Steyr M95/24? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Steyr M95/24?

RHVEtte
05-08-2012, 17:26
I stopped into the local gunshop today and I ended up walking out with what I thought was a Steyr M95 straight pull rifle. When I went to chamber the ammo, though, I noticed it wouldn't even begin to chamber.:wow: Closer inspection revealed that it appears to be an M95/24 which is chambered in 8mm Mauser instead of 8x56R. Is there a way to safely tell for sure what I picked up and what it's worth? There's not a lot of info online about identifying them.

TN.Frank
05-08-2012, 17:50
Best thing to do is get a chamber cast made then measure it to see what you've got. IIRC the straight pull Steyr's were chambered for two different cartridges, both based on the 8x56r but one was a more modern design that used a different bullet. Let me google the heck out of it and find out a bit more.

Ok, the gun was originally chambered in 8x50mmR Mannlicher, then it went to the 8x56R and there were some chambered in 8x57mm as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr-Mannlicher_M1895
http://world.guns.ru/rifle/repeating-rifle/at/steyr-mannlicher-m95-e.html
I'd still say your best bet is to get a chamber cast made up, then you'll know for sure.

RHVEtte
05-08-2012, 18:15
What do I use to make a chamber casting? Can I plug the barrel with a wooden dowel and a cleaning patch to snug it up and then make the casting with wax?

m2hmghb
05-08-2012, 20:23
Cerrosafe alloy.

How to measure a chamber using Cerrosafe casting alloy - YouTube

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/462291/cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-1-2-lb?cm_vc=993BrandPopProd

If it is 8x57 I personally would not fire it unless it was with light handloads, the same for the Italian Carcano rifles redone in 8x57.

TN.Frank
05-08-2012, 20:45
Cerrosafe alloy.

Ditto. Won't shrink so you'll get accurate measurements and if it does turn out to be a 8x57mm I'd stick with lighter loads because the straight pull M95's aren't nearly as strong as the 98 Mauser actions that cartridge was designed for. Heck, this might even be a good rifle to use to shoot light cast bullet loads out of using cast bullets with gas checks.

RHVEtte
05-08-2012, 21:23
That's a little disappointing to hear. I'm in an apartment, so I don't really feel comfortable doing something like that Cerrosafe stuff. I also don't have any 8mm Mauser reloading gear. In light of this, I think it would be best to try and see if they'll let me exchange it, since it was bought and sold on the pretense of being a proper M95.

They had a couple regular Mausers as well (Czech, Brazilian, and Yugo I think.) Which do you think I should try and swap for? They're all in about the same condition. They're all still 8mm, but at least they were built for it, so I should be able to just pick up some ammo to run through them.

Or maybe an Enfield. They also have a No4Mk1* and a couple of SMLEs.

raven11
05-08-2012, 21:45
That's a little disappointing to hear. I'm in an apartment, so I don't really feel comfortable doing something like that Cerrosafe stuff. I also don't have any 8mm Mauser reloading gear. In light of this, I think it would be best to try and see if they'll let me exchange it, since it was bought and sold on the pretense of being a proper M95.

They had a couple regular Mausers as well (Czech, Brazilian, and Yugo I think.) Which do you think I should try and swap for? They're all in about the same condition. They're all still 8mm, but at least they were built for it, so I should be able to just pick up some ammo to run through them.

Or maybe an Enfield. They also have a No4Mk1* and a couple of SMLEs.

I guess it depends what kind of rifle you like if the Brazilian rifle is a 1908 it's going to be a rifle similar in size to a GEW 98- a pretty long rifle.The yugo guessing it's a M48 is going to be k98 length , and the Czech guessing it's a Vz.24 is going to be carbine length - if you can afford the ammo I'd get the enfield personally as the bolt is very diffrent from regular rifles and it's a pretty fun gun to shoot

RHVEtte
05-08-2012, 22:12
I guess it depends what kind of rifle you like if the Brazilian rifle is a 1908 it's going to be a rifle similar in size to a GEW 98- a pretty long rifle.The yugo guessing it's a M48 is going to be k98 length , and the Czech guessing it's a Vz.24 is going to be carbine length - if you can afford the ammo I'd get the enfield personally as the bolt is very diffrent from regular rifles and it's a pretty fun gun to shoot

I actually don't know what model the Czech one is. It looks a lot like a K98k, actually. Hooded front sight, bent bolt, sling groove and bolt disassembly bezel in the stock. If I could definitively pin it down, I could better determine its worth. The Yugo was an M24/47, that I remember now.