Springfield Range Officer or Ruger SR1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Range Officer or Ruger SR1911

NCWalrus
05-04-2012, 05:24
I am currently shopping for my first 1911 and have it narrowed down to these two

Both are available in my area at relatively the same price ($720 vs $750)

That being said, which 1911 would you recommend? It will not be carried or used for competitions.

Thanks for your advice

bac1023
05-04-2012, 05:58
If the prices are that close, go with the Springfield.

okie
05-04-2012, 06:45
I've never seen an SR 1911 in person so I cant say anything about it, I sure love the hell out of my RO though:thumbsup:

Hurricanes
05-04-2012, 07:55
I haven't shot either of them, but have handled them. If prices were similar I'd jump on the Springfield. I was able to take one apart for a customer, and was amazed at how well built it was. Sure that doesn't sound like much seeing as how I carry a Rock Island, but the RO just great. Though I'm not trying to take anything away from the Ruger, it felt great when I saw it at a gun show last year(still kicking my ass for not buying it). But to me, you can't go wrong with the RO.
-Joel

okie
05-04-2012, 08:09
NCW here is a pic to make your mouth water:tongueout:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/okie1911/001.jpg

Three-Five-Seven
05-04-2012, 08:13
I own both of the guns you are asking about.

The Springfield is fully forged and robust. The Ruger comes with some whacky spring rates and not fully fitted parts.

I'm not saying the Ruger is a bad gun. But, the Springfield is smooth, has excellent customer service, and is 100% in the function department.

The Ruger is a good gun. If you only own one 1911, you'd do well to have it be a Springfield.

TN.Frank
05-04-2012, 09:17
That's a tough call. The Ruger is a gun that I'd love to own someday but the Springfield still has a spot on my list too. I don't think you could go far wrong with either gun but I'd have to give a slight edge to S.A., JMHO, YMMV.

fnfalman
05-04-2012, 09:51
I thought that the Range Officer was closer to a thousand bucks?

Anyway, if the prices are similar, I'd go with the Springfield. I'd take IMBEL forged frame over Ruger's cast frame.

TN.Frank
05-04-2012, 10:58
I thought that the Range Officer was closer to a thousand bucks?

Mark at Summit Gun Broker did have em' for $749 but he's currently out of stock.
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Range_Officer.html
Price will probably go up when he gets a new shipment.

faawrenchbndr
05-04-2012, 11:11
I'd have to pick the Springer,......but I HATE the target rear sight!

countrygun
05-04-2012, 11:21
I have to look at it this way: other than Ruger casting the plunger tube (for the safety and slide stop plungers) as a part of the frame they really didn't bring anything new to the 1911 table. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Ruger but Springfield has been making 1911s for a long time and making some pretty impressive ones at that. I also think that a lot of the Ruger sales are going to Ruger fanboys and to 1911 fans who collect "makes" of 1911. From all reports Ruger is making a great 1911 but you get your choice of how many models with how many options?

bac1023
05-04-2012, 11:39
Like I said above, the advantage Ruger would have over the Springfield is cost. When you take that away, there is really no reason to choose the Ruger.

I love the SR1911, but the RO is simply better.

TSAX
05-04-2012, 11:45

:agree:, I havent shot the Ruger but the RO is really nice, pretty good for out the box for around 700

Springfield 1911 Range Officer - YouTube

GunsAmerica TV/Blog - Springfield Range Officer - Rob Leatham - YouTube

:50cal:

Gary1911A1
05-04-2012, 14:11
One has adjustable target sights and the other fixed, but if that's not important to you go with the Springfield. Great 1911.

itstime
05-04-2012, 14:24
Go with the RO. And that isn't because of posts 2 and 3.

OrygunGen4
05-04-2012, 14:50
If the prices are that close, go with the Springfield.

What Bac said!!:supergrin:

Jason D
05-04-2012, 16:53
I have never had but one Ruger firearm that I didn't have a problem with.
Redhawks that would shoot loose, MKIII's that would stove pipe like crazy. 9mm, and .45 autos that wouldn't group to save their lives.

