Prepping for vacation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for vacation?

emt1581
05-08-2012, 04:53
I posed this question last year but I can't find the thread and I honestly haven't given thought to the issue any time recently until now. But after the year we've had, and the fact that we haven't gone on a vacation in over 12 years....we're due.

We're actually going to Florida and going to stay with my cousin. He does the same each year when he comes up here.

Anyway, since I've never gone on a vacation from the time I started carrying 10 years ago, it'll be slightly different this time.

I plan on throwing at least one unloaded pistol in with my luggage so it keeps the luggage monkey's grubby paws out of my stuff. I was also thinking of mailing some gear down there ahead of us.

But mainly I'm curious what you take/have with you when you... 1) Fly and 2) Are on vacation?

And BTW, I'm good to go with guns because Florida has reciprocity with PA.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-08-2012, 06:27
You don't just throw an unloaded pistol in your baggage. Go to both the TSA's site, and the EXACT airline you are going to fly website. Read, follow the instructions, and most importantly PRINT the guidence/instructions, and take them with you. Between the wife and I we have flown out of our little L'ville airport a couple dozen times with weapons, and trust me, it's always a bit of a hassel, and 8 out of 10 times, the agent at the gate does NOT know either the TSA requirements, or their OWN airlines policy. And of course if you can't show them their own info, they WILL tell you "we can't/don't/won't do that". Heard it more than once.

Do not take this as "instructions", but you need a TSA approved locking case, magazine out and empty, and ammo in a secure box. I use a pelican, with cut outs for my G27, 3 mags and a box of ammo.

Oh.. the rest of your question.. we do our best not to vacation anywhere we are not happy with the local laws/rules/regulations. Now days we do most of our vacation time camping in a travel trailer, so no problems. But for instance, we have been to Disney World several times, but DisneyLand only once, and only because work had us there for a conference.

20South
05-08-2012, 07:32
cash cash and more cash. I try not to fly anywhere for vacation with the family, but if I do that is the number one thing I make sure I have. If we are driving, nothing else changes from what is in the vehicles already. I think trying to take supplies to cover us in case of an event during the 3-4 days we would be away would likely just unnecessarily double what we have to carry and with my luck, get stolen from a hotel room/rental car while we were out being tourists. I can carry the cash or easily put it in a hotel safe. Besides, if shtf while we are 1000 miles from home, chances are that is my new home. There isn't going to be much chance of getting back with all my young kids anyway.

RatDrall
05-09-2012, 04:19
I bring a small bag with basic gear in my suitcase. If space is a concern it's a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack Jumbo. If I have the room, or if I am going to be doing any hiking, I'll take a Pygmy Falcon. Everything from my bugout bag, except for a coat and a change of clothes, fits into the Pygmy.

You should always have what you need to quickly bug out if you have to.

TangoFoxtrot
05-09-2012, 04:37
Yeah go ahead and just throw that pistol into your bag before your flight. "Click Click"

DoctaGlockta
05-09-2012, 08:17
The pistol can and often is an issue. TSA is a bunch of FU's if you ask me so this is my advice.

Call the airline and specifically the checkin of your airport and speak to someone there at the terminal. Get their name and employee number. Ask them about the procedure.

This is most important. Ask them if they sell pistol cases at the counter. Yes you may pay more but you know that the TSA has less of a chance of saying 'This one is no good' when you can tell them that Crash Airlines just sold me it at the counter. If they don't then actually go to the airport and talk to a TSA agent (get name and number) and see what is acceptable.

You don't want to have to go back to the car and put it in the glove box right before your flight. Or have the TSA cuff you and blacklist you.

Good luck.

Kieller
05-09-2012, 10:44
I have flown with my pistol checked. They have extensive requirements and you must declare it when you check your baggage. Look up the requirements for your airline.

Major PITA to deal with. I won't do it again.

rem2429
05-09-2012, 14:08
every time I have flown with a gun has been a different experience.
get thier early, informed and equipped.
maybe if your family has a gun you could just skip that part?
do a little advance research on where you are going and how you could get out if needed. Roads, resources, emergency contacts etc. Then quit freaking worrying and take a vacation. That is what it is for.

emt1581
05-09-2012, 14:18
Ok, so OTHER THAN putting a gun in your luggage....what do you take with you or ship ahead of time?

