Slide Stop Engages Prematurely? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slide Stop Engages Prematurely?

whiteyemsr
05-06-2012, 18:43
I was shooting my Kimber Custom II today, and about 10 times out of 150 rounds the slide would lock back as if the magazine was empty. Except the magazine wouldn't be empty.

At first I thought my hand was bumping the slide stop with the recoil, but I made sure my hand was away from the stop and it still happened. It even happened when I would shoot the magazine one handed, so no chance I was nudging the slide stop into place.

It happened with multiple magazines (2 Tripps, 1 Wilson and 2 Colt mags).

Anyone know what's wrong with my gun? Thanks.

Hurricanes
05-06-2012, 21:20
I noticed the same thing happened to my RIA on my last range trip. Mags used were 3 Wilson ETMs, 1 Tripp Cobra, 2 Chip McCormick 10rds., and the factory ACT magazine with Wolff spring. While it didn't happen every time, it did happen a lot.

I had used all these magazines before, and it only happened a couple times my first time out with 1 of my Chip 10rd magazines, and never happened again. Though my last range visit was using RWS 230gr. FMJ. It was the first time I had used this ammunition, past range visits I've used Tula and Rem-UMC.

Was this your first time out with the gun? If not, have you made any changes to it?
-Joel

Jim Watson
05-07-2012, 07:37
A bullet nose is bumping the slide stop as it rises in the magazine, just like the follower does when empty.
Look for copper tracks on the slide stop lug where it protrudes into the magazine.
Take the slide and barrel off, put the slide stop back in and insert a loaded magazine. Look at the closest approach of bullet to slide stop; wiggle it around to see how much motion there is in recoil.
File to generate clearance, but don't take off so much that the slide stop doesn't engage the follower. It is a delicate balance.

I have heard of slide stops being engaged by recoil, and recommendations to drill a little detent in the end of the stop where contacted by the plunger in the down position. But I have seen it only with extended levers adding to the mass to flop around.

Rinspeed
05-07-2012, 07:50
Good advise from Jim, as always, but first call Kimber and they will send you a new slide stop. It's a known issue that Kimber got a bad batch of stops and they should send a new one no questions. After you get the new one you can take a file to the old one for a spare. If you can a set of calipers you can compare the two so you know how much material to remove.

Alizard
05-07-2012, 13:18
Slide stop needs fitting.

Jim Watson
05-07-2012, 13:55
The story I heard was that Kimber misfigured the shrinkage on their MIM slide stops. It IS a rather complex shape to mold in one go. Early ones were short and would not engage at all. Then they overcompensated and sent out slide stops that would engage prematurely by bullet contact.
At least you can cut the latter to fit, while there is nothing to be done to help the former except replace it.

smanocchio
05-07-2012, 14:16
Interesting...My stainless II did this last range trip with the new chip mccormick mags I just got.

whiteyemsr
05-12-2012, 09:59
I noticed the same thing happened to my RIA on my last range trip. Mags used were 3 Wilson ETMs, 1 Tripp Cobra, 2 Chip McCormick 10rds., and the factory ACT magazine with Wolff spring. While it didn't happen every time, it did happen a lot.

I had used all these magazines before, and it only happened a couple times my first time out with 1 of my Chip 10rd magazines, and never happened again. Though my last range visit was using RWS 230gr. FMJ. It was the first time I had used this ammunition, past range visits I've used Tula and Rem-UMC.

Was this your first time out with the gun? If not, have you made any changes to it?
-Joel

Sorry for the late response Joel. Strangely, similar to your situation, this was the first range session that I had this problem, despite a previous successful range session. However, in the previous range session, I only used the Colt mags.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to buy a new slide stop. I heard that Wilson Combat's "Bullet Proof," and Ed Brown's "Hardcore" are good. Any other suggestions on good brands for Kimbers?

knedrgr
05-12-2012, 14:07
10-8 Performance Gen2 slide stop. One of the best in the business.

A quality SS will also have a pin diameter that is 0.200 or 0.199". This will help to lock the barrel up tighter, thus helping with better grouping.

Rinspeed
05-12-2012, 16:26
EGW parts are as good as any out there.

m814
05-17-2012, 11:15
Just take a file and trim it to clear the bullet nose.