Why College Students Should Be Allowed to CC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why College Students Should Be Allowed to CC

JAS104
05-08-2012, 07:56
http://thedp.com/index.php/article/2012/05/gunpoint_robbery_reported_at_chipotle_0506

Robbery at gunpoint 4 times this past week on University of Penn's campus. Regardless of having its own nationally accredited department, these things still happen. A Mexican Resturaunt right across the street from the dorms, and 2 cafes close by. One of the cafes was hit twice in 5 days. All they've got on descirption is a White Mail, 5'10", early 20s. Can't be many of them around..

TheJ
05-08-2012, 08:10
So are you saying there should be a special legal exception to carry laws for college students?

Or are you saying carrying should be legal at 18 and there should be no prohibition against carrying on college campuses?

Or are you trying to say something else?

Jerry
05-08-2012, 10:39
So are you saying there should be a special legal exception to carry laws for college students?

Or are you saying carrying should be legal at 18 and there should be no prohibition against carrying on college campuses?

I think he's saying all those darn White guys look alike. :rofl: :dunno:

JAS104
05-08-2012, 13:06

I'm saying that the 2nd amendment shouldn't end as soon as you step on campus. These kids should be allowed to CC if theyre of age.

JAS104
05-08-2012, 13:07
I'm saying that the 2nd amendment shouldn't end as soon as you step on campus. These kids should be allowed to CC if theyre of age.

teehee.
When the Occupy was "occupying" city hall here in Philadelphia I was walking through to get to the subway to visit my grandmother, and APPARENTLY got too close to the rev. Jessee Jackson for his security's liking. Everybody else was shaking his hand, bumpin past him, etc. Guess me being white got the security riled up. Or it coulda been the NRA hat. :whistling:

WT
05-08-2012, 15:57
Hold on!

One should remember that PENN students are Quakers.

TheJ
05-08-2012, 18:01

I agree. I think the evidence is pretty strong that the disarmed victim zones aren't really a positive thing. However, I think too many people get caught up in the weeds on this stuff. Carrying on college campuses is not really about "arming students". That's how opponents of campus carry get away with playing on public fears of drunken students having gun fights and demagogue the issue... It's really about ANY ADULT who can already legally carry everywhere else being denied that civil right just because they stepped onto campus property. If those adults who can already legally carry everywhere else happen to be students then thats fine too.

JAS104
05-08-2012, 21:46
I agree. I think the evidence is pretty strong that the disarmed victim zones aren't really a positive thing. However, I think too many people get caught up in the weeds on this stuff. Carrying on college campuses is not really about "arming students". That's how opponents of campus carry get away with playing on public fears of drunken students having gun fights and demagogue the issue... It's really about ANY ADULT who can already legally carry everywhere else being denied that civil right just because they stepped onto campus property. If those adults who can already legally carry everywhere else happen to be students then thats fine too.

I agree with you. Not like we should go in there and say, welcome to college life! Will it be automatic or wheel gun? Just that if you're a responsible CCing adult you shoul be able to carry there as well. I mean... Maybe tragedys like VTech could be stopped.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TexasFats
05-10-2012, 11:47
As one who is a professor in a state where carrying, even with a CHL, in campus buildings is a Third-Degree Felony, I really wish that they would allow concealed handguns to everyone who qualifies for the license. Actually, I favor no license required as long as someone is of legal age to carry, but that is another thread.

As it stands, I have no way to protect my students or myself against criminal attack on campus. What is really strange is that a 21-year old student, with a CHL can be fast-tracked past security checkpoints and allowed to carry in the Texas State Capitol Building but not in my classroom. Also, the stereotypical 18-22-year old college student is actually a minority on our campus. Over half of our students are older and either getting their degree later in life through evening courses or they are in a Master's degree program and may have had their Bachelor's degree for years. Why do people think that they would be too untrustworthy to allow to carry in a classroom?

It is all about turning us into dependent peasants and serfs instead of armed citizens.