Have .380s Made Us Lazy??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Have .380s Made Us Lazy???

ViennaGambit
05-06-2012, 00:24
In the market for a pocket .380 (p3at/lcp variety) and the only thing holding me back now is that I'm afraid if I get one, I will leave my G26, G30 or G17 at home much more often than I really should...

I want the .380 to fill that 2% of the time role when I just cant dress around my gun, but I don't want to give in to the simplicity of carrying it.

I can just imagine how easy it is slip the lcp in my pocket and leave the house wearing just a speedo if I wanted to :supergrin: No need to dress around my G30 or G17 or wear that button down over a t-shirt as a cover garment when I want to carry OWB on a hot day or leave my CCW in my car safe when I am wearing board shorts with no belt.

So...

Has owning a .380 made you lazy when it comes to what you COULD (and maybe SHOULD) be carrying instead?

Folsom_Prison
05-06-2012, 02:28
I don't have one, but I've been in the 380 and single stack 9 boat recently. It seems appealing but I think I've gave up on the idea. I carry a G19 in a supertuck everyday, it just works for me.

Live been carrying the 19 for two years and it hasn't failed me yet nor has anybody noticed it. After some recent events I'm convinced general society is stupid and has not a damn clue I'm carrying.

I don't worry about printing honestly! I've got the 19 now but if I had the choice I'd rock a full size 17. In the end it all comes Down to the right holster ect! IMO lots of guys in here could carry a full size gun but they make excuses and take the easy way out.

spikedzombies
05-06-2012, 02:30
Any gun is a gun... 380 or 9mm.

If you don't put yourself in a situation to need it than a 380 will be more than enough.

It's not like your gonna try to take on a armed robber with a ak...

"Sent via the Skyrim messenger service"

ViennaGambit
05-06-2012, 02:45
Any gun is a gun... 380 or 9mm.

If you don't put yourself in a situation to need it than a 380 will be more than enough.

If I new when I'd be in a situation that required a firearm, I'd make sure to carry my 870 that day...

@G19 - I do admit I have yet to hit the realization that people really have no friggin clue that I have a G17 down my pants even when the handle butt is printing...

I've been tempted to ask my best friend if he knows I carry, but I don't want to out myself if he had no clue. Carried my 17 owb under a Columbia button down when we were hiking last weekend - to me it was obvious I was printing but he didn't say a thing.

Why are you in the market for a pocket carry if the G19 has been working for you?

Folsom_Prison
05-06-2012, 02:59
Why are you in the market for a pocket carry if the G19 has been working for you?

I never said pocket carry! I said 380 or single stack 9.

With that being said Im over the idea!

Bruce M
05-06-2012, 07:59
Cost aside, I'd prefer a Rohrbaugh over a .380.

MNBud
05-06-2012, 08:30
I own three, 380 caliber guns but none have replaced the Glock 27 that I routinely carry, I will grab one when the dress situation calls for something more discreet. I truly believe the 380 ammunition that is available today is capable of getting the job done but when possible I do go with more firepower.

M&P15T
05-06-2012, 08:34
Not me. I just got my VA carry license (after having one in MI for 7 years) and I'll be carrying what I always do. My G17C.

Tx-SIG229
05-06-2012, 08:45
i carry my g19 at work and my g23 at home. i've carried my LCP a few times until i got to thinking that i'd rather pocket carry my g27, even though it will sag my pants, then to carry the LCP.

HexHead
05-06-2012, 08:45
I generally keep one of my .380s by my car keys, so if I'm running out for a quick errand and don't already have a gun on me, I can just throw it in a pocket and not have to stop what I'm doing to strap a holster on.

caddilac_recoil
05-06-2012, 08:52
I do find myself grabbing my 380 instead of my g19 a lot now that its getting warmer

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

deputy tom
05-06-2012, 08:54
I don't own a .380 but the P-32 has made me a lazy bum.tom.:crying:

glock2740
05-06-2012, 08:59
I generally keep one of my .380s by my car keys, so if I'm running out for a quick errand and don't already have a gun on me, I can just throw it in a pocket and not have to stop what I'm doing to strap a holster on.
Same here. Although I usually have a Glock or a 1911 in a CBST on me. Sometimes I throw the LCP in my pocket anyway. They don't call it a BUG for nothing. :cool:

truetopath
05-06-2012, 09:02
I own a SW Bodyguard as a BUG to my G 27, and usually carry them both even on warmer days, but it is nice to drop the little .380 in the pants pocket to run a quick errand. Convenience means you'll carry all the time without thinking twice, so I believe the many options for guns all play and important role to each CCW'er. To each there own, just my .02

