What brand hiking boot do you like? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What brand hiking boot do you like?

auto-5
05-05-2012, 06:58
I'm looking to upgrade from a pair of NB. I figure you guys probably hike a bunch.

Stevekozak
05-05-2012, 07:59
I have used a lot of different hiking boots over the years. One of my favorites, believe it or not, was some Nike made leather hiking boots. They fit like a glove and held up a long time. Of, course, as with everyother piece of footwear I have ever really liked, they quit making that particular boot before I was ready to buy new ones. :(

bdcochran
05-05-2012, 08:38
Raichle of Switzerland

I still have mine from 35 years ago. Handled places like the Golden Triangle, Red China, Afghanistan.

You don't have to worry about someone stepping on your feet. When people see you coming, they get out of your way!:wow:

eric1
05-05-2012, 08:40
I use Asolo, they're comfortable and very durable.

nevnut
05-05-2012, 08:47
Danners, I can get a good pair for around $120 and they usually last 2 years or more. Also the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.

fx77
05-05-2012, 09:07
Have hiked in Lowa's since 1979 thousands of miles and verticle feet.
They fit true to size and are very comfortable right out of the box

http://www.lowaboots.com/ (http://www.lowaboots.com/)

Protus
05-05-2012, 10:50
I'm looking to upgrade from a pair of NB. I figure you guys probably hike a bunch.

I like my merrels . On my 3rd pair now. Wife loves her's.
Ive considered on my next purchase trying the lowa's or some keens. But for down here they do just fine.

XDfense
05-05-2012, 12:07
I use Asolo, they're comfortable and very durable.

I, too, like Asolo and Vasque. I found Asolo more comfortable but Vasque more durable.

Babynine
05-05-2012, 12:24
I currently wear the German-made Cabelas Meindl "Perfekt" 7" Hikers, because I have a bum foot, and they are actually recommended by the American Podiatrist Assn.

Since I first bought these a couple years ago the Eureopean made boots by Lowa, Asolo, and Zamberlin have really caught my eye. I like how many of the Eureopean made leather boots are made from a single piece of leather, or very few large pieces of leather.

In my limited experiance, boots tend to fail at the stiching anywhere on the front half of the boots at the flex points. In my opinion it seems best to eliminate those seams by using fewer, larger pieces of leather in construction of the boots.

My Meindls are NOT top quality boots, but I beat the crap out of them, any only hose 'em off with water to clean them, and twice a year I wax them up with Obanhauf's heavy duty beeswax leather protector.

I have stood in creeks for minutes at a time filtering drinking water, without a drop of water getting in my Meindl Hikers.

series1811
05-05-2012, 12:28
I know they don't sound like a serious choice, but I have always like Timberland boots for hiking and backpacking. They make a lot of trendy stuff, but they still turn out some pretty decent serious boots if you go to the right stores.

I like heavy boots, the lightweight modern ones just don't seem to give me the support I need at my height and size.

Bushflyr
05-05-2012, 12:56
Boots are a very personal choice. There are a few decent boot makers out there, but it doesn't matter if they don't fit.

The flat out best hiking boots are made with a single piece of leather all around the body and toe of the boot. You're obviously going to have a seam up the back and around the tongue.

I've had the same pair of Scarpa Attack's for about 15 years now. They've been resoled 3 times and, unfortunately, due to abuse on my part and too many wet slogs, are due for retirement.

Not mine but you get the idea.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IpiejXE8JRk/TMYL1k3acUI/AAAAAAAACYk/7AWcyXda2gY/s1600/PA250348.JPG

series1811
05-05-2012, 14:33
Boots are a very personal choice. There are a few decent boot makers out there, but it doesn't matter if they don't fit.

The flat out best hiking boots are made with a single piece of leather all around the body and toe of the boot. You're obviously going to have a seam up the back and around the tongue.

I've had the same pair of Scarpa Attack's for about 15 years now. They've been resoled 3 times and, unfortunately, due to abuse on my part and too many wet slogs, are due for retirement.

Not mine but you get the idea.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IpiejXE8JRk/TMYL1k3acUI/AAAAAAAACYk/7AWcyXda2gY/s1600/PA250348.JPG

That's about what mine look like. I'm kind of hard on boots, too. :supergrin: They are my second pair since 1994. The first pair wasn't completely worn out when I retired them in 2009, my wife was just embarrassed to be seen with me wearing them. :supergrin:

Babynine
05-05-2012, 14:45
/\ Wax Those things up with some Obanhauf's LP and those things will be ready for another 6-12 months of stomping through muddy trails and crossing 4-5 inch deep streams, while keeping your feet bone dry.

pugman
05-05-2012, 19:08
Brand? I've hiked in Asolos, Danners, a set of Vasques and Lowas. Depending on the load out and the terrain dictates what I have on my feet

Keens unfortuntely I can't recommend. I LOVE their sandals but think once they got away from their core product line into casual shoes and boots quality has taken a nose dive. I've bought two pairs and was not impressed

Bushflyr
05-05-2012, 19:17
Like I said, said, those aren't mine. Mine looked like that about 5 years ago. Now the cuffs are completely disintegrated and the interiors are so worn I can feel the nails poking through.

jtull7
05-05-2012, 19:20
Vasque Sundowners are the very best for a experienced hiker but not a rock climber. Get them at any Red Wing store. Buy the extra sole liner: very important.

jr05
05-05-2012, 19:26
Asolo all the way.

lawman800
05-05-2012, 22:10
I have a pair of Timberlands forever and they clean up well after a dirty hike and they have lasted me forever... seem almost indestructible.

