New 29SF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New 29SF

Telocky
05-08-2012, 07:38
Hey all,

I'm a long time Glock owner but first time with a 10mm. Just picked up a 29SF and have a few questions to get me rolling.

I can hunt with a 4 inch barrel in Colorado. Can I just use a barrel from a G20?

I've seen some threads on converting to a 40 cal. Has anybody done this without hiccup? Is it just a mag change and conversion barrel?

Lastly - I'm looking for a leather thumb-break type holster - and am not having great luck on finding one for the 29. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

GRT45
05-08-2012, 07:59
Hi Telocky, welcome to The 10 Ring

I can hunt with a 4 inch barrel in Colorado. Can I just use a barrel from a G20?

No, it isn't possible to exchange barrels between a G20 and G29. The locking lugs of the barrel in the full size G20 are different than the locking lugs of the subcompact G29. An aftermarket extended length barrel for the G29 will be required to satisfy the 4-inch minimum length restriction.

Below is a photo of the G29 (top) and G20 (bottom) barrel lugs courtesy of GT member oceanbob:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2cn6wy9.jpg

SDGlock23
05-08-2012, 08:00
The G20 barrel won't fit in your G29sf. However there are some aftermarket barrels that will fit that are extended, even over 4".

I have used a KKM 40cal conversion barrel in my G20sf without any problems whatsoever, and I would recommend one. You can buy a cheaper LoneWolf barrel, but they're not as good. Oh, and you use your G29 mags for the 40cal conversion too, .40 cal mags won't fit.

Look at Don Hume holsters, I know they make some good inexpensive leather holsters with the option of a thumb break, like this one:
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H721SALE/Don-Hume-Double-Nine-H721-Belt-Holster.html

nickE10mm
05-08-2012, 08:48
Hey all,

I'm a long time Glock owner but first time with a 10mm. Just picked up a 29SF and have a few questions to get me rolling.

I've seen some threads on converting to a 40 cal. Has anybody done this without hiccup? Is it just a mag change and conversion barrel?

Lastly - I'm looking for a leather thumb-break type holster - and am not having great luck on finding one for the 29. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you don't mind my asking, where did you find a G29SF? I haven't seen many in stock anywhere, including the big places online I usually see them....

67November
05-08-2012, 09:35
Congratulations on the G29SF! Since I picked mine up, I've shot it more than the other three combined.

For those looking for a G29SF, my LGS had one the last time I was there. This is in Las Vegas.

YMMV

swinokur
05-08-2012, 10:59
More pix of difference in locking lugs

This compares a G30 to a G21. Same difference as a G20 and a G29

I think GT member Butch did these.

Telocky
05-08-2012, 11:27
Thanks guys!

I've been lurking here for years... finally took the plunge. I'm doing what I can to support this caliber and am trying to persuade friends to join me and do the same.

So, what you are all saying is I need an aftermarket barrel to shoot 10mm for hunting purposes? Any recommendations?

I also need an aftermarket KKM barrel, for example, to shoot 40 cal - but use my factory 10mm mags????

nickE10mm - PM Sent.

bac1023
05-08-2012, 20:44
Congrats on the G29.

_The_Shadow
05-08-2012, 20:54
Congrats! I use a Storm Lake 40S&W conversion, tight chamber specs. I actually want to open up / round off the chamber some.

HiVel
05-09-2012, 17:00
i have been looking for a 29SF for over a month and have not been able to find a single one-the LGS dude sez, "they are not very popular", so I sez , "can u get me one?" , so he sez " no". WTF?? He did not even call anyone. are we screwed or what ? Is Gen 4 coming? What??
IMHO this is a super gun andI wan tone! But cannot fin done even used around here.

67November
05-09-2012, 18:08
I have a KKM .40S&W conversion barrel. Have put about 500 rounds of Federal through it without a hitch.

I also have the Storm Lake extended 10mm barrel and a KKM 10mm standard length. All have been flawless.

YMMV

TexasDogmeat
05-10-2012, 07:08
Call www.sierraguns.com (http://www.sierraguns.com) , in Clinton, Utah. They have the 29SF or just about anything you want! all you would have to do is have it shipped to your dealer and transfer it there.
I put a Lone Wolf standard 10mm barrel on my 29SF to shoot the heavy lead DT loads for woods carry. I then have tried it with the Buffalo Bore 155 TAC; the Corbon 135 Powerball; and the Balser 200 TMJ. Functioning has been flawless, accuracy has been indeed match quality. I either got a good one or Lone Wolf has been getting a bad rap fpr a few bad experiences. I had a Storm lake conversion for a .40 to .357SIG once and it too was a good experience ( except for how stinking loud the .357SIG is!ha) Since I have not had any malfunctions, I keep the LW barrel in my 29SF for carry duty also. I was amazed at how flat the 10mm shoots also, for my purposes, a 20 would'nt make any difference, so I'm glad I got the 29 first. Good luck to you.

alwaysshootin
05-10-2012, 08:28
Would like to add, even though Colorado only requires a 4" barrel, do yourself a favor and get as long as you can stand. The longer the barrel, the more velocity you will get out of a round. Where hunting is concerned, the more the better. On the other hand, if you got a G20, you'd have more than enough!

Telocky
05-10-2012, 14:09
Thanks for the great responses. I truly appreciate the feedback - you guys are a class act. I went with a 4.6 inch (10MM) Lone Wolf Barrel for now partly because in my quick search I didn't find anything longer for the 29. It should suffice for my needs.

Bac - my next purchase will be a higher end 1911 and I will continue to look at your reviews for guidance. Thanks for all your work on putting that together!

Telocky
05-11-2012, 10:17
One last question. I assume I can use G20 mags in the 29SF for 15 rounds. First - is my assumption correct and if so - has anyone seen a grip extension sleeve - where?

Thanks!

swinokur
05-11-2012, 10:28
yes.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/magazine-adapters-a-g/

Telocky
05-11-2012, 11:16
Thanks for the quick reply Swinokur. They can thank you for my business...

chemboy
05-11-2012, 15:15
Hey all,

Thanks!

Congrats on your new 10mm. :cool:

chemboy
05-11-2012, 15:16
i have been looking for a 29SF for over a month and have not been able to find a single one-the LGS dude sez, "they are not very popular", so I sez , "can u get me one?" , so he sez " no". WTF?? He did not even call anyone. are we screwed or what ? Is Gen 4 coming? What??
IMHO this is a super gun andI wan tone! But cannot fin done even used around here.

I just picked up a G29SF at my local shop today, he had to order it for me, and he had to keep checking with different dealers for a few days-but they are out there.

Hope you find one soon!