BBerry 9700 AA charger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BBerry 9700 AA charger

swordsmn
05-06-2012, 17:48
Altho I have a car charger, I'd like to have a AA based emergency charger for my Blackberry Bold 9700. (for ghb etc)

Prefer it to work with 1 or 2 AA lithiums or even alkaline in a pinch.

I googled & see some single AA units but I'm scared they are "not good".

Can anyone recommend a unit they've owned/used?

Anyone know the connector on the 9700? there are too many usb mini variants out there.

thanks in advance!

G29Reload
05-06-2012, 18:28
I would see if you can get one of those small solar powered chargers that feeds a female USB port.

Then you can use your USB - mini HDMI (BB) wire harness that came with the bold (the one you use to hook up to your pc to sync and transfer files) to charge when you're in the field.

At home if there's a power failure and I'm really desperate, I can use my notebook's battery to backfeed my Bold.

Also, for extra juice if you still have a prior BB, see if the batteries swap so you have a spare. I had Storm I that burned out but the battery is still good. The old phone serves as a charger unit and I still have its AC so cannibalize for parts if you have one.

swordsmn
05-06-2012, 18:37
thx g29, good ideas, but I'm trying to deal with a situation like a traveling kid with their ghb at night & a dying cell phone.

this kid had dipped into her emergency bag often & she's been caught with a dead phone more than once. Trying to have a AA or 3 save the day.

plus, I've been caught enabling a gps using app, draining MY crack berry while away from off & car

I just think there's a place for emerge (non car) charging that's not solar.
This is more day to day commuter survival not true shtf

G29Reload
05-07-2012, 00:09
Do a search on mobile power solutions.

There are all kinds of things popping up now. One I've seen for the iphone, might be one for the BB, is a case, basically, it snaps on a new back to the phone and grips the phone with a wrap around frame. This is after connecting first the battery port on the phone. The back of this cover actually has a substantial battery inside and it quadruples the life of the phone. Charge it separately then snap it on.

quake
05-07-2012, 06:13
I carry a CE01-ipo emergency charger in my glovebox. It uses two AA's for an input, with a micro-usb for an output. It's intended for ipods & iphones, but it'll charge my LG smartphone and anything that uses a micro-usb as a power source.

It works, but is borderline, frankly. Pulling usb current (5.25 volts iirc) from two 1.5 volt AA's means upping the battery output current, and they do get warm when in use. They also don't last an extremely long time; I assume due to the same current/heat issues. My kindle fire uses the same charging connection, but I suspect it would kill the pair of AA's pretty quickly.

But for emergency use, it does fine for charging and even powering the phone. Matching strips of velcro on the phone & battery carrier, and a short 6" usb cord, make it useable with the AA battery pack in place instead of just dangling from the usb cord.

Bolster
05-07-2012, 12:12
FWIW, the output on the GoalZero Guide 10 plus USB Port is 1.0A, technically too hot for my BB Curve, at least. So be careful you're not overcharging your battery with the Guide 10 Plus.

Based on the rule of thumb of "half," for battery charging, the BB Curve has a 1550 mAh battery, meaning it would prefer a charge no hotter than .8A.

That means I can't use my GoalZero Guide 10 to charge my BB.

Poop.

However the older GoalZero 10 (no plus) would be ideal for a BB as they output .5A (but not for an iphone or ipad, which need more. Poop.)

swordsmn
05-09-2012, 22:46
I carry a CE01-ipo emergency charger in my glovebox. It uses two AA's for an input, with a micro-usb for an output. It's intended for ipods & iphones, but it'll charge my LG smartphone and anything that uses a micro-usb as a power source.

It works, but is borderline, frankly. Pulling usb current (5.25 volts iirc) from two 1.5 volt AA's means upping the battery output current, and they do get warm when in use. They also don't last an extremely long time; I assume due to the same current/heat issues. My kindle fire uses the same charging connection, but I suspect it would kill the pair of AA's pretty quickly.

But for emergency use, it does fine for charging and even powering the phone. Matching strips of velcro on the phone & battery carrier, and a short 6" usb cord, make it useable with the AA battery pack in place instead of just dangling from the usb cord.

Thanks quake, I grabbed two of these dirt cheap off amazon I think. Inexpensive enough to try out.

I appreciate all the ideas gang..