Civil War Photo's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Photo's

bunk22
04-29-2012, 18:12
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/02/the-civil-war-part-1-the-places/100241/

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/02/the-civil-war-part-2-the-people/100242/

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/02/the-civil-war-part-3-the-stereographs/100243/

concretefuzzynuts
04-29-2012, 18:20
AWESOME photos sir. Hats off from the south.

rsagona1
04-29-2012, 18:43
Thanks for sharing. I went through all three sites and then I finally realized the images are clickable. Pretty cool, but why did they do it like that?

G17Jake
04-29-2012, 18:54
Very interesting. Thanks.

4949shooter
04-29-2012, 19:15
Great photos!

RustyShackelford
04-29-2012, 19:27
Thanks for the links, bunk22!

Hurricanes
04-29-2012, 19:36
Amazing photos.
-Joel

John43
04-29-2012, 19:53
We did some reproductions of Matthew Bradys work in the Naval Academy Photo lab in the early sixties. They were from 4x5 lantern slides, his originals They were extremely detailed, one was showing union troops getting on trains. His work was excellent.

barbedwiresmile
04-29-2012, 20:14
Great pictures.

It's amazing how the Yankees were able to erase the memory of this war and the terrible aftermath of "reconstruction". Many say that, unlike Europeans for example, Americans have never experienced war on their own soil. But this is obviously incorrect. Rarely in history, however, has the collective memory of war and occupation been so completely erased. An example of how inaccurate 'history' can be -- written, as it is, by the victors.

TNGlockman
04-29-2012, 20:37
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

HollowHead
04-29-2012, 20:48
Great pictures.

It's amazing how the Yankees were able to erase the memory of this war and the terrible aftermath of "reconstruction". Many say that, unlike Europeans for example, Americans have never experienced war on their own soil. But this is obviously incorrect. Rarely in history, however, has the collective memory of war and occupation been so completely erased. An example of how inaccurate 'history' can be -- written, as it is, by the victors.

You're blaming popular culture's indifference of history as some kind of Yankee conspiracy? HH

Ragnar
04-29-2012, 20:57
Great pictures.

Yes, they've erased it. There is nowhere to be found a book in a library/bookstore, nary a college class about US History, even managed to keep the History Channel (among others) from showing anything about the Civil War. And yet, somehow, perhaps in some mission impossible type operation, the Atlantic magazine - based in Washington, DC (Yankee Central) - has gotten its hands on photos from the war that never happened. Wow. :upeyes:

PBCounty
04-29-2012, 22:21
Tagged.

HollowHead
04-29-2012, 22:23
Yes, they've erased it. There is nowhere to be found a book in a library/bookstore, nary a college class about US History, even managed to keep the History Channel (among others) from showing anything about the Civil War. And yet, somehow, perhaps in some mission impossible type operation, the Atlantic magazine - based in Washington, DC (Yankee Central) - has gotten its hands on photos from the war that never happened. Wow. :upeyes:

C'mon, Ragnar...everyone knows that Brady used PhotoShop! HH

Folsom_Prison
04-29-2012, 22:26
Cool pics!

Batesmotel
04-30-2012, 12:20
Most of the glass plate negatives of the war were cleaned off and used for windows on green houses or homes with no print ever being made.

Thanks for posting. We are lucky these survived.

robin303
04-30-2012, 12:30
Thanks Bunk. Great stuff. :thumbsup:

JW1178
08-10-2012, 16:28
VERY nice photos. Most of the time when you see them they are tiny, blury, very old looking photos. Those are very clear, large, clean photos.

I think of the civil war and how long ago it was. The blurry photos usually seen make ti look that much older. However, these photos, the war doesn't look so old and ancient. They had some modern equipment and some technology. Looks like it wasn't long ago at all. Also, you can really see the people, and that drives it home. They aren't any different than us. We like to think of ourselves as "evolved" I guess but honestly, those people are just as much us as we are. They just lived in a different time than us. It sees you can see their personalities, and you know they are all long gone.

