I want to take the designer of the Ruger Mark III to the range and... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I want to take the designer of the Ruger Mark III to the range and...

Big Dog Dad
05-03-2012, 10:01
I have never had so much trouble with disassembly/reassembly of a pistol in my life. One time everything clicks back together with no problems; this time I'm about ready to hit this thing with a 16# sledge. I'll get that POS back together or use it as a very expensive door stop. I'd really like to take that Ruger designer to the range and use him as a target backstop. My rant is over!

-=BDD=-

irishbum
05-03-2012, 13:56
Really? Seems pretty easy to me? :whistling:

Ruger MK III 22 45 Fieldstrip ( disassemble & reassemble ) made easy - YouTube

I hated mine too til after watch'n video and made it all so much easier do.
Also if you take out the mag disconnect and replace it with the Mark II bushing it makes it easier. Keeps you from having to do the whole mag in and out thing.

Alizard
05-03-2012, 14:14
I have never had so much trouble with disassembly/reassembly of a pistol in my life. One time everything clicks back together with no problems; this time I'm about ready to hit this thing with a 16# sledge. I'll get that POS back together or use it as a very expensive door stop. I'd really like to take that Ruger designer to the range and use him as a target backstop. My rant is over!

-=BDD=-A lady at the range had a Mk III we could not get apart. I have smithed Mk II's for many years, still have no idea what was up with that gun. They ended up sending it back to Ruger. Funny how prices of used Mk II's went up after they brought out the Mk III...

eracer
05-03-2012, 14:38
You mean the MKIII is harder to reassemble than my MKII?

The horror....

rilkil23
05-03-2012, 14:41
I feel the same way you do. I may never take it apart again. Love shooting it but cleaning it sucks.

sgtlmj
05-03-2012, 15:14
It's MUCH easier after removing the goofy mag safety.

JaPes
05-03-2012, 16:29
Disassembly & Reassembly is easy-peasy. I don't know what y'all are complaining about. Just follow all the steps in order.

3rdgen40
05-03-2012, 16:51
RTFM......it's not rocket science.Hell, I have even detail stripped mine.

TxGun
05-03-2012, 18:39
While reading (and following) the instructions is typically "the last resort" for many people, that's not a good option when it comes to the Mark series. If you follow instructions precisely, it's really not hard to reassemble these guns. And yes, they are tight...but that beats the alternative, IMO.

GSSF17
05-03-2012, 18:51
While reading (and following) the instructions is typically "the last resort" for many people, that's not a good option when it comes to the Mark series. If you follow instructions precisely, it's really not hard to reassemble these guns. And yes, they are tight...but that beats the alternative, IMO.

For many, the "alternative" is a Browning Buckmark- which is MUCH easier to... well, everything. Shoot, clean, modify, you name it. Easier and with a better outcome. I have MK Is, IIs, and a III, and don't get me wrong, they are great pistols. I love mine.

I'd be interested to see if the OP could break down a Browning buckmark and clean it, then reassemble, just to see what he thinks. Way easier than an Mk series, IMO. Just sayin.

Bob Hafler
05-03-2012, 18:54
That video is a good one. Pretty much says it all. The only thing that is different on my MKIII 22/45 RP target is to get the mainspring housing back in you must remove the mag. to get that little lever back in the grip.

Like he says to many people are making it harder than it needs to be.

El_Ron1
05-03-2012, 20:16
The incessant caterwaulin' is entertaining.

JD_19x9
05-03-2012, 20:42
Most pistols you can break down without reading the instructions. With Rugers, not only do you have to read the instructions, you have to watch a video... :wow:

The field strip should be simple, you should not need tools...

dooga
05-03-2012, 21:57
To quote YouTube: "It gets better"

The trick is getting the dangling pin thing to fall just right when you're trying to snap the backstrap clip back in in the end.

YouTube if your friend.

jeager
05-04-2012, 00:38
To quote YouTube: "It gets better"

The trick is getting the dangling pin thing to fall just right when you're trying to snap the backstrap clip back in in the end.

YouTube if your friend.

Yeah,
IIRC youse turns the gun up-sidezy - down
to get that hangny thingy in the right po-si-tionne.
:tongueout:

El_Ron1
05-04-2012, 17:44
I don't want y'all to ever try changin' your own oil.

Alizard
05-04-2012, 22:38
I rebuilt a KZ-750 motor from the ground up and it was less of a pain than a Mk III.

You should see what used Mk II's sell for out here. I have built three of those with all VQ parts. You couldn't give me a Mk III.

TxGun
05-04-2012, 23:09
Read the instructions and follow them to the letter. Far too many people have zero problems with reassembly for it to be some mysterious science or a particular brand of magic. Once you understand the process, it's easy. If it's not, reassess your mechanical apptitude.

tcruse
05-04-2012, 23:20
Yes, it can be reassembled y following the directions or the video. It has a lot of places where things can be moved to the wrong place and prevent success. New they are very tit and that makes things worse. Removing the mag safety makes assembly like the mark ii, much more straight forward. Even the sales person would not show the process.

I just replaced the hammer bushing tonight. Will take to range shortly and see of everything still works.

Big Dog Dad
05-05-2012, 08:12
I have no problem with the procedure. I've done it many times before, but this time, the pin that goes up through the frame, bolt, and top wouldn't start no matter what I did. I finally got a mallet and a thin punch and was able to wiggle the punch in there and give it a tap to get it going. After that everything went together fine. I don't know what the hangup was, but I still think it is an awkward design. Good pistol, but awkward design. I still want to take the designer out and ...

-=BDD=-

vram74
05-05-2012, 09:02
Got rid of mine. Accurate pistol but boring to shoot. Sure I could spend $20 and shoot all day, but never enjoyed it. Read instructions, watched videos, did everything to the letter and never could get the upper off the frame. When you are told by the manufacturer to whack the back of your gun with a mallet repeatedly, something went wrong somewhere designing the firearm. There are things that could be changed to make it better, but Ruger isn't going to bother. It's not like they don't hear the complaints.

MadMonkey
05-05-2012, 09:29
This is why I like my Beretta 948.

Alizard
05-05-2012, 15:12
Read the instructions and follow them to the letter. Far too many people have zero problems with reassembly for it to be some mysterious science or a particular brand of magic. Once you understand the process, it's easy. If it's not, reassess your mechanical apptitude.All I know is, the owner of the one Mk III I worked on tried to disassemble it per instructions and it got so jammed up nobody could get ANYTHING to move. Eventually, we had all five of use from the bullseye shooting league working on it (two of us gunsmiths capable of blueprinting a Mk II) and we could not get it freed up. Gave it back to the owner of the range (bought it there) and he gave up. Gun had to be shipped back to Ruger.

RIDICULOUS!

Bob Hafler
05-05-2012, 17:27
If you can't read and follow instructions and watch and understand the video's on how to take five pieces apart and put back together, then yes maybe you should not buy a Ruger MKIII. No it will not fall apart like a Glock when it comes to field stripping. Yes it will take some thought, but it's not the rocket science, or the PITA some seem to make it sound.. Good grief guys it's five pieces that have to go back together in a certain sequence. :dunno:

itstime
05-05-2012, 17:37
The reason I don't own a MK is because of reading postske this.

doc540
05-05-2012, 18:08
Don't even imply that I'm mechanically incompetent.

I've owned 14 used BMW's and do most of my own work.

Trust me, I know the meaning of "over engineered".

Not only did I sell my first Ruger Mk, when I was considering a rimfire semi for my training classes I avoided it like the plague. It should win the Rube Goldberg Memorial Citation.

Ruger SR22? Now, that's how things are supposed to work.