HexHead
05-06-2012, 09:09
I own a SW Bodyguard as a BUG to my G 27, and usually carry them both even on warmer days, but it is nice to drop the little .380 in the pants pocket to run a quick errand. Convenience means you'll carry all the time without thinking twice, so I believe the many options for guns all play and important role to each CCW'er. To each there own, just my .02

One of mine's a BG .380 too, and that's the one I usually grab now since it's 8oz lighter than my Mustang.

I agree with you regarding convenience, makes it so much easier to always be armed when leaving the house.

Metal Angel
05-06-2012, 09:29
One of mine's a BG .380 too, and that's the one I usually grab now since it's 8oz lighter than my Mustang.

I agree with you regarding convenience, makes it so much easier to always be armed when leaving the house.

Hm... I don't think it counts if you a trading out a less reliable, heavier gun in the same caliber and capacity...

bac1023
05-06-2012, 09:35
I carry my P3AT often, especially in the summer.

Rustin
05-06-2012, 09:43
Sometimes absolute discretion is required. There is nothing better than a tiny .380 for this role. That being said, I could see how the ease of carry might make some carry it as a primary when a bigger gun would do. That ease of carry would go right out the window if SHTF and you'd wish your bigger gun wasn't left at home.

JudgeRoyBean
05-06-2012, 09:47
I have a Taurus 738 that drops into a pocket holster pretty easily! As far as getting lazy about other guns in your arsenal, the 380 mouse guns are not what you take for extended range use. They serve a purpose but don't lend themselves to shooting any further then 30'. One of my favorites is a Colt 22 ACP. I shoot that more often then anything else I own! :embarassed:

M&P15T
05-06-2012, 10:01
I guess it depends on wether carrying something larger is that difficult.

I don't find that to be true, but everyone is different.

Wyoming
05-06-2012, 10:05
In the market for a pocket .380 (p3at/lcp variety) and the only thing holding me back now is that I'm afraid if I get one, I will leave my G26, G30 or G17 at home much more often than I really should...

I want the .380 to fill that 2% of the time role when I just cant dress around my gun, but I don't want to give in to the simplicity of carrying it.

I can just imagine how easy it is slip the lcp in my pocket and leave the house wearing just a speedo if I wanted to :supergrin: No need to dress around my G30 or G17 or wear that button down over a t-shirt as a cover garment when I want to carry OWB on a hot day or leave my CCW in my car safe when I am wearing board shorts with no belt.

So...

Has owning a .380 made you lazy when it comes to what you COULD (and maybe SHOULD) be carrying instead?

I found myself guilty of that so now make a better effort to carry at least a 9mm (usually a Kahr P9).

MadMonkey
05-06-2012, 10:06
Lazy? Nah. My usual clothing isn't the best to conceal a compact or full size, so the LCP goes into my pocket. If I'm able to dress for carry, I still have the LCP but add something on my hip.

dustbusterplus
05-06-2012, 11:20
I can see your concern. I just purchased a Diamondback DB9, however I bought it for its ease of concealability. And since its 9mm I don't mind it as a primary firearm since I consider 9mm a sufficient caliber. I currently carry a G27, and that gun is super easy to carry in the fall and winter, but come spring and summertime it is hard to conceal under just a t-shirt so the DB9 will fill the role as a pocket gun. The G27 will always be the primary when possible, meaning a cover garment of sorts (vest, hoodie), but the DB9 might be the new run to the store gun.

fowler
05-06-2012, 17:45
My wife did get rid of her Little Crappy Pistol 380 and moved up to a G26 a real handgun for defence. Thank goodness

NEOH212
05-06-2012, 17:57
I've never owned a .380 and never will own a mouse gun.

Handguns suck for defense to begin with. Sure, any gun is better than no gun. If I'm going to carry though, I want the biggest most powerful gun I can handle.