RichJ
05-05-2012, 22:55
Vasque Sundowners are the very best for a experienced hiker but not a rock climber. Get them at any Red Wing store. Buy the extra sole liner: very important.

I hike a lot and have been wearing Sundowners for about 15 years (I think I'm on pair number four). What's this about an extra sole liner? I've never had an issue with the sole liner deteriorating or anything. Is there an upgrade or something, or do you just like having a spare pair?

Sundowners look a whole lot like those Scarpa's in the pic and have a Gortex liner btw.

hillyard
05-06-2012, 01:20
Timberline here

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-06-2012, 05:48
For hiking, I am really liking Merrel's.. but for all out best boot, Hanwag. I have a pair of Hanwag's I bought in the FRG in '78 or so, still the best mountain boot I have seen/worn/had. Just had them re-soled about 2 years ago. My guess is that will be the last time. (second sole)

jtull7
05-06-2012, 12:22
The sole liner is an add-on. It is shaped like a foot and goes into the boot before your foot does. It gives the sole just the right amount of extra padding. It really makes a difference.

Big Bird
05-06-2012, 14:31
I'm on my second pair of Danner Mountain Lites. They've been around since the 70's. Do some online searching and you'll find em for $300ish. My first pair lasted almost 18 years and had been resoled twice. They are the classic leather hiking boot. Will take some break-in--about 20 miles or so. Wear a good sock liner and some Merino Wool socks to start and carry some moleskin. After about 20 miles they will be golden.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Danner-Mountain-Light-II-Mens-Womens-Hiking-Boot-p/30800.htm

I also have a pair of Asolo TPS 520's and they are a nice boot that provides a little higher ankle support than the Danner's but they are a bonded sole and cannot be resoled and were more expensive than the Danners at the time. Also needed some break-in but less than my Danners.

RichJ
05-06-2012, 17:06
The sole liner is an add-on. It is shaped like a foot and goes into the boot before your foot does. It gives the sole just the right amount of extra padding. It really makes a difference.

Are you talking about the padded insole that comes with the boot? I've never seen an add-on liner for Sundowners, and I've never had any comfort issues so the "very important" part of your post has me a bit puzzled. :headscratch:

FireForged
05-06-2012, 17:27
Merrell

Big Bird
05-07-2012, 06:01
Are you talking about the padded insole that comes with the boot? I've never seen an add-on liner for Sundowners, and I've never had any comfort issues so the "very important" part of your post has me a bit puzzled. :headscratch:

Sundowners aren't what they used to be. The new models are made in China and are a huge change in quality from the old Italian made boots.

crunchless
05-07-2012, 15:17
Asolo 520 tps boots are great but expensive - almost $300. I thought they could be resoled but not sure now. I had the old LL Bean guide to the outdoors book in the 1980s and they had a chapter on "you best foot forward". I didn't realize until recently how big a deal good footwear is. When you have poor fitting boots you are miserable.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wake_jumper
05-07-2012, 15:32
Vasque. Bitteroot GTX. #7170. Carried a 50# pack 100 miles in the New Mexico mountains last summer. My son (same boots) and I were the only ones who didn't have blisters and were not complaining about their feet. Make sure you break them in before a long trip. It takes 30 to 50 miles to break these bad boys in. They were expensive (~$200) but worth every penny.

http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7170-vasque/7170-vasque-mens-bitterroot-gtx-slateblack-chilipepper

Hour13
05-07-2012, 15:46
Sketcher's for me. Lol, not exactly "supreme" gear, I know.

These aren't even really hiking boots per se, but they work damn well. They're kind of a mess in this pic, from a cave-diving trip. I wear 'em on the bike, hiking, whatever.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/hour13/gun%20stuff/AR15s/100_5045.jpg

Only boots I've ever had that I never need to break in, comfy right outta the box. They're tough as nails, and last. This pair is pretty new, just retired my last pair, that I bought sometime in the '90s.

:wavey:

Bilbo Bagins
05-08-2012, 13:04
Merrell for me and what I do. I do heavy long distance hikes so leather would cook my dogs. I have a pair of Moab Ventilators right now. Sometimes when I go cheap I get Hi-tec trail runners and boots. I still have a pair of Hi-Tec trail runners that are going over 2 years old with tons of mileage and they still look and feel great Best $35 I ever spent. I just replace the crappy insole with green superfeet.