Thanks

-Emt1581

gotplastic
05-09-2012, 18:38
I have checked firearms numerous times and there are relatively few TSA requirements to meet. The two things to remember are 1-TSA can not remove the firearm or container from your sight; until it is locked back in your bag. 2-If you start getting any grief from TSA immediately request they have an actual police officer called over. The cop wont do anything, but his presence will deter the TSA wannabes from acting like bigshots. This is helped me big time on two occasions.

Aceman
05-09-2012, 18:54
I seriously think shipping to a local FFA would be faster, cheaper, easier, and safer. Go get it when you get there.

Lone Kimono
05-10-2012, 10:58
I seriously think shipping to a local FFA would be faster, cheaper, easier, and safer. Go get it when you get there.

I see why you would say that, but paying $45-$50 to ship it next day, and the FFL fee both ways is going to be over a hundred dollars. Buy a pelican case, get TSA approved locks, and you shouldn't have a problem. I've flown with pistols and it wasn't a problem at all...from a very liberal city too.

FYI, anyone going on Disney property can't have a gun. They could care less about concealed carry rights.

sebecman
05-10-2012, 11:51
When you get to London, if you need a gun, call Boris. He can get you anything you want.

20South
05-10-2012, 11:54
When you get to London, if you need a gun, call Boris. He can get you anything you want.

Sneaky &*()^!* Russians!

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-10-2012, 13:09
FYI, anyone going on Disney property can't have a gun. They could care less about concealed carry rights.

Yep that's right... lol.

Got 2 dozen or so days in the Magic Kingdom/Downtown Disney/Universal/Animal Kingdom and Sea World.. all of them with a G27 on my hip. Never even given a second look. You can't have them in Shades Of Green either... where we stay almost everytime we go.

Bilbo Bagins
05-10-2012, 13:35
Yep that's right... lol.

Got 2 dozen or so days in the Magic Kingdom/Downtown Disney/Universal/Animal Kingdom and Sea World.. all of them with a G27 on my hip. Never even given a second look. You can't have them in Shades Of Green either... where we stay almost everytime we go.

+1

I just got back and there is NO signage regarding weapons. Everyone refers to the case where the lady had a Beretta Tomcat in her bag. They do check your bags, but its a real light check, a shade above a peek inside. Let's be honest here, its private property, and they are in the right to ask you to leave if they do not wish for you to come in armed. They are REALLY worried about Hajis and Crazies doing something more then anything.

While I didn't carry my G27, I have had everything from a 3" folder to a Kel Tec P32 in the parks. Honestly, you don't really need it and I only had the gun because I drove down with it. Disney security is pretty good. We had a thread about how rowdy drunks are whisked away by security/police that pop out of secret passages, with the efficiency of KGB agents.

Flying and checking in a gun is a PITA and you also have to worry about theft. I usually just stick with a knife, that I put in the CHECK luggage, not the carry on stuff. This trip I had a CRKT M16. If you feel that is not enough (and I have done this going to Universal) stop in any drug store and get pepper spray.

EMT you MUST check in your handgun with the airline when flying.

emt1581
05-10-2012, 15:01
As far as Disney, I have as much respect for their rules as they do for my rights...so it's a mutual level of respect there.

I've carried in plenty of places that it's against the rules.... this is not to say I've ever broken a law though...big differences.

Home Depot can kiss me between the back pockets as well...

-Emt1581

quake
05-10-2012, 15:54
As far as Disney, I have as much respect for their rules as they do for my rights...so it's a mutual level of respect there.
Way I look at it is that when I'm on their private property, violating their rules is trampling their rights. Their right to do as they please, on their private property. I don't have the right to carry at disney if they don't want me to, any more than I have the right to carry in your living room if you don't want me to.

I've carried in plenty of places that it's against the rules.... this is not to say I've ever broken a law though...big differences.
Not in arkansas at least; no difference at all.

Can't speak for disney or florida, but here in arkansas, 'breaking the rules' does equal 'breaking the law', if the rules are posted properly. If they put up a sign saying "carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited", that means that carrying is illegal there. Personally I don't mind that on private property like disney, a store, etc. I want the right to control what happens on my property, and to be consistent & intellectually honest means that I have to allow others that same right on their private property; disney world included.

RED64CJ5
05-10-2012, 16:31
Simple. If you need a firearm on your vacation, don't go.

There are plenty of other firearm-friendly things you can do.

racerford
05-10-2012, 18:17
I see why you would say that, but paying $45-$50 to ship it next day, and the FFL fee both ways is going to be over a hundred dollars. Buy a pelican case, get TSA approved locks, and you shouldn't have a problem. I've flown with pistols and it wasn't a problem at all...from a very liberal city too.

I have been 10 times in the last 3 years. I have never seen a sign. I am aware there was a bog todo about not letting emploees have them anywhere including the parking lot.

While there is a bag search at the entrance, you do not have to empty your pockets, lift your shirt or go through a metal detector. I do not believe that Florida law prohibits carry. So concealed means concealed. They can pretty much throw you out for anything, so I do not worry about their rules which are not apparent.

Bilbo Bagins
05-10-2012, 18:39
I have been 10 times in the last 3 years. I have never seen a sign. I am aware there was a bog todo about not letting emploees have them anywhere including the parking lot.

While there is a bag search at the entrance, you do not have to empty your pockets, lift your shirt or go through a metal detector. I do not believe that Florida law prohibits carry. So concealed means concealed. They can pretty much throw you out for anything, so I do not worry about their rules which are not apparent.

+1 on that.

Honestly there is not a bad neighborhood in Disneyworld. The worst that could happen is some haji or nutcase going on a shooting spree, and your top priority is to get your family out of there. If you feel the need to go armed , a pocket pistol will do.

Getting into a substained firefight will only make you a target for the Disney snipers and SWAT teams.

rotjovi
05-10-2012, 18:58
I fly with a firearm every 2 to 3 weeks now. I use a Nano 300 combination mini safe for the gun. Wrap the cable around the inside bottom support bar inside the luggage bag of choice. Declare to the ticket agent/baggage check in clerk "That I would like to declare a firearm. It is unloaded and cased and ready for inspection.". She gives you an orange ticket to sign and date. Lock the safe, put the orange tag on top of it and padlock the suitcase with a TAA numbered lock. Wait 10 minutes right there in case the TSA's in the back have questions.

After that, go out and have one last smoke. Then go through security and board the damn plane. Easy as pie!!

Lone Kimono
05-11-2012, 11:57
I'm glad you all carried and got away with it. That being said, if they see it they may ask you to leave the park, regardless if they have posted signs or not. I was just trying to give everyone a heads up since tickets are expensive...especially with a family.

racerford
05-11-2012, 14:57
I'm glad you all carried and got away with it. That being said, if they see it they may ask you to leave the park, regardless if they have posted signs or not. I was just trying to give everyone a heads up since tickets are expensive...especially with a family.

DisneyWorld does indeed prohit carry in thier parks:

Prohibited Items

The following are not allowed to be brought into the Disney Theme Parks:
•Items with wheels, ........... (although wheelchairs are allowed which seems to in conflict with the rules)
•Alcoholic beverages (although you can buy them in some places)
•Weapons of any kind (so no multi-tools, pocket knives, scissors, sticks, swords even though you can buy thoses in the park)
•Folding chairs
•Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
•Pets (unless they are service animals)
•In Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted. Note: they now have biodegradable paper straws.

Bold Italics are my comments.

I did not say that I carried there or got away with it. However, as I said if caught you could be thrown out and your tickets forfeited. That would leave you out a lot of money. It is not illegal to carry there. However; if caught and asked to leave, don't argue, leave. It is a felony tresspass if you fail to leave. At that point forfeiting tickets will be the least of your worries.

I have found the parks safe, but like anywhere else that has a lot of youths things can happen and IIRC there have been shootings. Pepper spray may be a better option, but it may be considered a "weapon" as well since that is not a defined term. Perhaps bring a non-weapon that could be used defensively.

Have fun it is the happiest place on earth. :supergrin:

emt1581
05-11-2012, 17:23

Tickets are definitely expensive. And when you put it like that, I suppose it's ok to compromise my family's safety in exchange for some rides and overpriced food... :dunno:

-Emt1581

emt1581
05-11-2012, 17:26
I did not say that I carried there or got away with it. However, as I said if caught you could be thrown out and your tickets forfeited. That would leave you out a lot of money. It is not illegal to carry there. However; if caught and asked to leave, don't argue, leave. It is a felony tresspass if you fail to leave. At that point forfeiting tickets will be the least of your worries.

I have found the parks safe, but like anywhere else that has a lot of youths things can happen and IIRC there have been shootings. Pepper spray may be a better option, but it may be considered a "weapon" as well since that is not a defined term. Perhaps bring a non-weapon that could be used defensively.

Have fun it is the happiest place on earth. :supergrin:

Completely agree with that first paragraph.

As far as pepper spray, I'd only agree if it were ILLEGAL to carry, and in that case, I'd probably avoid the parks altogether.

-Emt1581

emt1581
05-11-2012, 17:27
Seems like this thread has really focused on guns.

Do yall take any OTHER S&P gear with you on vacation??

Thanks

-Emt1581

17119jfkioe
05-11-2012, 17:49

Thanks

-Emt1581

Life alert

gotplastic
05-11-2012, 18:31

How could it possible be cheaper since airlines dont charge a fee for a firearm?

malleable
05-11-2012, 20:08
It's a vacation! Try to relax and have fun. Yes, something can happen anywhere but unless your taking the family to Compton for a week, enjoy.

Batesmotel
05-12-2012, 04:56
Spare Rx glasses and sun glasses.
Spare meds in needed
Photo copy of ID
List of phone numbers in wallet if phone is lost
Copy of credit card numbers, insurance numbers Etc
Lots of extra cash.

Lone Kimono
05-12-2012, 12:22
Tickets are definitely expensive. And when you put it like that, I suppose it's ok to compromise my family's safety in exchange for some rides and overpriced food... :dunno:

-Emt1581

You'll be safe there, if not there will be plenty of foreigners to use for cover ;)

Hope you have a great trip!

Cali-Glock
05-12-2012, 15:29
GHB, walking shoes & pistol.

emt1581
05-12-2012, 19:00
You'll be safe there, if not there will be plenty of foreigners to use for cover ;)

Hope you have a great trip!

Last time I was there the foreigners were running in to me. Seriously! A group of Brazillians (or so their shirts said) were spread 5 wide, arms interlocked, and they were singing and skipping through the street... bastards plowed right into us with not so much as a sorry or a look back!!

Now sure that was a situational awareness error on my part and in my defense I was 12 at the time and this was pre-carry/S&P mentality...and no that is not something even remotely calling for a gun...but dammit was that aggrivating! :steamed:

-Emt1581

Lone Kimono
05-13-2012, 09:48
Last time I was there the foreigners were running in to me. Seriously! A group of Brazillians (or so their shirts said) were spread 5 wide, arms interlocked, and they were singing and skipping through the street... bastards plowed right into us with not so much as a sorry or a look back!!

Now sure that was a situational awareness error on my part and in my defense I was 12 at the time and this was pre-carry/S&P mentality...and no that is not something even remotely calling for a gun...but dammit was that aggrivating! :steamed:

-Emt1581

Yeah, that had to have been upsetting. Hope this time is different for you.

RatDrall
05-14-2012, 04:33

Thanks

-Emt1581

At least one person addressed this earlier in the thread.

You should always have at least a small BoB, with whatever you'd need if you had to ditch wherever you are staying, wherever you go. Especially when you go to a place where you have little support (nearby friends and family).

In the small BoB (backpack or versipack or messenger bag) you should have at least the bare minimum for water (and the ability to collect and purify it), warmth, shelter (GI poncho or any hiking tarp/poncho), first aid, defense, and food. Maps of the area, since you are not familiar, are important.

It doesn't take up much space to pack a small backpack like a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon.

Tvov
05-14-2012, 05:47
The big preparedness issue I ran into in our camper vacations up and down the east coast was.... remembering to call the credit card companies! I don't travel much out of state. We were down in Disney World 4 years ago, and when I went to gas up my truck getting ready to tow home the next morning, my card was denied. I used another card with no problem, but it was a reminder to call them next time. When I got home there was a message from Capital One reporting a security issue, that my card was being used out of state. I called them back, told them everything was fine, and thanked them for their security program.

Last year when we went again to DW, I called the credit card companies and had no problems. Tell them roughly where you'll be going, and give them a time frame.

Tvov
05-14-2012, 05:48
Oh, as to other preparedness stuff, we are usually towing a small house behind us, with pretty much everything we need.