Alizard
05-05-2012, 18:29
If you can't read and follow instructions and watch and understand the video's on how to take five pieces apart and put back together, then yes maybe you should not buy a Ruger MKIII. No it will not fall apart like a Glock when it comes to field stripping. Yes it will take some thought, but it's not the rocket science, or the PITA some seem to make it sound.. Good grief guys it's five pieces that have to go back together in a certain sequence. :dunno:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. All this talk about Mk III reassembly problems is just hot air.

Okay, my Ruger Mark III 22/45 has been giving me some problems lately.

One day after shooting about 100rnds through it I disassembled (which I've done many, many times before), cleaned, and began reassembly but the main mainspring housing assembly wouldn't slide all the way up through the frame for some reason... I let my dad take a look at it and he thought he "fixed" it.

Turns out this wasn't the case. I was about to go shoot it again and realized the safety wouldn't move from the firing position. Anyways, a few weeks went by trying a few different things and to shorten things I'll just get to it.

...I got the gun back together but the bolt is no longer as smooth and sticks when wracked back. Once I noticed this I tried to take it back apart, but now the mainspring housing assembly is stuck in the fame and I can only pull it out about a quarter of an inch.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/65796-problems-my-ruger-mark-iii-22-45-need-help.html

Somehow I did it wrong, and now I can't insert magazines into the gun because the tiny little latch at the bottom of that part, that folds into the main grip of the gun, the latch is too high or something and so I can't insert a magazine past an inch. And it's stuck now, the part, and I can't remove it more than a tiny bit, the rest is stuck in the gun. When I do undo that little latch and pull it out, I can put a magazine in. Help?

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/42079-help-ruger-mark-3-22-45-problem-reassembly.html

I have always had problems with disassembly and reassembly of my Ruger 22/45 MK III. I have had to call Ruger 2 TIMES to get this thing back together. I got fed up with it and put it away for awhile. I recently brought it out to clean it to start shooting steel. When I went to swing the main spring housing out of the back strap, it would not swing up. The last time I put it back together was when it called Ruger. Does anyone have any suggestions?

MK III disassembly/reassembly problem
Despite my best efforts to follow Iowegan's manual, I missed a step somewhere. As a result, I left the magazine in during disassembly. Now the mag won't drop out, and I can't get the bolt back in.

I never did manage to get the receiver off the grip frame.

The pistol is brand new--less than 300 rounds through it.

Any suggestions for getting that mag out? If I could get the pistol back together, I could start over. . . .

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/1687-mk-iii-disassembly-reassembly-problem.html

So after shooting my Mk III yesterday, I went to disassemble it today to clean it and ran into a problem almost immediately. After opening the rear springed lever, it wont pull out of separate from the handle. It rotates out about half inch and is still sprung but wont pull out any further.

Glad to hear I'm not the only only with a "problem" field stripping a Ruger. I just bought a new Mark III 22/45 and went to disassemble it for the initial cleaning before taking it to the range. I already have a Ruger Mark III SS Hunter that I have field stripped a few times with only a few hitches, so felt fairly confident, followed the instructions to the letter I beleive, got as far as starting to take the barrel off of the base and it would not move.

Ruger Mark III Problem
I am having a problem with a Ruger Mark III (678) target pistol. I received it new in the box as a birthday present (woot!) this week so I wanted to clean it before I went to the range. Two hours later I finally got it disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. I can't believe a rubber mallett is required to do this!

After assembling the pistol while carefully following the directions, the hammer will not stay cocked. The bolt retracts and locks properly. However, when it travels forward it sounds like the hammer immediately falls. I've taken it apart and put it back together several times with the same result. I'm pretty sure that I've properly placed the hammer strut but who knows. I haven't even fired it yet!!!

Ruger Mark III .22 Problems.......
I am trying to disassemble this pistol for the first time and I am running into some problems.

I was able to get the mainspring housing out once, but then I put it back in.

Now trying to get it out again it wont come out for anything.

I think the reason is the hammer is cocked. But now it wont decock!

