Flying U.S. Flag Upside Down, on purpose. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Flying U.S. Flag Upside Down, on purpose.

DaveG
04-30-2012, 15:13
Most of us know that flying the U.S. Flag upside down is a sign of distress.

Some folks have adopted flying the flag upside down today, to show a belief the the whole country is in distress under the current president, the latest of whom is my neighbor who told me his upside down flag was on purpose today when I asked him about it.

So, is it disrespectful to fly the flag upside down for this reason or is it exactly what our founding fathers would have wanted?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2378535/posts

G23Gen4.40
04-30-2012, 15:50
I feel that using the flag in this manner is disrespectful.

eracer
04-30-2012, 15:55
I noticed in a scene from 'The Big Bang Theory' that the flag sticker on the top of Sheldon's laptop was upside-down.

I wondered if they did that on purpose, then realized that the flag would be right-side-up when the lid was closed.

Then I noticed that other stickers were right-side-up when the lid was opened (i.e. only the flag was upside-down.)

Now I'm confused. Was the flag sticker upside-down or not?

JBnTX
04-30-2012, 16:31
Unless you're under distress and asking for assistance, flying the flag upside down is disrespectful to the American flag.

Just because you don't like the current president (I don't like him either),
is no reason to disrespect the country or it's flag.

A WWII veteran should know better.

Ruble Noon
04-30-2012, 16:33
Just fly the Gadsden.

frank4570
04-30-2012, 16:37
Yes it is disrespectful.

Brucev
04-30-2012, 16:46
I cannot remember a time when I did not have a almost reverent respect for the flag of our nation. I still do. A few years ago I was helping church members sort rags for collection. In that pile of filth I saw what looked like and what turned out to be a U.S. flag. I took it out... gave the attendant $20 so no one would complain and took that flag home. It took three cycles in the washing machine before it was clean. Then it was starched, ironed and folded neatly into a traditional triangle. Periodically I use it with children and youth groups in discussions about God and country. I cannot imagine that even the extreme of the squatter in the white house would be good enough cause to fly it upside down. That's just my opinion.

czsmithGT
04-30-2012, 17:29
THE FLAG CODE
Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
Approved July 7, 1976

176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Gary W Trott
04-30-2012, 17:29
"June 28, 2002

The Upside-Down Flag

http://jpfo.org/images02/usflagdistress.gif

By Aaron Zelman
Executive Director of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership

One recent afternoon I was working outdoors when a stranger rode up on a motorcycle and started giving me a hard time. No, he wasn't an outlaw biker; he was an ordinary patriotic American. But he didn't like what he saw in my front yard.

It was a U.S. flag. But it was flying upside-down, as it always does at the Zelman household.

He growled that he was a Vietnam vet and that he'd fought for that flag, and he didn't like me showing it disrespect. I answered that I was also a Vietnam vet. But I told him that he _hadn't_ fought for the flag (which is only a symbol); he'd fought for the Bill of Rights -- the document that sets America apart from lesser countries.

And I told him that flying the flag upside-down was as great a sign of respect for my country as I could think of. After all, America is in trouble, and flying its flag upside-down is a sign of distress*. The inverted flag calls out to everybody who sees: "Please help the United States. Don't let the most promising nation on earth fall into tyranny."..." Read More (http://jpfo.org/alerts/alert20020628.htm)

JBnTX
04-30-2012, 17:32
"June 28, 2002

The Upside-Down Flag

By Aaron Zelman

One recent afternoon I was working outdoors when a stranger rode up on a motorcycle and started giving me a hard time. No, he wasn't an outlaw biker; he was an ordinary patriotic American. But he didn't like what he saw in my front yard.

It was a U.S. flag. But it was flying upside-down, as it always does at the Zelman household.

He growled that he was a Vietnam vet and that he'd fought for that flag, and he didn't like me showing it disrespect. I answered that I was also a Vietnam vet. But I told him that he _hadn't_ fought for the flag (which is only a symbol); he'd fought for the Bill of Rights -- the document that sets America apart from lesser countries.

And I told him that flying the flag upside-down was as great a sign of respect for my country as I could think of. After all, America is in trouble, and flying its flag upside-down is a sign of distress*. The inverted flag calls out to everybody who sees: "Please help the United States. Don't let the most promising nation on earth fall into tyranny."..." Read More (http://jpfo.org/alerts/alert20020628.htm)

WRONG! :steamed:

Just because a few disgruntled people have given up on this country and think the United States is doomed, doesn't mean squat to those of us who still have faith in this country.

Fly your own flag as you wish, but don't disgrace my country and its flag by flying it upside down.

Don't disrespect my country by comparing it to Nazi Germany or Russia,
and don't insult the intelligence of the American people by slandering and degrading the reputation of this great country.

