Help me understand before I climb on my soap box. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand before I climb on my soap box.

Merrixs
05-08-2012, 05:47
I am writing this with peaceful intentions.

I thought I took the time to research, learn, and understand what everyone was talking about in regards to the stock Glock barrel chamber.

Part of my confusion might be that I am not familiar with the older guns as I have a 3 generation G20 born at the beginning of 2012.

I purchased a Lonewolf 6.6" 10mm barrel to shoot lead out of, and eventually make a long slide.

In my opinion the feed ramps on my two barrels are almost the same. The Glock chamber is however larger in diameter than it needs to be. I understand this to be for reliable feeding in harsh/dirty conditions. I do not see it as being under supported. To me under supported would be the feed ramp going up into the chamber farther than it needs to be, and that being said any barrel that has a feed ramp cut into the chamber (all barrels by all manufacturers) could be considered under supported.

My Glock barrel will bulge the brass from its larger chamber, but I don't understand all the talk about under supported glock barrels. Am I missing something?

Thanks to all that contribute good peaceful info.

nickE10mm
05-08-2012, 08:54
I am writing this with peaceful intentions.

I thought I took the time to research, learn, and understand what everyone was talking about in regards to the stock Glock barrel chamber.

Part of my confusion might be that I am not familiar with the older guns as I have a 3 generation G20 born at the beginning of 2012.

I purchased a Lonewolf 6.6" 10mm barrel to shoot lead out of, and eventually make a long slide.

In my opinion the feed ramps on my two barrels are almost the same. The Glock chamber is however larger in diameter than it needs to be. I understand this to be for reliable feeding in harsh/dirty conditions. I do not see it as being under supported. To me under supported would be the feed ramp going up into the chamber farther than it needs to be, and that being said any barrel that has a feed ramp cut into the chamber (all barrels by all manufacturers) could be considered under supported.

My Glock barrel will bulge the brass from its larger chamber, but I don't understand all the talk about under supported glock barrels. Am I missing something?

Thanks to all that contribute good peaceful info.

From what we understand, the Gen3 G20's have increased support (ie, more feedramp support at 6 o'clock) over the 1st and 2nd generation G20's.

As for the LW barrel, they are normally quite tight (both in diameter and excellent ramp support)... HOWEVER, I've been hearing that a few of them recently have wayyy less 6 o'clock support in their ramps. Maybe you have a recent LW barrel that has a more open chamber? Also, keep in mind that VISUALLY there won't often be a huge difference but with calipers there may be quite a bit...

Each situation / barrel is different but in most cases, the recent gen 3 G20's will have acceptable ramp support but some LW and most of the Storm Lake, KKM and Barsto's will have MUCH better support at both 6 o'clock and all around support that a stock Glock barrel. **That's not to say that an aftermarket barrel is absolutely necessary, however**

Clear as mud? (sorry, in hurry, at work) :tongueout:

zippyhuntin
05-08-2012, 14:07
My KKM barrel has noticeably more support at the feed ramp than my stock Gen 3 barrel. The stock feed ramp extends well past the case web, and that's when you end up with the "guppy bellies" and "Glock smiles".

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/zippyhuntin/gun%20stuff/10mmcaseweb.jpg

nickE10mm
05-08-2012, 15:18
Yep, Zippy... my Barsto barrel is NIGHT AND DAY better than my stock barrel, but my stock barrel is still okay (at least its not too bad... i mean, it IS a Glock).

VN350X10
05-08-2012, 19:52
It seems that 10MM Glock barrels vary a lot in this respect. My G20 is a very early Gen2 & the only time I've had a problem was with overloaded ammo. When the head of a case evaporates, that's an overload ! Powder co. misprint, many years ago, long since corrected by them. But the 20 survived it & currently has in excess of 18K rds. thru it.
Normal loads show no "smile" & all brass is reloadable, if I can find it.

uncle albert

Huntersun2
05-08-2012, 20:28
Great thread and all the above replies make sense. So as I'm interested in this also I took a look at my G20 gen 2 1/2 (I think, finger groves no rail) and compared the factory barrel to my LW, both have what appears to be similar support. While playing with the two I did notice the LW chamber had no play while the factory barrel was "sloppy", any thought's?

Merrixs
05-09-2012, 04:17
That's just Glocks eat anything even when dirty chamber.

Lowjiber
05-09-2012, 05:29
that's just glocks eat anything even when dirty chamber.
Amen!

swinokur
05-09-2012, 06:58
Another issue is reloaders like aftermarket barrels because they can handle lead bullets., not including some hard cast bullets. That may be a bigger issue than chamber support for those of us who just buy factory ammo.

Kegs
05-09-2012, 09:05
The stock chambers are too big to run hot loads through because the more you bend the brass out of its original shape, the weaker the brass becomes through stretching.

This is the problem. This is particularly the problem with how far the ramp encroaches the chamber, although it has been reported that more recent stock barrels have been improved from that standpoint.

As for "runs even with a dirty chamber" - who the hell in their right mind would let a chamber get THAT dirty - seriously, the gaping hole of the stock chamber would have to be filled with gritty mud in order to not chamber a round.

The variance is so large on stock barrels it borders ridiculous. Aftermarket barrels (with far superior case support vs. stock) will fire completely reliable with "dirty chambers" as well - dirty from carbon build up, not dirty from pre-gunfight mud wrestling with the slide left open...:upeyes: