Money as Debt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Money as Debt

MadCityJack
05-05-2012, 10:50
This morning I read an article on Yahoo about a guy who has lived without money for 10 years. I went to his website and found it interesting:

http://sites.google.com/site/livingwithoutmoney/

On his site was a reference to another site explaining the basis of our complex money system, something that I never learned in school. The video below is 47 min long, so ready some popcorn. It as about as entertaining as a topic about money systems can be. :supergrin:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2550156453790090544#

I welcome your thoughts...

JBnTX
05-05-2012, 11:21
Wake Up!

If it was possible to live without money, don't you think everyone would be doing it?

:faint:

MadCityJack
05-05-2012, 11:52
Wake Up!

If it was possible to live without money, don't you think everyone would be doing it?

:faint:
Thanks for your comment, but I had my coffee and I am awake, fully. The point is not that we should live without money. Take a look at the site and think about what this man is saying. He is living without money because of his convictions. His life is not easy without money and I don't believe most of us would choose to live two days of his life. I wouldn't. Look at the way he lives...in a cave, out of dumpsters, eating road kill, etc. He is a survivalist, some might say even a bum (but one with a philosophy he is able to articulate), who lives on the fringes of existing society.

"Wake up!" No, that doesn't help me better understand anything. It is just dismissive. Your argument is like this, "If guns were the answer, don't you think everyone would have one?" People are different.

JBnTX
05-05-2012, 12:39
Well, live without money for a month and let me know how it works out for you.

You must be young to fall for another "alternate" lifestyle concept just because it sounds good on paper.

That man isn't living without money because of his convictions.
He isn't sleeping outside and eating out of dumpsters just for the principle of it.

If he is, then he's severely mentally ill.

He sounds like just another loser trying to justify his loser existence and
convince everyone else that he's the smart one.

I'll stick to capitalism.

MadCityJack
05-05-2012, 12:56
Well, live without money for a month and let me know how it works out for you.

You must be young to fall for another "alternate" lifestyle concept just because it sounds good on paper.

That man isn't living without money because of his convictions.
He isn't sleeping outside and eating out of dumpsters just for the principle of it.

If he is, then he's severely mentally ill.

He may be mentally ill. I don't know. I do know psychological flexibility is a sign of health.

All I can tell you is what I read and how he lives DOES NOT look good on paper. You are responding to the headline, not the information he gives on his philosophy or how he does survive, which is the interesting part.

I am not suggesting a life style based on "no money." We obviously live in a world where money is important but he makes a point that emphasizes that money is not anything real--it is an agreed upon idea. He also has religious convictions that shaped his perspective. He seems principled not crazy.

I am not very young, or even young, and even if I were I would not adopt his life style. You probably don't care but I can't respond to any more to comments that reflect no more interest than reading the headline. I am not trying to be rude, but your comments are not based on looking at his site. Check out his responses to FAQs.

BTW: I do like Texas. :cool:

dmjonez
05-05-2012, 15:40
Who pays for his website? Just wondering...

MadCityJack
05-05-2012, 16:25
Who pays for his website? Just wondering...

Good point. Still think he is legitimate. The BBC had an interview with him. One of our American Curiosities.

HarleyGuy
05-06-2012, 00:08
Reminds me a bit of the folks who say you don't have to pay your taxes!

If it sounds to good to be true.......

Vic777
05-06-2012, 22:50
I welcome your thoughts...Thanks for the very interesting link. I have always said, "Money is just a promise". I've got my G'friend watching this now. I have a friend in "banking", I'll ask her what the laws are in her estimation ....
The Benjamin Franklin quote is extremely interesting.

Rabid Rabbit
05-07-2012, 07:56
Its a farce, he depends on people with money for freebies. I rate this as equal to the people that say they live on air and sunlight

Cavalry Doc
05-07-2012, 08:30
Its a farce, he depends on people with money for freebies. I rate this as equal to the people that say they live on air and sunlight

You won't do well for too long without air and sunlight, but you'd probably notice the absence of air first.

Yes, you could live without money, but it's not going to be easy.

ETA: if someone wants to get a head start on living without money, I'd be happy to help, please PM me and I'll take all you have off your hands. It'll be a burden, but I'll find some way to get rid of it myself for you.

Vic777
05-07-2012, 10:46
So what about this? Is it true or not?

Stubudd
05-08-2012, 08:24
So what about this? Is it true or not?

i like the part at 24:56. there we all are on the treadmill