Gary W Trott
04-30-2012, 17:43
The first time I ever saw the upside down flag done for distress was in the 1980s TV miniseries Amerika (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092316/) which was about the United States being occupied by East German and Soviet UN "peace keepers". The VFW WWII vets had it up protesting the occupiers and what they were doing to the nation. At more than 14 hours it was a little long, and really drawn out in some places but the story was interesting in how it told the tale of how different people adapted to the Eastern Bloc way of life.

Gundude
04-30-2012, 17:52
The inverted flag calls out to everybody who sees: "Please help the United States. Don't let the most promising nation on earth fall into tyranny."Actually, the way I read the code, it calls out to everybody who sees: "The people in this house are in need of immediate assistance to save their lives or property. Please summon fire and police and help if you can."

But I guess whatever it is that that guy made up is fine too. :upeyes:

Maybe I'll call 911 tonight and tell them the nation's going broke and we need help.

(If I agree with JBnTX one more time I'm going to have to go see a shrink...)

JBnTX
04-30-2012, 17:59
Want mine's phone number?

Gundude
04-30-2012, 18:04
Shame on you for enjoying yourself during these times of such dire distress and extreme danger to life and property.

Politics is dead serious. All the time. No exceptions. Doom and gloom or bust.

lancesorbenson
04-30-2012, 18:28
I wish people had the same fierce dedication to the founding principles and Constitution as they do for the piece of fabric that is supposed to embody the same. The founders didn't risk their lives and fortunes for a flag.

Ruble Noon
04-30-2012, 18:45
I wish people had the same fierce dedication to the founding principles and Constitution as they do for the piece of fabric that is supposed to embody the same. The founders didn't risk their lives and fortunes for a flag.

Great point. Take JBnTX for instance, he gets all wound up with his flag waving yet, he wants to scrap or COTUS and write a new one.

Glock30Eric
04-30-2012, 18:48
"June 28, 2002

The Upside-Down Flag

By Aaron Zelman

Good comment!

I had flag upside down on my avatar for a while.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Ramjet38
04-30-2012, 18:55
I cannot remember a time when I did not have a almost reverent respect for the flag of our nation. I still do. A few years ago I was helping church members sort rags for collection. In that pile of filth I saw what looked like and what turned out to be a U.S. flag. I took it out... gave the attendant $20 so no one would complain and took that flag home. It took three cycles in the washing machine before it was clean. Then it was starched, ironed and folded neatly into a traditional triangle. Periodically I use it with children and youth groups in discussions about God and country. I cannot imagine that even the extreme of the squatter in the white house would be good enough cause to fly it upside down. That's just my opinion.

A Patriot speaks words of what a patriot would say.

JBnTX
04-30-2012, 20:35
Great point. Take JBnTX for instance, he gets all wound up with his flag waving yet, he wants to scrap or COTUS and write a new one.

Nobody wants to write a new constitution.

The constitution needs some serious updating to reflect the country
we have today instead of what we had in the 1700's.

Nobody would lose any freedoms or rights.
Nothing in the bill of rights would change.

With today's speed of light communication devices, we don't need 535 members
of congress. We'd do just fine with less than half that amount.

Why do we vote on only one day, and why is it on a Tuesday
when people have to work? Why not vote over several days and on a weekend?

An update of the constitution would reduce the size of government
and save millions of dollars.

And other much needed updates.

Gunnut 45/454
04-30-2012, 20:40
This is why I fly the Gadsden Flag. Because the WH is under occupation by one who usurpered the office of POTUS!:steamed: The Union Jack will not fly until the usurper is removed!:supergrin:

Ruble Noon
04-30-2012, 20:41

An update of the constitution

:dunno:

I guess you just want to rewrite it then?

JBnTX
04-30-2012, 20:54
:dunno:

I guess you just want to rewrite it then?

Didn't you leave out a lot of what I posted?

Rewrite it to update it, but not change anything that would take away any rights or freedoms.

Any changes would only effect the government to update it and make it more efficient and cost less.

You can't agree with any of that because I'm not a Ron Paul supporter,
and we both know that only Ron Paul supporters are smart enough to speak about the constitution.

So go ahead and twist it all around so that I hate the constitution and want bigger government and want to take away the the bill of rights.

juggy4711
04-30-2012, 21:35

Rewrite it to update it, but not change anything that would take away any rights or freedoms...

Give us your rewritten updated version and then we can judge the merit of that. Shouldn't be too hard or time consuming if you don't want to change that much. The original CotUS is short of 8 pages long depending on font and format.

ModGlock17
04-30-2012, 22:07
There is an Obama flag, with his face on it.