I put an empty mag in, safety off, and pull the trigger and nothing happens, the hammer wont come down and therefore I cant get it apart.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

Bob Hafler
05-06-2012, 05:41
Like I said if it's to tough to take apart and reassemble then your right don't buy the Ruger MKIII.

Personally I think it's a great little plinker that doesn't need to be taken apart very often. I'm also aware that many people can't/won't follow directions. Then when they get into trouble it's the guns problem. Sometimes it might be the gun but I know guys who have never taken it apart and it still works fine. They also never did some of these half a**ed upgrades some people do to these MK pistols.

tcruse
05-06-2012, 06:58
I agree that it can be reassembled bby rolling the directions. It is not handy to insert the mags several times during the process. It is an issue that will make the gun not suitable for some people.
Removing the mag safety fixs the problem. It also is nice to not have to pry the mag out on every reload. The gun should come with both hammers and buffers or have an optional mag safety. I suspect that the whole problem is a result of bad regulations in some states.
Actually the mag safety is not something that you want to train shooters to rely on. It probably will encourage more unintended discharges overall. I do like the gun overall.

Bob Hafler
05-06-2012, 09:48
I believe they put these safety features on 22's because many beginers usually start with 22's. That and to get past some states goofy laws. When it comes to the MK series of pistols by Ruger I guess I just don't get this defeatist attitude or the fear of buying a pistol because it takes a little thought and effort to break down and reassemble. People these are fine little pistols that will keep you entertained for years. Like I mentioned I have friends who have never broken them down and they've owned and shot them for a long time. I also have another friend who's (I think) 12 year old son can have it apart and back together in a matter of minutes. People seem to think these are high maintenance pistols and there not. Many times a little CLP on a round barrel type brush, a 3/8" airtist brush and a 22 caliber boresnake is all you need.

doc540
05-06-2012, 10:07
"I just don't get this defeatist attitude or the fear of buying a pistol because it takes a little thought and effort to break down and reassemble."

As a training pistol getting industrial use, why would I want to buy a tool that takes more "thought and effort" to service than another Ruger which takes less of the same?

fer instance:
Just from a mechanical point of view, if one was living in jungle-like conditions why would one carry a Luger when a 1911 was available?

finally:
Many MkIII Ruger owners prefer them. Congrats and enjoy what you like. However, many others obviously don't prefer the Mk's mechanical design. What's "not to get" about that?

To each his own. Live and let live.

Bob Hafler
05-06-2012, 11:14
I agree. Refer to first sentence in reply 28.

MoNsTeR
05-06-2012, 21:07
Just clean the damned thing less often. It's a .22!

doc540
05-06-2012, 22:39
Just clean the damned thing less often. It's a .22!

I can understand not cleaning the barrel of a .22, but my experience has been that most .22LR ammo is among the dirtiest of the dirty and not cleaning the action causes problems.

toshbar
05-06-2012, 23:28
The inside of my 22/45 is fully coated with powder. It's nasty, but I'm not going to clean it any time soon.

The only reason I cleaned it last time was because after about 6000 rounds, there was so much gunk in the extractor groove, the extractor wouldn't even touch the rim of the case to yank it out of the chamber....20 sec with a dental pick fixed that.

Camu Mahubah
05-07-2012, 15:17
RUGER MARK III FIELDSTRIP (CLOSE UP) - YouTube

I had a bunch of trouble until I watched this vid...granted mine is a regular mkIII target model but assembly is the same. You will need a non-marking punch. I used a pencil. I'm looking for a non-marking punch. My buddy was gonna make me one out of soft brass buy I haven't seen it yet. Oh and a plastic or rubber mallet.

Mine is way way tight! I hope after a few teardowns it loosens up. And yes I would recommend the Buck Mark to noobs...

SpectreRider
05-07-2012, 23:43
Satan offered Bill Ruger the perfect .22 rimfire pistol design in exchange for his soul.
Bill asked for a sample, saw how to build the perfect .22 but the devil pulled away the plans before he saw how to handle takedown.

And then Bill refused to make the deal.

And the MK I was the result.

