Ultimate 10mm velocities and energy video [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate 10mm velocities and energy video

drsjr1969
05-08-2012, 20:57
Check out my latest video. Can you say 2000 FPS or imagine over 1000 ft lbs of energy ...................... yeah it happened!

http://youtu.be/GUyQ-E9aEnI

Kegs
05-09-2012, 08:56
I imagine its not too much of a problem with a longer barrel.

Personally, I have run the 135 nosler all the way up to 1834 fps and that figures in at over 1000 fpe.

That was out of a 4.45" barrel ---> longer barrels = higher velocity yet.

agtman
05-09-2012, 12:11
Check out my latest video. Can you say 2000 FPS or imagine over 1000 ft lbs of energy ...................... yeah it happened!
http://youtu.be/GUyQ-E9aEnI

Agree w/ Kegs.

But thanks for the effort and the link - cool stuff ... :cool:

drsjr1969
05-09-2012, 14:35
Tough crowd to please you guys that roll your own

Maybe I should have said 1200 ft lbs of energy .…… true story.

"10mm ammo" find this page on Facebook

agtman
05-09-2012, 15:17
Tough crowd to please you guys that roll your own

Maybe I should have said 1200 ft lbs of energy .…… true story.
"10mm ammo" find this page on Facebook

No, seriously, I appreciate all the 10Ringers who take the time to do this sort of researching, testing and load-development on our favorite cartridge, and then help the rest of us by posting or linking to the results! :thumbsup:

:)

Sierra9
05-09-2012, 17:17
Interesting. I would have liked to see Double Tap also shown in this side by side. DT has taken criticism for publishing velocities faster than reality. A side-by-side comparison to published vs real velocities on the same day, same elevation, same temp and same chronograph would give a nice comparative of the claims made by the various companies.

_The_Shadow
05-09-2012, 17:20
Thanks for the visual reports DRSJR1969, I posted on your facebook about the smiled brass.

Taterhead
05-09-2012, 20:13
Nice. There has been a lot of buzz about that Mech Tech setup. Tempting.

Ethereal Killer
05-09-2012, 20:25
2000fps with factory ammo out of a carbine using a pistol round is a significant achievement. that is 30 carbine territory and would yield some pretty significant terminal ballistics if the bullet would hold together.

gofastman
05-09-2012, 20:36
I cant wait to see what I can do with some 125gr gas checked SWC's

I think 2000 FPS should be reasonably easy to do with my 5.2" barrel+comp, depending upon if I can get a proper alloy to prevent the bullet from self destructing in the barrel.

harrygunner
05-09-2012, 21:32
'drsjr1969', even the 6" barrel was impressive.

"Ultimate video" sounds like it might be the "last one". But, you've tested just about all the 10mm rounds out there. Thanks for your series of videos.

I would have liked to see Double Tap also shown in this side by side.It made sense to pass on DT for the Ultimate Test. I don't know if pressure from Swampfox and Underwood has made them up their game, but based on 'drsjr1969' videos, speeds appear to have dropped about three years ago.

I suspect 'intercooler' is not a member here, but he recently videoed and recorded the speeds of some older Double Tap 10mm ammo.

2005-2007 era Double Tap 10mm ammo chronograph results:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=652805&page=7

I have a bunch of DT ammo from that time frame and provided some for testing. Performance was close to spec with those older rounds.

Yondering
05-09-2012, 21:35
I noticed the first round out of the Mechtech was lower velocity than the others with each batch of ammo - something going on there, but not sure what?

Gofastman, you'll need some seriously hard cast bullets, and very careful lube selection, for that kind of velocity without significant leading. You can do it with heat treated wheel weight alloy, but expect to be cleaning the bore often. I assume you're using some commercial cast bullet though? Where are you getting them? The common commercial casting alloy should be up to the task, but the lube may not be.

I've seen 1680 fps with my cast 160gr hollow points (1,000 ft-lb) from my 6.6" compensated long slide, but those loads were a bit hot for the LW barrel. Would probably be OK in a KKM or similar. I'd like to see what that would do in the MechTech.

bac1023
05-09-2012, 21:54
Thanks for the info

swinokur
05-10-2012, 04:09
Some penetration comparisons would be great as well.

gofastman
05-10-2012, 17:47
Gofastman, you'll need some seriously hard cast bullets, and very careful lube selection, for that kind of velocity without significant leading. You can do it with heat treated wheel weight alloy, but expect to be cleaning the bore often. I assume you're using some commercial cast bullet though? Where are you getting them? The common commercial casting alloy should be up to the task, but the lube may not be.

Im getting a Ballisti-Cast #965 mold (http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%20Designs%20Page%204.htm). Im going to be using soda can gas checks (kind of like the ones you make) on them.

I'm using that new TAC#1 stuff spoke with you about in a few PM's I sent. unfortunately I haven't had a chance to shoot any of it yet.

The alloy I use is mostly wheel weights with some Antimony and Tin added, it should be similar to Lyman #2 but with a trace of Arsenic in it. I would imagine with heat treating a BHN of around 30 wouldnt be out of the question :wow:

ModGlock17
05-14-2012, 19:00
I am interested in the "relative" accuracy at 15 yrds, 25yrds, and may be just accuracy at 50yrds.

Relative as in compared to a stock G20 at 15 and 25 yrds.

Thx.

If accuracy looks better, I'd be inclined to spend $500 with MechTech than a Gen4 10mm gun.

I'm also interested its chamber support, a close up picture of it.

You're getting to be a salesman for MechTech.

gofastman
05-14-2012, 21:41
does anybody know anything about these carbine kits yet?
I have heard of a few people using their regular barrels with good results. That 10" kit and shroud looks nice!
http://www.igbaustria.com/shop/index.php?cat=c42_IGB-Carbine-Barrels.html

TDC20
05-14-2012, 22:33
Nice work and thanks for sharing your data!

Yondering
05-14-2012, 22:44
Im getting a Ballisti-Cast #965 mold (http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%20Designs%20Page%204.htm). Im going to be using soda can gas checks (kind of like the ones you make) on them.

I'm using that new TAC#1 stuff spoke with you about in a few PM's I sent. unfortunately I haven't had a chance to shoot any of it yet.

The alloy I use is mostly wheel weights with some Antimony and Tin added, it should be similar to Lyman #2 but with a trace of Arsenic in it. I would imagine with heat treating a BHN of around 30 wouldnt be out of the question :wow:

I'm really interested to hear about your results. Maybe we'll have to do a bullet swap at some point.

Those 16" IGB barrels look pretty cool. Looks like there are ports in the barrel though, so you'd want to keep that in mind when shooting cast bullets. They should be OK with a gas check of some sort, but plain base cast bullets will suffer from uneven gas cutting of the base as the bullet passes the ports, which is usually bad for accuracy.

They do looks expensive though. You should buy one, and report back. :supergrin:

Kegs
05-15-2012, 08:23
I wonder what one of my hot 135 grainers would do through a mec tech. 2200 fps maybe?

I wish the mec tech people would make their unit fit the G29, because I have no interest in purchasing a G20.

The problem with getting mega energy from a handgun cartridge is that the ballistic coefficient of handgun bullets suck.

You would still be stuck with a massive drop out past 150y.

A .22LR has a flatter trajectory than a 135gr. nosler @ 2200fps...

.40 is okay for a rifle so long as you make the bullet about 4x longer than a 135 nosler. :supergrin:

GRT45
05-15-2012, 09:01
I wish the mec tech people would make their unit fit the G29, because I have no interest in purchasing a G20.

I have the same wish and mindset about the full-size pistols. I'd buy a MechTech CCU tomorrow if a model fit the G29/G30 receiver. I have little hope it will ever happen. Oh well, more business for makers of dedicated pistol caliber carbines. I have one on my to-do list.

ModGlock17
05-15-2012, 14:48

The problem with getting mega energy from a handgun cartridge is that the ballistic coefficient of handgun bullets suck.

I agree. One would have to decide what his needs/wants are. Handgun bullets can never replace a rifle's.

The only thing they would be good for, is when a mob is trying to run you over and you managed to get to the car. A rifle in the car would be too cumbersome with a 20"-26" barrel. A semi-auto sub is much better at 16" or less. An AK would be devastating but using the same ammo as your handgun is a good thing. Overall, I don't think the CCU convert would be good for anything over 75yrds or so, whereas 25 yrds is out of a handgun's effectiveness.

feet to < 15 yrds == Handguns

15yrds to 75yrds == sub with 16" barrels

75yrds - 100yrds == AK-47 type

100yrd - 600yrds == Precision rifles

0.5mile - 1.5miles == 50cal stuff...

I just pulled that out of the air...:supergrin:

dm1906
05-15-2012, 15:18
I wonder what one of my hot 135 grainers would do through a mec tech. 2200 fps maybe?

.40 is okay for a rifle so long as you make the bullet about 4x longer than a 135 nosler. :supergrin:

How do you figure? 36 gr. @ 1300 FPS vs. 135 gr. @ 2200 FPS, BC interpolated. Just askin'

leadslinger13
05-15-2012, 17:45
i used to own a mech tech for my 1911. it had decent accuracy out to about 75 yards with irons. never chronoed it. this does make me want to re think the carbine conversion for the 10. dam those are nice numbers. yes accuracy tests out to 100 yards along with some penatration tests are in order.

ModGlock17
05-15-2012, 19:55
.... decent accuracy out to about 75 yards with irons...

What does that mean ?

Could you comfortably group them inside a paper plate at 75 yrds ?

It would make sense to have a red dot on one, but not a scope.

leadslinger13
05-15-2012, 21:40
when i lived in phoenix we used to go out to the desert and shoot at a mannequin torso. the irons on the mech tech are crude but after walking it in you could hit it with a degree of regularity. i never gave it much thought other than a fun plinking gun so i never really tried to see how accurate it be. Now with these kind of numbers i would be more interested in putting the target time. I now it may not help much.... all i can say is that i was always surprised by what the mech tech could do. Yes a red dot would make much better.

Yondering
05-16-2012, 08:51
What does that mean ?

Could you comfortably group them inside a paper plate at 75 yrds ?

It would make sense to have a red dot on one, but not a scope.

I have a red dot on mine (45/1911 MechTech) but had a scope on it for a while. The scope did help, but only around the range it was sighted in for. With the right ammo, it shoots one hole at 25 yards. When you get used to the drop, it's easy to hit milk jugs (or rabbits) at 100yds.

Yes, mine will easily group all rounds inside a paper plate at 100, and farther.

ModGlock17
05-16-2012, 11:01
My AK can just do the paper plate comfortably @ 100yrds, well rested and scoped.

I stand corrected if I can get a 10mm MechTech into a paper plate at 100 yards.

The AK has arguably hotter round but the 10mm round is more common with the handgun. I think both would have the same speed on same bullet weight, with the edge (profile) goes to the AK but not much. The MTech can slide under the seat better. AK rounds are very cheap, bigger mags, but the barrel has all sorts of flexing and contorting as seen on high speed video.

MTech sounds very promising.

Good info, Gentlemen. Thx.

Yondering
05-16-2012, 16:48
My AK can just do the paper plate comfortably @ 100yrds, well rested and scoped.

Sounds about right. My MechTech is noticeably more accurate than the AK's I've used. Of course, they might not all be that way. Maybe I'm comparing a good MechTech to a bad AK? Mine's also a 45, not 10mm, so there may be accuracy differences due to caliber. I know my stock G21 in 45 is more accurate than my G20L, same was true with my 1911's in 45 vs 10mm or 40.

ModGlock17
05-16-2012, 21:39
Another aspect of this... is that you can mix and match calibers... by using a G21 frame on a 10mm CCU... since the G21 and G20 frames are the same (did I get that right?).

Is that really possible ?

leadslinger13
05-16-2012, 21:43
yes you may be able to use a 21 frame on the 10 mm mech tech but you can't shoot a 45 out of it.

ModGlock17
05-17-2012, 10:17
yes you may be able to use a 21 frame on the 10 mm mech tech but you can't shoot a 45 out of it.

Right. So for those who don't want to get a G20, they can still use a G21 and a 10mm CCU to get 10mm carbine capability.

leadslinger13
05-17-2012, 22:17
from mech tech :

"Example: The frame (lower unit) of a Glock designed to fire the 45 ACP cartridge in the assembled pistol can be safely used with a CCU Upper designed to fire the 10mm cartridge. This is accomplished by assembly of the 45 ACP Glock frame to the 10mm CCU and the use of a Glock 10mm magazine designed to be used with that series of frame size. This information is provided only to illustrate the flexibility of the Mech-Tech CCU."

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php