Think my firestarters work pretty well. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Think my firestarters work pretty well.

NeverMore1701
05-02-2012, 15:28
I've done the cotton balls, dryer lint, wax thing before, but I think these are better. Cotton rounds (my wife has them for makeup removal or something) completely saturated in wax. I used the remnants of a Yankee scented candle, just because it was being thrown away at the time. Torn into quarters and stood on edge, it burned hotly for about 7 minutes, in ~20mph wind, with no shelter or additional fuel.

Oh, this was after I soaked the wax impregnated round in water overnight :supergrin:

Travclem
05-02-2012, 18:59
We used to do something similar with ~3/4" X 4" rolls of newspaper, tied in the middle with string and submerged in melted parafin wax. They burn for a good while.

NeverMore1701
05-02-2012, 19:35
We used to do something similar with ~3/4" X 4" rolls of newspaper, tied in the middle with string and submerged in melted parafin wax. They burn for a good while.

I like the fact that I can wrap half a dozen of 'em in aluminium foil and they're smaller than a can of Skoal.

TangoFoxtrot
05-03-2012, 04:42
New ideas great. Whatever works in a pinch.

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-03-2012, 06:41
We used to make our own, instead of cotton balls I used dryer lint.. for wax, old candle bottoms etc.. they do work good.

But I had reason to try a product called super cedars, and have stuck with them now for the last couple seasons. We had lots of cold starts with the stove this winter since it was not really cold enough to keep the stove running 24/7 near as much as usuall.

Bilbo Bagins
05-03-2012, 07:15

Yea, I do the same with Cotton balls dipped in parafin wax. Much better then cottonb balls and petroleum jelly. I use dryer lint to start fires, but if it getsoutside and the lint gets wet, you are screwed.

Just a warning to my S&P friends. My wife has on of those Parafin warmer things that you use to dip your hands in. It makes the job of making waxy cotton balls easy.

Just don't let your wife catch you :whistling:

I'll have to try the cotton rounds, since my wife has those laying around too.

Babynine
05-03-2012, 08:41
Cotton balls soaked Peanut oil works well for me. I can fit 8-12 in a very small size prescription bottle(depending on size of cotton balls). I have carried them that way for over a year with no problems, and they burn very hot, for a very long time. They also light on the first strike from my firesteel every time.

They can also be used to oil my carbon Mora knives and Gransfors Bruks axe to keep them from rusting.

Peanut oil contains more energy than gasoline, is safe to carry in a pack, and is food grade. I myself have not done a side by side with petrolium jelly cotton balls, but someone I spoke to about it did go ahead and do a side by side of peanut oil vs petrolium jelly after I mentioned it to him. He found that the peanut oil burned both hotter and longer vs petrolium jelly.

I am suprised that so far, I have never heard of anyone else using veggie oils on cotton balls as a emergency firestarter. It works great for me, and I always have them, a 1oz bottle of peanut oil, and another 1oz bottle of Rem oil in my pack.

Credit goes to Alton Brown of Food Network about 10 years ago on an episode about grilling with natural lump charcoal and a Weber Chimney. He used a paper towel with a capfull of veggie oil to light his Weber.

Toyman
05-03-2012, 09:04
Cotton balls soaked Peanut oil works well for me. ...Peanut oil contains more energy than gasoline, is safe to carry in a pack, and is food grade.....

Hmmmm, might have to experiment with that. Another bonus is that in a BOB it could be used to lightly oil a cooking pan or surface.

NeverMore1701
05-03-2012, 10:06
Interesting, I'll have to try the peanut oil. I do like that the wax is more stable, won't leak if the container is cracked or something.

Babynine
05-03-2012, 10:35
Remember Rudolf Diesel designed his Diesel engine to run on peanut oil.....and for this he was found floating face down in a river.

Hope I dont upset anyone who believes firestarters need to be difficult to make or somethin'.....or someone selling them:whistling:

auto-5
05-03-2012, 14:54
I just carry a section of news paper with me.

G29Reload
05-03-2012, 15:55
Remember Rudolf Diesel designed his Diesel engine to run on peanut oil.....and for this he was found floating face down in a river.

Nope. Ocean.

The reason for his death is a mystery, but suicide seems to be the likeliest.

Protus
05-04-2012, 04:52
i got rid of my cotton balls and p-jelly years ago in favor of cotton balls cut in half and soaked in candle wax. They burn longer. plus once cut in half they are just the right size to ration out for fire's and burn enough to get the job done.

eracer
05-04-2012, 05:47
Anyone ever try tampons?

RichJ
05-04-2012, 09:38
How does a cotton ball dipped in wax take a spark from a fero rod?

I have a little 35mm film canister that has about 15 p-jellyed cotton balls stuffed in it. It's a proven winner and has never failed me.

Deputydave
05-05-2012, 12:02
Cotton balls soaked Peanut oil works well for me. I can fit 8-12 in a very small size prescription bottle(depending on size of cotton balls). I have carried them that way for over a year with no problems, and they burn very hot, for a very long time. They also light on the first strike from my firesteel every time.

They can also be used to oil my carbon Mora knives and Gransfors Bruks axe to keep them from rusting.

Peanut oil contains more energy than gasoline, is safe to carry in a pack, and is food grade. I myself have not done a side by side with petrolium jelly cotton balls, but someone I spoke to about it did go ahead and do a side by side of peanut oil vs petrolium jelly after I mentioned it to him. He found that the peanut oil burned both hotter and longer vs petrolium jelly.

I am suprised that so far, I have never heard of anyone else using veggie oils on cotton balls as a emergency firestarter. It works great for me, and I always have them, a 1oz bottle of peanut oil, and another 1oz bottle of Rem oil in my pack.

Credit goes to Alton Brown of Food Network about 10 years ago on an episode about grilling with natural lump charcoal and a Weber Chimney. He used a paper towel with a capfull of veggie oil to light his Weber.

This is a really good tip, thank you. And as mentioned, has more than one possible use. This makes it ideal for a survival situation. The more things we have that can pull double, triple or more duty the better.
:wavey:

malleable
05-05-2012, 15:39
tagged for good ideas!