The solution has been invented though.

http://www.majesticarms.com/index.html

countrygun
05-08-2012, 00:06
I learned how to take apart and reassemble a Ruger Standard auto at 13 way before people bragged about how much smarter their generation was because they have computers.

I have heard people complain about the Sigpro series because, unlike the other SIGs you have to actually pull a pin out like an "Old 1911" Oh the horror!

A gun with more than 6 moving parts is "too complicated" for our enlightened world today:upeyes: Is "progress making us mechanically inept? Is that really "progress"?

glide
05-08-2012, 04:47
I watched a YouTube video to figure out how to disassemble/assemble the Mark III and it was so simple to do. I in fact detailed strip mine and installed a trigger kit. It's nice to have the Internet and Google to help out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

toshbar
05-08-2012, 11:16
Mechanical declination stems from a lack of curiosity.

doc540
05-08-2012, 20:41
Simplicity is both functional and beautiful.

dudel
05-09-2012, 15:08
MKIII is the worst. That God for Otis and Boresnake (clean the gun without taking it apart!) Getting it apart isn't so bad (other than getting that stupid pin out of the bolt).

Getting it back togeter is/can be painful. Starting with getting the stupid pin back into the bolt, put the mag in, pulling the trigger, taking the mag out, tipping the gun, capturing the hammer strut in the swinging latch, etc, etc. What were they thinking!!! It did get easier when I disabled the magazine disconnect (don't have to remove/insert/remove the mag anymore for field stripping).

Good news is that it does get easier with time and practice.

I guess I'm just spoiled by Glock's easy takedown.

Faulkner
05-12-2012, 14:52
The field strip should be simple, you should not need tools...

It is and you don't.

I have three of them and I've not field stripped them in years. That's because I showed my son how to do it when he was 8 or 9 and now he field strips them and puts them back together for me after each shooting session. He'll be graduating high school in the next year or so and I'll have to go back to doing it myself. :upeyes:

It's just not that hard.

countrygun
05-12-2012, 15:30
Don't even imply that I'm mechanically incompetent.

I've owned 14 used BMW's and do most of my own work.

Trust me, I know the meaning of "over engineered".

Not only did I sell my first Ruger Mk, when I was considering a rimfire semi for my training classes I avoided it like the plague. It should win the Rube Goldberg Memorial Citation.

Ruger SR22? Now, that's how things are supposed to work.

Well, I AM about as close to mechanically incompetent as you can get, and still be able to unlock a restroom stall door, and I still managed to learn how to strip a Ruger Standard at 13.

JaPes
05-12-2012, 16:03
I was at a Cabela's a few weeks ago, buying a S&W M&P 22. I finished filling out my part of the paperwork, looked over and there was a guy with a disassembled 22/45. I overheard him telling the salesman:

"I took it apart to clean it, and I can't get it back together again. I like the gun, it shoots great, but it won't go back together."

I didn't want to butt in, so I let the sales clerk try to address the issue. The sales clerk tried, but was unsuccessful. I then introduced myself, and asked both if it was ok for me to touch the disassembled 22/45.

I reassembled the 22/45, explaining each step of the process. Printed instructions are good. Online videos are better. All these guys needed was someone to show them, in person, how to do it. When I looked up, I had a few people standing around paying attention to the impromptu lesson.

I'm ambivalent about the magazine disconnect & LCI, I don't care. I do think Ruger added a stumbling block to an already confusing process with the magazine disconnect. The extra steps of inserting/removing a magazine is what trips up most people.

The Ruger MKIII series is a great .22lr pistol. It's unfortunate that the reassembly learning curve sours some folks on the pistol.

jarubla
05-12-2012, 22:06
The reason I don't own a MK is because of reading postske this.

I think you are missing out on a fine pistol. The youtube videos are a great help, as are following the same steps again and again when reassembling.

Go and shoot one with a buddy who has owned one for a few years to get a feel for one. I bet you if you ask him about disassembly, he'll mention how it is a bit of a PITA, but how it got better with time/experience/following the proper steps.

