Need advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

nologic
04-29-2012, 19:27
I was wondering if it is legal for a civilian to carry hand cuffs? Also I am not sure but can civilians carry tasers? For exams the type that the police carry?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Mas Ayoob
04-29-2012, 21:50
Welcome to Glock Talk.

Legality of carrying handcuffs as a private citizen varies jurisdiction by jurisdiction. Pay particular attention to local/city ordinances, which sometimes prohibit the practice. (It's seen as presumptive evidence of intent to commit kidnapping, armed robbery, etc. in some quarters.)

In any case, I think the practice is unwise. Handcuffing someone requires you to get into contact with them, with your hands occupied and your gun holstered, and the suspect within reach of grabbing your gun or otherwise harming you. It requires a good deal of training and is best done with a partner covering the suspect. All in all, not a good idea. You can also expect juries to see you as a self-appointed vigilante.

The TASERS used by police are sold only to the public safety sector by TASER International. They do make a different civilian version, which works somewhat differently. They are legal in some states but not in others, and I would definitely not carry one without TASER-specific training.

best,
Mas