Help with finding a mainspring housing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with finding a mainspring housing

Tim151515
05-04-2012, 05:19
Does anyone know where I can find either a grooved or checkered(I dont want a smoothe) mainspring housing with a GI style lanyard loop, like the one in this picture?

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/dkyancy/Firearms/KimberWarrior002.jpg

I have been looking all over the place for one and all I can seem to find for a flat mainspring housing is either smoothe, or the modern style Lanyard loop(like Wilson offers), which Im sure works great, but Im more going for the aesthetics to make my R1 look more "GIish," and yes I know they were smoothe back in the day, but I am willing to compromise that for a slightly better purchase on the handgun.

The only housings with checkers and loops I can find have the arched style housing, which I just am not a fan of at all. So, is there anyone out there who knows somewhere where I can find one? I have tried brownells midway and google with no luck. Thanks for any and all help.

1911Tuner
05-04-2012, 05:43
Smith & Alexander. Be aware that one of theirs occasionally comes with the pin hole mislocated or not drilled dead straight...so you may wind up returning it for an exchange. Not very common, but it has happened.

4Rules
05-04-2012, 10:54
Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12739/avs%7CManufacturer_1=SMITH%20zzxzz%20ALEXANDER/Product/1911-AUTO-LANYARD-LOOP-MAINSPRING-HOUSING)

cyrsequipment
05-04-2012, 11:41
deleted

Three-Five-Seven
05-04-2012, 17:24
Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12739/avs%7CManufacturer_1=SMITH%20zzxzz%20ALEXANDER/Product/1911-AUTO-LANYARD-LOOP-MAINSPRING-HOUSING)

This ^^^. Midway also has a good selection. I've never seen a smooth mainspring housing. The lanyard loop is cool until you slam a magazine home during competition. There's enough crap on a 1911 to bite the palm of your off-hand. Avoid the loop.

1911Tuner
05-05-2012, 03:48
This ^^^. Midway also has a good selection. I've never seen a smooth mainspring housing. The lanyard loop is cool until you slam a magazine home during competition. There's enough crap on a 1911 to bite the palm of your off-hand. Avoid the loop.

Smith & Alexander offers a flat, smooth housing with or without the lanyard ring. Avoiding the ring during a fast, forceful reload is a matter of knowing how. I do it all the time. A slam pad on the bottom of the magazine would take care of the problem anyway. And...Not everybody competes in IDPA/USPSA-type action shooting.

okie
05-05-2012, 06:36
I messed up bad one time, I used to own a Kimber Custom Covert and I wanted a MSH with out a lanyard loop. I bought one at a gun show and there was a gun smith at the show, I traded him the Kimber MSH for the labor to put the new one on. When I got home I found out that the Kimber MSH cost like 70 bucks. The GS got the better end of that deal.:upeyes: I did learn a lesson though:rofl::rofl: