One in Seven thinks End of World is Coming: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : One in Seven thinks End of World is Coming:

Ramjet38
05-02-2012, 17:20
Do I beleive the end of world is coming? No, but...

The more important question is are you prepared?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/01/us-mayancalendar-poll-idUSBRE8400XH20120501

Roering
05-02-2012, 17:48
Do I beleive the end of world is coming? No, but...

The more important question is are you prepared?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/01/us-mayancalendar-poll-idUSBRE8400XH20120501

I believe it. I have no clue as to when though.

Glock 1
05-02-2012, 17:50
I sure hope so, and soon. :)

GreenDrake
05-02-2012, 17:52
One in seven is delusional.

Geko45
05-02-2012, 18:08
One in Seven thinks End of World is Coming

And I bet that at least that one in seven aren't voting for long term scientific research.

:whistling:

Ramjet38
05-02-2012, 18:11
I believe it. I have no clue as to when though.

Maybe I should restate my stance. You are correct in your statement, but are you prepared?

bowtie454
05-02-2012, 18:20
Anyone who DOESN'T think the end of the world (at least as we know it) isn't coming is delusional. At some point, the sun will cease generating energy. If the world isn't hit by a large asteroid by that time, or a man-made cataclysmic event (i.e. nuclear/biological war) hasn't happened, then that will be the end. Gonna happen at some point, but I don't lose any sleep over it :)

Gunhaver
05-02-2012, 18:29
I'm one of the one in seven. Can't stop the supernova. I like to think we've got some time yet...

Geko45
05-02-2012, 18:32
Ahem... The one in seven stat is for folks that believe it will come in their lifetime.

JK-linux
05-02-2012, 18:38

Guss
05-02-2012, 19:09
I remember reading an article on the Bush staff and their fundamentalism. The writers theorized that perhaps the Bush interest in Middle East war and his lack of interest in preserving natural resources and the environment was based on a view that Biblical Armageddon was close at hand, so they had best prepare for that and let other things slide. Sure, that's just speculation, but when you get that mentality running things, who knows what it might lead to.

wrenrj1
05-02-2012, 19:15
How does this impact 3 out of 4 dentists recommend dentine gum? If I'm in the other group, well, I'll bypass dental care.

GreenDrake
05-02-2012, 19:22
Guess we should have clarified WHEN. Yes the world is coming to an end, could be tomorrow, could be 500 billion years. Not really worried about it. For the doomsday nuts, if you truly believe it is coming, can I have all your stuff? I mean, you believe it right? So if it doesn't happen can I test your faith ahead of time?

To the OP's question, well...it doesn't really matter if the end is coming, nobody is going to make it out alive and there is no god so why waste the time worrying about it? "prepared" being the loaded part of the question, right?

ArtificialGrape
05-02-2012, 19:49
This book details some possible scenarios.

Death from the Skies!: These Are the Ways the World Will End . . .:Amazon:Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BCAMY8q8L.@@AMEPARAM@@51%2BCAMY8q8L

-ArtificialGrape

Ramjet38
05-02-2012, 19:57
To the OP's question, well...it doesn't really matter if the end is coming, nobody is going to make it out alive and there is no god so why waste the time worrying about it? "prepared" being the loaded part of the question, right?

Ding! Correct. It wasn't a survival survey.

juggy4711
05-02-2012, 20:38
So basically 1 in 7 people are completely delusional. My guess is that 1 in 7 people actually want the world to end.

Gunhaver
05-02-2012, 21:07
Ahem... The one in seven stat is for folks that believe it will come in their lifetime.

Oops, count me back among the rational again.

Japle
05-03-2012, 06:55
Posted by Gunhaver:
I'm one of the one in seven. Can't stop the supernova.
The Sun is a yellow dwarf star. Yellow dwarf stars donít go supernova. They donít have enough mass. They donít go nova, either. Theyíre very stable.

Eventually, the Sun will run out of fuel and expand into a red giant. Earth will be destroyed. By then, Skynet will have wiped us out.

Roering
05-03-2012, 10:08
Maybe I should restate my stance. You are correct in your statement, but are you prepared?

For the end of the world? How does one prepare for that? All the bottled water, MRE's, clothing, medical supplies and firearms in the world couldn't help me if the end of the world is coming.

Roering
05-03-2012, 10:10
This book details some possible scenarios.

Death from the Skies!: These Are the Ways the World Will End . . .:Amazon:Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0670019976/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1336009510&sr=8-2)

-ArtificialGrape

Bed time reading for my kids.

