135gn Nosler [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 135gn Nosler

blastfact
05-05-2012, 16:03
I have BD, TG and Herco.

I've seen data on BD/Blue Dot and it seems very forgiving in use. Not the right powder but it works.

I've seen data on TG/TightGroup which was surprising. But no reports. And I'm one of those strange folks that like TG in 9mm be it jacketed, plated or lead. I know I'm strange. Does it really have a use in the 10mm 135gn Nolser?

Poor old Herco gets no respect now days. But I have .38, 9mm and 45 acp loads that shoot great! Has anybody secretly played around with the old school Herco concerning any 135gn 10mm load?

I also have h-110 and 2400 on hand. A note of importance is all I have right now is mag fed primers. BD seems to love them in heavier bullet weight's of the XTP family.

So cough it up buddy's. I got the 135's for free so it's time to play with the G20 and LW 5.15" barrel. Within near nuke level's. :)

Thanks

gofastman
05-05-2012, 17:22
I've seen data on BD/Blue Dot and it seems very forgiving in use. Not the right powder but it works.
BD is a lot of things, but forgiving is not one of them.

blastfact
05-05-2012, 17:42
BD is a lot of things, but forgiving is not one of them.

OK you have been a big NO help. Moving on. (shaking head)

_The_Shadow
05-05-2012, 20:07
The problem is not with Blue Dot, most JHP's will come apart on impact before you reach the max velocity...in other words "Frag Nasty"!

With that said 12.0 grains of Blue Dot would be a safe starting point...

Yondering
05-05-2012, 20:12
Of the powders you listed, Blue Dot is by far the best for this application; one of the best out there in fact.

TG and Herco are both too fast, unless you want light loads. H110 and 2400 are way too slow, and won't get up to normal velocity levels before running out of case capacity.

Taterhead
05-05-2012, 22:49
Load up the Blue Dot... and get ready for a nice fireball!

Alliant's max for a 155 grain bullet is 12.0 grains, so I agree with the Shadow that it would be a reasonable starting point.

blastfact
05-06-2012, 09:36
I went ahead and loaded up 300 rounds with TG and BD.

The TG load interests me. So I loaded with it from 7.2 to 8.2gn with Fed mag primers.

As for the BD I loaded from 12 to 13gn with Fed mag primers.

I pulled my head out of my arse and looked in one of my old log books for loads I had made up back in the days of owning and shooting the worthless Delta Elite. I need to get a chrono in the worse way.

XmmAUTO
05-06-2012, 10:07
Blastfact,

I have gone as high a 14.0 grains in a stock glock barrel with a 20# spring. Average velocity was 1433 FPS. Check out my post on page 3 of the Alliant powder sticky. I have gone as high as 16.0 grains but from 14.5 to 16.0 were fired out of my TC Contender. IIRC 16.0 registered a chrono reading of close to 1700 FPS out of the 4.6: barreled TC. Sorry but no pressure results on that one.

TDC20
05-06-2012, 10:25
Blastfact,

I would use caution with Bluedot and magnum primers. I tried substituting CCI#350's for my book max 180gr. load using CCI#300's, without working up (yeah, stupid on my part), and had some significant increases in pressure indications. Also got about 85fps more velocity. Maybe at lower pressures Bluedot and magnum primers are less of an issue. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying not to use magnum primers and Bluedot, just be aware that you will reach max pressure much sooner than with standard primers. Substitutions with warm to hot loads are a no-no in my experience. I'm with gofastman on this one.

You would be better served to pick up some Longshot for loading hot 135's. It's easy to work with and you should be able to get close to 1600fps with that barrel and standard primers. You can probably get there with 800X, too, but use standard primers and go slow. I think trying to get anywhere near that velocity with Bluedot and magnum primers would be a BIG mistake.

Longshot is a great all-around 10mm powder. If you don't own any, you should try it. Also, I would advise getting some standard primers for 10mm. Standard primers have worked better for me in every load that I've done a standard-magnum primer comparison.

Good luck and be safe!

blastfact
05-06-2012, 11:04
I'm off to do some shooting.

Taking the G20, 686P, M&P .45, 9mm and the PF-9.

The G20 will get to eat all sorts of ammo. :)