The good Ruger is a nearly 20 year old 22/45.

I have however had three Springfields that never posed much of a problem at all.
I wouldn't buy a Ruger 1911 unless it was cheap and used.

NCWalrus
05-04-2012, 17:09
Thanks to everyones advice

I will most likely opt for the RO

Thank you

fnfalman
05-04-2012, 20:56
but Springfield has been making 1911s for a long time and making some pretty impressive ones at that.

I just want to say that Springfield doesn't make squat. They import the guns and parts from IMBEL of Brazil.

I also think that a lot of the Ruger sales are going to Ruger fanboys and to 1911 fans who collect "makes" of 1911. From all reports Ruger is making a great 1911 but you get your choice of how many models with how many options?

I own many Ruger wheelguns and rifles. They were good for the price, but I don't know if Ruger is "all that" when it comes to true quality, especially with the fit & finish. I'll reserve my judgment until I see an SR1911 in real life. Heaven knows their Mattel Toys aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

countrygun
05-04-2012, 21:31
I just want to say that Springfield doesn't make squat. They import the guns and parts from IMBEL of Brazil.

I own many Ruger wheelguns and rifles. They were good for the price, but I don't know if Ruger is "all that" when it comes to true quality, especially with the fit & finish. I'll reserve my judgment until I see an SR1911 in real life. Heaven knows their Mattel Toys aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

The "NM" serialed Sprinfields are imported as rough forgings and completely "built" in the US.

Rinspeed
05-04-2012, 21:58
The "NM" serialed Sprinfields are imported as rough forgings and completely "built" in the US.

Sorry, but that is not even close.

glock2740
05-04-2012, 22:07
Ditto. :cool:

Jason D
05-05-2012, 16:17

They are forged and mostly finished down there.
They may not be put together or have their frame tangs cut yet. They are shipped here as parts and fitted by Springfield.

When you stop and think about it. They really don't make anything. Their 1911 parts come from Brazil. Some of the smaller components for their custom shop will come from US makers. Their XD line is built in Croatia. People may remember the 299 dollar HS2000.

Springfield bought the rights and slapped 200+ more dollars to the price.

Their M1a receivers used to be made by Lithgow in Australia. They may still be, I don't know.

Aside from building custom shop guns from parts sourced from all over. They really don't build anything. All that said. The guns that carry the Springfield name are good quality guns. Even their cheap guns are better quality than the competitors price pointed guns.

countrygun
05-05-2012, 17:26
Sorry, but that is not even close.

Really? Take a look at the following threads on the 'Net,

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-247357.html (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-247357.html)

http://pistolsmith.com/m1911-pistols/5377-springfield-armory-1911-a1-nm.html (http://pistolsmith.com/m1911-pistols/5377-springfield-armory-1911-a1-nm.html)

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=291676 (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=291676)

I will even put up the text from this one

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=49574 (http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=49574)

"
As questions about N and NM serial number prefixs and "Where is my pistol made?" are frequently asked, I figured a "sticky" on this topic would be warranted. A fellow member, Cliff731, did such an excellent job addressing another member's questions recently that, rather than write my own post, I plagiarized Cliff's post, only editing it slightly to address general questions rather than to a specific individual.

Thanks, Cliff, for being a sleep-deprived chatterbox!

Tom

Quote:

i've been saving money for a mil-spec for a long time. i've posted threads about my enthusiams. however, i was very disappointed when i saw "Brazil" engraved on the frames of mil-specs at my local gun shop.

This comes straight from Deb/Vicky at Springfield...
if > 50% of the work is done on one of their pistols in Brazil, then somewhere on that pistol it will be marked "Brazil". Should > 50% be done in Geneseo, IL, then it does not require a "Brazil" marking.

That is where the "MADE IN BRAZIL" rollmarks come from... placed above the serial number. That is one variety of markings that will show up on Springfield's G.I., Mil-Spec and Loaded pistols.