Geko45
05-03-2012, 10:13

I typically ascribe this sort of thinking to a fear of death. People would rather believe that the endtimes are coming and that they will be swept up into the sky without ever having to die. It's just a way to block out day to day thoughts of their own mortality.

ArtificialGrape
05-03-2012, 10:18
Bed time reading for my kids.

Perfect companion to "if I should die before I wake". :cool:

Vic Hays
05-03-2012, 10:19
Not with an asteroid, not with a supernova, not with nuclear warfare.

II Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

Roering
05-03-2012, 13:31
Not with an asteroid, not with a supernova, not with nuclear warfare.

II Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Sounds like the result of a supernova or nuclear warfare to me.:dunno:

Woofie
05-03-2012, 14:01
Anyone who DOESN'T think the end of the world (at least as we know it) isn't coming is delusional. At some point, the sun will cease generating energy. If the world isn't hit by a large asteroid by that time, or a man-made cataclysmic event (i.e. nuclear/biological war) hasn't happened, then that will be the end. Gonna happen at some point, but I don't lose any sleep over it :)

There is still the possibility that the earth will escape as the sun grows and loses mass.

It probably won't survive the collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda, though.

Even if we make it through that, there is always the big freeze to deal with as the universe continues to expand.

We're screwed.

Geko45
05-03-2012, 15:41
It probably won't survive the collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda, though.

Actually, it's thought that direct object collisions as we meet Andromeda will be exceedingly rare. It'll be more like passing through a sieve for us.

Kinda of an interesting example of how two objects behave as if they are solid when they are actually mostly empty space. The galaxies will "collide" and destory each other, but the individual bodies that make them up will just pass each other quietly. It's a good analogy for the quantum scale as opposed to our scale as we too are composed primarily of empty space (no matter how solid we may seem).

Lone Wolf8634
05-03-2012, 15:48
At least that means that 6 out of seven people are still relatively rational.

(at least on this subject anyway...)

Ramjet38
05-03-2012, 17:43
For the end of the world? How does one prepare for that? All the bottled water, MRE's, clothing, medical supplies and firearms in the world couldn't help me if the end of the world is coming.

Being prepared had nothing to do with survival, but of preparing your soul. I know most here don't think that way, and totally missed the point.

I also see that very few here are prepared even though most everyone thinks it will eventually happen, end of times that is.

juggy4711
05-03-2012, 21:51
Actually, it's thought that direct object collisions as we meet Andromeda will be exceedingly rare. It'll be more like passing through a sieve for us.

Kinda of an interesting example of how two objects behave as if they are solid when they are actually mostly empty space. The galaxies will "collide" and destory each other, but the individual bodies that make them up will just pass each other quietly. It's a good analogy for the quantum scale as opposed to our scale as we too are composed primarily of empty space (no matter how solid we may seem).

That's a trip isn't it. If not for the strong/weak ( i forget which) and the electromagnetic force that empty space would matter a whole lot more. (Or maybe its just the EM) I've had some "spirits" that interfere with my thought processes.

Vic Hays
05-03-2012, 23:04
Being prepared had nothing to do with survival, but of preparing your soul. I know most here don't think that way, and totally missed the point.

I also see that very few here are prepared even though most everyone thinks it will eventually happen, end of times that is.

:wavey:

Luke 9:24 For whoever will save his life shall lose it: but whoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

void *
05-03-2012, 23:49

Do you need direct object collisions? I suppose it depends on how you define "destroy".

MadMonkey
05-04-2012, 00:58
Of course the end is coming. The question is when.

Geko45
05-04-2012, 07:20
Do you need direct object collisions? I suppose it depends on how you define "destroy".

Not at all and in this instance "destroy" would just mean a permanent disruption of each galaxies existing orbital system. It's thought that the two will congeal into a new elliptical galaxy which might well reform into some new/larger spiral galaxy given enough time.

The point being, for any star/planetary system involved in the "collision" it will be a meaningless event. It would be like the atoms in a car not being affected by the head on crash with another car.

Woofie
05-04-2012, 08:19
Not at all and in this instance "destroy" would just mean a permanent disruption of each galaxies existing orbital system. It's thought that the two will congeal into a new elliptical galaxy which might well reform into some new/larger spiral galaxy given enough time.

The point being, for any star/planetary system involved in the "collision" it will be a meaningless event. It would be like the atoms in a car not being affected by the head on crash with another car.

But the people in the car still get squished . . .

Geko45
05-04-2012, 08:21
But the people in the car still get squished . . .

but their atoms don't.

:cool:

Glock30Eric
05-04-2012, 08:22
I don't think the end of the world is coming soon. I do think the world as we know is coming to an end soon.

Jesus' 2nd return with the great judgment is coming at anytime. Always be ready for him.

Woofie
05-04-2012, 08:31
but their atoms don't.

:cool:

No! You're wrong!:rofl:

Woofie
05-04-2012, 08:37
I don't think the end of the world is coming soon. I do think the world as we know is coming to an end soon.

Jesus' 2nd return with the great judgment is coming at anytime. Always be ready for him.

Doesn't the "world as we know it" end somewhat frequently? The Magna Carta, colonization of America, French Revolution, WW2, Cuban Missile Crisis, 9/11. I'd argue those all ended the world as it was previously known.

Geko45
05-04-2012, 08:41
No! You're wrong!:rofl:

Blasphemer!

:tongueout:

Glock30Eric
05-04-2012, 08:52
Doesn't the "world as we know it" end somewhat frequently? The Magna Carta, colonization of America, French Revolution, WW2, Cuban Missile Crisis, 9/11. I'd argue those all ended the world as it was previously known.

Not that frequently.

Collapse of Egyptian Empire
Collapse of Roman Empire
Collapse of Britian Empire
Reformation Faith (Martin Luther's Era)
Industry Revolution
Civil War
Cold War Era (Nuclear Race)
Internet Revolution

carbuncle
05-04-2012, 09:00
The world, defined as human society and presence on the planet we call Earth, will definitely end and we will all definitely die. Whether the two coincide...possible, but improbable.

Am I prepared? Well, I've got a couple of weeks worth of food and medical supplies laid in and right at the moment I think there are a couple thousand mixed caliber rounds in my safe but beyond that, I don't see the need: if there were to be an extinction-level event it would be difficult to predict what would happen and how it would play out. You could drive yourself crazy and bankrupt preparing for any eventuality, only to have one mistake negate your preps (Harvey's family in Lucifer's Hammer comes to mind as an example) when the SHTF.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

SouthpawShooter
05-04-2012, 15:20
Why is this surprising to anyone?

Haven't you noticed, that the average person is an idiot?

Isn't there some retarded statistic about 1 in 20 people thinking Elvis is still alive or something?

If that doesn't convince you, didn't something in the neighborhood of 1 in 2 people vote for 0bummer?*

*(give or take up to 3% points- contest was decided on electoral, not popular vote)

jay-bird
05-04-2012, 15:25
I am prepared. I have a skateboard hovercraft. I got it after Back to the Future II.

Hovering above it all. Eating a cheeseburger.

void *
05-04-2012, 15:49

I was thinking about a definition of 'destroy' with respect to humanity.

Of course, that would require that we find some way to even exist up to that point - like figuring out how to safely alter our orbit so we make it past the point where the sun would boil our water off.

But if you get there ... some gravitational effect of the collisions disrupting the oort cloud. Or something like that. Although I suppose that's really 'direct collisions', just not requiring direct impact of object A from one galaxy with Object B from the other.

But I think I went and read that event that kind of thing is probably not all that likely.

And then I thought - "Analogy for galaxies colliding - two shotguns trying to hit each other's birdshot ..."

Anyway, I'm rambling, I guess I can stop now :D

Alizard
05-08-2012, 15:34

Jesus' 2nd return with the great judgment is coming at anytime. Always be ready for him.Problem is He is not coming first, the anti Christ is and he will be claiming to be Christ and most will follow him. As it says, you will see the one who looks like the lamb but speaks with the voice of the dragon.

There will be a devastating war in the middle east, the world will be in chaos, and the anti christ will come to "bring peace" back to the earth and create the one world order.... the order that follows him. Those who believe they will "fly away" will follow him.

muscogee
05-08-2012, 16:37

He's a little late.
Matthew 243 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

jtull7
05-08-2012, 18:15
One in seven are stupid idiots.

creaky
05-08-2012, 18:58
we too are composed primarily of empty space.

Some more than others, it seems.

Geko45
05-08-2012, 19:46
Some more than others, it seems.

No need for an inferiority complex. You can still live a productive life.

creaky
05-08-2012, 20:55
No need for an inferiority complex. You can still live a productive life.

Lol. That's the least of my problems.

I've been cutting you slack because of the USAF icon and your obvious brass, driving a tin and fabric tail dragger around. Salute.

juggy4711
05-08-2012, 21:14
Lol. That's the least of my problems.

I've been cutting you slack because of the USAF icon and your obvious brass, driving a tin and fabric tail dragger around. Salute.

Pfft. We are made of mostly empty space which you took as an opportunity to insult Gecko45 and that's cutting him slack because he served in the military? Way to salute his service.

Just because you're too dense to get it, oh wait...:whistling: