Reloading cost [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading cost

philb81b
05-07-2012, 17:45
Has anyone every figured the cost of reloading a .40 bullet with new brass? If so please let me know.:dunno:

SDGlock23
05-09-2012, 20:43
Depend on the bullet and brass, how much you paid. It's definitely cheaper, but using brand new brass makes the prices soar. Still cheaper than buying it off the shelf.

glockaviator
05-10-2012, 13:01
If you are careful you can make your brass last a long time. Maybe 10 or more loads? So brass is 1/10th the cost of piece of brass.

Roundball, figure reloading cost is 1/2 cost of factory ammo. There are a LOT of variables though that can change that..

But, if you figure in the cost of your reloading equipment, the cost goes up quite a bit. THAT all depends on how much you reload, how much you spend on reloading equipment etc.

Tell the wife it's 1/2 the cost!

TacticalTree
05-11-2012, 08:38
Reloading savings is always a numbers game. The advantages are in buying the components in large bulk quantities at good discounts and the re-usability of the brass. .40 S&W in an unsupported chamber will have a shorter useful life than some other cartridges, but still allows for some careful reforming and reloading. Buying components to load 10-500 rounds at a time will not be as cost effective as buying enough components to load 1000+ rounds, so stock up.

TX expat
05-11-2012, 09:02
Yup, there are so many variables that it's almost impossible to come up with "averages". If you plan to buy small quantities of everything at your local gun shop, you'll probably pay more than just buying range ammo at Walmart. If you don't mind spending a fair amount of up front cost, then you can purchase all of the supplies in bulk and drop your costs well below 'retail' ammo costs.

countrygun
05-11-2012, 09:38
Has anyone every figured the cost of reloading a .40 bullet with new brass? If so please let me know.:dunno:

OK, I'm feeling nitpicky this morning.

A "bullet" is the projectile that goes into, and discharges from a "cartridge". "bullets" are generally hard to "reload" due to deformation and changes is shape during the first firing.

If one is using "new" brass it would not be "Reloading" since none of the components are being "RE" used. It would be "Handloading".
:tongueout:

Now that that is out of the way, I have found a neat way to avoid worrying about the cost (which is IMO, rarely effective finacially using new components) For a common caliber like the .40 I hardly ever have need of new brass, since if I shoot it enough to need to save on the ammo, I probably then, have a pile of brass BUT on other, less common rounds, 10mm .41 mag, .44 special, I buy new brass to make handloads that are not commonly available from the factories. this might be heavier bullets, higher velocity (10mm), lower velocity .41, .44 mag etc. I then simply look at it as the "cost of getting what I want".

If you have a very fast progressive it will still take you thousands of rounds to "break even" with all new components. If you have to buy the press and start from scratch with all new components, I would say do it 40 hrs a week for about 3 months and you might make it to "break even" (that is actually just a SWAG, off the top of my head)

I have never known anyone who made it pay off to use new components for a common caliber. Buying new brass is for testing loads or loading rare or uncommon calibers. .264 Winchester and 6mm Rmington come to mind.

WeeWilly
05-13-2012, 21:10
A lot depends on what components you are using.

If you want jacketed bullet, new brass, basically like factory new ammo it would go something like this: $.14/case, $.12/bullet, $.03/primer, $.015/powder for a grand total of, call it $.31/round or $15.50 for a box of 50. This is all premium components.

If you buy once fired brass, use a plated bullet, you are quickly down to $.19/round or $9.50 a box of 50.

If you are willing to pick up your brass and load lead bullets you buy from a premium source, call it $.12/round or $6. a box of 50.

For maximum savings, you can cast your own lead bullets call it $.09/round or $4.50 a box of 50.

This doesn't include the cost of the reloading equipment, or your time of course.

Poohgyrr
08-15-2012, 14:48
What WeeWilly posted!

Depending on how often you shoot, and how many rounds, the savings should pay for all the equipment.

I began handloading in the 1980's when I realized how much I was paying to shoot twice every week, 100 to 200 rounds each trip.

The equipment was paid for within a few months.