Another is the "Geneseo IL USA" found just above the serial number. There's essentially two common variants of this... for example, in the Mil-Spec line, if it has a N serial number prefix, you will find "IMBEL BRAZIL" or "FI BRAZIL" laser etched in two places. The locations are the bottom side of the dustcover and underneath the right grip panel on the frame. If you find a NM serial number prefix, those markings are usually always absent and the "GENESEO IL USA" rollmark still appears above the serial number on the frame.

Understand this part- ALL Springfield Armory 1911A1 pistols start their life in the forge presses of IMBEL in Brazil. There the frames, slides and barrels are forged... regardless of what markings are later applied or where the majority of the work is done.

Quote:

on the Springfield Armory website, "Brazil" does not appear on the image they have of the pistol. i am very upset that a company who claims to be "The First Name In American Firearms" has chosen to out-source the production of an American icon for an increase in profits. i have no doubt that cheap foreign labor has substantally increased their profits. yet, the price of their product has not declined.

See above... all SA 1911A1 pistols start as frame, slide and barrel forgings made by IMBEL in Brazil. It's been like that since day one for Springfield Armory... hence, there really isn't any outsourcing that was done to reduce labor costs. Springfield's higher line of 1911A1 pistols are all finished (> 50%) in Geneseo, IL. That's not changed. Doubt it ever will.

IMBEL is a major arms maker... world class. The Springfield 1911A1 pistols that are marked "MADE IN BRAZIL" are equal in quality to any done in Geneseo. One of the best made and fitted Mil-Spec pistols I've seen lately had the "MADE IN BRAZIL" rollmark. This reflects a very highly skilled and competent workforce... I doubt that IMBEL is using cheap labor (for Brazil).

Why does Springfield do this? It's simple... they simply cannot produce as many 1911A1 pistols in Geneseo, IL, as the market is demanding.

Quote:

this is another example of taking jobs out of American hands for money. i for one, am ashamed that the so-called American company (the Reese family) has tricked the American consumer into thinking that their product is produced and manufactured in America by Americans. the image of the mil-spec on their website has no engravings that say "Brazil."

Please consider this... Springfield hasn't ever said that their line of 1911A1 pistols was exclusively "made in the U.S.A."... not ever. They've never advertised that or made such a claim. The Springfield and IMBEL relationship has been an upfront fact since SA went into the 1911A1 business.

I'll venture a guess that the workforce Springfield has at their Illinois facility hasn't ever been reduced... likely it's grown. In essence, Brazilian labor hasn't taken any jobs away in Geneseo... it's added to them by virtue of Springfield's increased sales. Even if the pistol is made in Brazil and completely finished there, it still must pass thru the Geneseo facility.

Regarding the photos you commented on, those are "stock" photographs that illustrate a "typical" model of that pistol. These photos are re-used on a continuous basis each year.

While it's reported that all G.I. pistols are likely being finished in Brazil, I believe you'll still see Mil-Spec pistols show up with "Geneseo IL USA" on them. I have one... made in February 2007... a parkerized Mil-Spec with no "IMBEL" or "BRAZIL" on it anywhere (has NM serial number prefix).

Quote:

i'm not prejudice against Brazil or her people, or her industry. i'm just angry that a so-called American coorporation would out-source production (taking away American jobs) for profit rather than keeping the authentic history of America alive.

Again, I believe a careful examination of all the facts will reveal that there hasn't been any "outsourcing" of any production that was previously done in the U.S.A., other than having IMBEL supply an increasing quantity of finished G.I. and Mil-Spec pistols to meet demand.

About the history part... I'm not quite sure that applies. Springfield Armory USA has no connection at all to the original Springfield Armory owned by the U.S. military. The latter is on the Connecticut River in western Massachusetts and was closed in 1968. The former is in Illinois and began in 1974 when the Reese family obtained the rights to the Springfield name. They're very clear about this fact... and have never claimed to be the "original" Springfield Armory. They do have the name... and rightfully claim to preserve the heritage. It's savvy marketing... which in its self is as American as apple pie.

One last thought... Springfield could produce their 1911A1 pistols entirely in the U.S.A. if desired. This would require that they forge (or contract to a domestic supplier) all frames, slides and barrels. You might feel better about the pistol... but you're sure going to pay more for it... and their production quantity would no doubt decrease too.

My apology for a somewhat long and rambling "explanation"... but my coffee driven insomnia does make me a bit talkative...

Cliff"

Kindly explain to me how I am "Not even close" with what I said?

Rick O'Shay
05-06-2012, 09:21
In my area, I see plenty of "lightly used" R-1911's, but you have to search high and low to find a used Range Officer for sale. Price here is roughly $100-125 more for the Springfield, but my research makes me lean toward the Range Officer over the Ruger.

Rinspeed
05-06-2012, 15:23
Really? Take a look at the following threads on the 'Net,

Kindly explain to me how I am "Not even close" with what I said?

You said;

The "NM" serialed Sprinfields are imported as rough forgings and completely "built" in the US

That is not even close to reality. Most of the frames, except a few of the SACS ones, come from Brazil fully machined except for maybe sight cuts or front strap checkering. I don't know where you got "rough forgings" are imported but it's simply not true.

Jason D
05-06-2012, 15:48
You said;

That is not even close to reality. Most of the frames, except a few of the SACS ones, come from Brazil fully machined except for maybe sight cuts or front strap checkering. I don't know where you got "rough forgings" are imported but it's simply not true.

You're wasting your breath.

People go out of their way to find these NM guns preferring them over the N models. They think the N model guns are inferior to the NM guns. I have found if anything they are mostly equal in quality.

bac1023
05-06-2012, 16:01
Thanks to everyones advice

I will most likely opt for the RO

Thank you
Good choice

Let us know how you make out.

countrygun
05-06-2012, 16:05
You're wasting your breath.

People go out of their way to find these NM guns preferring them over the N models. They think the N model guns are inferior to the NM guns. I have found if anything they are mostly equal in quality.

You are wasting your breath.

I don't particularly care if mine has an "N" or an "NM" stamping. In fact, I don't care at all from a function and strength point of view. I never claimed any superiority for one or the other. Just pointing out that, according to Springfield, more than 50% of the work on an "NM" is done in the US. In general, that alone does not impress me one way or the other.

sorry to not fit in to your smug stereotype

SIGlock
05-06-2012, 22:41
I recently bought a Ruger SR1911. My first 1911 ever. Between the RO and the Ruger, I would NOT recommend anyone to buy a Ruger. Long story, but I would rather get the springfield RO.....if both guns are about the same price. My honest opinion.

Oh, how I want to love my Ruger 1911. Unfortunately, it has some issues.:crying:

potenza
05-08-2012, 05:12
I own both , never shot my Ruger but love my special operator

Urban_Redneck
05-08-2012, 07:07
Faced with the same dilemma, I chose the Range Officer. I'll probably go to a Harrison Designs rear sight for the LPA cut when I decide to carry it.

I have had a longstanding, 35 year fondness for Ruger guns, however, the words "never buy a Ruger semi-auto before the third recall" stuck in my head. :dunno:

JD_19x9
05-09-2012, 21:08
I don't have any experience with the SA Range Officer, but I do own a Ruger SR1911.

I purchased a SA 1911 GI model a few years ago and had all kinds of jamming problems. I was kind of taken back when I saw the "Made in Brazil" stamped into the slide. I don't personally have anything against Brazil, but I was surprised my SA 1911 wasn't built in the USA.

I ended up trading it for the Ruger SR1911. I've put close to 1000 rounds through it now without any malfunctions. The only minor issue with the SR1911 was the wood grips came loose after about 400 rounds. I just used some loctite to keep them snug.

I would consider myself a Ruger fan. The SR1911 is Ruger number 3 out of 6 that I have purchased. I've had no problems with any of my Rugers and would definitely recommend the SR1911.