The old Black Talon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The old Black Talon

Ken43
04-28-2012, 22:12
Mas:
I am a retired LE. I carry my G-30 or G-36. I have some Black Talon ammo left over from when I was working. Is there any disadvantage to carrying the old Black Talon with the black bullets? I also have some Ranger T which I understand is the same bullet, but not black.

Mas Ayoob
04-28-2012, 22:35
Ken, I'd respectfully suggest that you relegate the Black Talon to the ammo collection and get yourself some Ranger-T. The Black Talon is old stuff, and the rule of thumb is that after ten years, it's best to relegate the ammo to the practice pile. You're getting closer to 20 years with Black Talon.

The media blitz against this stuff will haunt you in a shooting. It was strong enough for Winchester to take it off the market. I was in a courtroom in Kansas when the prosecutor spoke to the jury of this ammo as "bla-a-ack ta-a-lon," like someone in a satire of a vampire movie saying "va-a-ampire!"

Today's Ranger-T is a distinctly more effective load than the old Black Talon. The "talons," now called "petals," stay out instead of folding back as they complete their penetration path.

From a personal perspective, my Black Talon ammo is in the "collector" section of my ammo stockpile, and Ranger-T 230 grain is in the Glock 30 presently on my hip.

best,
Mas

Ken43
04-29-2012, 10:43
Thanks Mas, that is the information I was looking for.