Fly that flag up side down, is NOT disrespectful, for no respect was earned.

lancesorbenson
04-30-2012, 22:48

The constitution needs some serious updating to reflect the country
we have today instead of what we had in the 1700's.

Nobody would lose any freedoms or rights.
Nothing in the bill of rights would change.

With today's speed of light communication devices, we don't need 535 members
of congress. We'd do just fine with less than half that amount.

Why do we vote on only one day, and why is it on a Tuesday
when people have to work? Why not vote over several days and on a weekend?

An update of the constitution would reduce the size of government
and save millions of dollars.

And other much needed updates.

Seriously JB, have you ever actually sat down and read the Constitution? Your post leads me to believe the answer is no.

FOLLOWING the Constitution would actually reduce the size of government and save TRILLIONS of dollars.

holesinpaper
04-30-2012, 23:24
April 15th would be the correct day for an upside down flag, if any day would be.

Ruble Noon
05-01-2012, 05:31

Rewrite it to update it, but not change anything that would take away any rights or freedoms.

Any changes would only effect the government to update it and make it more efficient and cost less.

You can't agree with any of that because I'm not a Ron Paul supporter,
and we both know that only Ron Paul supporters are smart enough to speak about the constitution.

So go ahead and twist it all around so that I hate the constitution and want bigger government and want to take away the the bill of rights.

Why not just follow the one that we have now?
What makes you think that politicians will follow your new one?

SouthpawShooter
05-01-2012, 10:23
I was one of flag monitors for my elementary school when I was in 6th grade.
I remember my partner and I had the end of the day shift, and we'd take it down
and fold it at the end of the school day, and take it to the office for safekeeping.

This doesn't make me an expert, but my feeling is, flying it upside down in this manner is not in the spirit of the true meaning of what that is supposed to signify.

-Cool note- When I graduated (elementary school went up to 6th grade when I went) my partner and I got to actually keep the flags! I think we flipped a coin, and I ended up with the state flag, and he got Old Glory! Bummer, because I wanted it. Oh well, our state flag is pretty cool too.

eracer
05-01-2012, 10:29
Seriously JB, have you ever actually sat down and read the Constitution? Your post leads me to believe the answer is no.

FOLLOWING the Constitution would actually reduce the size of government and save TRILLIONS of dollars.This. His post history speaks of statism, not constitutionalism.

No offense, JB.

brickboy240
05-01-2012, 11:10
It might indeed be a distress call but who is coming to the country's distress?

- brickboy240

JBnTX
05-01-2012, 11:27
Why not just follow the one that we have now?
What makes you think that politicians will follow your new one?

Do you think we need 535 congressmen?

Does the way we hold elections need to be updated and modernized to prevent voter fraud?

Wouldn't you like the 2nd amendment updated to take out the word "militia" and to clearly state that the individual has a God given right to own any firearm of his choice, including automatic weapons, and that right cannot be taken away by any state law. Let's shut the anti-gunners up for good.

There's plenty of other places that could use an update to increase and clarify the rights of individual citizens.

JBnTX
05-01-2012, 11:28
It might indeed be a distress call but who is coming to the country's distress?

- brickboy240

The American people, this November!

Cavalry Doc
05-01-2012, 11:30
Sounds like crying wolf to me. Not much different than having a burning S.O.S. in the front yard.

Bren
05-01-2012, 11:35
Most of us know that flying the U.S. Flag upside down is a sign of distress.

When he is sitting in his safe suburban home with the flag pole out front and the freedom to fly the flag any way he wants, flying the flag upside down is a sign that your neighbor is an ignorant POS with his tinfoil hat on too tight.

Feel free to pass that on to your neighbor (who I assume is not a GT member, per the TOS rules).

Jud325
05-01-2012, 11:57
When he is sitting in his safe suburban home with the flag pole out front and the freedom to fly the flag any way he wants, flying the flag upside down is a sign that your neighbor is an ignorant POS with his tinfoil hat on too tight.

Feel free to pass that on to your neighbor (who I assume is not a GT member, per the TOS rules).

Just for you Bren.

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/YosemiteSam_photos/c1d19f26.jpg

Glock30Eric
05-01-2012, 12:05
^^ Do you have two GR dogs?

Jud325
05-01-2012, 12:11
^^ Do you have two GR dogs?

Four adults and a random number of puppies. :supergrin:

Con43
05-01-2012, 12:49
Don't disrespect my country by comparing it to Nazi Germany or Russia,
Seems by putting Obama in charge that is exactly where we are headed..........:crying: :crying:

and don't insult the intelligence of the American people by slandering and degrading the reputation of this great country.

Would these be the same people who voted in Obama in the first place..............:whistling: :whistling: