More calm during SHTF than normal times? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More calm during SHTF than normal times?

emt1581
05-06-2012, 16:14
Not sure if anyone else is like this but I've noticed either when we get a blizzard, the power goes out, we have no water (from the city), etc....and I know those really aren't any SHTF's of significance for S&Pers. Still, during those days I notice I'm calmer and basically just keep myself occupied by going through the checklists of things to monitor/take care of...kinda like I used to do when camping as a scout. (ex. keep the fire fed, get food/water prepared, etc.) Only now it's keep the wood stove fed, get out the cast iron pots to cook with, get out the aquatainer for the sink.

Now in day to day life there are reports/appointments due for work, meetings to go to, bills to pay, shopping to do, etc... which, by comparrison is more stressful for me.

Anyone else like this? You almost prefer a SHTF (and again, I know we aren't talking about WROL and anything violent with the examples I gave). Life just seems more simple and less hectic/competitive when you're just worrying about you and your family.

Just my thoughts....figured I'd share.

-Emt1581

Dexters
05-06-2012, 16:22
Now in day to day life there are reports/appointments due for work, meetings to go to, bills to pay, shopping to do, etc... which, by comparrison is more stressful for me.

That is why we like SHTF & Zombie movies. You don't think about how you will pay the mortgage, work, the stock market, retirement, politics and other things.

You are living in the moment.

You are focused on the simple things - keeping warm, food, water and basic survival.

kirgi08
05-06-2012, 16:54
:goodpost:

G29Reload
05-06-2012, 18:33
There will be times during SHTF that may actually be like this for a number of reasons.

PEople desperate and starving, WROL? Problem is anything big enough to cause that will also cut off a lot of fuel supplies. Its hard to go raping and pillaging if you don't have the juice to rollout your crew in the gang mini van or whatever.

A lot of people not so schooled in why things might be really bad are home clueless, hunkered down, just wondering when the govt will show to straighten things out so they can go back to watching American Idol.

Fuel shortages can have their benefits. As above, reducing mobility of the criminal class is one of them.

emt1581
05-06-2012, 19:04
There will be times during SHTF that may actually be like this for a number of reasons.

PEople desperate and starving, WROL? Problem is anything big enough to cause that will also cut off a lot of fuel supplies. Its hard to go raping and pillaging if you don't have the juice to rollout your crew in the gang mini van or whatever.

A lot of people not so schooled in why things might be really bad are home clueless, hunkered down, just wondering when the govt will show to straighten things out so they can go back to watching American Idol.

Fuel shortages can have their benefits. As above, reducing mobility of the criminal class is one of them.

I thought about something similar after I read what I'd written in my original post.

One of the reasons a prepper might be so calm and somewhat comfortable/comforted during a SHTF...even a WROL is because we HAVE prepared. So there is not so much to stress about because we've got the bases covered...at least longer than most will.

Those that are dependent on the government...which in turn is funded by those who work hard for a living...will be the ones (hopefully) culled by whatever situation the rest of us are able to survive but they will be in misery to say the least.

The power goes off for us, no big deal... we have heat, food, water, the ability to cook/bathe/clean/etc....whereas those who HAVE NOT prepared do not have those things...and up front they probably won't think of these things anyway. Like you say, no internet, no cell phone....dare I say it....no facebook... that is enough for them to pop a blood vessel!! After all, the right to access facebook is written somewhere in the constitution isn't it?!?

-Emt1581

02LimitedX
05-06-2012, 19:13
Well for me it's alot like being deployed to Afghanistan again. Life is so much simpler when you patrol and stand post. That's all you have to worry about, just doing your job. No bills, no gas prices, no piddly crap to worry about.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glock30Eric
05-06-2012, 20:13
Yup at big time. My skills kick in during SHTF.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine