Whats better, 135 sierria or 135 nosler? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whats better, 135 sierria or 135 nosler?

orangeride
05-02-2012, 08:15
From the point of view as pure HD bullet. It looks like double tap loads nosler, and corbon loads sierra. Ya I know DT vel are bogus.

countrygun
05-02-2012, 08:29
Whichever one shoots best in your gun

nickE10mm
05-02-2012, 08:29
From the point of view as pure HD bullet. It looks like double tap loads nosler, and corbon loads sierra. Ya I know DT vel are bogus.

Check out 21Carrier's Wax Tube test thread (10mm Reloading Forum).... he tested both of the bullets and found the Sierra to be a little tougher bullet but also not quite as explosive. I use the Noslers, myself, but would have no qualms in using Sierra's, either. They are both very good 135gr bullets for defense.

orangeride
05-02-2012, 09:08
Thanks guys. A buddie loaned me " street stoppers" by evan Marshall. His research has lead him to believe in a pure self defense situation, the quickest and nastiest energy dump the better. It's an older book, but he says the 150gr corbon load has a 90% street record for one shot stops. He also said he thought the newer 135 loads we be even better.

agtman
05-02-2012, 13:38
Thanks guys. A buddie loaned me " street stoppers" by evan Marshall. His research has lead him to believe in a pure self defense situation, the quickest and nastiest energy dump the better. It's an older book, but he says the 150gr corbon load has a 90% street record for one shot stops. He also said he thought the newer 135 loads we be even better.

Yeah, the early SS by Marshall had a lot of good 10mm-related shooting cases, even if you didn't/don't buy the OSS-theory he built based on all the calibers he surveyed.

For pure expansion + minimal penetration + energy dump, resulting in a catastrophic wound channel when fired at bad-breath distance, Mike designed DT's 135gn Nosler load for just that purpose.

Among his other early hot 10mm loads, like the 165gn & 180gn GSHPs, many 10mm users back those days had also requested a super-fast 10mm load w/ a light-weight projectile for use in densely-populated urban areas or inside thin-walled urban residences, like apartment complexes. Generally 150gns or less. Many felt Mike's 135gn Nosler fit the bill for that limited scenario.

:cool:

gofastman
05-02-2012, 19:01
His research has lead him to believe in a pure self defense situation, the quickest and nastiest energy dump the better.
He is misinformed IMO.
However if you want "energy dump" and penetration deep enough to satisfy people who actually perform real scientific testing on terminal balistics, its hard to beat a 125gr Tac-XP, 155gr XTP, or 155gr Gold Dot, probably in that order

gofastman
05-04-2012, 17:32
WHY WONT THEY MAKE A 135gr XTP!?!
It would be the perfect 10mm bullet for the light-and-fast crowd

countrygun
05-04-2012, 18:24

I understand how one measures "quickest" but what units is "nastiest" measured in?

A ping-pong ball at 800fps dumps its energy very quickly, and I rather be hit with it than a ball bearing at 400fps.

One thing overlooked, in terms of "stopping power". There is a lot to be said for hitting the pelvic girdle, and a 180-200 grain bullet would find a lot of disabling things to break down there.

Just a thought

SDGlock23
05-04-2012, 19:41
I would like to see a shallow-nosed 135gr Gold Dot along with the XTP, something to hold together at those high speeds.

orangeride
05-06-2012, 18:34
The goat study in SS was pretty interesting. But those where just lung shots.

gofastman
05-06-2012, 19:08
The goat study in SS was pretty interesting. But those where just lung shots.
Especially because it never happened.

orangeride
05-06-2012, 20:34
Ok, let be more clear. The SS guys didn't do the test on goats, but they were using data from other guys. I think it was called the Strasbourg test's.

Kegs
05-07-2012, 06:48
I don't give a crap who did what "scientific" test, its a pistol. Not as good as a shotgun or rifle, but a lot better than a rock. :supergrin:

The 135 nosler is my bullet of choice.

Why?

Because its less weight to have to carry around than 180s or 200s, plus the recoil impulse is preferable, the precision is very good, and at 1700 fps average, they have a whopping amount of impact energy. More than that of heavier bullets. Plus these suckers will expand more rapidly, and a bigger hole is better than a smaller hole.

The caveat is that they will not penetrate as well as the heavier bullets.

In the unlikely event you will ever have to use your pistol in a defensive measure, I am pretty sure these will suffice.