Double Taps [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Double Taps

GOOFA
04-30-2012, 03:48
Mas... I hope everything is well with you. I need to improve on my double taps. Do you have specific methods that one could work on to improve performance. Also, how do you measure your results when working on double taps? Thank you and take care.

Mas Ayoob
04-30-2012, 06:27
The double tap (generic term for two-shot burst from a semiautomatic) has to be paced to target size and distance. Something big and close, you want what Col. Jeff Cooper called "the hammer": the first shot is aimed and fired, and the shooter instantly hits the trigger again. With a strong hold on the gun, the second shot is discharged during the recoil arc and inside seven yards or so hits maybe four inches above the first.

With a smaller or farther target -- the 25 yard target on a five-to-Glock stage in GSSF, for example -- you want what the Colonel called a "controlled pair," with a rapid second shot being triggered with its own separate sight picture. It's done with a bit more care to the trigger press than with the "hammer."

You want firm grasp and strong stance, with body weight into the gun, to get two hits fast. A good bit of practice, of course, and trigger control, will be essential.

best,
Mas