Pool Shock brand [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pool Shock brand

Stevekozak
05-05-2012, 08:11
Has anyone used this particular product to purify drinking water? The local Walmart has a special deal on it and I was wondering if this is an acceptable product.
http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Pool-Shock-and-Super-Chlorinating-Chemicals/HTH-Super-Shock-N-Swim/

cyrsequipment
05-05-2012, 11:22
It purifies the water in my pool VERY nicely. We hadn't opened it in over 5 years and the water was rather green.

Not that it has anything at all to do with your question though...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Aceman
05-05-2012, 12:23
This is a fantastic question!

I was stocking bottles of bleach for that purpose, and then found out about the short shelf life factor (here also).

I opened a bottle I had for a couple of years and took a wiff that should have knocked me out - my pool water smelled more chlorinated!

I'll still keep a bottle on hand for quick use - but I'd like to know this too.

Fits very well with my "real life / preps" overlap style of living too, since I have a pool.

crunchless
05-05-2012, 20:49
I just got some - I heard you should look for higher concentrations of calcium hypochlorite - 78%. Your link went to a page that said it was 53% chlorine.

This looks the same but has 78%:

http://www.elawngarden.com/super-sock-p-3482.html?utm_campaign=google-simple&utm_medium=product_search&utm_source=google-simple

I'm not sure you can get it any higher - not sure what's in the other 22% but apparently this is what others on the net are suggesting for treating water.

This is what I actually got:
http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hydro/item/Pool-Chemicals/HTH-POOLIFE-TurboShock-78-1-lb-bag-Pool-Chlorine/22405.html

Aceman
05-05-2012, 21:43
That is the "treat water" amount per gallon?

At 53% and at 78%....

Teaspoon, 5 grains....what?

Bolster
05-05-2012, 21:49
Steve, I have been trying to figure out the same.

Today at Home Depot I noticed TONS of "pool shock" type products, NONE of which contained calcium hypochlorite. So struck out there.

I've seen it for sale on Amazon, but expensive.

Bolster
05-05-2012, 21:54
Read here

http://stealthsurvival.blogspot.com/2008/09/preppin-101-part-two-water-purification.html

doktarZues
05-06-2012, 07:19
I looked a few months ago and couldn't find any calcium hypochlorite at Walmart or Home Depot, either (I didn't check Lowes). The stuff on amazon isn't that expensive if you can't find it locally. Besides, 24 pounds of 68% for ~2.80 a pound (the in the swim brand), or a little more for smaller quantities does NOT sound expensive to me.

Stevekozak
05-06-2012, 07:24
Steve, I have been trying to figure out the same.

Today at Home Depot I noticed TONS of "pool shock" type products, NONE of which contained calcium hypochlorite. So struck out there.

I've seen it for sale on Amazon, but expensive.
Yeah, I have seen pool shok mentioned in several threads here before. I started this thread hoping that some of the ppl that know about it and have used it would come on tell me what brands they have used and where they got it. I think they all went on vacation for the weekend! :) I read your linked page. Thanks for that. I am afraid that the product I was looking at has too many additonal additives to be used for drinking water.

UneasyRider
05-06-2012, 08:44
I purchased mine from Amazon. I went with 68% Calcium Hypochlorite which was enough in my opinion. Make sure that your additional ingredients are inert as in no anti algae or any other carcinogens. That said I bought this stuff:

In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock - 6 X 1 lb. bags

Amazon.com: In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock - 6 X 1 lb. bags: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oxdRirRkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41oxdRirRkL

UneasyRider
05-06-2012, 08:52
Forgot to mention... wear a good mask when you mix it!

Bolster
05-06-2012, 08:54
Yes, that's the brand (In The Swim) I've been looking for locally, with no luck.

Here's the mixing instructions I read elsewhere (I am simply passing along what I've read, do your own research, this could be dangerous if done wrong)

"Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a two step process. To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water. To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated. Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking."

Here's another set of instructions I found:

"Granular Calcium Hypochlorite. Add
and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test
granular calcium hypochlorite (HTH)
(approximately 1/4 ounce) for each two gallons
of water. The mixture will produce a chlorine
solution of approximately 500 mg/L, since the
calcium hypochlorite has an available chlorine
equal to 70 percent of its weight. To disinfect
water, add the chlorine solution in the ratio of
one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of
water to be treated. This is roughly equal to
adding 1 pint (16 oz.) of stock chlorine to each
12.5 gallons of water to be disinfected. To
remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate
the water as described above. FWIW, if you over-chlorinate your water you simply wait longer before you can drink it. The Chlorine will naturally outgas over time and the water will be safe to drink."

Stevekozak
05-06-2012, 09:15
I purchased mine from Amazon. I went with 68% Calcium Hypochlorite which was enough in my opinion. Make sure that your additional ingredients are inert as in no anti algae or any other carcinogens. That said I bought this stuff:

In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock - 6 X 1 lb. bags

Amazon.com: In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock - 6 X 1 lb. bags: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WKM4A0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00)

Thanks! What was your recipe for mixing it?

UneasyRider
05-06-2012, 09:47
Thanks! What was your recipe for mixing it?

1 level tsp per gallon to make bleach, use bleach at 8 drops per gallon to purify my water. Let water set for an hour then air out the water.

UneasyRider
05-06-2012, 10:32
Oh, it's handy to note that water is measured at 60 to 100drops per teaspoon (drops do not have an exact size so you will see a lot of numbers for this) so a 55 gallon barell would require about 6 teaspoons of our home made bleach to purify it.

I am sure that we all would prefer to pasturize or boil our water rather than ingesting chemicals but in a pinch this is the down and dirty way to do it. And no filter removes small viruses completely from what I can tell.

OP - Nice thread! Water is numero uno!

M1A Shooter
05-06-2012, 11:35
i too have the same bags of in the swim. i got 2 bags of it in nashville. the store i got it from no longer carries it though. i would probably just order it on amazon or other. some talk about its expense but at less than $10/lb worst case, its still about $1/1000 gallons of water treatment.

agamemnon
05-06-2012, 14:08
http://www.summitbrands.com/summit/our_brands/water_mgmt/saniwell/

I found this googling. better that pool shock because it's meant to be used in drinking water.

Akita
05-06-2012, 17:34
Walmart has 78% for about $15 for about a quart sized container. It is only out during pool season tho.

rgregoryb
05-06-2012, 18:11
I get mine at a pool supply store, I found an article (wish I could find it again) that said use one grain per gallon of water.