That being said, I will not apologize for the possibility of someone buggering up their own weapon. That one is always a possibility when someone is new to that weapon, etc.

Just my .02, and yes, I am a Ruger fanboy (as well as a Glock fanboy, and a Remington fanboy, and a colt fanboy, and, and and...I don't discriminate :cool:).

If anyone hates their standard/mark Ruger pistolas, send me a PM and I will make FFL arrangements to take it off your hands. :wavey:Seriously.

-Jay

sdsnet
05-12-2012, 23:23
Good thread. Tagged for later review.

Cole125
05-13-2012, 17:27
If you have problems disassembling/reassembling a Ruger MKIII you are mentally challenged, period.

Sorry, someone had to say it. I am not the most mechanically inclined guy in the world but I READ directs and have not had a problem with my MKIII.

El_Ron1
05-13-2012, 19:12
If you have problems disassembling/reassembling a Ruger MKIII you are mentally challenged, period.

Sorry, someone had to say it.

It had to be said.

http://www.ballsofsteelorfullretard.com/images/109.jpg

carloglock19
05-13-2012, 19:52
You have to follow the instruction manual to a T or watch a youtube video.

Alizard
05-14-2012, 13:15

Sorry, someone had to say it. I am not the most mechanically inclined guy in the world but I READ directs and have not had a problem with my MKIII.And that's a sample size of one which is statistically MEANINGLESS.

Many of the new ones are "fitted" so tight they have to be hammered to get the barrel on and off and my pet peeve: on many, it is impossible to force the plunger through the barrel assembly without beating on it. I have had to "taper" the mating surfaces on some so they could be put together without a hammer.

Some go together OK, some take some real hammering.

kibb
05-14-2012, 13:36

-=BDD=-

Box it up and send it to me. I'll take it off your hands. I've been hitting the stores trying to find one for about two months now and still haven't got one yet. Hell, I'll even pay shipping. 😉

dooga
05-14-2012, 14:06
Pretty much if you get a new MKIII, you should also buy a rubber mallet as well. Just part of the tools needed. And a flat head screwdriver.

Alizard
05-14-2012, 14:42
Pretty much if you get a new MKIII, you should also buy a rubber mallet as well. Just part of the tools needed. And a flat head screwdriver.Also a good, solid wooden bench to lay the muzzle on as you whack the receiver to get it to snap back together.

3rdgen40
05-14-2012, 15:12
Pretty much if you get a new MKIII, you should also buy a rubber mallet as well. Just part of the tools needed. And a flat head screwdriver.
I have not had to use a hammer or a screwdriver on mine.:dunno:

Bob Hafler
05-14-2012, 17:03

That's ok I like my new pistols to be a little on the tight side. Now the screw driver I have no idea what that's for.:dunno:

ChicagoZman
05-17-2012, 09:31
Paper clip and maybe a plastic mallet when brand new to get the barrel off but no need after a few dozen cleanings. That and following the steps. Always works for me.

What I learned early on is to have an understanding of what the various parts do and why. Once you understand how it operates, the assembly order makes sense.

jvbronco
05-17-2012, 20:27

I first bought a used MKIII 22 45 and quickly learned the procedure for assembly/ disassembly. I recently bought a brand new one (test fired exactly a month ago) and REALLY had to wack it with a mallet to get the barrel to unstick from the grip. I mean, I had to smack it hard. As MANY others have said, it just doesn't feel good hitting a brand new [anything] like that. However, I was able to get it to come off after a 100 round trip to the range and now it's just a very tight fit.

This thing is built like a tank so I am not worried about the wacking with a mallet (as per Ruger instructions), just have to be mindful of the sights so that I do not break those off with a misplaced swing of the mallet.

The sequence is one thing - fumble with it once and [most] people will quickly learn. The issue I had was the amount of force it took to get that barrel off.

