan on using the LW barrels at the range, and the 200gr BT are just for fishing trips. I really but want the barrels to make my brass last longer. I'll shoot them this week and give a report.

Meathead9
04-28-2012, 22:00
My original LWD 6" 10mm barrel wouldn't feed 200gr WFNGC's any longer than 1.250", and also had trouble with 150gr Nosler JHP's @ 1.260". I sent it back to LWD, and now it feeds 100% with both bullets @ 1.260". There's a BEAST of a thread in the general reloading forum here, something like "PSA about Lone Wolf Barrels". My suggestion would be to adjust your charge @ load them shorter, or contact LWD & send in you barrel(s) with the handloads you want them to feed. They used to ream/throat the chambers for free, but apparently they charge $30 to do it now.

freakshow10mm
04-28-2012, 22:49
Shorten your OAL and adjust the powder charge or send back to LWD to rechamber to your ammunition. $30 plus return shipping.

My thread grew bigger than I had intended. Was meant to inform, not blow up into a whole big thing.

Taterhead
04-29-2012, 13:58
My thread grew bigger than I had intended. Was meant to inform, not blow up into a whole big thing.

It has been an interesting read. I do not have a dog in the fight, but have been following along anyway.

Yondering
04-29-2012, 16:50
The cast bullet issue is not surprising with the Lone Wolf barrels. Are you absolutely sure the WFN bullet is contacting the rifling, not the throat, or just a tight chamber? The cast bullets are .001-.002" bigger than jacketed, of course, so there's a good chance that they're sticking in the overly tight chamber or throat of the LW barrels.

If you're handy with tools and reloading, you can open up the chamber using a fired case and lapping compound, and/or the throat and rifling by firelapping. I can give more instruction on those if anyone is interested.

orangeride
04-29-2012, 21:04
The cast bullet issue is not surprising with the Lone Wolf barrels. Are you absolutely sure the WFN bullet is contacting the rifling, not the throat, or just a tight chamber? The cast bullets are .001-.002" bigger than jacketed, of course, so there's a good chance that they're sticking in the overly tight chamber or throat of the LW barrels.

If you're handy with tools and reloading, you can open up the chamber using a fired case and lapping compound, and/or the throat and rifling by firelapping. I can give more instruction on those if anyone is interested.

That's a good question. I'm not sure if it's a tight throat or the rifling. The round wouldn't fully seat, so I lightly tapped it in till it seated. I then lightly pry'd it out. Just before the edge of the case mouth I could see a couple spots that were contacting the lead. Im still debating what to do about it. My range ammo seems to work fine. I'll be shooting them both tomorrow and I'll report.

Yondering
04-29-2012, 23:33
Can you post pics?

If the contact is right in front of the case mouth, that's a tight throat, and pretty common for LW barrels. It could also be the chamber itself that is tight. I like to use a black sharpie marker to color the bullet and brass, to see where the contact is.

Not sure what you meant about going shooting, but don't try to shoot those cast bullets if they are tight! Pressure will go up, and could be dangerous, especially if it's the chamber that is tight. (A tight chamber prevents the brass from expanding and releasing the bullet, pressures go way up in a hurry.)

orangeride
04-30-2012, 07:04
I read ya loud and clear, there's no way I was going to shoot those 200gr hc in the lone wolf. I just ment I wanted to go to the range and check for function with my range ammo. I have a bunch of 180 delta's loaded at 1.25 in brand new brass. If that load doesn't run good I'll be surprised .

Any Cal.
05-01-2012, 14:42
My barrel was the same way, and I thought it was the throat too. Look at the brass though, on mine it was hitting the chamber as well, and after opening it up with yondering's help, everything feeds great. I think that the tight throat may not be as big of a deal feedwise as the tight chamber, at least it didn't seem to be in my case. Originally I had sent it back to LW, but after weeks of waiting I had them send it back, and did it myself in a half hour or so.

Cwlongshot
05-01-2012, 15:22
Why not just make a chamber cast and SEE/KNOW what you have?

CW

Yondering
05-01-2012, 19:34
Most people don't have the material needed to make a chamber cast, of course. I would not use bullet lead, there's too much heat there, and temperatures are well above the heat treating range of steel.

You can use a pure lead muzzleloader ball or similar pounded down the chamber and bore to measure those dimensions if you want. It's a lot easier to just figure out where the cartridge is touching or binding though. It doesn't really matter what the chamber dimensions are, as long as your ammo fits it correctly.