I'll take any edge I can get. I won't get lazy about carrying a adequate defensive caliber and neither should you if you can help it.

Cole125
05-06-2012, 20:53
First of all a .380 with 7 rounds of modern self defensive ammo is no joke, it'll ruin a BGs day.

A .380 in your pocket beats a .45 left at home.

rilkil23
05-06-2012, 21:00
I did exactly what you are asking. My lcp was dominating as my primary carry gun until I bought the smartcarry holster. The smartcarry has allowed me to carry my single stack 9mm instead of the tiny lcp. I couldn't get the thought out of my head that I should be carrying something bigger than my .380. I highly recommend the smartcarry if you want to carry a larger gun.

Creatism
05-06-2012, 21:16
I tried the 380 thing and just could not get comfortable carrying it as a primary. (I'm very much a 45 guy) very convenient, I sold it and just got used to wearing my 36, then I had an incident happen where I did not have my gun, board shorts,(I think really have no clue what I was wearing was paying mor attention to needing a gun and not having one) and really wish I had it. After that I decided to do what ever I had to carry as close to 100% of the time. In order to do that a pocket pistol works. I got 2 a sw 38 and a pf9. Both Work for their intended purpose, there are times I slip the pf9 in my back pocket, 36 in my holster and I'm gtg!!!

Typed from my iPhone.

WarEagle32
05-07-2012, 02:28
I love all of my pocket rockets. Every day it depends on what I'm wearing as to what I am armed with. Usually a 19,26 or 30sf in a Crossbreed ST and most of the time a Sig 290 in my pocket. The 290 is my favorite pocket pistol by a mile. When I wear tight pants is the only time that I ever carry my 380 LCP! I do like the LCP, I just do not completely trust my life to any load in a 380. So IMO the 380 doesn't make much easy!

Folsom_Prison
05-07-2012, 02:38
I love all of my pocket rockets!

They should be left for the bedroom :whistling:

:rofl:

Z71bill
05-07-2012, 08:03
I have a whole set of tools - sockets from 3/32 up to 1 1/2, 4.5 MM - 17MM, wrenches too in every size.

Sometimes I need a small one - sometimes I need a BIG one -

I select the correct size for the job I am doing.

My KT P-3AT fits into my carry rotation sort of like the 3/8" socket - when I need this size a BIGGER socket will not do me much good.

Imagine how dumb it would sound if I said - I really need a 3/8" wrench to remove that bolt - but only have 3/4" and larger in my tool box - so I will just use a pipe wrench.

dabigguns357
05-07-2012, 09:09
Carry the biggest gun you can comfortably,if your feel good wearing a G17 wear it and don't scrimp.

Don't set your self up by saying "this is my carry gun and that one is my range gun"

I carry all my range guns and i take all my carry guns to the range.

My wife likes her new LC9 but still carrys her Glock 23,infact she hasn't bought a holster for the Ruger because she doesn't really feel like carrying it.

Bilbo Bagins
05-07-2012, 14:14
I think people are just not honest about concealed carry.

FRUMP....I Conceal carry a 1911 and I use a Glock 17 as backup. Carry is easy with the proper holsters, and attire. All you need to do is blouse your dress shirt like so...FaaaRUMP

And to that a say BULL. Either you don't carry 24/7 or you always dress like Tactical Tim with your fanny pack, a Maxpedition Jumbo and head to toe in 5.11 gear.

A while ago, and I love the guy so I'm not going to name names, someone mentioned that REAL gun owners are leaving the gun forums like GT becuase of all the regular people getting into guns. To that I say GREAT! More regular people are getting into guns, Concealed carry, and self defense is a good thing and a wake up call to the rest of gun community.

If you want to be a regular person; Someone who wears shorts and a T-shirt when its hot. Someone who likes to be active. Someone who wants to hide the fact they are carrying a conceal weapon to their employers and strangers they meet. For those people a small pocket size gun is a great thing.

If you need to always carry a large 9mm and above pistol to defend yourself and if you can pull off carrying it comfortably and decreetly 24/7, no matter what life throws at you, well good for you.

I tried, it, it sucks, and I just want to live a regular life and still stay armed.