War really doesn't change much. It's fought much the same way. What's funny is that although we have more deadly weapons, war was more deadly back then. Today we dedicate to getting the wounded off the battlefield and get them to a hospital where they can put back together someone that is half blown apart. Back then, there weren't really any ways to get off the battlefield. Trying to get a wounded man off the field would just get you cut up. Battles were long and suffering men often just slowly died on the field. Even if they could get you off the field, not much they could do for you. Even a small srapnel wound that wasn't even debilitating could end up getting infected and take your life. Soldiers today might be more muscular and larger, but I bet those soldiers in those pics were a tougher and had more guts. You would have to. Then they went home to a changed world and a world that didn't understand PTSD, because that wasn't reconized until after WWI. Once again, I think life was much harder and people were just tougher and mentally stronger.

Gray_Rider
12-02-2012, 18:56
Great pictures.

Preach it barbredwire.....read the books.

Gray_Rider

Patchman
12-02-2012, 19:07
Great pictures.

I love it! :rofl:

janice6
12-02-2012, 20:05
When I was a boy we had a collection of photographs, including the Civil war.

One that was haunting, was of a photographer setting up his camera for a long exposure during night bombardment. The picture that was found, was of a shell exploding right near the camera. You can see the body of the photographer killed by the shell with everything streaming skyward, and photographed by his own camera at the moment of his death.

That was haunting (I couldn't find a better word in all these years).

Wil Ufgood
12-02-2012, 20:12
Great pictures.

You all lost, get over it.

concretefuzzynuts
12-02-2012, 20:31

That statement is sad.

The country lost.

clancy
12-03-2012, 04:11
Great pictures.

So true. Richmond, Atlanta, and the rest of the major cities of the South are still in ruins. The people walk the streets, hungry and ill clad, begging for what ever morsels and pennies they may get. The Southern economy has never been allowed to recover and it has been made illegal to open any kind of busness or factory. One cannot find anything in a books store or libraries that has anything positive to say about the Ante-bellum South. Any and all books about Southern icons like RE Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Patrick Cleburne and Bedford Forrest are burned as quickly as they are found. Authors who write positively of the South, like James Robertson, Douglas Southall Freeman and Shelby Foote have been imprisoned and executed.

I am sure the Internet Police are tracking you and Gray Rider this very moment, their black helicopters are hovering over your homes, and your door is about to be kicked in at any moment.

goldenlight
12-03-2012, 05:55
Wow, what GREAT photographs, of this great conflict.

It's amazing how many photographs were taken, given that the process at the time used a wet plate process. Individual glass plates had to be coated with the photograph emulsion, and were only photosensitive while they were wet.

Because of this a darkroom, often fitted on a wagon, had to be at the site of a desired photograph, so the glass plate(s) could be prepared immediately before use.

Film speed was very, very slow by today's standards, but the large glass backed negatives yielded extremely fine grained prints of excellent resolution, providing objects/people didn't move during the seconds long exposure.

At that time, there was no method for artificially illuminating a photographic subject, so all photographs depended upon sunlight. Indoor portraits were taken near large south facing windows. Often a small frame of metal was used to steady the subject of a portrait's head, so they wouldn't move, and spoil the photograph.

Thank you for posting these most excellent links, OP.

JW1178
12-03-2012, 22:36

You all couldn't live without us. We didn't need you. Still don't. Considering the advantages the Union had and yet they still took huge losses proves something. If the South had the population and equipment equal to what the Union had the Union would have been slaughtered.

I am glad the union is together. If we weren't I'm pretty sure the south would have become a typical 3rd world country where the rich would be few and very rich and the poor would have been very poor and numerous. Right wing dream.

raven11
12-03-2012, 22:43
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/raven1121/57030b8b.jpg

HollowHead
12-03-2012, 22:55

Outstanding in oh so many ways! HH

Kilrain
12-03-2012, 23:02

Funny..............:rofl:

Inebriated
12-03-2012, 23:04
Awesome!

banjobob
12-04-2012, 19:10

Come and get them. How dare a people desire to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another or to actually believe it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new Government . . . I say kill them all, We are talking about the colonists aren't we?