Federal 135gr .40? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Federal 135gr .40?

BigBearCarolina
05-06-2012, 18:37
I usually carry either a G23 or G27, loaded with 165gr Golden Sabres. Stopped by my local Wally World to grab some range ammo and ran across a Federal 135gr JHP in a black and silver box. Asked the guy behind the counter about it and he said he had received a case of it, and had heard it was the standard issue ammo for some Federal Agency, possibly the Border Patrol. I picked up a few boxes of it as my curiosity was piqued, and it was relatively inexpensive at $22/50. Are you familiar with this round, and if so do you have an opinion as to the viability of it as a SD round, or do you think 135gr seems light for an SD round in .40 S&W?

Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
05-06-2012, 23:34
Unknown quantity from my end. I believe the load you're talking about was developed for a major LE agency, but I'm not sure how much of it was issued or whether it was ever actually used in the field. The agency in question, last I knew, went to 180 grain subsonic instead.

If it turns out to be the same as Federal's low recoil personal defense 135 grain load, I only did one case where that was used. In that instance, the attacker was hit mid-torso and jack-knifed forward, staggered away from his attacker, and jumped in a car which his accomplice drove away. He died in the car. That would fit most folks standards for a "one-shot stop," but it's only one case.

That particular load was considerably lower in velocity than the Cor-Bon 135 grain JHP, which has variously used Sierra and Nosler bullets depending on the production run, and earned an excellent reputation as a man-stopper. If I was going to go with a 135 grain JHP in the .40 S&W, I would definitely want the full power (1300 fps or faster) Cor-Bon, or one of the similar loads from Buffalo Bore or DoubleTap.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
Mas

BigBearCarolina
05-11-2012, 17:41
Thanks for the reply. Your info was very helpful!