Still - makes for an EXTREMELY fun day at the range when I can put 525 rounds on target with pin point accuracy for $19.95...

I had the beretta neos, my girlfriend has a bersa firestorm .22 (same form factor as the Bersa Thunder .380 and very fun to shoot), have owned a S&W 21A, and regularly shoot the Buckmark with a range buddy. The MKIII is my favorite (with the Buckmark being a close second).

Buford
05-19-2012, 18:01
I know how you feel, OP.

Try these videos:

Ruger Mark III Dis/Assembly - YouTube

Ruger MK III 22 45 Fieldstrip ( disassemble & reassemble ) made easy - YouTube

jvbronco
05-19-2012, 22:26

Lol - I had a used 22 45 that I was able to use in order to learn the reassembly procedure without all the banging (it was loose enough to dissemble/reassemble by hand). When I purchased my new 22 45, I stopped by the hardware store on my way home to pick up the rubber mallet because I knew I'd need it. Even with the mallet, I had to fire about 100 rounds before I could bang it apart.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

trigger45
06-10-2012, 06:32
got a buckmark, its better.

matt_lowry123
06-10-2012, 10:23
I feel your pain!!! There's those that can do it and those who can't. I fall under those who can't!!

Bilbo Bagins
06-12-2012, 07:25

-=BDD=-

I feel your pain. I think its a two part issue.

1) Ruger fan boys just think the MKIII is God's gift to .22 pistols, and simply think that any complaint of the gun is blasphemy. The MKIII is harder to reassemble then a AR, and the complicated 10 step reassembly procedure is simply ridiculous. Come on seriously, point up, point down, take out mag, reinsert mag.

2) Some MKIII are just tighter than others. Some can be done by hand, but others require the use of a plastic mallet. I had one of those, a Stainless MKIII standard with a 4" barrel. After the 5th reassembly I decided that the Gun was too much of a PITA to enjoy, so I got rid of it.

PhantomF4E
06-12-2012, 19:42
Put the ammo away grab a beer Look up the video Follow the video . Take the gun apart and put it back together , take the gun apart put it back together , take the gun apart put it back together, take the gun apart put it back together ..... It gets easier and easier once the parts wear in and you get familiar with the process. Do it until you are bored and it becomes muscle memory . You might as well the gun will live longer than you will.

mrsurfboard
06-15-2012, 00:21
Worst design ever!

mnhogrider
06-15-2012, 10:42
If anybody wants to buy a MK III and is holding off because of the field stripping horror stories (it's not that hard), then don't field strip it!

Hold it upside down with the bolt open and the magazine out and spray some aerosol brake cleaner. Watch the crud spray out, let drip-dry. When it's all evaporated, spray a little CLP, and wipe off any excess.

I wouldn't even muss with the barrel. Otherwise bore snake it.

You're good to go! It'll run fine this way.

Rod Ferro
06-25-2012, 18:41
Never had much trouble with mine. I usually only field strip it after every 3000 rounds or so and really it doesn't need it then. I think I read somewhere you really only need to field strip it every 10,000 rounds or if you have a problem.

micdude
06-29-2012, 22:32
I feal the pain first time it took me three days to get that thing back together on my mark III 22/45 :steamed: But now it takes me 15min to strip and put it back together; this really helped me:

http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

Best link ever for ruger pistols! I also had to whack the hell out of the barrel to remove it from the frame the first time.

But you got to love those ruger 22s very Addictive, here is a pic of mine:

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo43/micdude/ph2.jpg

JN01
06-30-2012, 10:50
I don't know why you would need to remove the barrel from the frame just to clean it. Take the bolt out and leave it at that.

mr_fender
07-02-2012, 22:23
It's no Glock when it comes to cleaning, but I've never had any problems stripping mine down. I will say that after removing that worthless turd of a magazine safety, the process is much quicker since I don't have to keep installing and removing the magazine. I am getting tired of those razor sharp corners on the receiver chewing holes in my fingers when I rack the bolt. Time to get out the files and cold blue.